Dr. Mundo General Guide by LieutenantLemon
Not Updated For Current Season
Tanky Top Mundo =D S4
Dr. Mundo Build
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Threats to Dr. Mundo with this build
|Nasus||Against Nasus, Mundo can keep his distance from his Wither, E AND ultimate - while dealing damage. When Nasus uses his ultimate, it isn't very hard for Mundo to avert Nasus' pimp cane - and slow him down.|
Hi, my name is LieutenantLemon. I have recently been playing Dr. Mundo in the top lane - and I have been getting in to his style of play in my ranked games. The main reason I started to play Mundo was probably because, other than the fact that his emotes are awesome - is that he is a champion with a unique style, unlike Katarina, Akali, Zed and so on - who belong to a very certain group like Assassin (*Those are still fun champions). Also, he is not one of those champions, where if you stop playing them/League of Legends for a little while - you become **** at them. *Cough* *Cough* Lee Sin :|
Items and why I have chosen them
Example Full Build
First of all, I would like to say that I always get a Warding Totem on Dr. Mundo top, and then possibly upgrade it really late game into a Greater Stealth Totem. But as always, this is kinda situational. You might be getting a Sweeping Lens or the other version of the warding totem, depending on the game.
- Warmog's Armor
- Sunfire Cape
- Spirit Visage
- Randuin's Omen
- Banshee's Veil
- Ninja Tabi - Furor OR Mercury's Treads - Furor
Ninja Tabi - Furor / Mercury's Treads - Furor
A few replacements for Banshee's Veil
(All of these runes can be viewed above, excluding the runes at the bottom of this box.)
Greater Glyph of Magic Resist x9 (+12.06)
Greater Quintessence of Health Regen x3 (+8.1 Per 5 Seconds)
Greater Mark of Hybrid Penetration (+8.1 Armor Penetration and +5.58 Magic Penetration)
You can also go with
Armor / Level
+1.87 (33.64 @ 18)
Magic Resist / Level
+1.87 (33.67 @ 18)
But this is recommended for less of a tanky build.
My personal masteries for the tanky top Mundo =D (Can be viewed at the top of the page also)
While in a ranked game's champion select, if you pick after what seems to be the enemy top lane, make sure that if they counter you - you can play your best in lane and get the best items for that situation. For example, if they have a Darius - even though he does counter you, if you know Mundo will still be the safest pick, not someone like Teemo - pick him. Maybe if you build the correct situation items as shown above, like a Mercurial Scimitar for his passive, you can still carry/do well in lane.
(Credit for image, edward966.deviantart.com)
Dr. Mundo is really useful for tanking out damage during a team fight. If you go in, close range against their AD carry, you can just stand there while your Sunfire Cape PROCs and the rest of your team bursts their team down. They will be forced to peel for the carry you are attacking, by focusing you down. But this will take a long time to do since you are really tanky o.o, so you can watch your team get kills again, and maybe pick up 1 or 2 yourself.
If you are against a champion who can kill you quite easily, you'll want to stay back and farm with your cleavers when the minions are low. If you aren't, go knee deep in minions and w (unless it's really early and they can get you low), make sure your minions are with you if it's early game, so you don't tank too much. When the minions get low, you'll want to cleave them with your q. An option other than w'ing would be to E, since it gives you extra damage - so you can farm when the minions are higher health - but not that high, so don't overestimate it, since you are leveling it last.
Pros / Cons
1. Hard to gank, when he does get ganked and takes long to notice, he can use Sadism to escape.
2. Can farm from afar with Infected Cleaver.
3. Ult is really easy to spam after cool-down reduction, so not as many deaths.
4. Snowballs quite well.
5. You can take a lot of damage in team-fights without dying.
6. GOES WHERE HE PLEASES! =D
7. Nice Skins :S
8. Hard to kill, all the time.
9. Not really difficult to learn/get into.
10. <0.05% ban-rate (Patch 4.13)
1. Doesn't deal a lot of damage early game unless you land some cleavers.
2. Ultimate is 75 second cool-down unless you get CDR
3. Uses abilities at the cost of health.
4. Can't eat people unlike Cho'Gath. :(
5. No AD Scaling (Excluding basic attacks)
To become a good Dr. Mundo player, you just need to follow the tips i have provided :), stay careful in lane and you can get a good grasp of the opportunities where you can get kills. I hope you enjoyed reading this guide.
TL;DR Spam Q and don't miss :D
- 02 Aug 2014 - Guide Created
- 02 Aug 2014 - Tweaks made to practicality of Guide and layout of items.
- 03 Aug 2014 - Added spoilers :D
- 05 Aug 2014 - 1K Views! =D
- 05 Aug 2014 - Added Wit's End to "A few replacements for Atma's Impaler"
- 10 Aug 2014 - Added Banshee's Veil to Full Build (instead of "A few replacements for Atma's Impaler). Also removed Atma's Impaler from Full Build and added it to "A few replacements for Banshee's Veil"
- 30 Aug 2014 - 5K Views x3
- 18 Sept 2014 - General updates in the 'Items and why I chose them' section.
- 14 Oct 2014 10K Views!!!! :D