Threats to Morgana with this build
|Lux||In a direct matchup you do almost everything she does but better ... MUCH better. Your Q is on the same cooldown but hurts much more, your W gives you stronger waveclear, your shield makes her look like a babytoy. You farm all day while she has mana issues and basically you can all in whenever you like to if you hit Q which is easy against Lux. Overall: When 2 try to do the same thing its not the same thing.|
Thanks to Searz for the awesome guide format! You can find it here.
Hi my name is ... actually irrelevant. Im known as Satzmann666 (or Threshmeister to some ppl) and this is my very first guide so ill try to make it as complex and badass as possible. I mained support role since I joined ranked games 7 months ago and i soon realised how hard it is to carry from support role.
Morgana became my mid lane ticket to gold and higher basically the first game I played her especially for her safe and rewarding gameplay. As mid laner or support she brings great utility to the team as well as nice damage and her ultimate Soul Shackles is undoubtfully one of the best ultimates for teamfights. I hope you will enjoy playing her (if you dont enjoy her already) just as I do.
My guide should give you reasonable idea on what runes, masteries, summoner spells, skill distributions, items and tactics you should be using and has divided sections for either MID LANE or SUPPORT Morgana.
If you think something in my guide is untrue, find a mistake, or just disagree with a certain item, point in masteries or rune please let me know in comments rather then downvote whole guide without a single word and leave.
You might have thought I forgot about my guide and you are right to think so because I did forget about it and I didnt in fact play LoL for a long time at the beginning of Season 5 (work, played Hearthstone a lot instead), but I am back and decided this guide deserves a S update.
Pros / Cons
I use the same set of masteries for almost all AP carries with only few exceptions. The 21 in offense is self-explanatory, 6 is enough for me in defense and 3 points in Meditation give some nice sustain boost.
The possible changes would be trading 3 points in Meditation for 1 more point in Veteran Scars , 1 point in Juggernaut and 1 point in Oppression .
These might offend some orthodox supports (OMG no points in defense tree, why dont you take Wanderer and blah blah ...).
Well I play supports really aggressively so these fit me the best and with these your dmg output as support when playing offensively in early game should be higher than your ADCs. Other thing is that Morgana is extremely universal support so you can play her as aggressive AP like I do, utility tank with 0/21/9 and different build, or any kind of hybrid masteries you want.
If you seek more standart support masteries including Wanderer you could go with these 0/9/21,
or these 9/0/21.
or any masteries you like for AP support really.
I dont really like giving advices on runes since everyone tailores those to fit their own playstyle so feel free to try anything and see if its working.
Greater Quintessence of Ability Power
Greater Mark of Magic Penetration
Greater Seal of Armor
Greater Glyph of Magic Resist
Greater Glyph of Scaling Ability Power
3x Greater Quintessence of Ability Power is sort of must have on most AP mids as well as 9x Greater Mark of Magic Penetration. Seals and Glyphs are really up to your imagination, just keep in mind that Morgana is AP champion and critical damage is not really useful on her :)
I use these same runes onSUPPORT Morgana.
Nothing to explain really, you will need this to escape from ganks when Black Shield fails, jump over walls, get near to enemy team to perform Soul Shackles or get away after you use it to engage. Flash is a must have on Morgana.
Great spell for securing kills after you use full combo, try to save it for the moment you know its going to kill the target.
In case you dont have Flash yet, good for sticking to your enemies when you use Soul Shackles.
As a SUPPORT take this when you are facing any scary AA (attackspeed) based ADC like Jinx, Sivir, Draven, but having at least one Exhaust in every game on team is almost mandatory.
Doran's Ring and easy low mana expensive farming with Tormented Soil it gives incredible sustain for a champion who has mana costs.
- Can save your life when you have ignite or any other DOT (damage over-time) on you just by hitting as much minions as possible with Tormented Soil.
