get
prime

Kog'Maw Build Guide by TheSavior

Not Updated For Current Season

This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.


43K
Views
29
Comments
27
Votes
League of Legends Build Guide Author TheSavior

Kog Maw - Death From Above

TheSavior Last updated on April 22, 2012
Like Build on Facebook Tweet This Build Share This Build on Reddit

Quick Comment

You need to log in before commenting.

[-] Collapse All Comments

Sort Comments By
1
[-]
serratedblade67 | July 10, 2012 11:23pm
i found a really good trick for those who like spamming his ulti what u want to do is buy a tear of the goddess then sit on ur summoner circle and spam for a bit togain mana then evrytime u retreat or die use it some more and you should be able to use his ulti alot without running out of mana!
1
[-]
telemaco | May 29, 2012 4:14am
I saw your build in game, i was panth ;), and u destroy the middle, nice job
1
[-]
Baconzer | May 14, 2012 5:27pm
Voted -1
this build really isnt meant for kogmaw, his W is a unique ability and doesnt stack with madred, and also he has no real sustain at all, please dont deter this much from the regular AD carry standardized build ^w^
1
[-]
RealmriderX1 (91) | April 16, 2012 6:25am
Voted +1
Nicely done. 1+
1
[-]
Vitigam (33) | April 9, 2012 9:04am
Hey, I am reviewing you guide because of your request on JhoJhoi's Review Shop.

First off, get Berserker's Greaves before Malady.

In your cons, "Not a lot of escapability" and "No Way to Escape", are the same thing. No need to add both of them.

The biggest problem with your build IMO, is, you have no surivability at all! Absolutely nothing. Greater Seal of Alaricity is nice and all, but Greater Seal of Resilliance is much better. Trust me, damage is nice, but a dead Kogmow is useless. Also, CDR on Kogmow? I think your forgetting two things. 1. Kogmow is mana hungry. 2. And most importantly, Kogmow is an AD/AS Champion, not a caster. You will run out of mana very fast anyways if you spam with your CDR. And Kogmow is a right-click champion. Get Greater Glyph of Magic Resist instead.

For your items, I would recoment taking of Madred's. Replace it with a Guardian Angel.
It is an amazing item, MR and Armor and a nice passive. If you don't want to lose damage, Frozen Mallet is there as well. And try to add a Last Whisperer in to the build somehow, if the enemy starts getting armor, you won't do much damage.

Laning Champs and Game-Play needs to be more in-depth.

Nice work on the guide and nice lay-out. Awaiting your reply and will vote when I get a reply.

For my review, I would like you to review my Kennen guide and +rep if possible.

Thanks,
Vitigam
1
[-]
TheSavior (9) | April 4, 2012 6:55pm
MissMaw wrote:

So I'll just start with the cheat sheet,
I don't like your purchase order, like zerk's should go before any other item. Yout item build has no survibility what's-so-ever. Like even with the 300 damage he will die in seconds.
Armor seals man, armor seals. They're like the best rune in the game >.> Plus you don't mention any flat AD runes...


Firstly, thank you for reminding me about that actually. I have meant to put Zerk's before malady but it slipped my mind. Secondly, I will keep in mind the Armor seals, I didn't really think too much about them but after a few comments given to me stressing them, including yours, I will definitely try them out.

MissMaw wrote:
-First of all, you keep saying stuff like Amazing Range with his Bio-Arcane Barrage, the truth is that while W gives you a range boost the real amazing range he has is his ultimate (duh :p)


Haha, yes obviously his ultimate has incredible range, and I suppose I should stress that more. But what I wanted to do was keep Bio-Arcane Barrage in mind. It increases your range by an exceptional amount, and I think I a lot of people underestimate it.

MissMaw wrote:
-Cons section is kinda off.
Like you said, Not a lot of escapability and then you said No real way to escape. Which is the same thing. Also wrote Can be hard early game.. but you didn't say what. Did you mean the gameplay? Having no escape?


Thank you for pointing that out, I will adjust it accordingly. As for the early game comment, the reason I did not explain what I meant by it can be hard early game, is merely because of the problem it had with my coding, as it made the entire section look off because of the length. I will, however add more information under the Information chapter regarding the pros and cons and explain them more.

