Build Guide by Xiron
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
We recommend you take a look at this author's other builds.
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Actually I am going to change nearly everything.
There is a German version of this Guide as well.
Es gibt auch eine deutsche Version von diesem Guide.
Welcome to my very first Guide.
I'm playing Nocturne since a few weeks now and I can say that he is a very good assassin.
In the Late-Game you can easily kill two enemy Champs wthout the help of a teammate.
- Your critical damage is very high (even without Runes)
- It's pretty easy to escape or to hunt down your enemys using your Q-Skill
- From level 12 it's easy to Jungle (you may not try to Jungle until you're level 10)
- At the beginning you are very vulnerable when you're walking wthout any teammates
- It needs skill and/or luck to kill enemys before you bought your first Phantom Dancer
- Your armor is low
- In the first minutes your Mana is low, too.
I want to remember you to rate and comment this Guide. I hope it'll help you playing as Nocturne. But please!
Here you can see all the things I added to the Build.
- 2011-05-07: Created the Guide.
- 2011-05-08: Added "Skill Sequence" overview.
- 2011-05-10: Added icons and images to the Guide.
- 2011-05-11: Replaced Teleport with Ghost and edited "Summoner Spells".
- 2011-05-12: Added more pictures.
- 2011-05-12: Added updates for Nocturne since Patch v188.8.131.52.
- 2011-05-17: Added some game results.
- 2011-05-19: Removed Doran's Shield from the Items.
- 2011-05-24: Added Doran's Shield to the Itempurchases.
- 2011-05-25: Changed Runes and Mastery Trees.
- 2011-05-27: Added "Try Before Rating"-Image.
- 2011-05-28: Added more game results.
- 2011-05-30: Changed Itempurchase and Summoner Spells, edited the written Guide and changed pictures.
- 2011-05-31: Added "Nocturne Overview" comprising a desciption, a skill overview and a skin overview and edited "Summoner Spells" (added an overview about recommended and "no go"- Summonder Spells).
- 2011-06-01: Changed Item Purchases.
- 2011-06-02: Changed Rune, Item Build and edited Summoner Spells.
There is a line between each Patch.
- League of Legends 184.108.40.206
- League of Legends 220.127.116.11
- League of Legends 18.104.22.168
- League of Legends 22.214.171.124
- League of Legends 126.96.36.199
- Added Nocturne to League of Legends
- Duskbringer: Nocturne throws a shadow blade which deals damage, leaves a Dusk Trail, and causes champions to leave a Dusk Trail. While on the trail, Nocturne ignores unit collision and has increased Movement Speed and Attack Damage.
- Shroud of Darkness: Nocturne empowers his blades, passively gaining attack speed. Activating Shroud of Darkness allows Nocturne to fade into the shadows, creating a magical barrier which blocks a single enemy spell and doubles his passive attack speed if successful.
- Unspeakable Horror: Nocturne plants a nightmare into his target's mind, dealing damage each second and fearing the target if they do not get out of range by the end of the duration.
Paranoia (Ultimate): Nocturne reduces the sight radius of all enemy champions and removes their ally vision in the process. He can then launch himself at a nearby enemy champion.
- Umbra Blades (Passive): Every 10 seconds, Nocturne's next attack strikes surrounding enemies for physical damage and heals himself for each target hit.
Nocturne's physical attacks reduce this cooldown by 1 second.
- Made Shroud of Darkness shield brighter and easier to see.
- Duskbringer attack damage bonus reduced to 15/25/35/45/55 from 20/30/40/50/60.
- Unspeakable Horror Cast range reduced to 475 from 500 and leash range reduced to 550 from 600.
- Fixed a bug where breaking the leash near the end would still trigger the fear.
- Fixed a bug where adding a spell shield like Banshee's Veil while Unspeakable Horror was on you would block the fear effect.
- Paranoia range reduced to 2000/2750/3500 from 2500/3250/4000.
- Fixed a bug where Paranoia would follow targets over variable amounts of distance depending on spell rank.
- Duskbringer damage reduced to 60/105/150/195/240 from 60/110/160/210/260.
- Paranoia: Damage reduced to 150/250/350 from 150/300/450.
- Fixed a bug where Paranoia caused a hitch the first time it was used.
Before Nocturne, people believed that dreams were figments of their imagination, meaningless images that flashed through the mind when one slept. This belief was put to the test when a rash of sleep-related incidents started afflicting summoners of the League. Some would wake up screaming, terrified and beyond consolation. Some could not fall asleep, slowly going mad as the nights ticked by. Some simply never woke up. Physicians were baffled until a Field Architect happened to pass out next to a nexus on Twisted Treeline. Witnesses said he cried out once and then stopped breathing. Immediately after, magical energy arced out from the nexus, and Nocturne appeared.
