Lulu Build Guide by Fak3cz
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
We recommend you take a look at this author's other builds.
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Before my guide starts, please DO NOT downvote my guide just because you own other Lulu guide. Also don't downvote just because you found some little grammar mistake (I'm not native speaker but I think it's still readable). Read "Items" section to fully comprehend my build above.
If I forgot anything important or overlooked something, leave me comment down bellow. Any helpful comment will be awarded with +Rep
(This guide was made before while and there's big ammount of mistakes in text, gonna fix it later)
Hi guys. After big success with my Nautilus guide (it's currently TOP guide, I'm experienced guide maker), I decided to make another guide, this time for Lulu. I love that adorable yordle capable of either supporting or carrying. This champion will not be forgotten. League of Legends lacks supports and she is a big contribution for it.
This guide focuses on:
- Support (Bottom lane)
- AP Carry (Solo mid lane)
I will explain everything about her, also show how usable can be her AP build (but I think she's better as a support). I keep working on this guide and I will regularly update it.
|SPAaaaaaaaaaaaaCE||Health: 415 (+82)
Health regen.: 6.0 (+0.6)
Mana: 200 (+50)
Mana regen.: 6.0 (+0.5)
|SPAaaaCE||Attack damage: 44.4 (+2.6)
Attack speed: 0.625 (+2.2%)
Armor: 9.4 (+3.6)
Magic res.: 30
Mov. speed: 300
(skip this and return if you dont know something)
U.C. = Under Construction (Not completed part of guide).
IMO = In my opinion.
Crowd controller = Champion who has heavy crowd control (non-slow).
Squishy = Low-health champion / Easy to kill (Mostly focused during the teamfights).
Glass-cannon = Squishy champion with high damage output.
Spawn = Your spawning pool, place when you are rebirthed if you die. Spawn include shop.
Shop = Place when you buy new items (oh really?).
Burst = High damage output over short time.
Poke/Harass = simple attack on enemy champion, during laning, to make him issues with sustain.
Bait = To attract enemy champion with your low-health, to ambush and kill him with help of your hidden teammates.
Laning Phase = Early-game phase when players (excluding Jungler) are staying in their lanes (to Farm and get XP).
Teamfight = Battle between entire teams (Only mid-late game).
Mana-starving = Champion having problems with mana, not enough mana.
Facecheck = To check brush by simply walking into it (Risk to get ambushed by enemy).
Turret aggro = when turret focus you because you attacked enemy champion.
Towerdive = to follow enemy champion to its own Turret, to kill him before Turret kills you.
Pull (Jungle term) = To hit Jungle creep with one ranged autoattack/ability, helps Jungler at start of match.
AoE = Area of effect ability (Can hit multiple targets at once).
DoT = Damage over time.
Blue = Blue buff, obtained by killing Ancient golem jungle (Helpful for AP carries standing in Solo-mid).
Red = Red buff, obtained by killing Lizard king in jungle.
CDR = Cooldown reduction.
CC = Crowd control (stun, slow, snare, fear, knock up, taunt, suppress etc.).
Root = Snare = Being immobilized.
Jungle = space between lanes, occupied by neutral creeps.
Gank/Ganking = Quick action leading to advantage (1v2, 2v3), mostly performed by Jungler.
Farming = Obtaining gold from last-hitting enemy minions.
Last-hitting = using autoattack on enemy low-health minion to obtain gold from. (Tree with last-hit priority: AD Carry -> AP Carry -> Tank -> Support).
Pushing = Quickly killing enemy minion waves to get your own minions to enemy turret.
AD carry = Champion using his autoattacks (and AD-scaling abilities) as main damage source.
AP carry = Champion using his abilities as main damage source.
Tank = Champion who is built to take big amounts of damage.
Jungler = player/champion using jungle to obtain Gold and Experience.
Fighter = Usually AD based champion with better survivability than normal AD carries.
Support = Champion who is helping other teammates (Giving them possitive auras, Healing them, shielding them etc.).
(More about pushing and ganking HERE)
There's still Google, if you dont know something just type it HERE
+ Great Crowd control equipment.
+ Tons of supportative abilities (her Help, Pix! and Wild Growth combo can absorb insane amount of damage).
+ Helpful even without strong items / doesn't need farm.
+ More build and lane possibilities, less or more ******ed (Thank you Phreak for representation of Jungler Lulu ^^)
+ Perfectly fits in current meta.
+ Can turn Tryndamere into a CUPCAKE! (although you need skin)
- Poor mobility and lack of dash/blink ability. However, don't forget you are support champion, most supports like Soraka, Sona, Janna, Taric etc. doesn't have it too.
