Veigar Build Guide by DASBOSSANOVA
Not Updated For Current Season
Not Updated For Current Season
Hi. My summoner name is DassBossaNova and I play alot of Veigar. He's by far my favourite Champ and in my opinion is far superior mid-late game over any other AP based champ in LoL. If played right early game (herein lies the biggest challenge), killing almost any opponent in a matter of about 1 second is simply too easy. I have played well over 200 matches both normal and ranked with Veigar and this guide should give you (the reader) insight into a how successful Veigar is played, and also how to 'maximize' your AP. You will perhaps notice though that the Runes and Masteries are very, utility based. This is because utility is more valuable in almost ALL situations over per say a little extra bang.
RED TEXT MEANS SOMETHING NEGATIVE
WHITE TEXT MEANS SOMETHING IMPORTANT
!!THIS IS A GUIDE IN PROGRESS!!
-I WILL BE ADDING NEW THINGS SOON (VIDEOS/ SCREEN SHOTS)
-I'm getting a new comp soon and will be doing recording on that.
Pros / Cons
- Great Mana Regen at all stages of game ( Equilibrium).
- Taking mid gives free farming.
- Event Horizon is one of the BEST stuns in the game if mastered.
- MASSIVE AP gain at all the stages of the game (Passive on Baleful Strike).
- Counters both Health Stacking and AP champs with Deathfire Grasp and Primordial Burst.
- Dark Matter can hit lots of people all caught in Event Horizon (Great damage in Team fights).
- Can Murder whoever he pleases late game.
- Learning Curb is steep.
- Takes practice to unleash all nukes in perfect order and Synchronization.
- Starts with less than 500 hp.
- Has low base armor.
- People who aren't naturally conservative with spells WILL have Mana problems.
- Long Cooldowns on Deathfire Grasp (60), Primordial Burst (90 at lvl 3), Event Horizon (16 at lvl 5).
- Standard on all AP based Champions, simply the best option.
- Gives good mana regen that become very handy in higher levels and may also negate the need to buy many 'mana regen' items such as ( Tear of the Goddess)
Side Note - NEVER EVER BUY Tear of the Goddess. It's simply a waste of space and gives significantly LESS late game AP. Why else would Blue Buff exist?
- Ranged Champs DO NOT get Magic Resistance per lvl. So when you're midding Veigar against LeBlanc or Morgana or Annie and they hit lvl 6. Get ready to walk the dinosaur unless you have these bad boys.
- Living life in the fast lane is personal preference. Why? Because with Greater Quintessence of Movement Speed and Quickness combined, 392 movement speed with just Boots of Speed makes it possible to be faster than your opponent, always get that last Baleful Strike in, always be just out of reach of that annoying Siphon of Destruction, and simply put, BEING FASTER IS BETTER.
- People want better cooldowns. I say just make sure by the time you're last ability is on CD that whoever you've used them on is long gone.
- 15 extra AP won't get you kills, it may help, but what it comes down to is who gets disabled first and dominated.
SIDE NOTE - Don't blame fudging a kill on not having enough AP, either you didn't do the math necessary to ensure a kill or the execution of your nukes were wrong (I'll explain execution later on).
9/0/21 Greatly Benefits Veigar.
- 9 in the Offesive Tree is to achieve Archaic Knowledge .
- Improved Teleport & Flash with Spatial Accuracy & Blink of an Eye .
- Awareness is nice to have.
- More mana regen with Perseverence & Meditation
- Keep Blue Buff for 30% longer with Utility Mastery .
- Intelligence & Presence of the Master = good CDR
- I shouldn't need to explain Quickness
- Veigar needs Flash. Whether it's avoiding ganks, dropping a surprise Event Horizon on your laning opponent or obtaining range to finish an enemy. Best spell in the game as the possibilities are endless.
- Second best summoner spell in the game. Allows quick 'pit stops' in the laning phase of the game; meaning the player can return to tower before it is pushed. Allows for surprise ganks (Teleporting to friendly wards in different lanes). You can be anywhere; considering Veigar is all about timing, this is pretty ****ing useful if not key. Also allows Backdooring late game. By taking Teleport I net myself MUCH more kills as people don't expect the things that are possible when you take Teleport.
- Taking ghost on Veigar or any other Mage is simply preference. When playing Veigar, all you need to get kills is to hit someone with Event Horizon and have enough Mana to expend all spells on them.
- See Equilibrium, Meki Pendant & Blue Buff.