MissMaw wrote:

-You gave zero alternatives. No alternative runes.. No alternative masteries.. No alternative items..
-I don't think you understand what Situational Items are. They're not the item you switch doran's with, they're the item that you take when your team is xxx, or the enemy team is xxx


On the contrary, I did in fact add alternative runes under my preferred one (although not armor seals yet). The alternative masteries I am working on thanks to Jpikachu1999's comment, and I have been testing each of the ones we discussed more. As for your comments on my situational items. That section does say depending on the team and the way the game is going. However I did in fact mix alternative with situational items, which I shouldn't have done and am editing to clear up some confusion. My only alternative items on there are the The Bloodthirster, Mercury Treads and the Frozen Mallet, while there are others that I need to add.

I will adjust this section to split up the situational and alternative items. I am also editing the items to give more detail on the item and situation it should be used in.

MissMaw wrote:

-Should go more in-depth with the Laning partners chapter.


Thank you for the advice.

MissMaw wrote:

-You didn't mention anything about when to take doran's blade or vampiric scepter (i don't think that's good that early anyway) or boots.


Adding more information about the situations. As for the vampiric scepter, I am actually taking it out. I don't like it as much as I did. It is not as viable as it was in less competitive matches.

MissMaw wrote:

-You didn't say anything about farming or last hitting, which is crucial on ad carries.


I did mention it once, but I didnt go into specifics and basically just said that you need to last hit. I will add a more detailed portion of that, thanks!

MissMaw wrote:

Well that's about it, hit me a pm if you fix some stuff from above and want a rereview :p
It's been a pleasure ^


Thank you very, very much for criticizing my guide! Note, these above changes have not all gone into effect yet and I will PM you when I request a re-review. Thanks again!
1
[-]
Fulundry (68) | April 4, 2012 6:17pm
Voted +1
Well, this is a super glass cannon build, and you really only have one way of escaping. If you have a decent team that can protect you, you'll destroy everything in sight, but it's kinda situational. Still, the guide is well coded, explanations are good, and I do think it will be effective much of the time.
1
[-]
MissMaw (631) | April 4, 2012 1:02pm
Hiya, I'm here reviewing your guide upon your request at jhoijhoi's review shop.

So I'll just start with the cheat sheet,
I don't like your purchase order, like zerk's should go before any other item. Yout item build has no survibility what's-so-ever. Like even with the 300 damage he will die in seconds.
Armor seals man, armor seals. They're like the best rune in the game >.> Plus you don't mention any flat AD runes...

On to the guide,
-First of all, you keep saying stuff like Amazing Range with his Bio-Arcane Barrage, the truth is that while W gives you a range boost the real amazing range he has is his ultimate (duh :p)
-Cons section is kinda off.
Like you said, Not a lot of escapability and then you said No real way to escape. Which is the same thing. Also wrote Can be hard early game.. but you didn't say what. Did you mean the gameplay? Having no escape?
-You gave zero alternatives. No alternative runes.. No alternative masteries.. No alternative items..
-I don't think you understand what Situational Items are. They're not the item you switch doran's with, they're the item that you take when your team is xxx, or the enemy team is xxx.
-Should go more in-depth with the Laning partners chapter.
-You didn't mention anything about when to take doran's blade or vampiric scepter (i don't think that's good that early anyway) or boots.
-Didn't mention Late game
-Should put some space between the screen shots and the text in Tips and Screenshots chapter.
-You didn't say anything about farming or last hitting , which is crucial on ad carries.

Well that's about it, hit me a pm if you fix some stuff from above and want a rereview :p
It's been a pleasure ^^
1
[-]
Minami (48) | April 3, 2012 1:43am
great guide! +1 from me
Short yet detailed with clips and images, not so boring like other guides~
Love it~
1
[-]
Jpikachu1999 (151) | April 2, 2012 6:46pm
TheSavior wrote:

I would like to start of by saying thank you so much Jpikachu1999 for reading my guide. Thank you for the complements and advice. Here are my responses to your very well critic and suggestions:



I actually have taken notice to this issue. I do use a lot of on-hit magic damage abilities and I have been trying to figure out a way to properly balance my build. I have a choice between Armor Pen and Magic pen in my masteries. I do like the 10% armor pen perk from Weapon Expertise but as you have pointed out, I think that the Magic pen would be more effective. I also decided to add Last Whisper to the situational items section. This gives the player the in game option to decide if they need the extra 40% armor penetration due to a tanky team.



I actually just recently changed it from those to Vigor . The reason for this is, from my experience I found that the health regeneration is much more effective than flat health. It helps, at least it proves to have for me, to be able to stay in lane much longer when paired with Doran's Blade and Vampirism . Now sort of following into your next part of your advice, if they ARE finding themselves having laning problems, I did list that they can purchase Greater Quintessence of Health to make up for those two perks.



