Lee Sin Build Guide by GeeMan
Not Updated For Current Season
Surviving The Jungle
Lee Sin Build
Hunter's Machete Upgrade Options(Choose One)
Not Updated For Current Season
Going into the jungle. [Introduction]
Hi guys!My IGN is GeeMan and I play on the South East Asian server!This is my first time creating a guide,thus not having the knowledge to make this guide look fancy with all the images and stuff,apologies.Moving from my main lane(TOP)to jungle I've picked up Lee Sin and here I am,creating this guide.Lee Sin is a very aggressive champion yet equipped with very flexible movement.Lee Sin is best suited for TOP lane and JUNGLE,but going to Mid lane is not a bad option.Following this guide,I can say that you will be prepared to ace the enemy's team very soon.There are many builds to play Lee Sin,such as when you need to suit to the enemy's damage,but this guide provides a standard build for Lee Sin players to use.I do try other builds such as playing Lee Sin with full-on AD or Lee Sin as a TANK as they work well too,but let's stick to this guide as a semi-tank jungler.
Choosing your runes. [Runes]
MARK OF ATTACK DAMAGE Mark of Attack Damage
Let's start with the Mark of Attack Damage on your Greater Marks.Most Lee Sin players would use this on your Red(Greater Marks)Runes,whether you're playing as the jungler or the top lane.This rune is definitely the best to go on with a aggressive Lee Sin.Lee Sin's AD ratios are good,thus using this Rune can't go wrong.With a good amount of AD given by these runes,you will be able to clear the jungle much faster.It also gives more early game damage so you will be able to gank harder.
GLYPH OF MAGIC RESIST Glyph of Magic Resist
This is great on building a semi-tank Lee Sin.It gives you good Magic Resist early game.And if you ask:"what happens late game?" Do not fret fellow summoners,as going into the mid/late game you probably already bought the Hexdrinker(Mid Game) and upgraded it to the Maw of Malmortius(Late Game).If you are afraid that the Maw of Malmortius +36 magic resist is not enough,going for a Guardian Angel or Mercurial Scimitar would also be viable.You could also switch this rune for the Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist which gives you Magic Resist by level,which also is a good choice.
SEAL OF ARMOR Seal of Armor
This is a must-use for Jungle Lee Sin.It makes you more durable in the jungle thus lasting longer.Armor is also used by all(or most)junglers.If you REALLY don't want armor,swapping this with Runes containing health might also do the job,but it is not wise to do so.
QUINT OF ARMOR PENETRATION Quintessence of Armor Penetration
This one is worth discussing.Most say that going with the Quintessence of Attack Damage is the way to go,and I do not disagree.Even though most people favor the Quintessence of Attack Damage,the Quintessence of Armor Penetration still does the job.Lee Sin has a good amount of damage early game,thus the Quintessence of Armor Penetration goes well along with it,penetrating their armor early game,dealing tons of damage(as Phreak would say).Some might ask:"won't you clear the jungle camps much faster and gank better with the Quintessence of Attack Damage?",and I say that is 50% correct.With the Quintessence of Armor Penetration,you will be able to smash the jungle camps much faster as the jungle creeps mostly run on armor, Giant Wolf has 9 armor and the Wraith has 15 armor etc.This is up to you to decide,but I generally prefer the Quintessence of Armor Penetration.You could swap this for the Quintessence of Life Steal,as it does well early game,but becomes worse as time passes by because you would probably get a The Bloodthirster which gives great amount of lifesteal.
Choosing your masteries. [Masteries]
Why go with 21/9/0?
Why do I go 21/9/0 which emphasizes on the offence tree and not 9/21/0 which gives Lee Sin much more durability?That's because 9 in defense with a Warmog's Armor is what Lee Sin needs for a semi tank.(Not to mention Frozen Mallet)This is has already fulfilled your semi-tank position.With 21 in offence,your Sonic Wave / Resonating Strike and Tempest / Cripple does a whole ton of damage early game.This will give you the best damage output you need to crush the enemy team.Ganking lanes would be easier,too.
WHY I CHOSE THIS!
- Butcher It gives you a little more damage to deal with jungle camps.Even though it isn't a big deal,I choose it because it allows me to clear the camps faster(just a little faster).
- Sorcery Why choose cooldown over attack speed?4% cooldown is much more useful than 4% attack speed,as I feel putting 4 mastery points in Sorcery is much more efficient where you can use your skills much more with your The Brutalizer(If you buy it) which gives you %10 cooldown.This will add up to %14(duh) cooldown which is much better than %4 attack speed.
- Weapon Expertise +%8 armor penetration works well with your Quint of Armor Penetration and Sunder .With so much armor penetration you will be able to do so much damage.(Not to mention if you get a The Black Cleaver)
- Executioner This helps so much on a enemy that is low.With Havoc combined,you will be able to do 7% more damage when your enemy is below 50% health.Ouch.
- Hardiness I chose this over Resistance because as a jungler generally needs more armor to survive longer in the jungle.5 more isn't alot,but it helps a bit too.
- Veteran's Scars There's nothing else to add in the defense mastery,so this will do the job.30 more health isn't much,but there seems to be no other choice.(Unless you want more Resistance )
The weapon of choice. [Items]
Above this you can see the items I recommend and other viable items.
Why do I get this?
- Madred's Razors which upgrades to Wriggle's Lantern because you already have Safeguard / Iron Will for sustainability.With that said,you could still go for the Wriggle's Lantern unique active for convenient wards.
