Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
This is my first build, So I want to know what people think so far before I do anything else to it. So, I hope this helps if you're wanting a little info on Malz :D
Pros / Cons
1. Great farmer
2. Great damage output
3. BEST PET EVAR
4. Good DoT and AoE damage.
5. Great in team fights.
2. Short range on Ultimate
3. Focused on a lot in team fights
With Malzahar, there are a few different routes you can take to succeed. The Main way I go is as follows:
1. Doran's Ring. Doran's Ring, overall is the best starting item for Malz. It gives bonus mana, health and mana regen. Fits perfect for him.
2. Sorcerer's Shoes. Sorcerer's shoes, are basically the default mage boots. so no need to explain anything here.
3. Morello's Evil Tome. This item is really great for malz. Grants a bunch of AP which is always a joy :P also, reduces ability cooldowns. It's always annoying to wait those few extra seconds for his null zone to get off CD.
4. Rabbadon's DeathCap. Rabbadon's Deathcap is probably one of the best items in the game. It grants you 155 extra AP and the passive increases that by 30%. What's not to love?
5. Banshee's Veil. This item is also great for malz. It grants extra health, mana, and magic resistence. It also blocks a negative spell cast on malz every 45 seconds which can always be a lifesaver.
6. Abyssal Scepter (If having trouple with the higher AP mages) Against those really annoying AP mages, or just another malz this item is great. It ups your magic resistence and ability power and also lowers nearby enemy champion's magic resist so you can y'know open another can of Woop ***?
7. Zhonya's Hourglass.GREAT ITEM. On top of this item's 100 armor and 50 AP the passive makes you invulnerable for 2 seconds!!! How beast right?
With the above item build, I do pretty well, Situational items should be self explanatory.
Malzahar, is by far one of the best farmers in the game. By using his "E" spell Malefic Visions, He can wipe out a wave of creeps in seconds. Malefic Visions is so resourceful because it passes on to another enemy after it kills the one it's on. (Champion or not). So I recommend getting Malefic Visons first. Also, never be afraid to spam a few spells to get your VOIDLING :)
Blue buff, while not essential is very handy. So I recommend grabbing this whenever possible. Constantly restores mana when malz's spells use up so much mana. It'd just be dumb not to grab it.
Early game, I grab my doran's ring and run to mid turret. ALL you need to do for the first 10-15 minutes, is 1. Not die and 2. Farm the hell out of minions.
Mid game, you should have at least your Boots and your Evil tome. Then you should start on your soul stealer, deathcap and even your banshee's veil. You should also be initiating ganks and participating in team fights.
By now you should be able to buy your hourglass and if you need it abyssal scepter. The whole game by now should be endless teamfights. With malz, I do not recommend BDing because you're at high risk of being ganked and no one to help you.
In team fights, as malz you should stay in the back. Always throw Null Zone down under where the melee champs are duking it out for some extra damage. Always silence whoever you can with Call of the Void, doing so will almost guarantee that team fight to be a win. It's also quite useful to throw Malefic Visions on someone being attacked for an extra kick of damage and a possible kill. NEVER initiate team fights because you don't want to get focused on and go down quickly. No champ can survive a 5 man onslaught.
Using your ULT.
When using your ult, always ALWAYS throw down null zone under the champ right before using it and maybe even throw Malefic Visions on them for the max damage output. If you don't have Null Zone of CD, then don't use your ult.