Lucian Build Guide by DarkJavelin
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
We recommend you take a look at this author's other builds.
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Possible Early Game [Extra Damage]
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
|Welcome fellow summoners, this is DarkJavelin, welcome to another champion spotlight featuring Lucian The Purifier. Now I wasn't really going to be trying to pick up on this champ but a friend of mine wanted to show his appreciation for helping me get him to Level 30. So he bought me a few champs and threw in Lucian as a bonus. So he also asked that since I'm starting to do builds for champs he asked me to make one for Lucian. Thing about Lucian is, he has so much potential that one build won't just do. Now what I'm about to do here is explain Lucian in a more detailed way. So before going any farther please note that this build will be longer than my Evelynn build.
Credits to jhoijhoi for the template, which you can find here.
Pros / Cons
+ Heavy hitter early game
+ Great range when laning
+ When laning phase is over, Relentless Pursuit makes a good surprise gank for top or mid lane
+ Great pokes
+ Excellent chaser
+ Able to gain movement speed due to Ardent Blaze target marking
+ Good CC ability with secondary effect
+ Double shot applies double health restoration on lifesteal
I'm going to be completely honest, I thought for sure that Lucian was going to be broken and everyone was going to argue over him A LOT. I was only HALF right. He isn't actually as broken as I thought he would be. He is well balanced and his moves require good aim and well timed shots, which doesn't take too long to get used to. Lucian is like Miss Fortune, he can hit hard early game but at the cost of big mana usage. To be fair that is well balanced. His range with his abilities is great and able to shoot through minions, hence his Piercing Light ability. When laning phase is over and you wish to get the jump on an enemy still in their lane, coming from the bush and activating Relentless Pursuit is a great way to close the gap between you two while charging in so they don't get away unscathed. This also makes for an excellent chaser in which you can dash in and perform The Culling to put the finishing blow on an enemy with low health. Also, due to Ardent Blaze, he is able to gain even more movement speed after landing a basic attack on a marked enemy. This also makes for a good chase.
- Burns through mana quickly
- Low movement speed when compared to others
- Piercing Light absolutely requires a target to be in the range circle.
- Heavily relies on support
- Ult can be blocked by other champs AND minions
- Ult only shoots in a specific direction and cannot be changed
Although he hits pretty hard, using Lucian's utilities in the right way is challenging. He can hit hard early game, but just like Miss Fortune, he burns through mana rather quickly. He also has rather low movement speed when compared to others liked Ashe, Quinn, etc. Although Piercing Light has great range it requires a target to be in the circle range, otherwise it will not fire. He also heavily relies on his support. Unlike other ADCs, Lucian burns through mana a lot. In order to save on mana he would have to have a support that can either initiate or replenish his mana. Someone like Leona or Soraka would be a good support for him. Even someone with snare like Lux or Morgana. He is also squishy so playing carefully is required when farming. His ult, The Culling, can be blocked by minions, which means if the enemy is running and minions get in front of the champ they will take the damage instead of your target. It also only fires in one general direction so be careful where you are facing when you activate it.
|Since Lucian is such a heavy hitter, it's better to improvise on that and continue to build into his damage along with some critical. Since he also burns through mana so quickly, it's best to build into some utility at the sacrifice of more health. So we focus on giving him mana with Expanded Mind and also Meditation . This will give him mana per level and also increase his mana regen though you still have to be careful of how much mana you use.|
- Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage: This explains itself, how can you be an adc and not have attack damage? Lucian can hit pretty hard with some attack damage so the more you build the better.
- Greater Quintessence of Life Steal: It never hurts to have some lifesteal and since this will help Lucian with his double shot and replenish his health he should be able to stay in lane longer when killing minions.
- Greater Mark of Armor Penetration: Every ADCs goal is usually to penetrate the armor of their enemies. ESPECIALLY the other teams' tank. This not only helps the ADC pick off the weaker foes but also wear away at the tank's armor. Especially if you go for critical attacks. Hence the reason for Infinity Edge.
- Greater Mark of Attack Damage: The more attack damage you build the better. Though I'm sure ignoring the armor is great you need to be able to capitalize on it. Even if just a little bit.