- Sorcerer's Shoes.It really depends on the enemy team,whether its magic resist and tenacity you need or armour.It also really depends on you,whether you wan to go with more attack speed or more cooldown.But in this guide,we are focusing on becoming a semi-tank,thus preferably Mercury's Treads or Ninja Tabi .You could also go Boots of Mobility for faster jungling,too.
Spirit of the Elder Lizard is preferred as the build above has Warmog's Armor and Frozen Mallet that has enough durability for Lee Sin already. Spirit of the Elder Lizard gives Lee Sin everything he needs,more attack damage,more cooldown and a permanent red buff which burns over true damage.What more can you ask?As for the Spirit of the Ancient Golem,it is also very good on Lee Sin.It makes him much more tanky with more health and armor.Both is awesome on Lee Sin,so it's up to you whether you want to become more tanky or to deal more damage.
The Maw of Malmortius is an item that gives Lee Sin much much more survivability.Its passive grants him a magic sheild when he is low,giving him the chance to survive against AP burst damage output from champions like Veigar or LeBlanc etc.It also gives a decent amount of AD damage so overall it's a nice item to be bought for Lee Sin.
- B. F. Sword quick and upgrade it to the The Bloodthirster and you are on your way to dealing so much damage to the enemy team that they won't see it coming .Your Dragon's Rage will probably do over 800+ damage late game.The life steal also works well with Lee Sin's Safeguard / Iron Will.
This makes the semi-tank Lee Sin semi tank.The insane health you get will allow you to take pokes like it's nothing.With your lifesteal from Safeguard / Iron Will and Bloodthrister,your health will be up no time.The Warmog's Armor is a impression item overall in S3.
- Frozen Mallet if you were to choose it.This item does so much damage even though it has been nerfed in S3.If you are doing well in your jungle,get this item early because buying the The Brutalizer won't burn a hole in your wallet.With the The Black Cleaver,it enhances your 1v1 ability alot.200 health isn't much,but the main reason for getting black cleaver is for its unique passive.
The good and the bad. [Pros/Cons]
- Deals alot of damage early game.
- Uses energy instead of mana,so mana problems would not effect you.
- His Safeguard / Iron Will gives him more sustain in the jungle.You can plant a ward to a further distance and use Safeguard / Iron Will to get away from nasty situations.(You probably know this)
- Very flexible and can fly around like a monkey.
- One of the best junglers all time.
- Will have energy problems when you spam all your skills.
- Sonic Wave / Resonating Strike is a skillshot.
- CC like silence can mess up his combo.
DAT SMITE [Summoner Spells]
Definitely need smite for jungling.So,do you take flash,ignite or exhaust?
- Flash.Of course!The best of three,I might add.Flash allows you to start an engage,escape off when all your other skills are on cooldown,usingit to close a gap between you and your soon-to-be dead enemy or just flashing over and using Dragon's Rage to kick a Teemo to your team.This skill makes Lee Sin even more flexible and mobile,making him even harder to catch.If you overextend,Flash is here to save the day!It is also better to use Flash to get closer to the enemy than using Exhaust to slow down your enemy.
- IgniteThough not so useful in the jungle,ignite can be used to destroy that Jayce when he tries to run away with 13 health.Even so Exhaust would be a better choice,as you might get kills accidentally which was originally for your laner.As a jungler,your job is to gank the enemy team so that your laners get fed.I'm not saying that a jungler's job is to give every single kill your teammate and get nothing,what I'm trying to say is that the ADC and AP mid would be much better late game,increasing your chance of winning.
- ExhaustNot a bad choice,but still viable.This will be very useful for ganks as removing 30% of movement speed is alot.With 30% movement speed removed on the enemy,your gank has a much higher chance of resulting the enenmy to die,giving you or the laner a kill.(Not to mention removing 50% attack speed,attack damage and ability power damage by 30%)
C-C-C-C-Combo! [Skill Sequence]
- TO GET KILLS:Firstly you need your Sonic Wave / Resonating Strike to close up the gap between you and that annoying Teemo.With a successful hit upon using Sonic Wave / Resonating Strike,you will fly to your enemy.After that,use Tempest / Cripple to slow down the enemy.If it's Twitch or Evelyn,you might want to wait awhile for your cripple to expose them.Lastly use Dragon's Rage to kick the enemy into a unfavorable place,such as your tower or your team etc.Use your Safeguard / Iron Will to close up the gap if you miss your Sonic Wave / Resonating Strike.
- THE Q>R>Q COMBO:You probably already know this,but I'll just explain it.Its a one-shot combo to deal massive damage.Basically you use your sonic wave on the enemy first,then use Dragon's Rage and while already in mid air,use your resonating strike to complete it.Use your Tempest / Cripple after or before the combo.
- RUNNING AWAY: Sonic Wave / Resonating Strike>unto jungle creeps when trying to run away. Safeguard / Iron Will unto a ward to take advantage of the distance and run away.
I did not include Safeguard / Iron Will in the combos because it is up to you when to use it.
Update logs and other stuff. [Credits]
This was solely written by me,GeeMan.I want to thank everyone that have seen or followed this guide,it means alot to me.This guide is currently unfinished and a work in progress,I will add jungle routes and finish up on the items soon.
- Guide created.(19 June 2013)
- Fixed font on introduction,fixed quintessence code,added The Black Cleaver to core items.(20 June 2013)