Nunu Build Guide by Myrcul
Not Updated For Current Season
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Freljord is an unforgiving land covered in snow and ice. Travel, especially in the winter, can be very dangerous. The elements often claim even those who have spent their entire lives there. The boy known as Nunu is defined by such tragedy. One day when he was a young child, Nunu rode on his father's back as they returned from a trapping expedition in the mountains. An unexpected blizzard came upon them, forcing them to seek refuge in a cave. The tempest was the worst in countless years, and it lasted for days. Nunu's father left to find food, but he never returned.
The blizzard eventually cleared, and the young child lay dying on the mountainside. Fortunately for Nunu, this was the land of the yetis, who are powerful beasts with whom Nunu's father had secured an arrangement for safe passage. A young yeti boy named Willump found Nunu and brought him home. From then on Nunu was raised by the yetis, whose culture remains a mystery to most Runeterrans. The boy quickly discovered that the seemingly savage creatures were in fact deeply spiritual beings living in harmony with their environment. They are very territorial and unafraid of defending themselves if called upon to do so. The yetis have watched the rest of Valoran, and they can smell the change on the wind. When the League of Legends was formed, the yetis knew they needed a champion. Riding his brother Willump, Nunu became that champion. Those who follow the League know that the boy is mature beyond his years, but, while he appears human, his mind is that of his adoptive kin.
"If this is him now, imagine what Nunu will be like when he grows up!"
Nunu can be built as either ability power, tank or a DPS. It is recommended to not have mix of all three.
By combining a caster Nunu with a spell vamp item like Will of the Ancients Nunu can become impressively resilient, healing over a hundred hp from a single Ice Blast and potentially fully healing with Absolute Zero if enough enemies are caught in its area of effect.
Spell Vamp also works quite effectively with Consume, getting the heal from Consume and the spell vamp heal for doing 500-900 true damage to the minion.
With defensive masteries, runes and a Rod of Ages Nunu can be a teams tank without any tank items thanks to his high hp gain.
Although an ability power Nunu's Absolute Zero skill can be devastating for the enemy team, Nunu needs only to be silenced, stunned, etc. for the spell to be canceled. If this happens the skill will be put on its full cooldown having only done a small fraction of its damage. A Banshee's Veil is a must have item to avoid this. With Banshee's Veil, Nunu will have to be interrupted twice in order for his ultimate to be canceled.
VISIONARY - This is a great passive because it will allow you to harrass and stay in your lane for longer periods of time. Use this spell with your consume, ice blast and absolute zero; your main mana drainers. Use Blood Boil after visionary proc's if you don't already have it on.
CONSUME - This is your KEY TO SURVIVAL you are going to max this as soon as you can whenever your not maxing ICE BLAST or ABSOLUTE ZERO. The reason you want to get this before Blood Boil is because you are going to want to stay alive and stay in your lane longer than just running a little bit faster. It will also help you primarily with jungling. If you max this sooner rather than later you can get the upper hand on the competition by consuming Golem and Lizard and gaining those very important buffs as well as getting more gold which is always good.
BLOOD BOIL - Once you get Blood Boil you need to use it every 15 seconds that you can. This spell will help you chase and get away from enemies. This is needed later because you are going to want more survivability from CONSUME other than to be a little bit faster.
ICE BLAST - Key nuke and slow spell. Try to harass champions with this as soon as you get it once you proc your visionary.
ABSOLUTE ZERO - This is a spell that is going to hit hard during mid and late game. Use it wisely, try using it in the bushes and in big team fights. Or the teleport + absolute zero = +1 Kill and 2 stacks. Although you must be careful because your ultimate can be stopped by any stun, taunt, throw and push. So be aware of who you cast it on or the people you cast it near.
* Consume allows Nunu to stay in a lane against ranged opponents, especially against Heimerdinger's turrets which can be destroyed with a single Consume. It also allows Nunu to be a very effective jungler due to its healing and true damage.
o You can use Consume to heal yourself if a fight is not going your way, or to heal some Health if you are trying to escape from an enemy. It can often help you avoid death if you Consume a unit while retreating.
* Due to the high slow and long duration of the slow from Ice Blast, it is often a good idea to get at least one rank early game to help get kills.
* You can choose to interrupt Absolute Zero early for partial damage if an opponent is about to run out of range.
* Ice Blast before Absolute Zero with a Rylai's Crystal Scepter or summoner skill Exhaust can lead to a very devastating combo.
* Absolute Zero can be canceled by crowd control such as a stun/silence/taunt/etc. Be wary of the enemy champions around you.
* Absolute Zero has one of the largest ability power ratios in the game (x2.5) - thus making him a very sturdy caster. Stacking up on ability power will greatly increase its damage. Use him in collaboration with Anivia to dominate AoE damage in a lane.
* Utilizing Visionary can enable Nunu to constantly harass with Ice Blast and heal with Consume. Blood Boil can also be utilized to trigger Visionary more often, especially if laning with a friendly ranged hero like Ashe or Tristana.
* Nunu's Absolute Zero is most effective when it is used alongside other ultimates such as Curse of the Sad Mummy, Grand Skyfall and Idol Of Durand.
* Consume allows Nunu to be an effective jungler at level 1.