- No low-cooldown heal like other supports.
- Squishy, like most supports.
- No built-in auras like Tailwind, Consecration, Shatter etc.
- Needs perfect positioning to both reach allies and avoid enemies.
- Early game mana-starving, but don't worry. Most supports have same problem.
Sure you want to be squishy, so rather pick alot of cooldown reduction ^_^
"Scrooge McDuck" Runes (Also viable set)
Greater Mark of Armor
Greater Seal of Gold
Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist
Greater Quintessence of Gold
Greater Mark of Magic Penetration
Greater Seal of Scaling Mana Regeneration
Greater Glyph of Scaling Ability Power
Greater Quintessence of Ability Power
|Saaa||+ 8.6 magic pen.||SPaaaaa||+ 10.5 mana regen.
|Saaaaaaaa||+ 27.5 AP
|SPaaaaaaaaaaaaa||+ 15 AP|
I decided for standard pure AP runes. Ability power and Magic penetration offers good damage increase and mana regenarion is just small boost for your mana pool (I think everyone with leveled-up account have Greater Mark of Magic Penetration and Greater Quintessence of Ability Power available).
In general, I'm focusing on Utility tree because it offers many bonuses for support. It solves your mana problems with Expanded Mind and Meditation (although reckless spamming your skills will drop you to zero anyway). It gives alot of handy bonuses like Improved Recall , Swiftness and additional gold increase with Greed and Wealth (spent one point for one more Health Potion/ Mana Potion at start). Biggest advantage is cooldown reduction from Mastermind , Intelligence and Summoner's Insight . I spent remaining 9 points into defensive tree to be a little bit tougher. I prefer Hardiness over Resistance because your armor is poor early game.
That 21 points in offensive tree are standard for most AP carries, just maximize my damage output. Rest points are spent a bit weirdly but it works well. Summoner's Insight for better Flash, Expanded Mind for bigger mana pool and some points for Swiftness because of your poor movespeed (spent only 2 points since you are starting with Boots of Speed). Last 3 points spent on Resistance becuase Mid lane is occupied by dangerous (mostly) AP carries and some magic resistance comes handy.
<-- Support | AP -->
Summoner spells are evergreen, noone gets surprised by AP carry holding Flash+ Ignite or support with Flash+ Clairvoyance. I will just add some other valuable spells. (Ideal to switch one of them with second spell, always stay with Flash)
- Since it got buff, it's frequently used on any champion type just because it scales well and helps whole team. Your only heal is single-target and has long cooldown so why not?
- When laning with mana-starving guys like Ezreal, Urgot etc., it can be useful ability. Very situational choice.
- Helpful in all stages of game, many possibilities from saving turret to quick jump on one of wards to get into teamfight.
(White: description, Green: support usage, Red: AP usage)
(Innate): Pix fires a barrage of 3 bolts, dealing 9 + (6 × level) magic damage total, at whomever Lulu attacks. These bolts are homing but can be blocked by other units. When used Help, Pix! on AD carry or On-hit / AS carry (e.g. Teemo), it can be extremely useful passive. Because it doesn't scale with AP, it's not strong source of damage, but at least useful during last-hiting on mid-lane.
(Active): Lulu and Pix each fire a piercing bolt dealing 80 / 130 / 180 / 230 / 280 (+0.7 per ability power) magic damage, slowing enemies hit by 80% for a 1 / 1.25 / 1.5 / 1.75 / 2 seconds. An enemy can only be damaged by one bolt. It inflicts massive slow, but has no deeper support potentional. That's why im maxing it last as a support. Because of nice scaling and fair cooldown, It's my main source of damage and im maxing it first (after Wild Growth)
(Active) – On ally cast: Target ally gains 35% movement speed and bonus 20 / 30 / 40 / 50 / 60 AP for 5 seconds. (Active) – On enemy cast: Polymorphs an enemy champion for 1.5 / 1.75 / 2 / 2.25 / 2.5 secs, disabling their ability to attack or cast spells and reducing their base movement speed by 60. In teamfights, It's much more useful to use it on enemy instead of ally because Polymorphed AD carry means 4v5 teamfight. When you have team with strong CC and Polymorph isn't needed, use it to boost your Ability power. But choose wisely.
(Active) – On ally cast: Commands Pix to jump to an ally and then follow and aid their attacks instead of Lulu's for 6 seconds. Upon arrival, Pix shields them for 60 / 105 / 150 / 195 / 240 (+0.6 per ability power) for 6 seconds. (Active) – On enemy cast: Pix deals 80 / 130 / 180 / 230 / 280 (+0.6 per ability power) magic damage to target enemy unit. Pix then follows and grants vision of them for 6 seconds.
