Lucian General Guide by LCS Builds
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Infinity Edge Rush
Late Game Items [Offensive]
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Why Lucian? Lucian has always been a really strong pick since his arrival. Even in the 4.11 patch, with the The Bloodthirster nerf, because he's also really strong with alternative builds, where you rush Infinity Edge or Blade of the Ruined King. He's also one of the most played ADCs in the LCS. Because he's just a really strong pick, and excels at every stage of the game. From early to lategame.
A little about me: I have been playing League Of Legends for 3 years, and have been playing ADC since i reached level 30. My favorite champions are Vayne and Lucian, and i have been maining Lucian since his arrival to the game.
This is my first guide and i have been working hard on this guide so please, leave a comment and a like to show your support. ENJOY!
Hi everybody. As of the 4.12 patch Lucian got his attack range reduced! This means he'll have an harder time in lane farming and harassing. You should also consider a bit more if you want to fight or flee, since you have to get closer. But his base attack damage, base movement speed and health got increased, so he should be alright. Just keep and eye on that as you read the guide. ENJOY!
Pros / Cons
|+ Good at trading in lane, with his range
+ Has a dash that remove slows!
+ He's a lane bully
+ Brush reveal with Ardent Blaze
+ Has good burst with Lightslinger
+ Can fire backwards with The Culling
|Lucian is one of the strongest ADCs in the game right now, if played correctly. He has a lot of damage pre level 6, making him a huge lane bully. His dash removes slows, which making him good at escaping unwanted fights. The Culling has really good damage, if the enemy is hit by it the full duration!|
|- Hard champion to learn and master!
- No cc, making him team reliant!
- Hard to land ult perfect!
- Needs a support with good cc in lane
- It can be hard killing a champion with cc
- His abilities costs quite a lot of mana!
|Lucian is hard to learn to perfection. The Culling can be hard to land because you need good positioning, and minions can block bullets. He doesn't have any cc, so he is reliant on a support or team with cc. Lucians abilities costs quite a bit of mana, and he runs easily out of mana in all stages of the game.|
- Greater Mark of Attack Damage: For extra attack damage, so you'll deal more damage. The reason i get flat runes instead of scaling, is because flat will give you more early game power. Lucian is a lane bully, so you're going to make him an even bigger lane bully, with the flat attack damage runes.
- Greater Seal of Armor: You're squishy as an ADC, so you need armor to be more durable. If you get into a small fight in the bot lane early game, you need all advantages you can. So you'll be dealing a lot of damage, and you won't take as much damage.
- Greater Glyph of Magic Resist: The same as above. The reason you get magic resist is because the most ADCs has magic damage scaling abilities. The most supports also deals magic damage. So more survivability!
- Greater Quintessence of Life Steal: These runes synergize well with Doran's Blade, and the Extra Lifesteal is good through the whole game! Also if you get harassed, get into a fight or take damage in any other way, they're good to get you healthy agian!
- Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage: For some extra early damage and making you an even bigger lane bully. You get one of these for the extra attack damage, and because 2 Greater Quintessence of Life Steal is enough, with a Doran's Blade, to keep you healthy in lane!
- Greater Quintessence of Attack Speed: Greater Quintessence of Attack Speed can be switched around with Greater Quintessence of Life Steal. This allows to get more attacks out but you don't get the extra life steal. It is worth considering since Greater Quintessence of Life Steal got nerfed, and Doran's Blade now also gives life steal.
Masteries21 OFFENSE/9 Defense
Heal is one of the best spells for ADCs right now. It's good at baiting, turning a fight around etc. Heal is also good because it heals you AND a friendly allie, which means you can heal both you and your support. It's also nice with the little speed boost it gives. Invisible text!Invisible text!Invisible text!Invisible text!Invisible text!Invisible text!Invisible text!Invisible text!Invisible text!Invisible text!
