Master Yi Build Guide by Camperison
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Master Yi Build
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Hi! this is my first guide about Master Yi
Unlike the usual play style (usually i saw Master Yi is only jungling) i'll guide you how to play Master Yi with critical DPS
Master Yi is quite easy to use (i think)
He can farm well as well to kill. His ultimate skill, can be used for chasing enemy champion that have Hit Points below 40% and for runaway (i'm not recommending it)
Because he is easy to play, if you already can farm well 1 or 2 practice is enough :D
What you can see in this updated version
- Playing style
- Explanation about his abilities
- Alternative build
- Warding and using elixirs
- Skill sequence
- GOD-LIKE build (at last :D)
Master Yi builds
Please comment and vote if you leave this page. I don't mind if it is a negative comment or vote, because it's just for revision for my guide so it will be better :D
Pros & Cons
Main Pros & Cons
+ easy to play
+ great champion to kill and farm
+ great deal of damage
+ destroy turrets and inhibitor quickly
+ can kill any kind of champions easily
- weak on early game
- expensive items
- getting focused in early game
- there is a chance for your item to failed (but i already have the solution, see the tips and tricks part)
Main DPS build Pros & Cons
+ Damage hurts
+ Balance between damage, attack speed, and lifesteal
+ Items are not really expensive for great deal of damage
- Weak on early game
- Items are quite expensive
- There is a chance for your item to fail
Alternative build Pros & Cons
+ Cheaper items
+ Get OP earlier
+ You can get the items done faster
+ Lower chance for your items to fail
+ Good for those who just tried out Master Yi
- Not really OP in late game
GOD-LIKE DPS build Pros & Cons
- TRULY GOD-LIKE
- Massive lifesteal
- Massive attack damage
- Massive attack speed
- Too OP until you can by 1 with baron easily
- The items are very expensive
- Hard to play on early game
- There is a very big chance for your item to fail (if your items looks likely to fail, just switch to alternative build)
For the runes, i'm not sure yet what is the best choice but i already asked my friend about the runes and i already got some quite good choice
- 9 Greater Mark of Desolation, because here we play DPS some armor penetration is quite good i think
- 9 Greater Seal of Attack Speed, we play DPS so attack speed is really important
- 9 Greater Glyph of Critical Chance, i'm not sure this is the best choice yet but some CrC is quite good
- 3 Greater Quintessence of Desolation, as i said earlier some armor penetration is quite good
But in the alternative build, because he needs more CrC so i change 9 Greater Seal of Attack Speed into 9 Greater Seal of Critical Chance
For Masteries, because Master Yi plays offensive i suggest you to go 21-9-0
For offensive you will need Deadliness for your CrC, some Sorcery for cool down reduction (but not full), Alacrity, Sunder to keep you longer in the lane for early game, Brute Force to give you some offense in early game, Lethality for increasing your damage at late game, and Havoc to give you some extra damage
For defensive you will need Resistance and Hardiness to keep you strong to fight any kind of champions, and Strength of Spirit to increase your HP Regeneration
For items, this is what you will see when your items are done :
To build it, here is the purchase order :
+ > > > > > > > > > > >
However, there is some alternative since the main build is so expensive but don't expect the same effect for the DPS. Build this only if you keep getting killed in the early game and feel useless. With this build you still can get some kills but not as easy as normal build. The benefit is this build is way more cheaper on early game. This is what you get when your items are done:
The purchase order are :
> > > > > > > > > > > >
Usually i'm using
for running away and
to helping my allies and ganking if there is some wards, but there is another alternative tough...
Good alternative :
- helps you in chasing or running away
- since he is squishy, but i don't think it's really necessary because you already can meditate to restore your HP
- to fight your enemy champion in the jungle
- to remove some annoying debuffs
- helps you in chasing enemy
- helps you in chasing or running away
Useless alternative :
- since you don't have any difficulties in farming, i don't think this is really necessary
- only for support champions
- you are not that mana hungry =.=
- only for support champions
- ARE YOU JOKING?? It's totally USELESS. IF YOU DIE JUST DIE!!! Do you think you are the most important person and your teammates can't do anything without you? it's ridiculous =.=
Master Yi's abilities
Alpha Strike - Master Yi leaps across the battlefield with blinding speed, dealing magic damage to multiple units in his path with a chance to deal bonus magic damage to minions.
Master Yi leaps across the battlefield striking up to 4 enemies, dealing 100/150/200/250/300 (+1) magic damage to each enemy with a 20/30/40/50/60% chance to deal 400 bonus magic damage to minions.
