Kennen Build Guide by AresGod
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
This is my third guide, and I will be showing you my build for Kennen the Heart of the Tempest, who has earned me a huge amount of kills and few deaths over the time I have played him.
Please try the build before commenting or voting.
I start with Doran's Shield because I find that in early game, Kennen needs health and health regen over AP. This also stops me recalling too early on and losing out on valuable xp.
I then move on to the Hextech Revolver for its spell vamp. This is why I also build it into the Will of the Ancients, and also buy another Hextech Revolver (give 40% spell vamp, which is very useful).
Boots of Lucidity
Boots of Lucidity, Give kennen a very good pusher, because he can keep thowing out shurikens, and keep the enemy under pressure.
I then start building the Rabadon's Deathcap, because the huge amount of Ability Power it gives is very useful in anygame.
I like to get Void Staff by this stage, as Kennen needs more spell penetration due to not gaving got the Sorcerer's Shoes.
At this point the game should be well evolved, and so I sell my Doran's Shield and buy another Rabadon's Deathcap because this gives me 140 AP, + the 30% increased ability power of the previous one.
Usually the game would end soon after buying Rabadon's Deathcap (#2), however if the game is one of the rare epicly long ones, then it's always best to evolove your Hextech Revolver into a Hextech Gunblade, as it will give you some Lifesteal and also increased attack power and apility power. Thus proving better than just the Hextech Revolver.
For my Quint's, I choose Ability power, as Kennen needs a reasonable amount of AP without buying an AP item at level 1.
Magic menetration is important for Kennen, especially early game, where you can do alot of damage with one Thundering Shuriken.
Health is important early game, and this is why I buy [[Doran's Shield''. Therefore health seals add to Kennens health making him less squishy.
For my Glyphs, I choose Ability power, as Kennen needs a reasonable amount of AP without buying an AP item at level 1.
This a very useful summoner spell for burning a retreating enemy on low hp. It's especially useful during the laning stage (mainly early on - levels 1 to 6).
This summoner spell if useful with every champion, allowing the champion to junp most jungle walls etc. Very good for escaping.
Other Summoner Spells That Are Useful
I like to get my Thundering Shuriken to first, and then max it 2nd. This is because at level 1 it is very good for pressuring and last hitting.
I like to get Electrical Surge at level 2, and then max this 1st. This is because you can puit a mark on the enemy and minions with your other skills, and this one can hit anything with a mark, thus proving very useful when the enemy has one and is fleeing, while in range.
Lightning Rush I always get at level 3, but after that I make it my last priority as the other abilities are better to level. Lightning Rush is a very useful ability as it helps you to chase enemy champions and move fast. It is also very good at getting alot of marks on enemy minions and champions quickly, for you to then use Electrical Surge to do large damage.
As usual, you must always level your ultimate whenever you get the chance - level 6, level 11, and level 16.
Early Game (Level 1-6) Tips
- Use your Thundering Shuriken to harass your enemy and to help you last hit.
- Track the passive effect on Electrical Surge, you can use it and your Thundering Shuriken to land easy stuns (very deadly in a side 2v2 lane - however I try to always play mid with kennen)
- If the enemy is being difficult to hit with Thundering Shuriken you can reposition yourself quickly with Lightning Rush to hit them.
Mid Game (Level 7-12) Tips
- Start ganking lanes, lead with Thundering Shuriken if the are in the open and follow that up with Lightning Rush (close the gap and give them another Mark) and then finish with your ultimate and Electrical Surge. If the enemy is blocked by minions, consider leading with Lightning Rush.
- Don't take any un-needed risks and be sure to be part of all team skirmishes for assist stacks.
- Red and Blue buff work quite nicely on Kennen through middle game if nobody else needs them (or you manage to steal the enemies)
- You can start using Lightning Rush and Electrical Surge to farm up uncontested minion waves quickly.
Late Game (Level 13-18) Tips
- Focus on correctly timing your ultimate, a few seconds after the initiation by your tank. Lead with Lightning Rush tagging as many enemies as possible before using your ultimate, this will ensure they get stunned within it, disabling them for your team.
- You should be constantly poking the enemy with your Thundering Shuriken to weaken them before the team fight.
- Continue to farm up heavily (and push as required) with Lightning Rush and Electrical Surge, Kennen is capable of destroying entire minion waves instantly late game.
- If you are carrying the team, red and blue buff (more importantly blue) are great assets on Kennen, with the increased buff duration from utility you get great use out of it.
I know this guide doesn't contain as much information as other guides you may read, but the important information is here, and I hope that you enjoy playing Kennen as much as I do.
Please use this guide to learn and improve your gameplay and I hope this was useful to you.
Any comments are welcome, also critics.