Enchanted Crystal Arrow can be longer). Its kinda tricky to hit and needs some practice, but this ability will sure make your enemies cry "Nerf Morgana" in many games.
- Put a Tormented Soil under snared enemy champion to deal extra dmg.
- It deals enough dmg to steal buffs or even dragon when enemy jungler is not around to Smite it or managed to miss it.
Morgana so safe in lane. On lvl 3 it can kill all 3 caster minions and after you get your first AP items melee minions as well. As support use this to heal of minions and dont max it first.
- Use it wisely since it can easily overpush your lane and lure enemy jungler to babysit your lane.
- With Tormented Soil feel free to take your, or even enemy wraiths for extra gold.
- If you know enemy is going to focus a certain carry on your team shield him (unless he is Olaf), otherwise use it on yourself to be safer while performing Soul Shackles=> Zhonya's Hourglass combo.
- Binding a self cast key for Black Shield can improve your reaction times while laning.
Morganas arsenal. Use it to hit as many enemies and stun as many of them in teamfights. When laning call for gank or try to engage on your own and chain Soul Shackles with Dark Binding for great disable and guaranteed kill.
- Enemies like Vladimir or Fizz cant escape this by simply going untargettable, they need to physicaly escape the range.
- Combined with Dark Binding makes one enemy champion unable to move for hardly believable 4,5 seconds.
- PRO TIP Use this to scout for stealthed or somehow else hidden enemy champs. When any enemy champion, even if you cant see him, is in range it turns available.
This is my usual skill sequence when playing Morgana mid. I go for Tormented Soil to have safe level 1 farm and max it to 3 after i put 1 point in both Dark Binding and Black Shield.
You can as well grab Black Shield on level 2 to feel safer from ganks (in case enemy team has for example Amumu in jungle or Ahri with charm up on mid lane), just keep in mind that with this build you need 3 points in Tormented Soil ASAP to farm caster minions like a boss with single spell.
As support you dont farm, but you need as much utility as possible so Tormented Soil aside and on level 1 take either Dark Binding against a squishy support like Sona, Janna, Annie, etc, or Black Shield against tanky supports who usualy have hook, pull or any other kind of annoying CC ( Blitzcrank, Thresh, Leona).
Maxing out later strongly depends on how are you doing on lane. If you are doing good and enemy jungler isnt giving you much trouble you can max Dark Binding faster and if you are getting ganked often and your lane is doing bad max Black Shield faster to lower its CD and make it more useful. In most games 2 or 3 points in Black Shield is enough and i would recommend maxing Dark Binding for bindblowing (hehe) 3 seconds snare.
More info on items
- I put Zhonya's Hourglass in a 2nd inventory slot to have it bound to key 2 like any other most important active item in build ( Blade of the Ruined King fe).
ATHENES UNHOLY GRAIL
- With Chalice of Harmony or Athene's Unholy Grail feel free to leave blue buff to your jungler if he needs it (like Kha'Zix or Amumu do).
RYLAIS CRYSTAL SCEPTER
- All enemies hit by Soul Shackles will be additionaly slowed by this item. Use it to your advantage and try to follow them since its going to be even easier.
- Get it after at least 2 AP items to make 30% AP bonus as useful as possible.
- It is not a good idea to rush this item, since its effectiveness grows with amount of AP you already have and does not give you anything apart from the dmg boost.
- You should be the one to get it since you use your ultimate at the middle of enemy team in fights => you affect most of them with MR shred aura.
- Its passive deals HP% DOT so its good to build against tanky HP stackers such as Dr. Mundo or Cho'Gath.
- Just like with Abyssal Scepter, get it if noone else does and do your best to make as much enemies as possible suffer from its passive.
- Only build such heavy tank items when your team has enough damage to compensate for yours.
- Get lot of kills and assist.
- Dont die.
- With Seeker's Armguard try to get at least some lasthits to stack armor and AP when your ADC is away from lane or cant reach a certain minion.
