Malphite Build Guide by AegisDevil
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Hello, I am AegisDevil, known as AznCake13 for my summoner. This is my first guide ever and its for offtank Malphite, and ap Malphite. I myself am a pretty good malphite player and is one of my mains so I hope this guide is slightly useful to you the reader.
This guide is for fun, and probably should not be used in ranked, I will make a more serious build when I have more time.
Also this item Chalice of harmony is used for all of my experiences.
CS: Creeps Slain
Ad: Attack damage
Ap: Ability Power
Dps: Damage per second
Tanky: Can take quite a bit of punishment and live
There is a world of perfect harmony, where all are part of the whole. The Monolith is the essence of all creation, and its denizens are but singular pieces of it. It is beautiful in its symmetry, and in its almost complete lack of uncertainty. The rocky beings that live there know their place and work to fulfill their duties to the fullest extent, functioning almost as a superorganism or hive. Malphite has always strived to live up to his full potential, as his own personal part of the whole, serving the role of a distinguished creature questing to enforce his people's flawless vision of order.
One day, without warning, a dimensional rift opened, and he was summoned across the cosmos to the world of Runeterra. The transition was painful and terrifying for him, as he was cut off from the song of his people and the Monolith - things that had been ever-present in him since the day he was born. He raged, trapped in the Summoning Circle, as those who had called him made their plea. Runeterra was a world that had nearly been consumed by its disharmony. It was a world that needed champions to bring order out of chaos. It was to that end that the rock-creature was summoned, so that he could aid them in this quest. Looking past his own fear and apprehension, Malphite could see that this was a respectable goal, and one in which he could participate - perhaps uniquely so. Today, as part of the League of Legends, he hammers those who would seek to upset Valoran's movement toward order, especially turning his attention to those that wield chaotic magic. Unfortunately, Malphite has also begun to change, as he has been forced to face his own profound loneliness among the world's vibrant individuality.
"Beware, minions of chaos! The Shard of the Monolith has come."
Pros / Cons
- A natural tank with Brutal strike active
- A Passive shield = 10% free health :)
- Ap Mid Viable in some situations
- Can Jungle (This guide not tell you how to jungle)
- Rock Solid
- Decent Slow
- Quite Squishy Early Game
- Seismic shard doesn't do too much until rank 3
- Only one ranged poke
- Quite slow, 310 Movement Speed
- Can get range kited, by champs like Ashe
- This is the main role of Malphite, and what most people tend to play him as in this current meta. When you play as this role what you want to do is disrupt the other team as much as possible, as well as soaking up damage for your team, a.k.a your carry. But that doesn't mean you can't deal damage too, that is why in this guide I use Trinity Force, as in the words of Phreak, it allows for Tons of damage. As well as Athene's Unholy Grail allows for a bit more damage too.
- This is not as commonly seen, but is viable. All of Malphite damage skills have a ap ratio, not very high, but they are there. If you play Malphite like this, then you should not plan to carry since he is not a very late game damage dealer, just a Ap caster Dps. I've played this role before against a Galio middle, and let me tell you that was not a fun time, I could not manage to get a kill on him until my jungler came to gank, as well as when my ultimate was up. But this was also because it was Galio, which means that he was supposed to have quite a bit of Mr. But here is the Pro to being a Ap Malphite, you will just melt squishy characters at middle or top such as, Teemo, Ziggs, Zilean, Zyra, Lulu, etc.
- Need to test more to put in my input.
The skill sequence is as simple as it is, just follow how I put it there and your good, unless in some situations when you might need to level up ground slam or brutal strikes first, for jungling, otherwise seismic shard is your best skill in your arsenal. The only time you want to change this is for if you support, I recommend maxing your E (Ground Slam) first because of the attack speed debuff.
[*] Flash: One of the best spells in the game, and can help you set up unstoppable force and destroy your foes.
[*] Ghost: Also a very good spell that can help you get that extra speed boost to chase or escape, I take this most of the time.
