Renekton Build Guide by Knightly
Not Updated For Current Season
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Good day, ladies and gentlemen. I'm here with a Summoner's Rift guide for Renekton, the Butcher of the Sands. Renekton is, in my opinion, a fantastic solotop tank. He can stand toe-to-toe with Nasus, who is widely seen as one of the best lategame champions in the game right now. The best thing? He doesn't use mana, so he's hard to dislodge from the lane. Teleport ganks are extremely good on Renekton thanks to Ruthless Predator, but I'll cover that in the rest of the guide.
Basically, the champion spotlight shows how Renekton used to be. Very strong. He's still a really good tank, but he's weaker than he used to be.
Credits to jhoijhoi for the template, which you can find here.
Pros / Cons
+ Can stand toe-to-toe with the strongest late-gamers.
+ Dominus + Sunfire Cape = Fearsome AoE tanking.
+ Hard to ignore.
+ Extremely nice farm.
+ Hard to dislodge from your lane.
+ Some of the best Teleport ganks in the game.
- Long cooldowns early-game.
- If you spam abilities, Reign of Anger is useless.
- Mediocre escape if you don't do damage with Slice and Dice first.
- Needs to get up&close to land his stun.
- Gangplank > Renekton.
- Skins are mediocre in-game.
9/21/0 is the standard tank setup. The 1 point in Summoner's Insight WILL be a waste. 1 sec reduced Teleport cast and 15 seconds reduced Flash cooldown are not worth it. The Utility tree is mildly dissapointing in general, with the new masteries.
The 21 points in defense give you magic res, armor, health regen, movement speed and more health. This makes Renekton a great initiator and tank in general.
- greater quintessence of Desolation: Armor Pen to help you be more of a menace in the lategame.
- greater mark of desolation: The mo' ArPen, the mo' better. (A.K.A.: More ArPen increases your damage lategame. W;e, crocodile definitions are awesome.)
- Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist: Magic Res per level makes you more durable, and it's easier to stay in lanes because of your natural durability to magic damage. Veryverygooooddd.
- greater seal of Defense: Makes you durable against physical attackers late-game, and adds some resilience in the early laning with Cloth Armor or Wriggle's Lantern, depending on how far you are with your build.
Teleport: Basically the required spell if you want to be a good solotop. Allows you to return to lane faster, or get into teamfights when you're too far away, seeing how you'll be a pretty immobile tank early on.
Flash: Flash was the dominant spell in the previous season because of it's utility as an escape or an initiator. It's still a good spell, but the reduced range makes it more of an initiator. Still a great aggressive spell.
Cleanse: Allows you to tank better. You're capable of removing snares, stuns, etc. without having to put money into a Quicksilver Sash. Very situational summonner. Only take when the enemies have a lot of CC.
- Reign of Anger: This is what makes Renekton special. You need to be great at managing your Fury to make sure you get the most DPS and sustain out of your abilities. Enhancement-wise: Cull the Meek > Ruthless Predator > Slice and Dice.
- Cull the Meek (Q): Renekton spins around, damaging enemies around him and heals himself for a percentage of the damage don. I typically max this one first, just because it gives you more tanky sustain, better farm and helpes you to survive elongated 1v1 skirmishes.
- Ruthless Predator (W): A proc/passive that stuns your enemy and hits him twice. Hits thrice amd consumes 50 Fury if you have the right amount of it. A very nice ability that makes 1v1's and Teleport ganks a breeze.
- Slice and Dice (E): A blink that allows you to blink a second time if you deal damage with it. If you have 50 Fury or more, it deals more damage and skewers the armor of the enemy, making them weaker to your physical attacks.
- Dominus (R): Tanking steroid like Fury of the Sands. Works fantastic as a last resort escape or heal, and the additional magical AoE DPS around you synergizes really well with Sunfire Cape.
Cull the Meek will be used as a sustain and an AoE farming tool. This works as an amazing sustaining tool in elongated skirmishes and teamfights, where you're up and close with your enemies.
Ruthless Predator will be used as your ganking tool and stun on carries. This is the ability that makes Renek nearly unbeatable in 1v1s. You will have to use this on AD carries to ensure they can't do any damage. Basically: You're going to act like Nasus: Find a carry, apply slowing debuff into killing them horrendously.
Slice and Dice will be used as an harassment tool in lane. Namely: Slice in, apply Ruthless Predator and pop Cull the Meek, and then Dice out. It's an initiator in team fights, and works quite well as it.
Dominus: Steroid. Extra damage and health. Makes you extremely hard to ignore. I mean, who can ignore a gargantuan, gray croc?
: Basically the reccomended item for tanks. Makes you less vunerable to CC. Could be replaced with a Ninja Tabi, but seeing how dodge is getting removed as a primary stat pretty soon, I'd rather not take items that will be removed/modified soon.
: Extra health. Seeing how Renekton is a great farmer, the amount of health you'll gain from this passive is nannerswanners.
: Armor and Health + a nasty AoE in conjunction with your Dominus. Works very well as a tanking item and can be stacked to increase your AoE tanking capabilities, although I wouldn't reccomend it.
: Health regen, movement speed and HUGE magic res bonus. Extremly useful item as a tank, seeing how it boosts your survivability, your mobility and your survivability against AP carries.
: Health, AD and a slow. A very useful item for any tank, mainly thanks to the health it offers.
- : Armor pen, CDR and AD. A nice item to propel you further into the lategame. The extra ability which increases MS and AS is nice too.
How to act: Flying solo or being a tank.
Cull the Meek and Slice and Dice are usable for all your farming needs. You don't really need to know more, actually. The only thing you need to do is keep hit 'n running whenever you see a gap in their defenses.
You need to soak up alot of damage. If you're not able to suck up all the damage people fling at you, you're doing it wrong. Pop your Dominus as soon as you see your teammates take a little bit too much damage. Always stun their carries and NEVER, EVER forget to be an annoying, on the ball piece of rawr.
This wraps up my Renekton guide for Summoner's Rift. This build turns Renekton into a high DPS movie theater, leather-covered chairs included.
Basically, be an annoying crocodile, and have a lot of fun.
Credits to the amazing, irreplacable jhoijhoi for the template, which you can find here.