FROST QUEENS CLAIM
- Use Tormented Soil to pickpocket + bandit gold from both enemy support and ADC in lane for biggest gold income.
Extra HP give you nice tankyness for trades.
- On your first back dont buy straight Sightstone. Instead grab couple Stealth Wards and some AP ( Amplifying Tome), Boots of Speed, HP ( Ruby Crystal), or armor ( Cloth Armor) for trades.
TALISMAN OF ASCENSION
- You dont have to rush full item, just get your Nomad's Medallion and finish it after you get Zhonya's Hourglass, tier 2 boots and Sightstone/ Ruby Sightstone.
LOCKET OF THE IRON SOLARI
One Locket of the Iron Solari per team is enough so dont build it if your jungler already did.
- Never forget to use its active.
RYLAIS CRYSTAL SCEPTER
Gives you extra tankyness, more utility and AP for reasonable price.
- All enemies hit by Soul Shackles will be slowed at the same moment by this item. Use it to your advantage and try to follow them since its going to be easier.
Compensates for no friendly castable heal in your kit.
- Just like with Locket of the Iron Solari, never forget to use its active.
Useful utility AP item for supports like Morgana, Annie or Sona who benefit from all its stats (AP, mana regen, CDR) well. Grievous wounds is extremely effective tool against lifesteal, spellvamp or champion healing abilities.
- Use Tormented Soil to proc Grievous wounds on multiple low HP enemies.
- In case you are being really wealthy this is your usual go-to item for maximizing your dmg output. More AP you have, more extra AP you get ... easy math.
Or you fail horribly and your gold wont be effectively spent :D.
- Get lot of assist (or even kills).
- Dont die.
When laning as Morgana your main goal should be your farm => lasthitting minions and farming with Tormented Soil.
In S4 lasthitting minions as AP mid became easier due to Arcane Blade so dont waste mana and try to farm as much minions as possible with autoattacks. After you put 3rd point into Tormented Soil farm caster minions from each wave with it and AA the melee ones. Id say that if you get 5 minions per wave => 60 - 70 CS on 10 minutes its good farm, but usualy you consider anything higher than your opponents CS a good farm.
If know how to do so freeze your lane and zone your opponent so he gets less minions (remember you can ignore some harras due to your Soul Siphon. If he goes too far from his turret safe area call for a gank and get a easy kill.
You can use your Dark Binding to secure lasthits on siege (cannon) minions, but keep in mind that if you have it on CD you are much more vulnerable for engage from your opponent and his jungler.
Morgana is sometimes called a "ungankable" mid laner and its not far from truth. If you have fast enough reaction times you can Black Shield yourself as soon as you see enemy jungler, fire Dark Binding in his or mid laners face and run under your turret, when being dived your best chance is [black shield] yourself and throw all you have on enemy who is being focused by turret.
If everything else fails you should still have flash to get away.
On the other hand Morgana is great at setting up ganks with Dark Binding and Soul Shackles when enemy pushes too far. If your jungler is comming for gank let him know about possible wards, position yourself well and either wait for your jungler to engage or (if you are sure to hit) fire Dark Binding followed with Tormented Soil or use your Soul Shackles => Dark Binding => Tormented Soil (=> Ignite) combo to get a kill.
Same combo is what you use when you engage on your own, but remember you are Morgana and your primar task is not to 1v1 enemy laner.
Its not Morganas strongest role due to low mobility but if everything goes well: you overfarm your opponent, push minions to his turret, poke him out of lane or even kill him its time to help out your teammates on other lanes (if they need it).
Ask about wards and go. Make sure the lane you are about to gank knows you are on your way, engage with either surprise Dark Binding from unwarded bush or ( flash =>) Soul Shackles => Dark Binding => Tormented Soil and always try to leave the kills to the lane you are helping to maintain ballance in your teams kills.
