Riven Build Guide by Aren
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Hello Moba Readers! I'm Aren and this is my First ever MobaFire guide! And I am here to introduce to you the Princess of Solo Top, Riven! (In my opinion! ;-D) Riven is one of the best Solo Top Laners in the entire League of Legends Game despite the fact she does not have any sustain without items such as The Bloodthirster or Wriggle's Lantern.
Having A numerous amount of experience with Riven, I have come out with a Guide to help first time Rivens or if you were AFK during Champ Select and Randomly Selected her! XD
~MAGNIFICENT PROS & MALEVOLENT CONS~
- MOBILITY MOBILITY MOBILITY and MORE MOBILITY with Valor and Broken Wings combo!
- AWESOMELY AWESOME HARASS with Ki Burst and Broken Wings!
- Great Early Game Strength that Scales Tremendously in Late Game and with Full Items!
- Passive Runic Blade Makes Riven 10 TIMES stronger if you utilize her Combo/Combos Correctly! >8D
- Riven's Ultimate Blade of the Exile makes her attack range LONGER, makes her attacks STRONGER, and can finish Enemies off in a wink!
- NO MANA!!! >8D
- Riven has No Early Game SUSTAIN, leaving her a tiny bit weaker in early 1v1 battles.
- Heavily Depends on Cooldowns.
- Countered by Crowd Controls such as Stuns, Snares, or Suppresses like Ryze Rune Prison or Galio Idol of Durand.
PURE AND SIMPLE:
- I take Summoner's Wrath to Cripple my enemy much harder, making getting kills a breeze!
- I Also take 3 Points in Brute Force to slightly increase Riven's early game damage and to make Farming a tiny bit Easier.
- Next, I take 4 Points in Alacrity to increase Riven's rather slow-ish attack speed and to Also make Farming a bit easier.
- Finally, I get Weapon Expertise to help Riven's insane damage rip through the Enemy's armor! ;)
- To start with I get 3 POINTS in Hardiness and 2 POINTS in Resistance so "Maximize" early game damage absorbing protection!
- Then get 4 POINTS in Durability 1 POINT in Veteran's Scars and 2 POINTS in Indomitable to make Riven more resilient to incoming damage!
- Next, I get 3 POINTS in both Initiator and Honor Guard because as the Melee DPS of the team, Riven will have to be able to initiate into team fights quickly and potently to Possibly take the enemy team by surprise and get YOUR team an ACE!
- Enlightenment MIGHT be the MOST important Mastery to Riven yet, because Riven strongly depends on cooldowns to deal MASSIVE damage!
- Finally, I finish of the Mastery Page with Juggernaut . Juggernaut is practically ARMOR and 10% Tenacity in aNUTSHELL!!
RUNES FOR RIVEN:
~VIABLE AND NON-VIABLE SUMMONER SPELLS~
- -Exhaust has many uses for Riven in Solo Top. As Riven, Exhaust Can help you secure kills from escaping targets, Allow you to safely escape ganking enemies with HUGE gap closers such as Fizz with playful/trickster, Ahri with her Spirit Rush, or Rumble with his scrap sheild!
- - Teleport is very commonly used for Solo Tops. Teleport can help you get back into lane quicker, protect turrets by hastily Teleporting to them, or even surprise your opponent in Solo Top by placing Wards in VERY sneaky places! ;-D
- -Flash is OK on Riven because she literally has FOUR "Flashes" already built into her with Valor and Broken Wings. The only time you should need flash is if you ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY KNOW that the other team has KILLER GAP CLOSERS!
- -Smite is only if you are going to JUNGLE with Riven!
- -Truthfully i have never tried Ignite in Solo Top using Riven because I believe that it's better to play more cautious in Solo Top lane because of unsuspecting ganks from the enemy jungler or AP Mid,(IF THERE ARE NO WARDS PLANTED) but if YOU feel comfortable with your ability, GO AHEAD! :)
- -Ghost on Riven in my OPINION, is useless because her Mobility allows her to escape extremely well, but then again, It's player preference.
- -Cleanse is to only be used if ALL YOU SEE ON THE ENEMY TEAM IS CROWD CONTROL, CROWD CONTROL, CROWD CONTROL, CROWD CONTROL!
- -RIVEN HAS NO MANA!
- - Revive is COMPLETELY USELESS on Riven!
- -HAHAHAHAHAHA! You're kidding right?
- - Surge is POOPIE compared to other Summoner Spells...
- - Heal is only needed if you are STRICTLY A BEGINNING RIVEN WHO DOESNT KNOW HOW TO SUSTAIN THEMSELF.
~SKILL SEQUENCE AND EXPLANATION~
PASSIVE- Runic Blade
-Riven's abilities charge her blade, causing her to do 5 / 7 / 9 / 11 / 13 / 15 (+0.5 per bonus attack damage) bonus physical damage on her next autoattack. Riven can store up to 3 charges, and will only expend one at a time.
Q ABILITY- Broken Wings
-Riven steps forward and lashes out in a series of powerful sword slashes that will damage all enemies nearby. This ability can be activated a second time within 4 seconds, and a third time within 4 seconds of that. On the third activation she will also knock nearby enemies back and have a larger radius of damage. All three strikes will deal the same amount of damage.
W ABILITY- Ki Burst
-Riven deals physical damage and stuns nearby enemies for 0.75 seconds.
E ABILITY- Valor
-Riven dashes towards the cursor and gains a shield for up to 2.5 seconds.
R ABILITY:THE ULTIMATE- Blade of the Exile
-Riven's sword reforms, gaining 20% bonus attack damage, extended range on her damaging abilities and autoattacks for 15 seconds. She is also granted the ability to use Wind Slash once for the duration.
Wind Slash- The Second Part of Riven's Ultimate, Riven can activate the ability to emit a shockwave in a long cone in front of her that deals physical damage to all units hit based on their missing health.
~CRAZY CORE ITEMS~