Udyr Build Guide by Jokertech
Not Updated For Current Season
AP Offtank Jungle Build
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Postponed For Further Research
After a bit of writing I have decided that I'd like to play a 100 game streak for some extra clarity on Udyr before I continue writing a guide on him and his gameplay mechanics. However the build posted is still accurate and the one I utilize in game. I'll have the Items Section of the guide up soon to help explain my choices for items and how then benefit Udyr.
Hi everyone I'm Jokertech and would like to share with you my 3rd guide ever. I'll be covering Udyr in the jungle, with runes, masteries, item build, and ganking. This will also help though who are looking to improve their mid to late game potential through some extra thinking in those stages.
- High AoE Burst with Phoenix Stance
- Great Initiation with Bear Stance
- Increased durability with Turtle Stance
- Performs multiple roles simultaneously in team fights
- Kited Easily (without Ghost)
- Mana Dependent (if not itemized correctly, Spirit of the Elder Lizard)
- Weak in lane
- Needs the correct itemization to perform well in late game
For runes on Phoenix Stance Udyr I take:
Greater Quintessence of Movement Speed
3 x Quint of Movement Speed
- This allows Udyr to more easily move through jungle and clear faster. As well as decrease the possibility of him being kited in combat, and in turn increasing his ganking potential.
Greater Mark of Attack Speed
9 x Mark of Attack Speed
- With Attack Speed marks, Udyr's Phoenix stance 3rd strike proc is triggered more often in combat. Thus leading to quicker Jungle clears, as well as more frequent AoE damage in team fights.
Greater Seal of Armor
9 x Seal of Armor
- The Seal of Armor gives us extra durability most noticeably in jungle decreasing the amount of damage taken by mobs. However the extra armor can also be noticed against duelists in the lane.
Greater Glyph of Scaling Cooldown Reduction
9 x Glyph of Scaling CD Reduction
- Often considered and odd choice. These runes can significantly boost cast rates of all skills. Increasing AoE damage done in Phoenix stance by pumping out more AoE effects. Heavily impacting chasing reducing the times between bear rushes. And allowing the use of turtle stance more often shielding away tons of possible damage.
The items chosen for Udyr in this guide are based around his Phoenix stance and maximizing Durability with the potential for AoE burst.
I recommend rushing for Spirit Stone as it gives Udyr a huge increase in his longevity both in lane and jungle. From there its only natural to continue on to the next tier of this item. For which I choose the Spirit of the Elder Lizard. Not only does is greatly increase your ability to farm and sustain in jungle, but it also adds a DoT to every skill including the AoE burst from Phoenix stance. Some may find it a good time to buy boots in between Spirit Stone and SotEL.
Afterwards I pick up my boots. This is largely dependent on the enemy team and their damage focus, Mercury's Treads for AP, Ninja Tabi for AD. If there is a mix of damage I usually find it appropriate to build Merc Treads for the tenacity alone, which allows us to resist enemy slows and stuns.
Next up it always feels appropriate to get Blade of the Ruined King which adds some attack speed to increase procs of Phoenix stance as well as give some extra survivability with the life steal. Additionally it gives use of the active skill on Blade of the Ruined King to chase and escape from enemies.
Guinsoo's Rageblade is the final item that really puts the icing on the cake for Udyr. With the constant use of his stances and auto attacks keeps the rageblade constantly stacked giving you a huge boost in both attack speed and ability power both empowering your turtle stance shield and phoenix stance damage. Even more helpful is the active proc giving increased life steal as well as spell vamp which works with Phoenix stance's damage.
As for the other two items they are reserved for situational items to counter enemy damage.