I am currently working on that section as well. I meant to do it but it just kind of lost itself in the back of my mind. I am working to more clearly state those that are also mentioned in my rune page that they are alternative.



Well, the thing is I do actually have it set up with float=left. It might be because I have it set up like this however:
Code:
[center][icon=heal size=64 float=left][center][icon=heal size=64 float=right] I get Heal primarily if I dont have a healing support and their is a heavy hitter or harasser in the enemy lane. (Remember I only know to do this this for ranked, based on viewing the enemy teams AD Carry) It is also nice to pick up if your support does not have a heal and does not take this.

With the picture code above the text opposed to it being next to it.



Good idea! Thank you for pointing that out.



Thank you for your recommendation, as I have put the Runes and masteries above summoner spells and abilities. However, I do like the Laning partner sections before the Item build. It might just be me but I think it looks better that way!

THanks again for reading and criticizing my guide! I will be sure to return the favor and +rep!


Switching from the ArPen mastery? Hmm, well, you do have Sunder Arpen Marks/Quints, and Caustic Spittle. So, I guess your ok. I was going to suggest Deadliness and Lethality , as 9 AD really isn't that much late game, and 10% extra crit damage, while nice, I don't think is that great.

Assuming you do 200 normal, which I think is realistic:

200 * 2.6 = 420 damage

200 * 2.5 ( Infinity Edge only) = 400

As you can see, it's only 20 damage with a base of 200 damage per hit. While that may add up over many hits, so does your extra magic damage from the magic pen.

Fair enough on Vigor . I think that if you don't have a healing laning partner though, and thus are kind of forced to start Boots 3x health pots, that the flat health would help make up for not starting with Doran's Blade.

Interesting, well, if you like it that way, keep it that way! Personal preference is something that is very welcome in guide creation :)

I'm glad I could help you with your guide! I gave it a +1. Good luck on your guide; it definitely deserves a higher spot than it has right now.
1
[-]
TheSavior (9) | April 2, 2012 5:55pm
I would like to start of by saying thank you so much Jpikachu1999 for reading my guide. Thank you for the complements and advice. Here are my responses to your very well critic and suggestions:

Quoted:
Since you do so much magic damage through Malady, Madred's Bloodrazor, Bio-Arcane Barrage, and possible Wit's End, I would recommend moving 5 points from somewhere in offense into Sorcery, and mainly, Arcane Knowledge. That magic pen would greatly help your damage, at least in my opinion.


I actually have taken notice to this issue. I do use a lot of on-hit magic damage abilities and I have been trying to figure out a way to properly balance my build. I have a choice between Armor Pen and Magic pen in my masteries. I do like the 10% armor pen perk from Weapon Expertise but as you have pointed out, I think that the Magic pen would be more effective. I also decided to add Last Whisper to the situational items section. This gives the player the in game option to decide if they need the extra 40% armor penetration due to a tanky team.

Quoted:

You also say that you get Vigor for early laning phase, well, what about Durability and Veteran's Scars? They help quite a bit early game, not so useful late game. What are your thoughts?


I actually just recently changed it from those to Vigor . The reason for this is, from my experience I found that the health regeneration is much more effective than flat health. It helps, at least it proves to have for me, to be able to stay in lane much longer when paired with Doran's Blade and Vampirism . Now sort of following into your next part of your advice, if they ARE finding themselves having laning problems, I did list that they can purchase Greater Quintessence of Health to make up for those two perks.

Quoted:

Maybe add some other viable runes? I think your runes you have already are good, but people like to have options. Some people prefer mana regen, as opposed to AS, etc.


I am currently working on that section as well. I meant to do it but it just kind of lost itself in the back of my mind. I am working to more clearly state those that are also mentioned in my rune page that they are alternative.

Quoted:
I think in your summoner spells section, and your situational items section, you can probably use the "float" code to make the icon line up with the text better. For example:
Code:
Code:
[icon=heal size=50 float=left]

OR
Code:
[
Code:
icon=wit's end size=50 float=left]

They would yield:

I get Heal primarily if I dont have a healing support and their is a heavy hitter or harasser in the enemy lane. (Remember I only know to do this this for ranked, based on viewing the enemy teams AD Carry) It is also nice to pick up if your support does not have a heal and does not take this.

