Lucian Build Guide by TheGrimReaper
Not Updated For Current Season
Final Build -- This Is What It Your Build Should L
If Your DOMINATING Your Lane I'd Suggest This Item
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
I'm sorry again for the inconvenience and I'll do my best to fix it!
FIRST THINGS FIRST...
I HIGHLY recommend that you watch the "Lucian Champion Spotlight," and as to why, well I'll tell you. Contrary to belief, Riot does know a thing or two about the champions they make. Meaning that Phreak provides us (the viewers) a brief overlook on Lucian which will give us a preview of Lucian before we actually play him. So basically watch it if you haven't already or even if you have, watch it again, because its great for knowing what to expect when you play him. Also there are tips and tricks to playing Lucian that Phreak does mention which is pretty helpful if you ask me.
Unfortunately about oh I'd say... 99% of you didn't watch the spotlight. But I take my hat off to the 1% of people who did.
As a friendly reminder, for those who have questions and or concerns, please address them in the comments and rather than hit the dislike bar, just explain your reasoning and hopefully I can address your issue(s). If I do in fact feel what you brought up is important enough to change my guide, I will do so and be sure to thank you.
Why Lucian Is Good & Not So Good
Some Pros & Some Cons
+ He's veryyy mobile
+ Dominates in 1v1s
+ Ulti shreds high health targets (if used correctly)
+ Phenomenal poke
+ E is a great tool for escaping sticky situations (if used correctly)
+ D I V E R S I T Y ! (For those who don't know, he's the 1st African American Champ)
- Squishy as hellll
- Just an all around hard champion to master
- Low mana pool early game (so make sure that your pokes hit as much as possible!)
- Item dependent (farm early game is VERY important)
- His range isn't too great
- His skin isn't that great in my opinion.
The 2nd Tier of Runes - Masteries!
Yes I know that you might be wondering as to why I don't have every specific mastery. Well let me explain... I feel that needing to explain EVERY mastery is a waste of time, and plus, Lucian's core masteries are the same as most ADCs. If you truly would like to know why I choose a specific mastery, please ask. As you can tell below I felt the need only to discuss the Defense Mastery Tree.
Ok so your going to be bot against another ADC, right? So, you need Armor, thus making this choice full proof. If you don't get it than your just making yourself more vulnerable which in turn will cause you to be X_X (dead).
Like the mastery above, you need this to protect from Magical damage that the ADC or the Support will dish out. This helps you take less of their damage, which in turn makes this a smart choice to pick
Once again.. Survivability is key to an ADC. This gives you that extra health to, yes you know, S U R V I V E !
By now you should know what I'm going to say. If not, refer above to my previous mastery explanation.
The Offensive Tree should honestly never change, unless if you want to use Ignite instead. In that case make sure to flip flop Summoner's Resolve and Summoner's Wrath.
What Makes You Uber Powerful - Runes!
- Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage: Some may wonder as to why these should be your typical choice of runes. Well, more attack damage = *drumroll please* MORE DAMAGE DONE TO OPPONENTS!
- greater mark of armor penetration: Over 1.00 Armor Pen. per Mark? Of course this is the best choice because A.Pen is what makes you able to DO DA DAMAGE!
- Greater Glyph of Magic Resist: So your Lucian... And Lucian is kinda squishy like the rest of ADCs. Well with this Magic Resist that turns you into a less squishy Lucian. Make sense? I hope so.. :/
- Greater Seal of Armor: Same deal as the rune above except this time you get Armor rather than Magic Resist.
Those Things You Hate And Love - Summoner Spells!
The Things That Make Em' Lucian - Abilities / Sequence Order
- Lightslinger: This is Lucian's Passive Ability. What it does is after using one of Lucian's abilities, his next auto attack within 6 seconds will strike twice. The second shot deals 50-75% of Lucian's AD based on level, but fully applies on-hit effects. Minions and monsters take full damage from the second shot. The second shot can critically strike.
- Piercing Light: This is Lucian's 1st ability or his "Q." What it does is After a 0.35 second delay, Lucian fires a laser in the direction of the target enemy, dealing physical damage to all enemies in a 1100-unit line. Minions take 75% damage.
Below is it's Range, CD per level, and its Mana cost per level.
Range: 550Cooldown: 9 / 8 / 7 / 6 / 5[/centerCost: 60 / 65 / 70 / 75 / 80 mana
- Ardent Blaze: This is Lucian's 2nd ability or his "W." What it does is Lucian fires a shot that explodes in a cross pattern and upon hitting an enemy or reaching the end of its path, it deals magic damage and marks enemies hit for 6 seconds. If Lucian damages a marked target with his basic attacks or abilities, he gains 40 movement speed for 2 seconds. This does not consume the mark.
Below is it's Range, CD per level, and its Mana cost.
Range: 1000Cooldown: 14 / 13 / 12 / 11 / 10Cost: 60 mana (every level)
- Relentless Pursuit: This is Lucian's 3rd ability or his "E." What it does is Lucian dashes a short distance and removes all slowing effects. Relentless Pursuit's cooldown resets if Lucian scores a kill or assist during The Culling.
Below is it's Range, CD per level, and its Mana cost per level.
Range: 425Cooldown: 18 / 16 / 14 / 12 / 10Cost: 60 / 45 / 30 / 15 / 0 mana
- The Culling: What it does is Lucian starts firing shots in the target direction for 3 seconds, each shot dealing physical damage to the first enemy it hits. The amount of shots fired scales with his attack speed. The Culling is considered a channeled ability and it can be interrupted, but Lucian can move freely (including movement abilities) without interrupting it himself. Reactivate The Culling to cancel the ability early. The Culling deals quadruple damage to minions but not monsters.
