Build Guide by Balikon
Not Updated For Current Season
Not Updated For Current Season
Poppy - The Little Blue Menace
For those of you who like to gank, tank or just enjoy ripping someone apart, this is the character for you. I will be discussing her use in lanes and some ganking. I may post a tanking as Poppy later. In this guide, I will be listing her abilities, the items I use on her, and the style of play that I use.
Note: This is my opinion on how she should be played, so some of this is subject to specific situations, but I do try to force the situations when possible.
Abilities and Sequence
Valiant Fighter - Any damage dealt to Poppy that exceeds 10% of her current health is reduced by 50%. This does not reduce damage from structures. (Passive)
Devastating Blow - Poppy crushers her opponent, dealing attack damage plus a flat amount and 8% of her target's max health as bonus damage. The bonus damage cannot exceed a threshold based on rank.
Poppy crushes her opponent, dealing attack damage (+0.6) plus 20/40/60/80/100 and 8% of her target's maximum health as magic damage. The bonus damage dealt cannot exceed 75/150/225/300/375.
Cost: 55/55/55/55/55 Mana
Paragon of Demacia - Passive: Upon being hit or attacking an enemy. Poppy's armor and damage are increased for 5 seconds. This effect can stack 10 times.
Active: Poppy gains max stacks of Paragon of Demacia and her movement speed is increased for 5 seconds.
Passive: Upon being hit or attacking an enemy, Poppy's armor and damage are increased by 1.5/2/2.5/3/3.5 for 5 seconds. This effect can stack 10 times.
Active: Poppy gains max stacks of Paragon of Demacia and her movement speed is increased by 17/19/21/23/25% for 5 secoonds.
Cost: 70/75/80/85/90 Mana
Heroic Charge - Poppy charges at the enemy and carries them further. The initial impact deals a small amount of damage, and if they collide with terrain, her target will take a high amount of damage and be stunned.
Poppy charges at an enemy and carries them for a short distance. The initial impact deals 50/75/100/125/150 (+0.4) magic damage. It they collide with terrain, her target takes 75/125/175/225/275 (+0.4) magic damage and will be stunned for 1.5/1.5/1.5/1.5/1.5 seconds.
Cost: 60/65/70/75/80 Mana
Diplomatic Immunity - Poppy focuses intently on a single target, dealing increased damage to them. Poppy is immune to any damage and abilities from enemies other than her target.
For 6/6/6 seconds, Poppy is immune to any damage and abilities from enemies other than her target. In addition, Poppy's attacks deal 20/30/40% increased damage to the marked target.
Cost: 100/100/100 Mana
The above order is the one I use. I like to get her charge first to help set up a FB in lane. The Blow second, to get some early game damage, and the Stacking buff 3rd for survivability. Focus on building "Q" To get the best early game damage you can. Whenever you have to switch to something else make sure its "W" for more damage, movement speed, and survivability. Always pick your ulti up when its available, and make sure that the "E" is the last thing maxed.
Side Note: Her "E" currently has the ability to stun on invisible terrain, make use of it while you can. I can see a fix incoming on this shortly.
Ignite - Ignite is a damage over time spell that targets a single champion dealing 50 damage plus 20 damage per level over 5 seconds. Ignite ignores enemy Magic Resist, and reduces healing and regeneration by 50%.
Clarity - Restores 160 + 30 x level Mana to your Champion and 50% to nearby allies.
Ignite is used for the extra damage it deals as well as hits healing reduction. Clarity is pretty clear, I am very aggressive with my play style and having clarity allows me to be more so.
Optional: Instead of Clarity if you are a more laid back player, I suggest using EXHAUST.
- Boots of Speed - The additional speed early in the game helps you to stay out of additional damage. Also allows you to get back to your lane quicker.
- Health Potion x2 - I like to be able to take a few extra hits of damage before needing to return to the well. Also allows you to live through some champion damage when ganking.
- Mana Potion - So that you can be aggressive longer.
- Berserker's Greaves - Attack speed is very worthwhile on her, so getting the additional speed comes in handy when you have all your attack damage. Side Note: Mercury's Treads can be substituted if a heavy CC team.
- Vampiric Scepter - Getting the life steal early allows for staying in the lane longer.
- Sheen - Sheen works really well with the damage output she has.
- B.F. Sword x2 - The straight AD makes both of these items worthwhile and they will be used to make bigger items shortly.
- Dagger - For the Black Cleaver.
- Bloodthirster - When you get this item, make sure to go into the jungle frequently to build its stats.
- Black Cleaver - The Armor Pen stacks are nice along with the AD and AS.
- Recurve Bow - More AS towards the Madreds Grasp.
- Madred's Razors - For pushing the lanes easier and for the Grasp.
- Madred's Grasp - Mainly used for going against tanks, but will work against anyone. Side Note: From time to time I replace this item with a Phantom Dancer when the Movement Speed, Crit, and Attack Speed are more beneficial.
- Giant's Belt - HP for the Frozen Mallet.
- Frozen Mallet - HP and Slow.
- Trinity Force - May as well upgrade it if you get this far. More of everything.
During the early game there are a few options you have. You can jungle (not discussed in this guide), you can be a free roaming ganker, or you can be a laner. My preference on Poppy is to just lane with a partner. You can use the bushes in river or on the lane to get some nice set ups. When you use your charge, you will want to make sure that you can get the person into terrain to cause the stun. For the most part, you will be focusing on minions and gaining levels. Avoid attacks the best you can. You are able to tower dive early game as well, but make sure your charge takes you through the tower instead of into terrain, so that you have a means of escape as well.
When you hit level 6 or higher, you can start tower diving more freely. Your ultimate makes you immune to tower damage, and any enemy damage that is not the person you cast it on. This allows you to either A) Throw it on your intended victim and do increased damage to them while in their towers range or elsehere, Or B) Throw it on a champion you are not going to kill to either get some hits on tower, or my favorite, kill his partner in tower range. During Mid game you can also start leaving your lane more often to go to other lanes to help out. Her "W" is a temporary speed increase so that will help you get from place to place quicker.
This is the part where your character should be becoming beastly. By 16, your character should have atleast 3/6 if not 4/6 items. This is where you start annihilating the other team. Use your Ultimate frequently to tower dive or to get triple(+) kills. If you have all of your items and are playing well, you should be able to take out most of the team on your own. Make sure that when you ultimate, that your ulti is placed on the weakest damage dealing character on the opposing team.
This is how I play my Poppy. I hope this guide will be useful to any of you looking to have a good time with The Little Blue Menace. Enjoy and please feel free to leave any comments that might help to better this guide.