I'm mostly choosing friendly units, only exception is to prevent escape of stealther by revealing them before they disappear. It deals magic damage = it's part of your burst. But don't forget, it can shield your allies aswell.
(Active): Lulu enlarges her ally, knocking enemies away from them. For 7 seconds, her ally gains bonus 300 / 450 / 600 health and slows nearby enemies by 30% / 45% / 60% for 1 second. Awesome ability for support, this will save many lives. There's nothing offensive to do but isn't it brilliant to be AP carry capable of healing for ~900 points?
Some tips & tricks
- Pix, Faerie Companion can have negative effects like killsteal when mounted Help, Pix! on your ally, or putting tower aggro on you even if you aren't targeting champion.
- Glitterlance's projectiles are unstackable (both damage and slow) so you don't need to aim enemy with both skillshots. It's better to slightly spread your skillshots (into "V") to make better chance to hit him.
- Don't forget, Glitterlance shoots from location, where is currently your flying friend (using Help, Pix! on enemy and then Glitterlance him from negligible distance is effective harass).
- Whimsy is best used on enemy with steroids on ( Rapid Fire, Burst of Speed, etc.) so it completely wastes his ability.
- Using Help, Pix! on champions with quick stealth ( Shaco, Wukong, Talon etc.) prevents them from escaping since they remain revealed.
- Don't forget on Wild Growth's initial phase when it knocks all nearby enemies. Useful against channeling abilities like Drain, Nether Grasp etc.
Slot 1: Boots
All champions need boots. For Lulu, I strongly recommend mercury treads becuase you are focused alot. Another viable options are Mercury's Treads against heavy-CC team or Boots of Mobility for faster warding. Ionian Boots of Lucidity for ppl without runes.
Slot 2, 3 and 4: Primary Items
Your key items to support your team. Shurelya's reverie gives temporary movement speed buff to your allies, Aegis of the Legion makes them a bit more durable and Locket of the Iron Solari can be casted to shield your entire team. But don't forget to keep warding. If your gold goes only on items, you aren't good support.
Slot 5: Optional
Depends on situation, I choose one of these items:
When all of these conditions are matching, buy this item: 1) You need additional magic resistance to survive their AP carries. 2) Noone of your team have this item. 3) You have AP carry in your team. If you have no problems with survivability and want more auras, this is for you. Offers ability power and spellvamp :)zeke's herald Good item when you have AD-based team. By the way, it offers cooldown reduction so you can sell your Ionian Boots of Lucidity and buy Mercury's Treads or Boots of Mobility When enemies keep focusing me, I get this item. Gives great passive, and some of defensive stats to survive dangerous situations. When I have big problems with enemy AD carries, this is an amazing counter. Same with zeke's herald it offers cooldown reduction so exchange boots.
Mana issues -> Hint
Simple cheap item, but extremely useful for all those mana-starving champs. Because you are support, you don't need space for superior items. If you want it, get this before / after finishing Ionian Boots of Lucidity.
Big problem with this item is its cost. You are support and you can't farm much. But it's still viable and gives some lovely ability power. (Ideal to get before Aegis of the Legion, then upgrade into Archangel's Staff after Locket of the Iron Solari)
Slot 6: Wards
sight ward sight ward sight ward sight ward sight ward
- Surprised? Why? Look at your cooldowns. Don't worry, later on you will buy Abyssal Scepter and Void Staff for shreding their resistances. (There IS option to buy Sorcerer's Shoes for early-mid game and later on exchange them with Ionian Boots of Lucidity. That's because early-game, 20 flat magic penetration is big bonus, unlike late-game)
- You are quite mana-starving early game, plus you want some survivability and additional power. All of these stats are availible here. catalyst the protector offers awesome sustain early. (I know there are people prefering Rylai's Crystal Scepter, yes you can buy this instead of Rod of Ages but I think you have already good slows)
- This item doesn't need any comment...
- Since you have only two offensive abilities, you need additional burst. That's why I chose this one. Second reason why is this ites important for you is cooldown reduction (btw kage's lucky pick is good money-maker)
- This item is situational. Sometimes you need more armor than magic resistance or someone already got this so it's useless to have two unstackable auras etc. Here are possible replacements: Will of the Ancients, Zhonya's Hourglass
- You are pure AP, you need to shred their resistances! If enemies are doing nothing but stacking magic resist, buy it after Rabadon's Deathcap
Here is some simple math, showing posibilities of my full AP build:
Your single-target burst deals around 2000 magic damage (If you decide to use Help, Pix! offensively), and still you have powerful Polymorph debuff and amazing health increase for one of your teammates. It's sober idea to play AP Lulu in my opinion.
