Kayle Build Guide by Gramps Tewks
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Hello and welcome to My Fair Lady; a Kayle build guide of a different color!
I'm Gramps Tewks, and I'll be your curator as we explore the possibilities of playing with this extremely versatile and underestimated champion.
Here's Phreak's Champion Spotlight, in which he highlights Kayle's new (and ridiculous!) passive ( Holy Fervor), and shows how much damage she can do with just Berserker's Greaves and Malady:
Please comment and rate in the comments section below; share your experiences playing with or against Kayle and/or put in your criticism about the guide itself. A big shout-out to Speeder123's Guide to On-Hit Kayle, which stresses the vast importance of starting with Dagger!
Additionally, endless kudos upon kudos to the incomparable JhoiJhoi for the template, which you can find here.
Pros / Cons
+ Versatility: Support and Carry your team!
+ Holy Fervor + Malady = near-true damage
+ A veritable Swiss Army Knife of skills
+ Ranged-hybrid-DPS with Righteous Fury
+ Amazing farm all game
+ Plays well even when a game goes downhill
+ Quickly completes her powerful item build
- Requires cautious play early-game
- A little squishy
- Build locked-in until Nashor's Tooth
- Should cost more than 450 IP ;)
Kayle deals 1/2 to 2/3 of her damage with Ability Power, making the 15% Magic Penetration from Archaic Knowledge indispensable. When combined with Malady and Holy Fervor, Righteous Fury deals true damage after a few hits!
Some might hate on the defensive tree, but survivability is more important than ever in the current metagame; 48 health points from Veteran's Scars will have you surviving a lot of ganks alongside Greater Quintessence of Health, and Kayle is one of a select few defensive tree-users who fully benefits from Ardor 's powerful effects.
- Greater Quintessence of Health: When you consistently survive ganks with 40-80 health left, you'll wonder what you did before these. ;)
- Greater Mark of Magic Penetration: Magic Penetration plays right into Kayle's plan of dealing true damage!
- Greater Glyph of Ability Power: Excellent Ability Power boost here.
- greater seal of replenishment: Kayle's mana is spare in the early-mid game, and these are great as half of a Meki Pendant!
Teleport: A perfect (dare i say indispensable?) pick for Kayle. Her mana starvation and frequent item upgrades make Teleport a lifesaver and accelerator early-game, while late-game it makes her into a turret-eating machine and teamfight master. Amazing.
Flash: There's a really good reason that pro tournament matches always feature 10 Flash. Try it, master it, love it.
It'll save your life.
- Holy Fervor: When deciding how to build a champion, the best place to start is often with their passive. Holy Fervor is a defense-shredding nightmare that is best abused by a hybrid-damage build with a heavy focus on attack speed.
- Reckoning (Q): Insane ratios on this spell's damage as well as a really healthy slow. As if that weren't enough, Reckoning increases the damage that Kayle deals to the target... disturbingly good.
Max it quickly!
- Divine Blessing (W): Mini-ghost and mini-heal on a stick! Can be applied to self and/or allies.
- Righteous Fury (E): This is Kayle. Increases her attack range by 400 to 525 and splashes 20-40% damage. Farming is a piece of cake with Righteous Fury. Take down turrets and champs like you're being paid for it!
- Intervention (R): Invincibility is uber-powerful; see Tryndamere. When used on oneself, tower-diving becomes a cinch and team-fights get extended while the kills pile up. Also indispensable for protecting your Xin Zhao or Brand so that they can deal amazing burst damage and survive the focus.
Take Righteous Fury first for the brilliant farm and potential for first blood. Two levels go to Reckoning afterwards for the initial damage and attack damage bonus. Grab Divine Blessing (mainly for the speed increase) at 4, then proceed to max Reckoning. Grab levels in Righteous Fury and Divine Blessing whenever you feel you need 'em.
You'll adapt the sequence to your playstyle as you continue forwards as Kayle.
: Most Kayle players start with a Doran's Ring, but that's just too cautious and slow for my taste. If you position yourself well, you won't need the 100 health, and careful use of abilities negates the need for Mana Regen. Always remember that Attack Speed is hidden damage, so Righteous Fury will be quite potent at level 1, leading to a lot of early kills. As an additional incentive, taking Dagger first means that you're only 500 gold from Berserker's Greaves!
: Quite simply, Malady shreds your foes. It gives you Ability Power, on-hit magic damage, amazing Attack Speed, and teams up with Holy Fervor for cruel beats. No item is better for Kayle, so it comes first.
: Kayle really needs some heft after Malady, and Phage has everything you want.
: Life Steal is phenomenal at this point in the build!
: After Vampiric Scepter, boost Kayle's Attack Damage again with The Brutalizer. The Cooldown Reduction lets you pile on the heat with Righteous Fury.
: No one escapes you anymore, and your health is phenomenal!
: The large Attack Damage boost lets Kayle be a factor without Righteous Fury up! In addition, Kayle excels at decimating minion waves, which will build Damage and Life Steal stacks like no one's business :D
: Kayle's Magic Resist leaves something to be desired, and Force of Nature offers significant Health Regen as well for a final item.
: If you're taking mainly physical damage, then go with this bad boy for the tank-pwnage! It's a serious beating.
Lane with a champion who has a stun for best results: Amumu, Pantheon, and Sion are excellent partners! Kayle is also quite good at nurturing AD carries and getting them fed.
Your primary goal is to farm 500-600 gold for Berserker's Greaves and 1-2 Health Potion as fast as possible! Use Teleport if your lane partner needs you back pronto. If they're aggressive and harassing well, you can go for an early kill together with Reckoning followed by Righteous Fury. Otherwise, just sit back, relax, and farm.
Once you have Malady, you're one scary angel. With the help of Phage, you can get some really improbable kills. Use Intervention as often as possible. Push turrets like mad and win team fights. Farm hard for The Bloodthirster!
Once your build is complete, you're a monster. Hand-pick a final item or two that will devastate the most powerful members of the opposing team and go to town. Your kill-scores will vary, but victory is quite likely.
Kayle is a beautifully multifaceted champion who can support her team like a boss and deal damage like a Master Yi or Xin Zhao! She can carry entire games and act as the field general of your team.
Severely underestimated; but certainly not after the battle ;)
Now get out there and drop some jaws!