When facing any champion with good roaming ability Fizz, Ahri, Akali always call ss/mia after you dont see them for longer than 5 seconds and if you know which way they went alert that lane and try to safely follow them.
Its not champion kills that wins games, but objectives (turrets, inhibitors, dragon, baron) so try to take control over those. From a certain point of game (6 minutes) have Dragon warded all the time and Baron (15 minutes) as well. In early game if you get a chance (enemy jungler dead or low and recalling, enemy bot lane dead, etc) kill Dragon for extra global gold to get in lead.
As Morgana when taking either of boss monsters stand out of the pit using your Tormented Soil and autoattacks to help and possibly have your Dark Binding ready for anyone who would try to come and steal it (or use it to help with boss if your team wants to rush it).
With outer mid lane turret it is more about your minions, when your opponent goes back push hard and make your minions damage the turret. When its low push it by yourself or call for a gank, get enemy from lane and push the turret with your jungler.
As support DONT FARM (so obvious :D), but focus by all means on helping your ADCs farm.
So poke enemy ADC and support with Dark Binding and autoattacks for some nice dmg and extra money from Bandit , Black Shield any incomming CC and zone out enemy ADC from farm if you can.
You should have wards in river or (and) in tri-bush to see enemy jungler soon enough to retreat, but if something goes wrong and you get ganked you have to do the same procedure as on mid lane: Black Shield your carry or self depending who is in danger of being CCed (if the danger is same for both shield your carry ofc), fire Dark Binding into a enemy junglers/ADCs face and run under your turret.
When your junglers is about to gank, ping where you think (or know) enemy support placed wards, and fire a well aimed and timed Dark Binding or perform the already mentioned ( flash =>) Soul Shackles => Dark Binding => Tormented Soil (=> Ignite) combo.
Your key role at securing Dragon and Baron is keeping vision (and timers if jungler doesent) on them.
Dragon should be warded after 6:00 in game or so and has 6 minutes respawn time.
Baron should be warded after 15:00 in game or so and has 7 minutes respawn time.
When taking either of them stand out of the pit, use Tormented Soil and autoattacks to help with boss and possibly have Dark Binding ready for anyone who would try to come and steal it.
As for turrets simply help with your autoattacks and use Tormented Soil on enemy minions so they die and dont kill yours.
MID LANEand SUPPORT
Morgana in teamfights should behave the same regardles on her role in team.
You try to hit any enemy carry with Dark Binding followed with Tormented Soil, Black Shield your engaging tank (unless he is Olaf again :D), or yourself or any other CC focused carry and hit as many enemies possible with Soul Shackles => Zhonya's Hourglass combo.
After your golden 2,5 seconds end repeat Dark Binding => Tormented Soil combo into a nearest stunned carry and try to reposition so enemy team cant kill you after stun goes off.
Remember that Zhonya's Hourglass makes you unable to move so be careful with it. If you want to stun as many enemy champions as possible, first try to follow them and if they focus you use Zhonya's Hourglass to punish them for doing so.
I personally think its not so bad for a first guide and hope its going to be any helpful for those who seek knowledge on how to play champions. Ill update champion matchups and bonus-breaking the meta sections soon just not now (im tired of writing and need to play a bit :D).
Id like to thank Searz again for the guide template that helped me understand coding a lot and Riot for making such a great champion i could write a guide for.
Dont be afraid of the amount of text since every single word has its meaning.
Thanks for the 25000+ views it largely exceeded my expectations and therefore i promised to myself ill do more "sane" in depth guides ... stay tuned because things are about to get real with our most favourite Runeterras musician Sona soon.
And its already over 150k views. Probably because Morgs got so popular lately. About the upcoming guides, I had a huge delay because i had to work alot lately so I didn't get to PC often, but now because its school again i finaly have some time and promised Sona guide is already work in progress.
Feel free to comment in any language you want, but ill only answer those in English and Czech because im a racist f**kabish ;).