Jarvan IV Build Guide by ETH Nirvana
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
Not Updated For Current Season
Jarvan IV Build
Not Updated For Current Season
This is my way of playing Jarvan IV, it works very well for me and I hope you try it (and like it as much as me)It's not the typical gold per five offtank that happens so often on jarven, but with this build you will absorb lots of damage and do a lot of damage as well.
[/i]Thanks to Searz for the awesome guide format! You can find it here.
Mouse-over any items or abilities to see their tooltip.
(for any abbreviations you don't understand)
I have been playing Jarvan since the day he came out and he has become my favorite champion in that time. Jarvan is am amazing champion capable of amazing damage output as well as great surviveability. In my opinion he is the best tanky DPS champion in the game.
I have attempted to play Jarvan in many ways and this is my final product and is the way that I like to play him to be the most helpful to any team.
A great initiator, capable of taking large amounts of damage, as well as a great split pusher with the great attack speed from Madred's Bloodrazor and the passive attack speed bonus from Demacian Standard,Jarvan is a great compliment to any team comp. Jarvan should be taking solo top lane as he needs to farm a lot to complete his build.
I'd love it if you upvoted my build guys :)
While utility masteries are undoubtedly the strongest choice for almost any champion I have found that this is not the case with Jarvan, I have tried 0-21-9, 0-9-21, 15-0-15, and many other combinations but I have always found that Jarvan is most suited to a 21-9-0 or a 21-0-9 mastery set up. This is because the way to take the least amount of damage is to be threatening enough that enemy champions will be afraid to come too close, hence the 21 in offence.
Where you put the other 9 points is up to you, I use both depending on the circumstances. 9 in defensive is my personal favorite but if you plan on taking a summoner spell other than teleport I would reccomend putting 4 points in the awareness mastery for increased experience gain, to keep up with the levels of the other team.
Main rune set
Take Dragon Strike at level 1 for a strong poke that can go through enemies, although try not to use it too much as Jarven has some mana problems early.
Take Damacian standard at level 2 for the knock up capability
Take 1 level in Golden Aegis at level four, both the shield and slow can be very useful with only one level.
Remember to take a level in cataclysm at level 6,11 and 16
Your kit (abilities) and how to use it
- This ability allows Jarvan to do large amounts of damage on his first hit on any enemy, while in laning phase this is how you should be harassing enemy champions, every six seconds, or whenever possible you should be attacking the enemy with an auto-attack.
- Martial Cadance also makes Jarvan a great farmer, make sure you get comfortable with the damage that it adds.
- a very strong poke ability capable of doing very large amounts of damage, try not to use it much before level 3 as it will eat through your mana pool.
- using Dragon Stike in conjunction with Damacian standard is a very good way to get an early kill, if you have gotten your enemy to half health with auto-attacks knocking them up with the Damacian Standard Dragon strike combo can let you hit them enough to either get first blood or to send them back to their inhibitor allowing you to free farm and increasing the level difference. If you can get your jungler to come in at this time it is almost a guaranteed kill.
- Using Golden Aegis can take most of the brunt of a tower hit which can save you after diving under the enemy tower for a kill, since Jarvan is basically an AD nuker tower diving can be very effective, this ability only furthers this.
- with red buff and the slow from Aegis it is almost impossible for enemies to get away from you.
- Make sure you aim Demacian standard slightly in front of fleeing enemies, missing your combo sucks.
- when pushing a tower with teammates dont forget to put down a Standard, the tower will go down that much quicker.
- Your Damacian Standard Dragon Strike combo can also let you jump over almost all walls, making a getaway from dangerous situations, if you think you may need to run quickly refrain from using either of these abilities.
- Stop people from running in style, but make sure any blink moves they have are used up, otherwise prepare for the disappointment of your enemy getting away with you stuck behind. remember to press R again to get rid of the wall if this is the case.
- With Cataclysm, your passive and a Dragon strike you are able to do massive amounts of damage to enemy champions even nuking them down from half health, dont be afraid to jump under their tower with this combo to kill low health enemies, remebering to remove cataclysm and use Aegis once you have jumped in.
- Low health running enemies can be caught up to using the dash from Damacian Standard and Dragon strike, which will allow you to get in range for Cataclysm.
- Just make sure you dont trap low health teammates inside Cataclysm they won't appreciate it.
Explain why these items are a necessity in almost every match you play.
Farm, Farm, Farm. This is the most important thing you can do with any champion, you should be able to farm ridiculously well as soon as you get your Madred's Razor.
Jarvan is an amazing initiator, try to knock as many people up with your Demacian Standard Dragon Strike combo, and as soon as you have done that pop your Golden Aegis to absorb some damage and slow everyone around you, this should give your team a chance to jump in and start dishing out damage. After you have jumped in, exhaust their AD carry and quickly take them out, after that focus the next biggest source of damage. with my build you can be capable of getting penta-kills, as long as you have been farming well.
Thanks for reading my guide, I hope this has given you an insight on how to play a better Jarvan.