Nocturne did not take his introduction to this world kindly. He slaughtered everything he could find before summoners were able to magically confine him. After a period of intense study, League experts divined that Nocturne hunted summoners in their sleep, attacking them in a place where their magic was useless. This seemed to be his only purpose. The families of the victims demanded justice, but League officials were concerned that death might only return Nocturne to the place from which he came. They bound him to a nexus fragment, trapping him in the physical world. As punishment for his crimes, they allowed summoners to call upon Nocturne in the League matches, bending his will to the summoners he hates and creating his own personal nightmare. League scholars don't know whether he truly came from the plane of dreams, or whether there are any more like him. Some theorize that the summoning act affected summoners' subconscious minds, luring Nocturne to them in their sleep. Perhaps the most disturbing theory is that Nocturne is a person's nightmare come to life. If this is true, they wonder, who is the dreamer?
''The darkness is closing in...it's pitch black now...but I can still see him...''
- Kelvin Ma, patient #4236
Nocturne throws a shadow blade that deals damage, leaves a Dusk Trail, and causes champions to leave a Dusk Trail. While on the trail, Nocturne ignores unit collision and has increased Movement Speed and Attack Damage.
Nocturne throws a shadow blade that deals 60/105/150/195/240 (+) physical damage and leaves a Dusk Trail for 5/5/5/5/5 seconds. Enemy champions hit also leave a Dusk Trail.
While on the trail, Nocturne ignores unit collision and gains 15/20/25/30/35% Movement Speed and 15/25/35/45/55 Attack Damage.
Shroud of Darkness (W-Skill)
Nocturne empowers his blades, passively gaining attack speed. Activating Shroud of Darkness allows Nocturne to fade into the shadows, creating a magical barrier which blocks a single enemy spell and doubles his passive attack speed if successful.
Passive: Nocturne has 20/25/30/35/40% bonus Attack Speed.
Active: Nocturne creates a magical barrier for 2 seconds, which blocks the next enemy ability.
If an ability is blocked by the shield, Nocturne's passive Attack Speed bonus doubles for 5 seconds.
Unspeakable Horror (E-Skill)
Nocturne plants a nightmare into his target's mind, dealing damage each second and fearing the target if they do not get out of range by the end of the duration.
Nocturne plants a nightmare into his target's mind, dealing 50/100/150/200/250 (+1) magic damage over 2 seconds. If Nocturne stays within range of the target for the full duration, the target becomes feared for 1/1.25/1.5/1.75/2 second(s).
Nocturne reduces the sight radius of all enemy champions and removes their ally vision in the process. He can then launch himself at a nearby enemy champion.
Nocturne reduces the sight radius of all enemy champions and removes their ally vision for 4 seconds.
While Paranoia is active, Nocturne can launch himself at an enemy champion, dealing 150/250/350 (+) physical damage.
Umbra Blades (Passive)
Every 10 seconds, Nocturne's next attack strikes surrounding enemies for 120% physical damage and heals himself for 15/20/25 per target hit.
Nocturne's basic attacks reduce this cooldown by 1 second.
- Using Paranoia at a critical moment is well worth it even if you cannot use the dash.
- Duskbringer isn't only an offensive ability. It can be used to close distance out of combat or escape from certain death.
- Use Shroud of Darkness in tandem with Paranoia's dash. Your opponents may panic and waste a critical disable on your spell shield.
- Void Nocturne - 520 Riot Points
- Frozen Terror Nocturne - 975 Riot Points
Frozen Terror Nocturne
This Item-Build is for 5v5. I wouldn't bet that you will be good with it in a 3v3.
You should try to buy the cheaper Items as well (these Items which makes the Infinity Edge - which is a very expensive Item - for example a little bit cheaper)
Using Berserker's Greaves you are skilling your attack speed which is pretty usefull in the beginning. Also you are faster. During the early game you're loosing HP pretty quick so u're buying one Health Potion.
To get even more attack speed and critical strike you're buying Phantom Dancer.
As you maybe recocnized you have to go back if you are injured. Don't want to do that? Just buy Vampiric Scepter
And whats better than 200% critical strike? Right! 250% cs. Thats why you'll buy Infinity Edge.
There is another problem: Your health is low.
To get rid of that the next Item is The Bloodthirster.
Last but not least you're furnishing Warmog's Armor.
- Berserker's Greaves
- Health Potion
- Phantom Dancer
- Vampiric Scepter
- Infinity Edge
- The Bloodthirster
- Warmog's Armor
Leveling Duskbringer at first brings you some good advatages. One of them is that u are able to annoy your enemys by simply attacking them from time to time. And it's much easier to play against guys who are shirty.
Also it's easy to run away.
From level two you're able to stun the enemys. This makes it easy to kill them. But make sure that you wait untill your victim is attacking a tower (if you are alone). Otherwise Gank them. They'll call you a noob but hey! You killed 'em.