- Greater Glyph of Magic Resist: When going against AP champs which is, of course, going to be someone like the support in laning phase, and also other AP champs in teamfights, you must be able to stay in the fight as long as possible. You are the heavy hitter after all, and it's the team's job to go ahead in first and you hit while behind them.
- Greater Glyph of Mana Regeneration: Since Lucian is such a mana eater, this is very important to have so that you don't lose it all so quickly. Though most ADCs burn through their mana, Lucian seems to absolutely destroy his mana so early. This will help fix such a problem. While farming, let your mana regen runes do their work.
- Greater Seal of Armor: It goes without saying that armor is usually the first thing people run for in runes. So of course this is going to be here. Since there are so many champs that are AD when playing in game why not? It's standard to keep armor on you at all times right?
Barrier: Barrier is your last stand or either your emergency escape method whenever Flash is down. If you are trying to get one over on your enemy, Barrier will usually help with that. Being that said, it is often used when surprised by an enemy sneaking up on you or when an enemy is low on health and so are you, but you refuse to run so you try to get the kill. It is useful as a last stand to secure your kill or to protect you when running and you have your enemy using an ability to attack from a distance. Case in point, Caitlyn's Ace in the Hole, Kog'Maw's Living Artillery, etc.
Flash: Along with Lucian's Relentless Pursuit, Flash is very useful as an escape or chance to go in. Being that he is not only good at chasing but kiting, this skill helps out greatly in both categories and being that he is squishy I recommend he ALWAYS has this summoner spell on him. Unless you're pro and can get out of situations with just the ability of course lol. Be sure not to take too much damage before using it, a lot of summoners wait until you use your flash so that they can use theirs to follow and finish.
Ignite: This is for summoners that would rather make sure they get their kill rather than be paranoid about being killed. Since Lucian is a heavy hitter I expect a lot of summoners to use him if they specialize in ADC and once they have mastered him this spell will be used more often than the Barrier. It works well but the reason I don't use it myself, is due to the fact that most attack from a distance and feel better about doing so it sometimes isn't needed. It's all about making sure you time your attacks in combos the right way. Even if they run away they are missing farm and farm is critical for an ADC.
Ghost: Although I'm not usually a big fan of this spell on an adc, it tends to work well with Lucian after Relentless Pursuit is used to escape. I have seen many use it and I've tested it out myself. It seems to work pretty well but I still prefer Flash as my main get away tool, seeing as it doesn't have a slow start up like Ghost does to help you get away.
- Lightslinger: Lightslinger is Lucian's passive, after using an ability his next shot is a double shot. If life steal has been added on to Lucian each shot will replenish his health meaning double the life steal for the next shot.
- Piercing Light (Q): This ability travels through all enemies in the path of the piercing light shot. Every target takes the same amount of damage from the ability but at least ONE target has to be in the circle range to fire the ability and it only goes a short range outside of said circle.
- Ardent Blaze (W): Lucian fires a missle of light that explodes upon impact or reaching the end of its destination and expands in a star shape. It deals damage, and marks the target with light that if Lucian shoots that target he gains movement speed for a couple of seconds.
- Relentless Pursuit (E): This ability is like Evelynn's Dark Frenzy and Riven's Valor fused together. Lucian can dash forward with this move and also remove all slow effects as a result. Though unlike Riven's Valor he does not gain a shield, and unlike Evelynn's Dark Frenzy it does not increase his movement speed. This move's cooldown is refreshed if a kill is done while using The Culling.
- The Culling (R): Lucian's Ultimate that causes him to shoot in a target direction for 3 seconds. This ability only shoots in one direction that is chosen when activated so time the activation right or else it's a waste. While using The Culling you can move around freely and you can also cancel it by activating it again.