Meditate - Master Yi rejuvinates his body by focus of mind, restoring health and increasing his armor and magic resistance for a short time.
Master Yi channels, restoring 140/280/420/560/700 (+1.65) health over 5 seconds. While channeling, Master Yi gains 100/150/200/250/300 armor and magic resistance.
Wuju Style - Master Yi becomes skilled in the art of Wuju, passively increasing the power of his physical attacks. Activating Wuju Style doubles the passive bonus damage for a short time, but the passive bonus is temporarily removed after the effect wears off.
Passive: Increases physical damage by 15/20/25/30/35.
Active: Master Yi can activate this ability to double its effectiveness for 10 seconds, but this removes the passive bonus until Wuju Style becomes available again.
Highlander - Master Yi moves with unparalleled agility, temporarily increasing Master Yi's movement and attack speeds as well as making him immune to all slowing effects. Additionally, killing a Champion refreshes all of Master Yi's cooldowns.
Increases Master Yi's movement speed by 40% and Attack Speed by 40/60/80%, and he becomes immune to all slowing effects for 6/9/12 seconds. Additionally, killing a champion refreshes all of Master Yi's cooldowns. (Assists reduce half of the base cooldown amount.)
Double Strike - Master Yi strikes twice every 7th attack.
For skills, i'm recommending you to get Wuju Style to max level first because it gives you quite a boost for early game to kill. For skill sequence Highlander is the first priority, Wuju Style is the second, Alpha Strike is the third, and Wuju Style is the last. So, the skill sequence is like this :
1. Alpha Strike
3. Wuju Style
4. Wuju Style
5. Wuju Style
7. Wuju Style
8. Alpha Strike
9. Wuju Style
10. Alpha Strike
12. Alpha Strike
13. Alpha Strike
General Master Yi's playing style
Master Yi playing style is more or less just like this : Alpha Strike to the target, activate Wuju Style, hit it a few times, activate Highlander and chase it to death. Please remember your mana left with you. If it is only a bit left, just hit it in basic attack rather than activate your Wuju Style first. Please remember that your Alpha Strike can be used to catch up with anyone who use flash to escape, so don't spam your Alpha Strike
But this playing style can be combined with summoner spell for example, with exhaust : Alpha Strike, activate Wuju Style, hit it until they try to escape, use Exhaust to them, activate Highlander and chase it to death
So, based on that conclusion you use your summoner spell when they trying to escape. "But how if they are using Flash?" just use your Alpha Strike to catch up. "If they are running to the forest?" use Clairvoyance if you are choosing it. Just for you acknowledge, it's better not to use flash in the forest except you also have Clairvoyance. But if you are using these summoner spell, you can't play using wards. So i think it's best to combine a summoner spell with Teleport. Just choose your favorite between these : Clairvoyance, Ghost, Ignite, Exhaust, or Flash. But i don't really recommended you to use Flash tough, it's not efficient to catch up with our target in the forest. I would prefer to use Ghost because it is efficient for catching up with your target in any circumstances and it can be used for running away.
REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE SQUISHY CHAMPION!!!
So activate your Meditate after you finished your battle. Actually don't really depend on your Meditate to heal yourself, remember you still have fountain back there in your base to heal you. If you are wounded really bad, just go back using your Recall and jump back to battle using your Teleport. Remember to use Teleport wisely, for example jump to a turret or ganking someone by teleporting to a ward. Don't be reckless, if there is 2 champions, you still wanna jump and begin the war alone? That's suicide man... You are just feeding them by doing that. Make sure there is more than you to gank someone. What do you think is easier, killing 1 champion by yourself or killing 1 champion together with you allies? You sure think killing together with your allies is way more easier right? Are you afraid your teammates stealing your kill? Don't think like that man, that is the moment when your teamwork goes. Just say "nice" or "gj" to encourage your team. Doing this until all enemy champion dies and only watching while you are pushing and destroying their turrets together will make your enemy desperate and only thinking "we will lose this game". Isn't that cool? Teamwork is everything in this game :D
GOD-LIKE DPS Master Yi
At this time, this is quite a hell for you. Your damage isn't really hurts yet and you don't have any lifesteal, attack speed isn't improved yet, and you are damn hell squishy. Once you get your first core item, The Black Cleaver the game is going to turn in your favor because you have damage, attack speed, and armor penetration with you. So here is the item sequence for early game : Doran's Blade (since you are squishy) > The Black Cleaver (to turn early game into your favor), and Berserker's Greaves. But please remember, to prevent your items from failing get The Black Cleaver before level 6
At this time, you already can get kills easily. Use the basic combo to kill and get your Infinity Edge and Phantom Dancer done ASAP. These makes you easier to get kills. You are already quite god-like but not GOD-LIKE yet. Be careful because usually at this time your enemy isn't playing solo anymore, usually in a group of 3 or 5. So watch out of ganks
Late Game (you are truly GOD-LIKE)
Get your items done, buy 2 The Bloodthirster and another Phantom Dancer. Sell your Doran's Blade and Berserker's Greaves if your inventory is too full. When you have done this, you are truly GOD-LIKE. Even fighting 1 vs 1 with baron not make you die instead of winning with full HP, thanks to your massive lifesteal from The Bloodthister. But before going by 1 with baron, kill as many creeps as possible to maximize your life steal and damage from your The Bloodthirster. There you are, you are now truly GOD-LIKE :D
Let me introduce you a little bit about the monsters in Summoner's Rift:
- Golem : see that big guy, looks like stone with some mosses on his body. Nearby top lane or bot lane, that's him. He stands with one other guy
- Ancient Golem : looks like the usual golem but you will get buff if you kill him. He has a big amount of Hit Points, more punishing blow, and he is accompanied with two lizards
- The Wolf : there is like the leader of the pack, his colour is brown. He is a little bit stonger than other wolf. They always hits critically.
