Lulu Build Guide by Meenaaa
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
Not Updated For Current Season
Support Bot Lane
Boots and Enchants:
Example End Build:
Not Updated For Current Season
my name is Mena and I live in Germany in Europe. This is my first guide here on "Mobafire" and I just want to offer you my personal style of playing Lulu as a supporter.
I hope I am able to help a few people to understand how to user her abilties, what is important about playing support and when and why she is a viable and decent pick.
I apologise in advance for possibly upcoming Grammar issues and problems because Englsih is not my native language.
- AA - auto attack
- ADC - attack damage Carry
- AD - attack damage
- AP - ability power
- ARM - armor
- CC - crowd control
- CD - cooldown
- CDR - cooldown reduction
- dmg - damage
- lvl - level
- MR - magic resistance
- ppl - people
- pre - previous
- Reg - regeneration
- scnd - second
Support in General
In this chapter I try to explain what a supporter has to do, what a support brands and and which types of support exist in general.
|As a supporter you accompany your ADC on the bottom lane. Your job is it to safe your ADC and to secure him kills and farm (don't last hit as support!). You can safe him by warding the river and the lane to protect you against ganks. Besides your ability kit allows you to protect your ADC in several situations against the enemy ADC and support. Any kind of CC, heals, shields and buffs can save your carry, too. Lulu's kit contains three kinds of a slow, a speed and ability buff, a "polymorph", a shield, a magic damage buff, an option to reveal enemy units and a health buff..
When the laning phase is over your job is it to enable vision and to protect your mates in teamfights and several situations.
|All-in-supports like Leona have the ability to 100 to 0 the enemy carry easily. They just wait for the moment to use their combo. Control over the bushes in lane is a huge priority for them.|
|Sustain-Supports allow the ADC to stay in lane for a very long time. Their ability kit often includes a health or mana heal. They enable the carry to farm as long as possible in lane.|
|Poke-harass-supports are able to attack enemies constantly with their huge range. This poke can be countered by heals but the harass also enables to beat supporter with no sustain (mostly all-in-supports) like Leona.|
|Many aspects clash by many supporters like Nami. She gives sustain in terms of a heal and she is also a poker with her AA-range and Tidecaller's Blessing|
Pros and Cons
+ Huge amount of CC
+ Amazing Poke especially in the early game
+ Strong in every stage of the game
+ Synergies with many ADCs
+ Strong with MS/dive champs like Singed
- No sustain
- Mana hungry
- Glitterlance is a difficult skill shot
- Passive can be blocked by minions
- Very slow
Flash: This spell allows you to engage and disengage. You can flash when chasing and the hit your abilities like Glitterlance or to use Wild Growth to save your mates.
Exhaust: This spell restricts a enemey's ability to attack. For example it can shut down Vayne because it reduces the important ms from her passive and her ad and as. In many situations it can help you to escape or change things in a fight.
- Ignite: It's an aggressive option to reduce healing effects, deal heavy add damage and to secure kills. In many situations you have to secure kills which your ADC cannot get and this spell helps you to do this. Heal is also a viable spell- very passive but decent after the changes (important: take Summoner's Resolve and possibly buy Eleisa's Miracle)
Masteries and Runes
is important to improve the strength of Exhaust and it enables you 5 AD and AP when you use Ignite and it is on cd.
- Defense: You need more health which
give you. Additional MR and ARM from masteries and runes are really important to improve your survivability because you're really squishy.
save your for the dmg of AAs in lane - again more survivability.
- Utility: As a supporter you need CDR, add Gold and Mana Reg to act perfectly. Summoner's Insight and Mastermind allow you to use Flash more. You get add Mana Reg from Meditation to avoid Mana Problems. Many support items have an active ability so it's important to take Artificer so you can use they more and more. Greed completes Greater Quintessence of Gold and Wealth allow you to buy one add Health Potion or Mana Potion. Very useful when playing support are Biscuiteer to get add sustain and Explorer to get an add ward. You can use it to bait Vision Wards or to get early vision to save your buffs in the jungle or to get vision on enemy buffs.
Greater Mark of Armor
Greater Seal of Armor
Greater Glyph of Magic Resist
Greater Quintessence of Gold
- Marks: To play more aggressive you can take Greater Mark of Magic Penetration / Greater Mark of Hybrid Penetration to improve your AA and ability damage. For ore defense play you can take Greater Mark of Armor.
- Seals: More Armor. These runes are really strong and the best ARM runes except of the ARM Quints. You really need these early stats and so there are no other alternatives.
- Glyph: You also need MR to avoid the magic dmg of enemy supports like Sona or Zyra which can deal huge dmg. The flat MR runes are the safer variant compared to Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist. Alternative for Mana Reg if you are not up against heavy AP in the enemy team Greater Glyph of Mana Regeneration.
- Quintessences: Greater Quintessence of Gold is really good to earn more money in addition to your items and Greed . You can also take one Greater Quintessence of Health instead of one "Gold-Quint" or three of these Runes to be more tanky in the early game.