This is one of my favorite items. It is incredibly useful if they have an AP heavy team, but it also does 42 extra magic damage per attack.


You can decide whether columns or float looks better for your icons. ^^ That's just a suggestion.


Well, the thing is I do actually have it set up with float=left. It might be because I have it set up like this however:
Code:
[center][icon=heal size=64 float=left][center][icon=heal size=64 float=right] I get Heal primarily if I dont have a healing support and their is a heavy hitter or harasser in the enemy lane. (Remember I only know to do this this for ranked, based on viewing the enemy teams AD Carry) It is also nice to pick up if your support does not have a heal and does not take this.

With the picture code above the text opposed to it being next to it.

Quoted:
I think, I haven't played Kog much, so forgive me if I'm wrong, that you can scout Dragon and Baron with Living Artillery. If you can, maybe take some screenshots? I don't mean to be too picky, I just think that it would be useful to know where to scout Dragon and Baron.


Good idea! Thank you for pointing that out.

Quoted:

I would recommend switching your chapter order around a little bit. I would probably organize it like this (again, this is just a suggestion, you can keep it the way that you want):

Author's Preface
Introduction
Pros/Cons
Runes
Masteries
Summoner Spells (I think you can combine the recommended ones and the situational together)
Abilities
Items
Situational Items
Laning Partners
Gameplay
Tips and Screenshots
Postlude and Thank You's
Updates


Thank you for your recommendation, as I have put the Runes and masteries above summoner spells and abilities. However, I do like the Laning partner sections before the Item build. It might just be me but I think it looks better that way!

THanks again for reading and criticizing my guide! I will be sure to return the favor and +rep!
1
[-]
Jpikachu1999 (151) | April 2, 2012 9:34am
Hello, I'm reviewing your guide based upon your request for a trade at jhoijhoi's review shop. For reviewing your guide, I wouldn't mind a review on my guide, or a +rep. Thank you.

First off, I love the guide. It looks really amazing and gives you a ton of information about how to play Kog'Maw. I also like how you put a bunch of screen shots for how to gank lanes and snipe people under their towers. I can tell you put a lot of work into the guide, and I will definitely use it the next time I play Kog'Maw.

Here are a few suggestions I have.

Since you do so much magic damage through Malady, Madred's Bloodrazor, Bio-Arcane Barrage, and possible Wit's End, I would recommend moving 5 points from somewhere in offense into Sorcery , and mainly, Arcane Knowledge . That magic pen would greatly help your damage, at least in my opinion.

You also say that you get Vigor for early laning phase, well, what about Durability and Veteran's Scars ? They help quite a bit early game, not so useful late game. What are your thoughts?

Maybe add some other viable runes? I think your runes you have already are good, but people like to have options. Some people prefer mana regen, as opposed to AS, etc.

I think in your summoner spells section, and your situational items section, you can probably use the "float" code to make the icon line up with the text better. For example:
Code:
[icon=heal size=50 float=left]

OR
Code:
[icon=wit's end size=50 float=left]

They would yield:

I get Heal primarily if I dont have a healing support and their is a heavy hitter or harasser in the enemy lane. (Remember I only know to do this this for ranked, based on viewing the enemy teams AD Carry) It is also nice to pick up if your support does not have a heal and does not take this.

This is one of my favorite items. It is incredibly useful if they have an AP heavy team, but it also does 42 extra magic damage per attack.


You can decide whether columns or float looks better for your icons. ^^ That's just a suggestion.

I think, I haven't played Kog much, so forgive me if I'm wrong, that you can scout Dragon and Baron with Living Artillery. If you can, maybe take some screenshots? I don't mean to be too picky, I just think that it would be useful to know where to scout Dragon and Baron.

I would recommend switching your chapter order around a little bit. I would probably organize it like this (again, this is just a suggestion, you can keep it the way that you want):

Author's Preface
Introduction
Pros/Cons
Runes
Masteries
Summoner Spells (I think you can combine the recommended ones and the situational together)
Abilities
Items
Situational Items
Laning Partners
Gameplay
Tips and Screenshots
Postlude and Thank You's
Updates

