Maokai Build Guide by RestfulSHADOZ
Not Updated For Current Season
Not Updated For Current Season
Hey, it's RestfulSHADOZ, and this is my Maokai Guide. I have been playing Maokai for some time now and would like to make this guide the best I can. I would appreciate any feedback.
Credits to jhoijhoi for the template, which you can find here.
+Amazing burst damage rotation
+Best initiator with Twisted Advance
+AoE ult Vengeful Maelstrom that reduces damage
+Can be an AP Mage, AP Tank, or off support
+His "E" Sapling Toss has a good range/damage for harass
-Mana starved early game
-Long cool downs
With Maokai any Mastery Tree can work depending on he is being used. I went 9/20/1, utilizing Arcane Knowledge , Honor Guard , and Summoner's Insight for best over all damage out put and tanky stability.
Or if you feel that more mana and mana regen is need this page should work with a focus on Expanded Mind and Meditation
- Greater Mark of Magic Penetration: Magic Penetration is useful for all of Maokai's skills sense they are based off of AP and work well with Arcane Knowledge .
- Greater Seal of Scaling Mana Regeneration: The per level mana regeneration is more effective then the flat because at level 6 the regeneration rate is the same and between Clarity/ Mana Potion there should be no trouble reaching level 6.
- Greater Glyph of Ability Powerand Greater Quintessence of Ability Power are used to have a very good damage out put for excellent farm and harass with Sapling Toss
Clarity:To restore mana when needed most by ie: harassing, ganking, or escaping a gank.
Teleport:Best used to either get back in lane quick, help gank a lane, or push a lane.
Clairvoyance:If playing a more support roll "CV" should be used especially if there are people who are jungle.
- Sap Magic: His passive allows Maokai to restore HP on the next auto attack after 5 spells have been cast near him. This might not be the best passive but over time it does help keep him in lane.
- Arcane Smash(Q) briefly knocks up enemies close to Maokai and sends a wave forward damaging/slowing all in the path.
- Twisted Advance(W) is what makes Maokai a tank by allowing him to "root" target enemy in place.
- Sapling Toss(E) will be the main damage for Maokai. With a range of 1100 it provides harass/farming from a safe distance while also acting as a ward for 35 seconds till an enemy approaches, chasing for up to 2.5 seconds before exploding.
- Vengeful Maelstorm(R) reduces non-tower damage to all allied champions in the area up to 20% and when the effect ends energy absorbed will damage all enemies with in making his ult a really good game changer when used properly.
Maxing out Sapling Toss first because it is the main damage dealer. Then I have found that getting Arcane Smash next provides better survivability with its utility more then a split second root from Twisted Advance.
2) Twisted Advance to root target as close to the Sapling as possible.
3)Finish with Arcane Smash to add extra damage along with slowing target to again keep them with in range of the Sapling
*auto-attack till slow has warn off.
- I never start with a Doran's Shield or Doran's Ring.
- Early boot will give him early mobility sense Maokai is really slow to begin with.
- Now depending on the other team and if I am soloing or not varies on how many Health Potion and Mana Potion to get. I tend to get two health pots when soloing and two mana Pots when not.
- Change to your style of play, passive maybe get Health Potion and more aggressive get Mana Potion. Now your probability thinking why not the other way around? Well its actually very simple. With the HUGE range Sapling Toss is this allows for easy harass ie: mana pots = more saplings and health pots = lane sustainability
- : Maokai has really long cool downs this helps with being able to harass and every seconds does count to save a team mate or trying to chase an enemy down with Twisted Advanceand Arcane Smash.
- Now if you feel that extra damage is needed or the enemy is playing fairly passive I will sometimes take Sorcerer's Shoes because extra cool down reduction will not help as much as that extra damage will.
- : If for some reason the other team has a ton of CC and are unable to get an effective Twisted Advance then hopefully some Tenacity will help that issue.
: Building for RoA is the most important early item for Maokai. Its passive keeps him in lane longer and provides very good health, mana, and AP. Also it takes up to 10 minutes to receive all the bonus stacks.
**This is where some people will want to vary the build between one of two items**
- : For a lot of extra mana to play around with or if you are not good with mana management this will be a very good investment.
- :For the people who feel that mana is no longer a big issue this item will improve not only Mao's sustainability and damage but will also slow enemy's, which is very useful as a tank to allow your team to engage.
**Note that the order does not matter(unless you are thinking of getting Tear of the Goddess), remember to adjust to how the game is flowing and that the items listed are just how the final build should look like; how you get there depends many factors**
- : If you opted for Tear of the Goddess then this will add a lot of AP to the finish build once the stacks reach a high level.
- : Again if you opted for Tear of the Goddess you should try to work in this item just because the stats are still very useful.
- : Infinity Edge of casters, need I say more?
- : This will help with over all damage from the AP given along with reducing MR of nearby enemy champions by 20. Abyssal Scepter also gives 57 MR which makes Maokai more tanky.
- : Is just another power item granting 100AP, 50 Armor, and with an awesome passive to keep the enemy from just flat out nuking you before a proper rotation can be done or keeping you alive long enough to let your team come to help by putting you in a stasis for 2 seconds.
: Still a very useful item for the HP,AP, and slow.
**More AD heavy team**
- : If you feel that you are getting focused to hard Guardian Angle should hopefully take some pressure off of you, if not then the other team will have wasted most of there CD's allowing you and your team to still be fresh for a fight.
- : This item has many good uses, 99 Armor, 500 mana, 20% CD reduction, and the most important reason for this item pick is for its 20% reduced attack speed of all nearby enemy champs.
- : I would choose this over Guardian Angle if you still want descent damage but also feel that you don't get nuked as bad and just need the passive as more of a last resort.
: If you just feel like having a ton of HP to just make it hard to kill you go for it, I personally would almost never take Warmog's Armor but like I've said adapt to the other team and you teams needs you are a tank first, mage second.
**More AP heavy team**
- : This will still give you good AP along with helping your AP carries.
- : good HP and mana boost along with being able to block one negative spell enabling Maokai to not get shut down right at the start of a fight by letting him get Twisted Advance off.
- : This will provide good HP regen, slight movement speed boost, and has the best MR in the whole game.
In teamfights Maokai is meant to get right into the thick of things using Twisted Advance to single out a focus target. Then as the fight takes place make sure to use Vengeful Maelstrom along with using Sapling Toss to either cut off an escape route or to extra damage during the fight. In the middle of a fight don't forget to use Arcane Smash for it will knock up the other giving you the slight damage lead and will also slow the focus target making them unable to run.
Maokai is a really fun and versatile champion to play. He does take some time getting use to managing mana, harass, and when to do burst damage. If you have any comments or questions feel free to ask.
Upvote if you liked the guide, and only downvote if you feel it is absolutely necessary. If you do downvote, please inform me of why, and perhaps I can fix any mistakes I have made.
I will also be streaming at: http://www.own3d.tv/RestfulShadoz and will be trying to get more videos up on youtube at: http://www.youtube.com/user/RestfulShadoz?feature=mhee