Ability Sequence Order
|When playing Lucian, try to build up Piercing Light first. Taking one in each ability is fine, but after doing so max out Piercing Light first. As for The Culling it is smart to always put a point in it whenever possible. Ardent Blaze is the second thing to max out and finally Relentless Pursuit since the distance isn't really increased no matter how many points you put into it.|
Items: Mana Conservation
|Like every other ADC Lucian needs to be able to move quickly but also attack quickly. Berserker's Greaves can help with that.|
|Since Lucian can be pretty slow starting off and going on into the game, it is best to give him more speed so that he may be able to chase and/or kite better on enemies.|
|The answer to all those questions about "Why does Lucian eat up so much mana?! I need to bring Clarity with me!", well with this item you won't have to. Getting Manamune early game will help solve the mana problem and give you more mana and mana regen to work with. Though do not become reckless, still save your abilities for pokes and chases on enemies.|
|Mostly used for its lifesteal and also for it's active to deal with tanks. BOTRK is usually the standard thing to build when playing a game and a tank is present. Lucian is no different, he will need this item if a tank or off-tank is present on the enemy team.|
|This item is usually not built until it has been shown that Thornmail is present on the other team. Though there are a lot that still build it anyway seeing as how it's good for Armor Penetration.|
|From what I can tell, Lucian shoots pretty slow if not having some extra attack speed. So as to speed that up, Phantom Dancer is a must have with him. Not only does it increase your attack speed but you can move through minions so as to keep chasing your enemy down.|
|The higher the damage, the more kills for you to make yourself stronger and take our more enemies quickly. With Infinity Edge's high damage and critical strike chance increase, this is best for any ADC. Combined with Lifesteal it can be a big help.|
Items: Tank Buster
Lucian: Thorough Explanation
From what I can tell, Riot was trying to make a champ like Miss Fortune but with more mobility. They seemed to have succeeded but the problem is he didn't hit me like Miss Fortune did who is my BEST ADC in the game so far. The similarities are there, duo guns, burns through mana, ult releases rapid fire shots, has an AoE. Only difference is that Miss Fortune passively has an increase in movement speed when out of battle while Lucian requires Ardent Blaze and a shot to gain his movement speed.
The similarity between Vayne and Lucian is that the two are both hunters for evil, Vayne has a dodge move and so does Lucian even if it goes a short distance.
Similarities with Lux is the ability of his Ardent Blaze just like Lux has every ability she uses on an opponent to attack. Only difference is that when Lucian hits an opponent afterwords, he gains movement speed instead of extra damage and effect does not disable after the next hit. It stays for a set amount of time then disappears.
I'm not sure if anyone else saw the similarities like I did but that was the first thing I noticed when I saw how he worked and read his lore along with how his abilities will work. Lucian is probably a better ADC than he looks but as said, he did not interest me all that well like everyone else. I tend to hate when people **** ride a new character when they first come out. I'd rather see how good he plays before buying him so I would wait until free to play then test him out. My friend just decided to throw me Lucian as a bonus thanks for getting him to Level 30. I have tested these builds and they tend to work as long as you play safe. In a way, Lucian plays like an assassin. Going for the squishy characters is the best part of him and they can't get too far from him due to his chasing abilities. Even though he can hurt, do not get reckless. Common sense should still tell you not to chase too far or else you will find yourself being baited.
|If you are not being focused in teamfights it's always best to bust out The Culling once all your teammates are in and dealing damage. If you can manage to deal damage to help kill the majority of the enemy team you have done very well. Be careful not to get too close to the action. Remember, you are an ADC and can be just as squishy as an AP champ. Lucian's best bet is to stay a safe distance from the fight and fire as much as he can. Do not get caught in the mix or you will HIGHLY regret it.
If you are being focused, use The Culling while retreating and let your team deal the damage to those in pursuit. If you find the enemy getting closer, due to abilities or Flash remember that you have your own abilities to get away from them. Use it to your advantage and you'll find that your team will come out on top. With the abilities that Lucian has, it should be easy to get in and get out when you need to though of course hard CC is the major problem.
|As I said, I'm not 100% into Lucian like that. I've probably missed some detail but since my friend wanted me to help him build Lucian by making a guide I did it cause I care. I just thought I would share it with you all. If you like it, you are welcome to give it an up vote. I've done what I can to the best of my knowledge. Probably the next champ I decide to do a thorough build and explanation on will be Nami as requested by NekuShikazu. Happy huntings summoners and be sure to put as many bullets as possible through Thresh read Lucian's lore and you'll find out why I said that.
Credits to jhoijhoi for the template, which you can find here.