Your guide is amazing, and well on it's way to being the top guide. If you have reasons for some of your choices, don't feel forced to change your guide! I'll wait until you reply to my post to vote, but I'll give you a hint, it's almost certainly an upvote :)
1
[-]
TheSavior (9) | April 1, 2012 9:39pm
Thank you so much for your suuport! I will definitely try your suggestion with Infinity Edge and Phantom Dancer and see if they work better!
1
[-]
CombatJack1 (88) | April 1, 2012 5:12pm
This is a much better guide than the score reflects, I really think you've already created a very solid resource here and I commend you for that. Your explanations are sound, coding is very good, and it's easy to read more than anything. I would recommend that you get that Infinity Edge and Phantom Dancer before your Madred's Bloodrazor though because I'm fairly certain that that combo does the most damage per second. But seriously great job +1 from me my friend. PM me if you have any questions about coding, aesthetics, or even kog maw strategy, I know a thing or two.
1
[-]
TheSavior (9) | April 1, 2012 3:12pm
Thanks for your feedback!
1
[-]
Agoney (156) | April 1, 2012 12:58pm
I like this guide a lot. Really good build and skill explinations. Cant really complain about anything. +1 all the way.
1
[-]
TheSavior (9) | April 1, 2012 12:40am

well fixed and all

+1


Thanks! Means a lot coming from you!
1
[-]
A Chubby Baby (290) | April 1, 2012 12:16am
well fixed and all

+1
1
[-]
TheSavior (9) | March 31, 2012 11:49pm

Looks solid. The only thing I think you should change is the marks and quints. Flat AD will do far more and so much of your damage (even mid and late game) is magic. His output is pretty much hybrid so your penetration is only working on half your damage.

Otherwise, looks good!


Thanks for the critic! The reason I go for Armor pen is simply because I am going almost all AD (with the exception of Malady. I have found that the armor pen during early game helps a lot more that flat AD runes because you are doing true damage for most of the early levels. Especially if you are faced with a tanky support or jungler, such as Leona or Malphite. As for the later levels, I understand that your bio-arcane barrage and Madred's Bloodrazor does apply magic damage, but I get a scarce amount of AP so my armor pen really doesn't add up to only effecting half. Plus I also am getting Malady as my first core item, which allows for AP Meg Pen and Attack speed.

Thank you very much for your point though!
1
[-]
ankatur | March 26, 2012 12:47pm
Voted +1
kog interesting I'll try and tell you something ...
1
[-]
Vecksu | February 21, 2012 6:50pm
Voted +1
Short and sweet, but detailed at the same time! Thanks! :D
1
[-]
PrinceAbubu (3) | February 21, 2012 10:30am
Voted +1
Looks solid. The only thing I think you should change is the marks and quints. Flat AD will do far more and so much of your damage (even mid and late game) is magic. His output is pretty much hybrid so your penetration is only working on half your damage.

Otherwise, looks good!
1
[-]
Cha Ching | February 21, 2012 7:18am
Voted +1
Good guide
1
[-]
TheSavior (9) | February 21, 2012 7:14am

It'd be a better idea just to go for straight madred's bloodrazor. Also I do believe that because of kog'maw's awesome range, ignite is not needed. Instead, due to the recent Heal buff, it is much more viable. Exhaust can also be a consideration. I will not vote yet as I see needed improvement.


Thanks for your input on Ignite, as I have found exhaust to work better with him. I have given you credit in my guide for the change. AS for getting madreds first, I'll have to play around with doing just that. The only thing I worry about it the cost, as it is a fairly expensive item and you only get its full potential once the item is completely built. Where as Malady is fairly cheap and adds some damage output and speed, but because the Malady gives you no direct attack damage I rush a Pickaxe next. But nevertheless I will tinker around with going straight to bloodrazor to find if it suits this build better.
1
[-]
Aelfinn2 (3) | February 21, 2012 5:00am
Voted +1
Overall looks like a good Kog build, and is similar to what i used to run. I always get phantom dancers earlier though because i find the movement speed buff secures more kills than the actual damage output. All in all a well reasoned, strong build.
1
[-]
A Chubby Baby (290) | February 21, 2012 3:30am
It'd be a better idea just to go for straight madred's bloodrazor. Also I do believe that because of kog'maw's awesome range, ignite is not needed. Instead, due to the recent Heal buff, it is much more viable. Exhaust can also be a consideration. I will not vote yet as I see needed improvement.
1
[-]
ziggs100 | February 21, 2012 1:30am
Voted -1
i tried but its bad build
1
[-]
maskagar | February 21, 2012 12:50am
Voted +1
Good build :)
1
[-]
ShrideRR (3) | February 21, 2012 12:40am
wow thx gonna start usin kogmaw too ;) hope the guide helps me