Lulu and Pix each fire a piercing bolt that deals 80 / 125 / 170 / 215 / 260 (+50% of ability power) magic damage, slowing enemies hit by 80% for 1 / 1.25 / 1.5 / 1.75 / 2 second(s). This slow decays over time.
An enemy can only be damaged by one bolt.
- Tip: Use Help, Pix! on an enemy unit. Now Pix attacks from this unit's position and so you can use Glitterlance from this unit's position.
- Whimsy :
On ally cast: Target ally gains 35% movement speed and 20 / 30 / 40 / 50 / 60 bonus ability power for 5 seconds.
On enemy cast: Polymorphs an enemy champion for 1.5 / 1.75 / 2 / 2.25 / 2.5 seconds, disabling their ability to attack or cast spells and reducing their base movement speed by 60.
- Tip: Use this ability to interrupt the cast timeof abilities like Miss Fortune's Bullet Time or to avoid escape abilities like Arcane Shift.
- Help, Pix! :
On Ally Cast: Commands Pix to jump to an ally and then follow and aid their attacks instead of Lulu's for 6 seconds. Upon arrival, Pix shields them from 60 / 105 / 150 / 195 / 240 (+60% of ability power) damage for 6 seconds.
On Enemy Cast: Pix deals 80 / 130 / 180 / 230 / 280 (+60% of ability power) magic damage to target enemy unit. Pix then follows and grants vision of them for 6 seconds.
- Tip: Use this ability on an enemy when he's going to Flash to be able to chase because of the vision on him. Example: Shaco is going to use Deceive ...
- Wild Growth :
Lulu enlarges her ally, knocking nearby enemies into the air. For 7 seconds her ally gains 300 / 450 / 600 (+50% of ability power) bonus health and slows nearby enemies by 30 / 45 / 60% for .25 seconds. This slow duration is refreshed if enemies stay near Wild Growth's aura.
- Tip: You can safe lifes when use it in the right moment to avoid the dmg of Ignite. It's useful to use it on a tank who stands in the whole enemy team to get them all slowed.
Ruby Sightstone: Your first aim is the this item to get add health and to avoid spending money on Sight Wards. Vision Wards are allways important when your team is going to kill the
- Philosopher's StonePhilosopher's Stone: A great item to improve your sustain and to get more add gold. You can make Mikael's Crucible and Shurelya's Reverie out of it which is really cool too.
- Boots of Mobility: Really good boots because Lulu is really slooow. Your map sontrol is improved because you can run across the map so fast that you can ward important areas and objects better. Btw: Use Whimsy to get to risky places quick and to leave them quick when you want to place a Sight Ward.
Mikael's Crucible: Since the changes to this item it's my main support item. You can spam abilities with wasting nearly no mana and its active is a really strong tool. It's similar to Quicksilver Sash but useable on allies. Safe the active because its cd is really high ...
- Shurelya's ReverieShurelya's Reverie: An amazing item to engage and disengage. The items active allows your team to surprise enemies when they are for example out of position. It's also a great item if your team is a bit behind to offer security.
Locket of the Iron Solari: If your jungler or top laner doesn't buy this item it is always your first choice item. The costs are relativly high so you have to save a bit money. It's really strong if you're up against heavy Aoe dmg and to shield (a bit) the dmg of spells like Death Mark.
Morellonomicon: CDR, AP, Mana Reg and reducing of healing effects - I start to love this item more and more. Lulu is one of the supports with a huge dmg output. Thanks to her passive she deals magic dmg with AAs.
Twin Shadows: A nice gap closer which also allow zo get vision when the enemy for example denies your vision to take down
. It also gives huge MR to deal with heavy AP teams.
- shard of true iceShard of True Ice: I don't use this item often but it is a huge improvement for your team. The Mana Reg Aura helps strong pokers like Ezreal or Jayce. Use the active slow on your initiators and tanks which incur many enemies.
Objects and Warding
This buff is really important in the late game. It gives you and your mates 300 gold and an 900 experience. The champ that landed the last hit gets 25 gold and every alive member of your team gets the Baron Nashor buff, which grants Attack Damage, Ability Power and bonus Health/Mana regeneration.
Tip: When warding ( Vision Ward) this buff be sure that you get vision in the whole baron nest and/or walk with your oracle through the whole nest.
Killing dragon gives everyone on your team 190 gold and again 25 gold bonus for whoever landed the last hit. The dragon also gives 400 total experience - but not global.
Keep up observing the enemy support and how deep he goes into the river area.
Increases the owner's mana reg by 25 + 5% of his maximum mana or it increases his energy reg by 1.5% of his maximum energy. Besides the buff grants 20% cooldown reduction for a duration of 2:30 minutes. If the buff owner got killed, the buff transfers to the killer and the duration is refreshed.
This buff belongs to important early objects you have to protect. Your jungler often starts jungling with killing this buff. You should help him to gain this buff by covering the area around this buff and helping to kill the buff. Always be careful of enemy invades: For example you can ward the mid lane sidebush if you're up against early presence from champs like Blitzcrank or Thresh.