Flash is (in my opinion) the best summoner spell in the whole game. I don't believe there's any reason, why you shouldn't take Flash. OK You have Relentless Pursuit, there's just the difference that flash doesn't have a cast time. Which mean you wont be stopped by cc, because it's instantly. While Relentless Pursuit has a casttime, makes it easier to stop. And with Flash you'll have 2 escapes!
Cleanse is a must if you're playing against an Ashe or Leona. It is also worth considering if you're going against an Thresh or Braum. I get Heal most of the games, but Cleanse is a must against a team with a lot of cc. Trust me, Cleanse is worth the pick!Invisible text!Invisible text!Invisible text!Invisible text!Invisible text!Invisible text!Invisible text!Invisible text!Invisible text!Invisible text!
- Lightslinger: After an ability, your next attack shoots two times instead of one. These two attacks only deal 50% of Lucian's AD, but they both fully applies on-hit effects so both bullets can crit! This passive can deal a lot of quick damage to your enemy, paired with a Piercing Light!
- Piercing Light: After a small delay, Lucian fires a laser in the direction of his target, dealing physical damage to all enemies in a line. Minions take full damage as of the 4.12 patch. The ability deals physical damage. This is Lucians best harassing ability!
- Ardent Blaze: Lucian fires a shot that explodes in a cross pattern upon hitting and enemy or reaching the end. If Lucian attacks an marked target, he gains a small speed boost. The ability deals magic damage.
- Relentless Pursuit: Lucian dashes a small distance and removes all slowing effects. Relentless Pursuits cooldown is reduced by 1 per Lightslinger hit (maxixum 2 seconds reduced). This effect is doubled against enemy champions.
- The Culling: Lucian fires shots in target direction for a period of time. The number of shots, scales with his attack speed. The Culling deals 400% damage to minions, but not monsters!
|You're going to max Piercing Light first, since its your main damage ability. You max Ardent Blaze for the extra damage and you're able to proc your passive even more, without putting yourself out of position. You should max Relentless Pursuit last because you don't need the cooldown and manacost reduction. You max The Culling At 6, 11 and 16. Sometimes i get Relentless Pursuit at level 2, if i have a Braum or Leona as support. Just so i'm able to follow up the target, and kill it.|
Infinity Edge Rush
|Berserker's Greaves is the best choice to most ADCs. It gives attack speed which let you attack more, and it synergies great with The Culling. Not a lot to say here!|
|Rushing Infinity Edge lets you deal a lot of damage, but doesn't give any attack speed. Building Infinity Edge is a late game build, in comparison to the botrk and youmuu's build. This build let's you deal buttloads of damage in the lategame!|
|The big question is: Should i buy Statikk Shiv or Phantom Dancer? Let us start of with statikk shiv. It's cheaper and its good when splitpushing, because of the passive. But it doesn't give as much attack speed and critical strike chance as Phantom Dancer. So tl;dr Buy Statikk Shiv if you're going to splitpush and going for an early powerspike. Get Phantom Dancer if you're going for late game damage.|
|Last Whisper is one of my favorite items because, it makes your damage crush through the enemy armor and it's a must in EVERY GAME! Sorry, i just can't stress enough, how important this item is!|
|Many people believe that The Bloodthirster is a bad items, after its "nerf". In fact it is not, it's just not that great a starting item. So it's a really good fourth or fifth item.|
|You also need some defense, so you don't get crushed instantly. Banshee's Veil is an amazing defensive item, since it gives you a lot of health, and the spell shield is good at protecting you from a Dark Binding or a Death Sentence.|
|Click HERE to jump in the text, and see the description of Berserker's Greaves.|
|Building Blade of the Ruined King lets you deal a lot of mid game damage, but not as much late game damage as the IE rush. You'll still be dealing a lot of damage lategame but not as much! Rushing botrk will give you some attack speed, lifesteal and a little of attack damage. The passive lets you burn through tanks late game.|
|Youmuu's Ghostblade lets you burn through tanks even more + the active is a attack and movement speed steroid, which will let you win most 1v1s.|
|Click HERE To jump in the text and see the description of Last Whisper.|
|Getting [infinity edge] is an amazing item last offensive item. It gives a lot of damage, crit chance and crits deals 250% of damage instead of 200%. It will make do much more damage.|
|Click HERE to jump in the text, and read the description of Banshee's Veil.|
Signature abilities: Concussive Blows and Unbreakable
Explanation: Braum is the best support Lucian can get. Braum is good at protecting other people, with Stand Behind Me and Unbreakable and offers a good amount of cc. The biggest reason why Braum and Lucian is so good together, is because Lightslinger puts 2 stacks of Concussive Blows, making it really easy for Lucian to stun the enemy. Concussive Blows also deals a little damage when the 4 stacks is reached, and the enemy is stunned, which makes Lucians burst even bigger. You should only go for the fight, when you know you have enough damage to finish them. You can get into a lot of trouble with your low attack range.