- Lizard Elder : he looks like a blue lizard, he is strong just like ancient golem and also gives buff if you kill them. Same as ancient golem, he is accompanied by 2 lizards
- Wraiths : looks like ghost, there is a blue one and 3 wearing brown cloak. They do lifesteals
- Dragon : just like his name, he looks like a dragon. He is very strong but every one of your teammates will get a bunch of golds if one of your team kill him
- Baron : this monster is the strongest of all. His body colour is red and gives you a great deal of boost by his buff if one of your teammates kill him. He provides more gold for every one of your team if one of you killed him
So if you wanted to jungle, here is the sequence :
1. Level 1-6 : hunt down wolfs, wraiths, and golems
2. Level 6-16 : hunt down ancient golem and lizard elder, also other monsters except baron and dragon
3. Level 16-18 : if you already feel strong enough, invite all of your teammates to fight off baron and dragon. But don't do this if your team is almost defeated, enemies can gain advantage when you and your teammates are fighting baron. They gank your team together and steal the kill
Tips & Tricks
I saw this cheats in the league of legends forum. It's not actually a cheat, but it's only a trick that works like a cheat. Look at this http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=232942&highlight=cheat
Warding can help you to look at a location in a map and it could works like map hack if you use Teleport to that ward (only if you put it correctly). I'll show you how to place a ward properly by these instructions below :
- Place a ward effectively - If you could reveal 2 areas by 1 ward, why do you need 2 wards? So put a ward in the most strategic area
- Putting a ward to avoid surprise attack - It is important to place a ward at a place when usually enemy champion go out and attack you from behind until you have nowhere to go and kill you, especially for those who using squishy champions
- Place a ward to gank - Who knows that ward can be used for ganking? It's easy! But you must know the best place to place your ward. And where is it exactly? It's in the brushes! Putting a ward inside brushes can avoid you from being ganked and for you to gank. Simply just Teleport to your ward
- Elixir of Agility Click to Consume: Grants 12-22% Attack Speed, based on champion level, and 8% Critical Chance for 4 minutes.
- Elixir of Brilliance Click to Consume: Grants 20-40 Ability Power, based on champion level, and reduces cooldowns by 10% for 4 minutes.
- Elixir of Fortitude Click to Consume: Grants 140-235 Health, based on champion level, and 10 Attack Damage for 4 minutes.
Use these elixirs to give you some boosts. It's best to use elixirs in early game. Buy the whole set and you are ready to go :D
here are some of your good partners :
- who have advantage on early game like Pantheon, Xin Zhao
- tankers like Alistar, Amumu
- support champion like Soraka, Kayle
- nukers (who have high skill damage) like Annie, Veigar
- who can slow your enemies like Ashe, Cho'Gath
- stunner like Taric, Twisted Fate
1. Choose the right partner
2. Look for situation for building items like if you are getting pushed continously, choose the cheapest alternative of that item. For example, you can't buy TBC quickly so just buy a Last Whisper
3. Try out the tips and trick, usually comes in handy
4. My friend usually call me a world-class runner because Master Yi's ultimate skill. When i activated it, no one can stop me from running and after my highlander is ended and i'm still chased i will activate ghost to keep me run away. It does sounds foolish but it comes in handy when you are ganked by more than 1 champion.