Master Yi Build Guide by Master Suzaku
Not Updated For Current Season
Master Yi S4 Top, Mid
Master Yi Build
Final Build Example #1
Not Updated For Current Season
Hi my name is Suzaku, I play on OCE and my league name is Suzaku Kururugi and yes I got the name from the anime Code Ge*** (chat filter OP). This is my Master Yi guide. Yi is my favorite champion, he always has been even after the huge nerf he got. He is still strong and a viable pick. This is my first ever time doing a guide, so go easy on me haha, feedback is much appreciated and if i missed anything let me know! Thank you :)
Pros and Cons
- Good at farming
- Can dominate lane easily, if done right
- Great at snowballing
- Good AD Ratio on his abilities
- His Alpha Strike(Q) is good for sniping out enemies on low health in team fights
- Alpha Strike Makes him untargetable for 1 second
- 70% CDR on kill or assist for his (QWE)
- Passive AD steroid
- True Damage
- Bonus critical damage from his Alpha Strike
- Has an inbuilt heal.
- Very squishy
- Vulnerable to ganks
- Vulnerable to CC
- Targeted in team fights most of the time
- No CC
- Can fall behind if zoned early
- Can fall behind if against a ranged champion.
- No escape besides his (R) Highlander or Flash
- Depends on early game advantage
- Meditate has a long cooldown
- Alpha Strike can be mana hungry.
Master Yi is an assassin, so he should be equipped with the right summoner spells and should be played like one.
Recommended Summoner Spells:
- Flash - Your panic escape button or "Get out of Jail" free card.
- Ignite - To finish off the enemy if they get under tower and are low.
- Teleport - If you plan on doing some split pushing and/or being sneaking and trying an xPeke.
- Barrier - The reason why barrier is a viable option is because, if you are against an high AP burst caster e.g LeBlanc This can neglect a majority of the burst which can save you and/or get you the kill aswell.
Not so recommended but viable summoners:
- Cleanse - It can save you from that last ignite tick if it came down to it.
- Exhaust - Your ult should be enough for you to be in attacking range of your opponent, but could help.
- Ghost - I personally don't see why you would really use this, since his ult gives him a speed boost steroid already, but it can work.
Greater Mark of Lethality
Greater Seal of Armor
Greater Glyph of Magic Resist
Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage
Additional runes you can swap for are:
Greater Glyph of Attack Damage: More damage is nice, but it will fall on you if you are up against an AP champion, since you will have less MR. You know what they say, it's better to be safe than sorry.
Greater Seal of Critical Chance/ Greater Seal of Critical Damage: These tie in nicely with Master Yi's Q Alpha Strike as he has a chance to critical strike dealing an additional 60% damage.
Greater Mark of Attack Damage: More damage is nice, but the extra armor pen from
greater mark of armor penetration is more fitting.
Greater Quintessence of Critical Damage x2 and Greater Quintessence of Critical Chance x1 can do well together although the extra AD from Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage is more suitable and fitting.
Master Yi's kit is made up on the four abilities Alpha Strike Meditate Wuju Style Highlander and his passive Double Strike.
Double Strike <passive>: Every fourth basic attack Master Yi strikes twice, the second hit deals 50% damage.
Alpha Strike (Q): This is your farming tool especially since it deals bonus damage to monster and minions, harass tool and on occasion your victory tool. Use it early game to farm but not too much as it can be very very mana hungry, also try to line up your Alpha Strikes so that you can hit your opponent and stay at a safe distance. When you see it right to alpha strike if your opponent is low enough and you think you have the damage then go for it, and if their under a tower don't be afraid to blow Flash as your get away IF you need to use it.
Meditate (W): Not as good as it use to be... and will never be. But this is your healing tool, use it to heal up after your duel, if played correctly and smartly, you can use it under your tower while the enemy is attacking you with the tower on them, and once you see fitting (within the 4 seconds of the cast) and if they're low enough you can Alpha Strike them for the kill. Since at max level it reduces damage by 70%, you can save your life if you're low and you can feel an Ezreal or Ashe ult coming at you, use it to try save yourself or you know, dodge it.
Wuju Style (E): Passively increases your attack damage by 10%. and when activated deals 10 / 15 / 20 / 25 / 30 (+10/12.5/15/17.5/20% of attack damage) true damage per hit. The bonus AD is lost while on cooldown. This can be effective for farming minions, since it doesn't cost any mana.
Highlander (R): Passively grants a 70% CDR to your QWE on champion kill or assist. When activated this can be used at your get away tool, or your "oh going somewhere, on my way" tool aswell.
Ability Sequence Order
Highlander > Alpha Strike > Wuju Style > Meditate.
We want to have our Alpha Strike maxed out as soon as possible to maintain pressure and your farming capabilities. secondly you want to focus on maxing out Wuju Style but depending on your scenario maxing out Meditate can prove better for sustain and obviously you want to have your Highlander maxed out by 16.
Since Master Yi is an assassin he will have to act the as one in a team fights and this means trying to keep at the back of the team behind the tank(s) and striking in when you seem necessary. This means striking in with your Alpha Strike and your Wuju Style proc'd.
Master Yi can also play as a "decoy" to the other team, this means if they go in and focus him, you can quickly use, well try to depending on your current state of CC, your Meditate this can give your team a chance to pick off the enemy team and then you can Alpha Strike in to become untargetable for that 1 second which can mean life or death.
All in all, Master Yi is a very good champion, affordable and can carry hard. I find him really enjoyable to play as, which is probably one of the reasons why he is my favorite champion and main.
Upvote if you liked the guide, I put a lot of time and effort into this guide, some feedback and advice for future guide would be grateful thank you. :)
A big shout out and thanks to Jhoijhoi. and her Making a Guide without it i would have been lost! If you plan on making a guide, check it out. It's a life saver for sure!