Signature abilities: Sunlight and Solar Flare
Explanation: Leona also has an amazing synergy with Lucian. The debuff from Sunlight which causes the next basic attack against the enemy to deal extra damage, just makes Lucians burst really big. Plus all the cc she offers is crazy, and she's able to jump first in the fight an soak up damage without dying, using Eclipse. The only reason why Leona only get 9/10, is because she has to jump into the fight, while Braum fires all his cc from the back. Leona doesn't have any champion protection either.
Signature abilities: Death Sentence and Dark Passage
Explanation: Even though Thresh stole Lucians wife, Thresh is still one of the best support Lucian can get. The cc that Thresh provides is amazing, and the ability to save you with Dark Passage and give you a little shield. He doesn't give you any damage buff, but the amount of time he can cc someone, makes up for it. He chooses himself if he wanna go all in with the Death Sentence, or just hook them, staying in safety. The reason he only gets 9/10 is because he has quite high cooldowns, and he isn't always that tanky as Leona and Braum.
More supports is going to be added soon.
Early, Mid and Late game
In the early game you want to farm, and hit the enemy ADC with a basic attack, when in range. If i have a Braum or Leona, i ask for them to engage, because you have insane damage at that stage of the game. If Braum or Leona lands a stun, it is almost a secured kill. But don't forget to farm, it is more important that you might think.
tl;dr Get a kill, at level 2, if you have Braum or Leona, else just farm.
When you have completed your Infinity Edge or Blade of the Ruined King, that is when you're going to look for fights. Lucian deals insane amounts of damage with those items. If you fell behind in lane and are not strong enough to get a kill, then keep on farming until you get some more items. But remember, you can for the most get out of a fight with Relentless Pursuit.
Late game you should be able to kill all of your enemies. The key for you in the late game team fights is positioning. You need to stay behind your teams tanks and deal damage. If you get to close to the enemies, then you just use Relentless Pursuit backwards. If you're good skilled player, you should be able to stomp on your enemies. It is also worth it to use The Culling on the enemy mid or ADC. So they recall to get healthy, and your team can fight 5 vs 4.
A good tip is: Don't underestimate your damage, because you deal a lot of damage. But don't overestimate it either! You might have a lot damage, but maybe not enough to go 1v1 against the enemy tank.
Thx For Reading!
Hi everybody and thanks for reading my Lucian guide. Please leave i like or comment, so i can improve my guide. If you have any ideas for improvements, please leave a comment with the idea. At last, thanks for reading and i hope you enjoyed!
A special thanks to jhoijhoi for this amazing guide on how to make a guide!
Here's the guide: http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/making-a-guide-101506
15/07/14: Guide published!!
15/07/14: Added Cleanse and Greater Quintessence of Attack Speed. (Thanks emoriam!)
15/07/14: Made it less distracting in the runes section. (Thanks Wicked Eye!)
16/07/14: Updated for 4.12.