Of course, that 2000 magic damage is ONLY burst damage, if you wait 3 seconds, you can cast Glitterlance again for another 500-600 AoE magic damage. Then wait another 3 seconds to use Help, Pix!.
Many people will play AP Lulu because it's just more entertaining. On the other hand, support Lulu fits better in current meta, because someone must support AD carry on bottom lane and Lulu is perfect choice for this job. There are much more perspective AP carries fully specializing in dealing "Tons of damage" rather than supporting allies.
At level 6, 11 and 16, don't forget to level up you ultimate, Wild Growth. Nothing new.
1. Help, Pix! makes you support, it shields your ally for fair ammount. Needs some practise to use properly, requres perfect timing. Shield needs to be strong enough so I'm maxing it first.
2. Whimsy is good utility for your team, disabling enemies or empowering your allies. Im maxing it second.
3. Glitterlance's reason to level up is better damage. You are support so you don't need it. Slow from rank 1 is enough. However I'm starting with it because it gives laning advantage with spammable poke.
1. Glitterlance is your main priority. As I said, reason to level up is better damage. You are AP so you need better damage.
2. Help, Pix!'s enemy cast deals damage, so I'm maxing it second. Second, because Glitterlance has shorter cooldown and AoE damage.
3. Whimsy has nice disable, and also boosts your AP, but it deals no damage so I'm maxing it last.
How to be a good support
This section is dedicated to all support champions
As a support, you have something like "Ten Commandments"
- 1. Let farm to your teammates.
- 2. Ward important areas / Always keep your wards alive.
- 3. Annonce missing enemies in your lane during laning phase.
- 4. Let kills to rest of your team. Supports-Stealers are just "wtf?!"
- 5. Use your abilities to rather save allies than yourself.
- 6. Early game, check Anti-Gank wards every 5 seconds. (What? More about it later...)
- 7. Remember most important respawn times (Baron Nashor, Dragon).
- 8. Stay behind your tanks / offtanks during a team fight.
- 9. Communicate with your team and listen what they need.
- 10. Stay with your team in dangerous situations.
You are support, it's your role to place wards on critical location for many purposes.
Early Game Wardmap
Red - Most important wards early game are Anti-Gank wards. They are life-savers. Also revealing Dragon.
Blue - For comfortable laning, enemies just can't hide in brushes and your AD carry (I hope ranged) can poke them whenever he wants. These are optional, recommended to ward only one of them.
Mid-Late Game Wardmap
Red - Your top priority is now to prevent enemy getting most important neutral creeps, including Baron Nashor and Dragon. Always keep these wards alive.
Orange - Key locations. River is something like a neutral zone between you and your enemy. That explains why it's important place to ward.
Yellow - Enemy Buff camps. Place where enemies often go for their buffs. Ideal place for ambush ^_^
Blue - Optional wards, not as important as above, but still useful.
Purple - Against an aggresive and annoying team. Garen: "To protect our land!"
More about warding HERE. My guide is about Lulu, not warding.
About Item Actives
First of all, what is Item Active: Some items have ability that can be activated by clicking on that item in your bag, As a support you are maintaining two main actives: Movement speed buff from shurelya's reverie and Shielding nearby allies from Locket of the Iron Solari. sight ward and Vision Ward are behaving like item actives so this must be controlled too.
Because you are maintaining 2 Item actives + Wards + your regular abilities, you can have problems with controlling your Lulu. If you aren't experienced player, it can be problematic (e.g. press W, target enemy, then must use Locket of the Iron Solari by clicking on item, then quickly dodge enemy Rocket Grab etc.). There are solutions:
You can use hotkeys. Either standard hotkeys (1 = first slot, 2 = second slot etc.) or even your own hotkeys. It can be set in: Game menu -> Key bindings -> Section "Inventory Items".
e.g. I set "T" as a hotkey on sixth item in my inventory, your sixth item will be activated whenever you click "T". Look on your keyboard now:
Your abilities, item actives and spells are near each other, resulting "comfortable" control.
Patch and Guide history
White: Guide updates/ fixes
Orange: Patch notes/ Buffs and Nerfs
Cyan: Guide statistics
2012-03-20 : Released patch V1. 0. 0. 136 including Lulu
2012-03-23 : Published my Lulu guide
2012-03-24 : Fixes
I want to say thanks:
- Riot games inc.
- jhoijhoi and his guide about guides
- Panglot and his guide about warding
- Each +1, +Rep, +Comment
Also check my Nautilus guide HERE
(Gonna add come funny pictures / comics about Lulu)