[*] Ignite: If you plan to carry, or the other team has someone who is reliant on healing themselves such as Swain, or Dr Mundo, or Fiddlesticks.
[*] Clarity: Can help you spam your skills more, I don't use this, and neither should you, Unless maybe your playing with a mana dependant Champion like Graves.
[*] Exhaust: Good counter to AD carries, the slow and damage de-buff is useful and I think stacks with seismic shard.
[*] Heal: With the earlier buffs, I tend to use this in some occasions
[*] Teleport: Good if your solo top or feel you need more map control on your team.
[*] Cleanse: Good for if your against a cc heavy team.
[*] Smite: If your jungling then of course get this.
[*] Clairvoyance: If your supporting, this is a great spell to have as it will allow you to also have more map control.
Do not take unless your a troll:
[*] Revive: Its ok, I got revive, no I don't
[*] Surge: BIG ROCK
[*] Rally: 404 ERROR NOT FOUND
[*] Promote: GOTTA PUSH HARDER (That's what she said)
Masteries are also just as simple as that, to summarize, offtank go all the way down to CDR then rest into Defense, AP all the way down to 21 points in it, and Support mix of defense and utility. The mastery set up above, is what I recommend you should use, but you know, I can't make you do this build exactly how it is, so if you feel it's better to change the masteries around to fit the enemy team compositon, be my guest.
Heart of Gold
Aegis of the Legion
Athene's Unholy Grail
Ionian Boots of Lucidity
Rod of Ages
Will of the Ancients
Chalice of Harmony
Heart of Gold
Ionian Boots of Lucidity
Aegis of the Legion
Boots of Speed + 3 Health Potion (Recommended)
Meki Pendant + 3 Health Potion or Sight WARD + Health Potion
- All of these items are good for the beginning of a game, I prefer to start with boots and 3 health potions just because I enjoy to be fast early game and Boots of Speed help me dodge skill shots. Plus the extra 450 Health from the Health Potion is useful for staying in the lane longer.
- Doran's Ring/ Doran's Shield are both good and only situational, say you have to go mid, or going against a strong ad character top like Darius, then these are what you need.
- I've tried Meki Pendant first in a few games, and the mana regen was helpful for a while until I really needed a chalice of harmony which provided me enough mana regen to not need blue, and 450 health or a sight ward is useful.
PRIORITY ITEMS/MUST GET
Chalice of Harmony/ Athene's Unholy Grail
Aegis of the Legion
These Items YOU MUST GET for this guide.
- First Chalice of Harmony/ Athenes Unholy Grail, these items fix all of your mana problems, for good, or at least for me. When I get the chalice of harmony, I nearly never need blue buff If I'm mid. And I am a very spell spammy person, which is why I tend to play people who do not have mana now. Plus the Ap, Cdr, and Mr, are very nice in the unholy grail.
- Next Aegis of the Legion. I really don't have anything to say about this item other than, it's just AMAZING. For such a low cost it gives you SOOOOOO much, must buy on Offtank and support, no questions, just do it. Shame it loses its worth late game though.
- And now finally wards. Some new players do not understand that WARDS SAVE YOU FROM GANKS, AND GIVES YOU VISION OF THINGS LIKE BARON Nashor OR DRAGON . For the low price of 75 or 125 gold, you can get a sight or vision ward. Sight is just a normal ward that gives you vision of 1200 I think, and Vision is a ward that can detect stealthed units such as Twitch, Shaco, and Evelynn. And also can see other wards. Supports aren't the only ones who buy wards, most players don't understand this so they leave base with about 200 gold after they bought they're item, which they could've used to buy a couple wards with. Long story short, buy wards, save lives.
And alot more items....
- Lets start with Sunfire Cape. Honestly, I am no longer a fan of this item, for Malphite at least. My explaination for this is simple, the passive does NOTHING late game, It will most likely only do 22 damage, to the AD CARRY, and who knows if it even damages tanks. Also 20 hp and a 40 damage aura for 800 Gold, is not very gold efficient unless you get it kind of early in the game and farmed enough with its help that it pays for itself. Its still a good item, for early-mid game. I'm just not a fan of it especially since its nerf so you could no longer stack them.
