Jayce Build Guide by 0lumpy
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
Not Updated For Current Season
Not Updated For Current Season
Welcome to my Jayce guide. In case you didn't read the title, this is a solo top build for Jayce. This guide is unique in some ways from most Jayce guides, but it is also has some elements that are quite similar to other guides. Please refrain from downvoting me without reading my whole guide, but don't be afraid to explain your reasoning for your distaste for my guide. I would like to hear constructive criticism.
I don't want to waste too much of your time with a boring intro because you will have an in depth guide to read along with plenty of games to play after you finish reading this guide. I hope you find my guide insightful and enlightening.
Pros and Cons
Greater Mark of Lethality
Greater Seal of Armor
Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist
Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage
- greater mark of desolation: Although Jayce has armor pen built into his ult, he still needs more armor pen than the amount he has in his ult already. These runes should help you if the opponent has an armor based build and the marks will help you late game against opponents with a large amount of armor.
- Greater Seal of Armor: Flat armor for early game which is very effective for most solo top champions. The seals provide more protection to help deal with being squishy early game. The boost in armor could be the difference between life or death in the early stages of the game.
- Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist: These runes are helpful late game considering that you don't have an item that has a high amount of magic resist such as Banshee's Veil or Force of Nature. The glyphs tend to be considered a viable option for most champions and most games regardless of your item choices.
- Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage: The quintessences are a nice choice for extra damage early game. They will help you farm and they will add bonus attack damage to your spells late game. These runes also have synergy with the armor pen runes you have.
- Greater Mark of Attack Damage: A good rune choice if you chose to have your quintessences be doing the armor pen. I do not recommend having both the mark slots and the quintessence slots filled with flat attack damage, but if you already have those types of runes and you don't feel like buying more, it's not a bad option.
- Greater Glyph of Magic Resist: Magic resist runes are a must in this build because this build doesn't give you a lot of magic resist through items. I prefer the Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist over the glyph of warding because the magic resist is not as essential early game like armor is. The glyph of warding is not that bad of an alternative if you already purchased this glyph instead of the shielding glyphs.
- Greater Quintessence of Health: I wouldn't choose this type of quintessence unless my main purpose was to tank because of a squishy team. Armor pen or attack damage are more important than adding more health with runes if you already have a good tank/support.
- greater quintessence of desolation: Similar to what I said about the Greater Mark of Attack Damage, you should be shooting for both armor pen and flat damage. I would not recommend, however, to have armor pen on both of your marks and quintessences.
: This summoner spell is just awesome for adding a little extra bonus damage and getting the kill from champions that may be able to escape your wrath. Ignite is also very good against champions with healing or regenerating abilities such as Vladimir or Dr. Mundo
: A great summoner spell for decreasing or increasing the gap between you and the enemy champion. Although your movespeed is fast with the accelerator gate, flash provides a very good head start into your great pursuit or escape
: Another excellent choice for chasing down an enemy. I prefer flash over exhaust because your ability, To The Skies! already provides a slow. Exhaust still good you are required to be in hammer mode to perform your ability.
: This summoner spell is very effective early game. Early game issues such as sustain and being squishy are somewhat reduced by the power of the heal. I prefer ignite over heal because ignite has more uses late game than heal.
Not Recommended Choices
: The accelerator gate along with a fairly early pair of Ionian Boots of Lucidity make your movespeed already pretty fast for most of the game not to mention the Trinity Force you get late game. The other two mobility summoner spells I chose early are more viable in most situations.
: Smite is for junglers and this guide is not a jungle build so I would not suggest to get this summoner spell at all. The extra farm in lane is not worth having to sacrifice Ignite or Heal.
: This summoner spell does not help you very much because it does not buff you in a way that is very beneficial. The benefits of surge are bonus ability power and attack speed. The only ability that scales of ability power is Lightning Field and attack speed is already capped when you use your Hyper Charge so I would not recommend this summoner spell because its buffs don't increase stats that you really need.
: I would not recommend cleanse for Jayce. Cleanse is a debuff remover an its most important role is to help you escape or chase down enemy champions. The accelerator gate, To The Skies!, and one of the other mobility spells already help you with escaping or chasing.
: Jayce does not need clarity because mana is hardly an issue mid and late game. Jayce's Lightning Field has a passive that makes your auto-attacks regenerate mana and in this build the Glacial Shroud already provides enough mana. Clarity is not effective with the build I have created.
: This summoner spell is not good for Jayce because he is already good at pushing his lane. Promote is also a very risky choice because you may be reported for trolling.
: Although teleport can't truly be a bad choice because it can save plenty of towers, the other four summoner spells I recommended earlier are much more effective at allowing you to fight an opponent. Also you can't really leave your lane unless jungle covers your lane or your already winning your lane hard and these situations allow others to be more aggressive because jungle is laning or it allows your opponent in your lane is allowed to farm freely.
: This spell is not recommended because you should have a ward in your bottom bush for most of the laning phase. You also become weaker for not having extra mobility, heal, or bonus damage because you neglected one of the four summoner spells I recommended earlier.
: The reason I do not recommend revive for Jayce because Jayce has no on death abilities and even if he did I still would probably not suggest it. Like I said before, it makes you weaker because you must sacrifice one mobility or dueling spell.