Kayle Build Guide by Detheus
Not Updated For Current Season
Not Updated For Current Season
In a world far away where an ancient war still rages, Kayle was a great hero - the strongest of an immortal race committed to destroying evil wherever it could be found. For ten thousand years, Kayle fought tirelessly for her people, wielding her flaming sword forged before time itself. She shielded her delicate features beneath her enchanted armor, the sole remaining masterpiece of an extinct race of craftsmen. Though a beautiful, striking creature, Kayle, now as then, avoids showing her face; war has taken a terrible toll upon her spirit. In her quest for victory, she sometimes would try to lift the wicked up from their morass of evil, but more than often she instead purged those she herself deemed beyond redemption. To Kayle, justice can so often be an ugly thing.
Ten years ago, Kayle's war against evil was nearly won... until her rebellious sister Morgana, a pariah amongst their people, suddenly gained powerful new allies: magicians of a hitherto unknown world called Runeterra. Morgana traded servitude to a number of the summoners in Runeterra's League of Legends for powerful new abilities that, if mastered, threatened to bring Kayle and her people to their knees. To save her world, Kayle had no choice but to make a pact with the League herself. She approached the leader of the League, High Counselor Reginald Ashram, with a deal of her own. In exchange for a thousand years of Kayle's service, Ashram halted all League interference on Kayle's world. With Ashram's disappearance five years ago, Kayle has new causes on Valoran: find out who or what caused Ashram to disappear, defeat her sister Morgana upon the Fields of Justice, and bring her own brand of justice to the League of Legends.
"In the League of Legends, Justice comes on swift wings."
Pros and Cons
- Does a surprising amount of burst damage early on
- Has a game changing ult on low cooldown
- Can effectively keep enemies at a distance
- Becomes stronger the longer the game lasts
- Has a fairly weak early game
- Squishy without her ult and prone to burst damage
- Gap closing champions such as Akali can be difficult to deal with without allies
For runes I find that the following set up is a great balance between offensive and defensive runes.
x9 The attack speed really helps your early game and contributes significantly throughout the rest of the game.
x9 Kayle is not a very mana hungry champion therefore i choose to forgo Greater seal of replenishment however, if you choose not to build a philosopher's stone mp5 seals would become necessary.
x9 With the CDR given by our items and masteries we will be able to have Righteous Fury up at all times thus CDR gylphs are unnecessary. Plus the MR late game helps your survivability against magic damage which is much needed in this build.
- x3 These are a matter of preference personally I think Greater Quintessence of Attack Speed and greater quintessence of desolation are also viable in my opinion.
I opt for 9-21-0 for the magic penetration as well as the additional survivability that the defensive tree adds. Kayle excels in the late game, the problem is getting to it with a good early game. With masteries in the defensive tree it allows you to harass and to be harassed to a much greater degree than the other trees would allow.
Flash is probably the most useful summoner spell in the game. It has so many uses. It helps you escape a gank or allows you to reposition yourself in order to get in that last hit on a fleeing enemy. Take it
Your second summoner spell allows for some flexibility. Personally I'm a fan of exhaust on Kayle. It allows you to keep and enemy from running away from you as well having the ability to shut down melee or ranged dps attacking your team.
Other viable options include:
Allows you to chase and retreat effectively. Ghost combined with Divine Blessing gives a massive speed boost which allows you to turret dive an enemy with low health and get out while taking minimal damage.
Adds a bit more offense to your arsenal. Useful for healers such as Soraka, Vladimir and Dr. Mundo
- If you are big on map control teleport is the summoner spell for you.
- philosopher's stone For great lane sustainability, plus the gold per 5 is nice.
Attack speed is a must for Kayle, if you need are against a team with an overwhemling amount of crowd control then building Mercury's Treads is ok however it will slow down your build a bit. Another option for tenacity would be upgrading your Philosopher's stone into Eleisa's Miracle
CDR, attack speed, MP5, ability power this item has it all. while obtaining this item I strongly suggest getting Stinger first, because the added attack speed it gives really helps you transition into a a strong mid game.
- Ah. The purpose of this build once you get this bad boy the enemy team will melt under your Righteous Fury by this time your attack speed is fairly high and with each hit you will be taking off 4% of the enemy's health bar. This set up destroys players who choose to stack health such as Cho'Gath.
The game usually does not last much longer after you obtain your maldred's bloodrazor but, if it does you have some options.
More Damage / offensive items:
This item has AP, AD, and extra attack speed with each hit this is a great choice it the game is running long.
An extremely expensive item and in my opinion if you are able to build this item the game has lasted way too long but, if you are able to build it you become virtually invincible. It's an amazing hybrid item that has AP, spell vamp., AD, lifesteal, and an active ability that deals damage and slows the target. This item screams OP for Kayle.
AD, attack speed, and a debuff on the enemies armor. A great item if your team has two or more AD characters. Also useful if the team is stacking armor.
Trinity force is good I believe there are better items out there for Kayle (Mainly items that have attack speed as well)
having trouble with casters or CC? The spell shield will save your arse!
Great item versus a team full of physical DPS. The active slow helps keep them off you while Reckoning is on CD
Tips on how to play Kayle
A few tips that might be useful to newer Kayle players (and older ones as well!)
- You are a ranged champion from level one! Do not go into melee range with melee characters unless it is to last hit minions and even then you must be careful.
- Use Righteous Fury to last hit minions. It is really easy to push the lane as Kayle but you must resist doing so. Having a pushed lane is never a good idea, especially in the early game when you are most vulnerable.
- Use Intervention like Tryndamere's Undying Rage. It is most effective to use on yourself or an ally who is just about to die. It's almost as if enemy players believe they can DPS through it. It really can change the outcome of a battle.
- Use Divine Blessing to get around the map more quickly. It also has great uses in turret diving and chasing down fleeing champions.
- Try to use Reckoning and Righteous Fury together. They combo great with each other. Also while harassing attempt to get closer than maximum range because it will ensure the most amount of hits from Righteous Fury
This build is intended to get Kayle to late game status as quick as possible and I feel it does a very good job at it.
Kayle can be great fun if played correctly and can carry an entire team late game. This has been my first guide so any constructive criticism would be appreciated :) thanks guys