- Next is Warmog's Armor. I myself never have used this item on Malphite before, but seen some other players use it. Warmogs is a expensive item (3000 gold) but offers 1000+ Hp and 30 Hp5 regen at max stacks. This best part is that this item can stack so you can possibly have 7000+ Hp. I like this item for when I play Tanky AD Dps, not Tanky AP Dps. Due to the fact Riot has not yet implemented an Ap version of Atma's Impaler. Warmogs is a nice item that boosts your passive with its massive health increase and Hp5, but nothing else.
- Now DFG, or Deathfire Grasp. This is a item that you can buy if you feel your not bursty enough, which you are, but if you want, this item is quite useful as it will deal a nice chunk of magic damage to your target. I really don't have much to say about this item since I hardly ever use it on any champion other than Vladimir, but hey this is still a nice item.
- Hexdrinker...... I don't even know why people take this. I've seen some people take this on Malphite, and I really don't see why you would. You can buy a Negatron Cloak and null magic mantle with that amount of gold if you need Mr, and the Ad is.... not very helpful. The shield is the only reason I'd recommend this item. Guardian Angel. This item is quite useful for anyone as it gives anyone a second life every 5 minutes. This is a very good item that offers quite the amount of armor and MR. The only problem I have with this item is that resistances and a second life is all that it offers. But it does not quite cost all that much compared to other tanky items. 2600 Gold is a very reasonable price.
Okay, lets get something straight here, Malphite can be very hard to last hit with at some points as welll as lacking in a spamable aoe that is not Brutal Strikes passive. Speaking of which the passive can cause you to miss CS. Why do I say this? It's because you maybe hitting a Creep and the passive procs onto nearby enemies, causing you to deal damage to creeps that are already low health but aren't killed by the passive, which means a friendly creep may end up getting the last hit on it, making you miss CS. Another reason Malphites farming is difficult is that, Ground Slam, is not spamable. Yes it may do great AoE damage, but it has a fairly long cooldown without CDR. So you cant always rely on it to farm a large creep wave that was built up by an enemie push. And finally my last reason is that if you are getting owned by an enemy in one of the lanes, most likey solo top, then it may cause you to resort to using Seismic Shard to get what little CS you can get. But don't let this change your mind about playing Malphite, he is very good. But just remember that farming can be difficult sometimes when underfarmed/underlevel or just plain early game. But in the pushing phase none of this matters and Malphite can clear minion waves at ease.
So Malphite is a tanky character which has quite a bit of damage, Anti-Ad skills, and amusing quotes as well, I Hope after reading this you will go and try out one of my favorite Champions, The Harmonic Malphite.
4/18/12 V1.00: Created Guide
4/19/12 V1.01: Moved Somethings around, added Skill Explaination and Farming sections
5/2/12 V1.02: Waiting for Athenes Unholy Grail
5/5/12 V1.03: Small edits, nothing too big
5/23/12 V1.04: Added Fiendish Codex for Athenes Unholy Grail
6/12/12 V1.05: Replaced Sunfire Cape with Randuins Omen, Added Athenes Unholy Grail, Minor Changes, finished Skill explaination, Worked on Items
6/25/12 V1.06: Minor fixes, added support role, wrote more in "Items" section
7/9/12 V1.07: More fixes and percentage fixes
7/19/12 v1.08: CHANGED "OFFTANK RUNES", AND ADDED BUFF/NERF TO GROUND SLAM
7/20/12 V1.09: Got bored so added stuff
7/29/12 V1.10: Major tune-up to guide
9/4/12 V1.11: Added Guardian Angel to "item" section
11/9/23 V1.12: Added Frozen Heart to "item" seciton, removed "skill explaination" tbr, and changed some runes
12/25/12 V.13: Minor S3 Update
Thank you for reading, and if I ever finish this, and you like this guide, +1 please :).