Build Guide by
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
I've been perfecting this build since beta, iterating all the way to incorporate every major change to keep it fresh and from the games I've played, this has turned out to be the most optimal build for Morgana if you seek to smash face in the most efficient way. Skill required - Not included.
I have dominated many a game with this hero over my career, one that was filled with mostly Heimerdinger but after the nerf I've come back to my roots. Here are 10 things to keep in mind when mastering this champion:
1. Be sure to start with a Doran's Ring as your first item. Doran's Ring is the most well rounded and efficient item in the game and you will keep it right up until you are ready to start your last item. On your first return, be absolutely certain that you can get Sorcerer Shoes (Do not underestimate 20 Magic Pen) and at least a Blasting Wand to start the Archangel Staff. An Elixir of Brilliance to top it off would be most ideal but unless you were fed a couple of kills, it's not likely that you will be able to afford it.
2. Make sure without any excuse to purchase an Elixir of Brilliance on every return to the base. If anything, that is my secret weapon. So many people skip pots but the bonus it gives beats out a permanent yet lesser item hands down. One of these tacked on to a freshly finished item will make for a heavy lead in damage against the enemy.
3. Tormented Soil is trained up to 3 because at level 3 it is capable of completely killing off the back caster line of creep waves. This ensures you have 3 creeps for cash with every wave and you are free to stack your binding for max damage if you have good aim.
4. One rank of Black Shield until 14 is due to the fact that you will have a steep amount of Ability Power from being stacked with an Elixir. Shield takes 1:1 AP so it will be absorbing around 250-300 damage when you get the first rank at level 10. Providing you have everything set up in the manner I've established.
5. Use your Soul Shackles as a nuke. Do not make it a point to pop it for the slow effect it places. Make sure that when you cast it, it is meant to decimate their health first and slow them second. Don't run away on purpose but don't stay in and die for the second burst. Game sense and personal capability tie into this more than anything. If you know for a fact that you can stay in and hang with the apposing champion long enough for the second burst, do so. Do not turret dive for it and die.
6. Practice practice practice... Morgana has the potential to ruin someone's life when played to the players best ability. Being able to nail someone through a wall or at an angle to stop their escape with Dark Binding is the most clutch capability of Morgana. Once you have mastered Morgana Prime, little to no body at all with be able to escape you. Abuse the range and anticipate your enemies moves well and you will be a Hunter Killer.
7. Black Shield. This is simple, it stops everything. Parley, Ashe's Holocaust Arrow, everything. Snares and slows are void when matched against the power of Black Shield. Use it to stop a snare or a slow if you have to. Don't use it to absorb masses of damage every time, it's so good for every little thing that when you use it only to absorb masses of damage you run the risk of getting trashed through it. Again, this is where game sense and personal capability reign supreme. Mastering your timing with Black shield creates the black to the white of living and dying.
8. Remember that Tormented Soil hits instantly upon placing it. Optimal damage is dealt through dropping soil under the target first and then locking them down with Dark Binding second, though it is extremely tricky to get that Binding to them when placing Soil first. If you can manage it then you'll obliterate their health due to the duration of Tormented Soil compared to Dark Binding. Soil being 5 and Binding being 3.5. The time it takes your Binding to travel and hit the target will be enough time for the full duration of Soil to waste them away under the stranglehold of a full Binding and its initial blast. This mixed with Ignite and the burst of your Soul Shackle guarantees the annihilation of your current target. Binding first and Soil second is not out of the question, it is the common order but Soil > Binding is optimal.
9. Tricking enemy champions into thinking you are out of Mana and helpless anywhere after level 6 is a deceiving strategy for a Morgana with Clarity. Having your Clarity and Ignite ready as well as your ult is a dirty combo to champions who think you are open season. As soon as they get ballsy, make sure you have enough for a Binding at least and don't miss it. Pop Clarity, Soil, Ult, Ignite and watch them waste away. Follow them if you must to watch your second burst of Soul Shackle become the final nail in their swiftly closing coffin.
10. Do not underestimate the power of Morgana, with or against. She can be the most important cog in any vicious hate machine of a team or she can be your boatman on the river, Styx. Either way, give it a try and good luck if you've ever been interested in Morgana.
The Mastery Tree for Morgana Prime has been slightly updated to replace Burning Embers in the Offense tree with Presence of the Master in the Utility tree. Personal preference.
I have also updated the item build for Morgana Prime: Lich Bane, while still a very rad item, was swapped out for Rylai's Crystal Scepter simply for its 500 hp and its decent slow. Whether you choose to stick with the Lich Bane method or the new Rylai method is completely up to you. Lich Bane still offers a great deal to the build with the mana to synergize with Archangel Staff, a respectable amount of Magic Resist as well as a little giddy up in movement speed. The spell order remains the same but let us rejoice! Dark Binding was buffed twice over and her ultimate is back to its old self again! Let it be noted that the above guidelines now tailor to the way Dark Binding currently works.
Morgana Prime indeed!