So stun them using Unspeakable Horror and deal some extra damage with your Duskbringer.
But there is another way you could level Nocturne:
Instead of leveling Unspeakable Horror as second skill try Shroud of Darkness.
Don't try to attack enemy Champs too soon. Without help you'll die. Trust me.
So basicly it's
Some guys love to use Teleport. Well it is a usefull Summoner Spell but Nocturnes "walking" speed (actually he's not walking but nevermind) is fast enough.
Thats why I'm prefering Ghost and Ignite.
Using Ghost it's pretty easy to hunt down your enemys combining it with your Duskbringer and Unspeakable Horror. Also it's easier to run away if you need to.
But you could use Flash, as well.
It gives you an important advantage adverse players runnig away and using Heal for example.
Ignite is usefull. If you attack a Champion and he is killing you he's running away with low life. Maybe a teammate will kill him.
But if you use Ignite he will die, even if he kills you and runs away with low life.
Recommendable Summoner Spells:
You're able to combine them how you want to. But make sure to use at least Ghost or Flash to run away.
Better don't use
Summoner Spell | (Why)
Clairvoyance | (You're Mana Regeneration is high enough. If it's empety just go back to base)
Clarity | (Needless for Nocturne.)
Cleanse | (Whereat this one isn't a complete "NO GO".)
Fortify | (Needless for Nocturne.)
Promote | (Needless for Nocturne.)
Rally | (Needless for Nocturne.)
Revive | (Not needed.)
Smite | (This is not a jungeling guide.)
Teleport | ((Needless for Nocturne.)
The only thing that seems important to say at this point is, that you could use
But it's a little bit better not to run faster, don't you think so?
If you're using Exhaust it's bright that u're using Cripple. Also, using Ignite you may use Burning Embers .
Don't buy Runes before you're level 20.
From level 20 you can buy Greater Runes which are a little bit more expensive but it's worth. If Nocturne is "your hero" it's an easy job to save your IP untill you're level 20.
It's good to buy Greater Mark of Attack Speed 6 times. A high Attack Speed is a big advantage. Especially at the beginning.
Now you're buying Greater Mark of Desolation.
Following you're buying Greater Seal of Attack Damage.
To recieve even MORE critical damage continue buying Greater Glyph of Critical Chance.
And now buy Greater Quintessence of Attack Speed and Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage
A short overview:
- Greater Mark of Attack Speed 6x
- Greater Mark of Attack Damage 3x
- Greater Seal of Attack Damage 9x
- Greater Glyph of Critical Chance 9x
- Greater Quintessence of Attack Speed 1x
- Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage 2x
Team Work and Tactics
Playing against Bots it's an easy Job to rescue your teammates just by using your Ulti ( Paranoia). Also you can chase them of your towers.
Versus RL-Players it's a little bit more complicated.
At lower levels I'm prefering enemy Champs who are walking alone. Just activate Paranoia.
This assert that no one can help your victim.
Many Guides are telling you to prefer the middle line.
I never did that so I can't tell you if it's better to do so.
At a lower level (normally from 1 to 5) you shouldn't try to attack enemys alone.
Also you should try to use Duskbringer as often as possible. But pay attention to your Mana.
Attacking without Paranoia (and being alone) could be a little bit dangerous at lower levels.
But if you realy want to do so use your E-Skill at first. After this Shroud of Darkness and then Duskbringer.
From Level 6 it's usefull to attack using
R > E > W > Q
Paranoia > Unspeakable Horror > Shroud of Darkness > Duskbringer
But you also can use E > W > Q and hunt down your victim using your R-Skill.
Unspeakable Horror > Shroud of Darkness > Duskbringer > Paranoia
During the Late Game you're a killer. You are able to kill 2 enemy Champs (using your Healing Ability Heal). But you need to stay patience. If they're stunning you it could be hard to stay alive. Maybe you are able to escape using Duskbringer.
Another big point is the Jungeling.
I don't play Nocturne as a big Jungler. But when I'm walking along the street and I see some Jungle-Monsters it's easy to kill them.
But you realy should wait until level 10 (at least!).
Here you can see some game results. I want to remember that I am from Germany and because of that my Game is German.
Gewonnen means Victory.
The highlited game was a 1on1 against a friend.
At first I died a couple if times.
But he gave up before I was able to get a positive K/D.
Also I want to say that it was pretty hard to get more kills because the enemy team gave up. Sadly...
More Game Results are comming soon!
I hope I can help you owning your enemys with my little Guide. I got inspired from this Guide and a friend.
Also I want to say that I am from Germany. So there could be some weird sentences. Please don't rape my English this hard. ;-)
And also make sure to use this Guide before rating it. And while you're at it leave a comment!
Suggestion are always welcome.