Basic attacks or abilities that apply on-hit effects from the buff' owner deal an extra true damage. The enemy is also slowed by 8/16/24% if the attack is melee, or by 5/10/15% if the attack is ranged. Again the buff's duration time is 2:30 minutes and again if the buff owner got killed, the buff transfers to the killer and the duration is refreshed.
If your jungler starts Blue Buff you can go to protect the buff by warding this buff to render a possibly invade visible. Yeah, the top laner mostly tries to protect this buff but you can support him by warding. If you jungler starts Red Buff (for example Lee Sin, Aatrox or Rengar) you should cover his blue buff. To conclude you can say that you have to protect both buffs in the early game but also in other stages of the game.
Open the Spoiler:
- Bot Lane. I tried to show that you can always use Sight Wards or Vision Wards. If you know that the enemy support uses the place to ward deny his vision. Never be the first who uses a pink ward if the enemy support has one too! You cannot beat supports Fiddlesticks with his Terrify or Leona with Shield of Daybreak in a pink ward battle ... . Besides, these both supports want to have bush control in lane to start their all-in combos so keep that in mind.
- Lane Wards: These wards (btw, the graphic shows not so many Vision Wards but keep in mind that you can use them everywhere especially and the near of buffs and objects) can help your team do get vision when lanes are pushed. You can see there the enemy is roaming around and wards near an inhibitor (when pushed) are really good to get the ful control about the enemy's actions.
- Oracle: Sometimes you should prefer an Oracle's Elixir instead of buying other items. Boots of Mobility and Whimsy help you to clean up enemy wards but be careful in every stage of the game so that you never get caught. If you dominate the game or the jungler the enemy's jungle deep wards are really good but otherwise try to focus on river wards.
||He's a melee support and weak until he receives his Q+W combination. If he uses this combo try to use Whimsy to ruin his combo and if he lands his combo on you carry occupy the enemy ADC.|
||Infamous but often a weak matchup: He's melee and is based on hit his Rocket Grab. Try to get vision in the lane bushes and be careful of his roaming if you wants to assist the enemy jungler. If your ADC got grabbed stay calm because you're still able to win trades.|
||He has become really popular and I haven't played against him so often yet. Until now I just can say that you should be able to gain bush control in lane to avoid Crowstorm.|
||She has the ability to save her ADC in several situations and she's able to provide strong ganks with Monsoon. You outrange her and the enemy lanes' trade potential is low. If you constantly pushing the lane use a Vision Ward in the scnd lane bush to deny the vision she generally wants to gain in this situtaion.|
||She has a high trade potential after she gains lvl three and six. If she is activating Eclipse be careful because often this is the initiation of her combo. Try to harass her on lvl one and if you ADC got hit by her combo use your spells on the enemy ADC. Don't underrate her damage output and keep up vision in the lane bushes!|
||She has a huge amount of poke pre lvl 6 when she uses Tidecaller's Blessing on herself and she has the exact same range as you. Try to avoid her Aqua Prison. She often tries to use this difficult skill shot out of a bush so you should keep up vision in these bushes.
After level six the enemy lanes' trade potential is huge; keep this in mind.
||A well played Sona is a difficult matchup for your lane. She has sustain and a huge amount of poke and dmg. Keep up the lane bush vision to avoid her insane dmg output. If she plays too aggressive in the early game try to punish her and if she lands Crescendo on your ADC try to disable the enemy ADC in time.|
||She enables her ADC a huge amount of sustain with Astral Blessing and Infuse. She counters your dmg ouput with her passive ability and your poke with her sustain but she got no huge trade potential after lvl six because she doesn't have a CC ultimate.|
||He's melee and based on landing Dazzle. If he lands his stun use Whimsy and Glitterlance on the enemy ADC. His passivly granted ARM is useless against your poke - keep this in mind. If you position wrong his surprisly high burst with Shatter and Radiance can explode you and your ADC. Use Wild Growth to counter this.|
||His ability kit is just unfair if used right. His AA dmg is huge because of Flay's passive so punish him if he tries to AA your ADC. If he lands Death Sentence on your ADC shut down the enemy ADC. Be careful of the use of Dark Passage: He can use it to provide a gank or to save his ADC. If you stand on the spell's area ppl are unable to use it.|
||You need to have bush control to avoid an unexpected use of Grasping Roots. This matchup is so hard because of her ability's range and her surprising dmg output. The laning phase is all about bush control and doding skill shots. Be careful of her passive Rise of the Thorns!|
To conclude I want to say that Lulu is an excellent pickup. She has got a lot of cc abilities, she's a poke and harass which are decent at the moment and she deals quite much dmg although she is just an support. I try to keep on playing her in several bot lane compositions to add the chapters about Synergies and Matchups.
So at least I hope I could help you a bit to know which Runes and Masteries you should take and why and how to skill her abilities and use them well. Besides I hope I could offer you several good items and a decent overview at warding.
Finally I hope you're successful when playing Lulu as a support.
Thanks to jhoijhoi for creating Making a Guide
Enjoy your day and Carry your Carries
- 12th August 2013 - Created Guide
- 17th August 2013 - Edited Cheat Sheet and the chapter "Objects and Warding"; added "Pros and Cons" and "Support Matchups"