- Not needed. Just calculate your damage output, total magic pen, & target enemy's Magic Resistance. Part of getting kills with Veigar is making these 'on the spot' decisions of whether to engage or not; experience makes this easier.
If you went for Meki Pendant as starter, priority is to get at least Boots of Speed & Kage's Lucky Pick after the first B, if not a Fiendish Codex as well.
By 20 minutes in to the game, my IDEAL build would look like this:
- + + + X Amount of Sight Ward.
Mid-game is all about building both a Rabadon's Deathcap & Void Staff.
Need more damage = GET First.
Need more Magic Pen = GET First.
Late-game consists of just attaining and purchasing + + when required.
REASONING FOR ITEM BUILD:
Veigar is not a support, a carry (not that he can't on occasion carry), a tank, or a Mana-*****. He is a NUKER. That is his PURPOSE.
- + are to increase Magic Pen which garuntee's the demise of 'tougher to kill' targets.
- This item is Veigar's HOLY GRAIL, this is the key to his success, it's his fourth nuke in-disguise. I NEVER initiate without this being the FIRST thing to damage my target (although because of the delay on Dark Matter I CAST Dark Matter first).
- - Pretty much the book of the dead from army of darkness. Exactly HOW else do you expect to be rewarded for your WORK? The AP that you gain when you have Mejai's Soulstealer & Lvl 5 Baleful Strike is 13. 13 AP per kill is RIDICULOUS. See a tasty kennen farming top? His soul is literally advertising to YOU. I don't need to explain the potency of this item.
- There is no higher power than invulnerability, and even for 2 seconds, this can make or break your ranked play. See a sneaky Requiem? STASIS. See Enchanted Crystal Arrow or Trueshot Barrage? STASIS. LeBlanc just shot everything at you... STASIS. You understand.
- This is the key to achieving late game AP levels of 950 and upwards depending on Baleful Strike farming and kills.
- Sight Ward Map Awareness = less deaths and more kills = MORE AP for YOU.
Proper Nuking/ Execution Walkthrough
LETS GO OVER ALL NUKES AND THEIR PURPOSES:
- Veigar has 4 nukes, they have many different uses and can be synchronized in deadly combos to net multiple possible kills sometimes even all at once.
- IDEAL COMBO:
- SEE ENEMY - CAST - SET UP - CAST - CAST - IF NECESSARY CAST
- The combo above is the typical combo to 'ENSURE' kills, by using all your nukes in rapid succession (1 SEC).
VERY IMPORTANT SIDE NOTE: FYI if you didn't know this already, inventory slots are Binded to numbers 1-6 on your keyboard, and I find that when I keep Deathfire Grasp in SLOT 2 that it is very easy to cast (press #2). Why slot 2? Because just under 2 is the W key on the keyboard, which just so happens to be Dark Matter. So with these 2 nukes literally right beside eachother on the keyboard nuking just became 100% easier. The only spell i use SMARTCAST on is Dark Matter.
- - - - -
-Farm Baleful Strike
- If tower targets laning opponent make sure to drop Event Horizon to MAXIMIZE tower damage.
- Once Level 5 is attained and Baleful Strike is at Lvl 3, HARASS your laning opponent to half their health, ignoring q farming at lvl 5 (target the opponent).
- At Level 6, if your opponent has not gone back and has half their health, try to get first blood. A well placed Event Horizon & Dark Matter followed by Primordial Burst and lastly Baleful Strike should be more than enough damage. Sometimes even a Flash, + will be enough to kill.
- - - - -
- The new priority after lvl 1 of Primordial Burst is to MAX Dark Matter.
- Deathfire Grasp & Mejai's Soulstealer should be obtained during these levels.
- Have your jungler give you Blue Buff whenever possible.
- Go out and GANK! Build those stacks!
- MAKE PEOPLE FEAR YOU!
- BE JAILBAIT! ^O^
- - - - -
- GET lots of AP
- Obtain Rabadon's Deathcap & Zhonya's Hourglass
- This is late game. YOU ARE DEATH ITSELF! SEE enemy carry! What do? **** THEIR **** UP AT ALL COSTS! That is your job. Make life for your team easy.
- Support Teammates and Team Fights by dropping Event Horizon on enemy team and Landing a JUICY Dark Matter into all of them (Reserve Ult & DFG for 'GARUNTEED KILLS').
- Remember you have Teleport! USE that ****.