Below is it's Range, CD per level, and Mana cost.
Range: 1400Cooldown: 100 / 75 / 50Cost: 100 mana
Ability Sequence Order
What Makes You Do All Dat Damage - Items
PLEASE PLEASE READ: These items are my SUGGESTED items, you DO NOT have to build them. Though these are in my opinion the Go-To choices, that doesn't mean you MUST build them in my recommended sequence, or build them at all. And if you wonder as to why I'm building these items, that's what this section is for; so I can go in depth as to why. Also I have an "Alternative" section, with all my other suggested item alternatives.
|Like most ADCs, Lucian needs damage and armor pen. in order to be effective. This gives both! So if you have this item on top of the two above, your going to be hitting really f'ing hard, making this another CORE ITEM.|
Combos & Tips!
Combos & Tips!
||ALTHOUGH both of those things would be nice to have, that's not what I'm talking about when I say "combos and tips."(unfortunately...) What I actually mean is what you see below...|
Though there are many possible combos, the ones you see are the ones I've come across as the most effective.
IMPORTANT NOTE: When I said "IF NEEDED," what I mean is when you activate your Ultimate, you shoot in the same path as whenever you activated your ultimate and CANNOT be changed. Though what you can do is use your Relentless Pursuit to correct you path by adjusting to where the opponents move, or it can be used if the opposing player uses Flash per say, so you can catch up to them.
This combo is one if you want to quickly melt down high health targets because you use your ultimate 2nd which quickly diminishes their health, and with the Movement Speed you get with Ardent Blaze, this allows you to always be close to them. If they somehow are still alive, then use your Relentless Pursuit to catch up to them followed by Piercing Light to finish the job.
Obviously these combos aren't the only ones possible, but they are ones that I'm sharing to you because of my success with them. If you have any other viable combos that are worth bringing to my attention, please do in the comments and it may show up on my guide, and I'll be sure to mention you told me about it if I find it to be a good combo to showcase.
Perhaps the biggest tip I can give when playing as Lucian: DO NOT THINK YOUR BLACK JESUS BECAUSE YOUR ULTIMATE DOES A LOT OF DAMAGE! I see way too many cocky Lucians' who dive in with their Ultimate. Here's a news flash for ya: Your SQUISHY and your Ultimate can be STOPPED! Yes that's right, stopped. Anybody with a stun, suppress, knock-up, silence, etc. can stop it. So you'd look pretty dumb if you go guns blazing and then have your ultimate .01 seconds in, since you forgot about how your ultimate can be stopped. With that being said I move on to my next Tip.
My next tip that is closely related to the 1st, which is that when playing as Lucian is smart to sorta hang back and let your Tanky people on your team to lead the charge before you come in. This allows you to pick out the higher value targets and clean house when your needed too, without the risk of dying if you were to lead the charge.
My other tip is to remember to utilize his E to the best of your ability. Though it may be hard to master, you can use it to get over walls in the game. Though the range is fairly limited and you can't dash through EVERY wall, you can for some. And that means it could save your life, so be sure to practice dashing through walls with his E and you'll slowly know what places your able to dash across without the humility of failing your dash. Not to sound harsh but I know I'd chuckle if I saw a Lucian fail his dash :)
Another small, but helpful tip, is to remember Lucian's Q can hit targets in the path, not necessarily just the target. An example might suffice here: So lets say your out of range from another ADC but there's a minion who is in range and the ADC is just behind the minion. Well use your Q on the minion and if the ADC is still behind, or in the line of fire, he'll be hit too. Hopefully that makes sense.
My last tip I can give is remember that your passive works after ANY ability usage. So using an ability, then auto-attacking, followed by another ability will definitely do more damage because of your passive allowing you to double shot twice your opponent. But the set back is that it takes a bit longer to pull off. All in all I'd say just try to utilize your passive as much as you can so more damage can be done, but hey, sometimes you can't so its not a big deal.
ALTERNATIVES (ITEMS, RUNES, SUMMONER SPELLS)
Ah. Probably where most people's questions will be answered. I'm sure there will be some who think, "Why didn't you build this instead?" or "Dude, those ___ choices aren't good." Well here's where I discuss other choices! Yeeeaaaahhh!!!
Alternatives: Summoner Spells
|This S.Spell is one that can be used as a getaway or to catch up to targets. Though I personally wouldn't use it, I can see why some may because this adds to Lucian's already high mobility.|
MY OWN MATCH HISTORY!
THESE ARE RECENT GAMES I'VE PLAYED JUST SO YOU CAN GET A TASTE OF HOW MY GUIDE WORKS. THERE WILL BE MORE POSTED AND MUCH MORE THAT INVOLVES MY OWN GAMEPLAY!
Bla-leep Bla-leep; That's All Folks! (For Now...)
GOOD SUPPORT PICKS PAGE IS BEING RELEASED TOMORROW (8/27) !!
Videos, Good Support Picks (still in the process of determining who's best with Lucian), and much more that will further help you understand Lucian, the Purifier.
Thanks again for reading/up-voting/giving me +rep. Be sure to leave a comment down below and perhaps even an up-vote! It would benefit me dearly to hear your feedback and I'll be sure to respond to your comments! PLEASE TELL ME YOUR SUCCESS WITH MY BUILD TOO! I'd love to hear about it.