Renekton Build Guide by wuski
Not Updated For Current Season
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Build 2:More Tanky
Build 3:More DPS
6/6/2011 - I noticed the stats at the top are wrong, I'm not really sure why. The CDR should be about 40%, his move speed is 320 + 70 + 8% which is 421 not 345.
6/7/2011 - Don't follow the item builds too strictly if they have 4 casters and 1 DPS then you should obviously go for the magic resist before armor
- In Build 1 Renekton can have 320 damage from The Bloothirster.
- In Build 2 Renekton actually has a much higher AD probably around 220 because of Atma's Impaler. And his health gets up to around 4200.
- In Build 3 Renekton can have 340 damage.
This is my first build so please let me know about any constructive criticism you may have.
Renekton is a manaless melee champion who's abilities scale with bonus attack damage and ability power. This is a build that makes a pretty tanky Renekton who can still dish out considerable damage.
arPen = Armor penetration
TBH = The Black Cleaver
MBR = Madred's Blood Razor
CDR = Cool down reduction
CC = Crowd control
IMO = In my opinion
Ult. = Ultimate
AoE = Area of effect
DOT = Damage over time
MR = Magic resist
CtM = Cull the Meek
RP = Ruthless Predator
S&D = Slice and Dice
DPS = Damage per second(a high attack champion)
HP = If you need to know this stop playing this game right now
AP = Ability power
AD = Attack damage
FoN = Force of Nature
Greater Marks of Desolation give you a flat 15 arPen added in with the 15 from Brutalizer and a potential 45 from TBH and 6 more from masteries. Thats 81 arPen in all which can allow you to deal true damage to most squishy champions at level 18.
Greater seals of vitality amount to about 175 hp at level 18 and they help with his overall tankyness.
Greater Glyphs of Focus give a flat ~6% CDR combined with your items, masteries, and quintessences you have about ~40% cool down reduction which is the CDR cap. This allows you to spam you free abilities.
Greater Quintessences of Focus provide a 5% CDR
With the items you buy you are already tanky enough so we can just skip the defensive mastery tree, but if you really want I can't see any harm in doing that, you would be more of a full tank and less of an off-tank.
I always like to put 9 points in the utility tree because it lets me level up faster.
Good hands and Perseverance are both somewhat useless masteries. Good hands takes off like 6 seconds from your respawn time. UNLESS you have a tanky champion who doesn't die much and has huge regeneration from items like FoN + Warmog's + Spirit Visage perseverance is completely useless. On a DPS with maybe 20 hp per 5 3 points in perseverance will get you up to an astonishing 21 hp per 5. On the tank you might get 200 hp per 5 and then perseverance will get you an extra 8 hp per 5. So it's all down to personal preference, they both kinda suck.
Some people think that greed is for noobs but it's more useful than a 15% longer minion buff, especially if you don't jungle much. In the course of a 40 minute game you probably get 240 gold from greed its not much but it certainly helps.
I am explaining Build 1 because that the one I use most.
IMO any good Renekton needs to be at least a little tanked up, otherwise he's just too squishy to fight well.
1. Ionian Boots of Lucidity - Mainly for the cool down, Mercury Treads are also a good choice if the other team is CC heavy, anything else I would not really recommend.
2. Sunfire Cape - A very tanky item which also could be seen as a damage item to. I usually start with the giants belt first. It works well with his Ult. giving you massive AoE DOT.
3. The Brutalizer - Awesome early game damage because of the 15 arPen and still pretty good mid-game because of it's CDR.
4. Force of Nature - Your MR tank item, amazing protection and health regeneration. I'm not sure but I think you can get easily get past 100 hp per 5 with this.
5. The Black Cleaver - Amazing item for Renekton if you use Ruthless Predator with fury you can get all 3 stacks of this on an enemy at once because it applies on hit effect's.
6. Madred's Blood Razor - Amazing for the same reason as TBC, when you use your RP with fury you do 12% of targets max health as magic damage + the damage you usually do with RP.
Also helps with fury gains as it has attack speed.
The last Item... I don't usually get to it but some good candidates are:
(I sell The Brutalizer to make room for this.)
1. Youmuu's Ghost Blade - Go ahead and finish your Brutalizer, has all around stats(not particularly good) and an amazing active for chasing.
2. Frozen Mallet - Not feeling tanky enough?(Yeah right) Or are the enemies always escaping then get this for slowing passive and HP.
3.Phantom Dancer - Makes you much more of a DPS and helps with fury gains and chasing. The critical chance is pretty useless though.
4.The Bloodthirster - Who doesn't like life steal and damage. With Renekton it's really easy to get farmed up.
5. Atma's Impaler, Thornmail - If they have a rapist Yi, Trynamere, Ashe...ect these item can give you some defense and still cause damage.
6. Trinity Force - Why not change your boring old off-tank Renekton into an exciting Trinity-tank Renekton. It has all the stats good on Renekton except mana(I forget why...) and critical chance.
7. Sword of the Occult - Not really a good last item but if your just ********ing a terrible team then go ahead and buy this when ever you want so you can ******** them even harder with a snowball item.
8. Aegis of the Legion - Good all around stats and gives a good team buff.
9. Last Whisper - If there are some annoying tanks you want to kill or if you just want to do some more damage, doesn't really help with squishy targets because you already raped all their armor.
Items that should not be your last:
1. Infinity edge and other critical based items - Too expensive and Renekton is not a critical based champion at all.
2. More boots - The speed increase is only taken form one pair. You know I have seen people with more than one set.
3. Spell vamp, AP, Mana, and multiple items with the same UNIQUE PASSIVE because only one of them effects you.
Fury Explanation - Everytime you auto-attack something you get 5 fury capping at 100 fury. Your abilities are usually free but when you have 50 fury it automatically uses it in your next ability powering it up. Our of combat you steadily lose your fury.
You should put a point in each of the abilities as early as you can I always start with CtM. RP and S&D are interchangeable. Then Max out CtM, RP, and then S&D always putting a point into your Ult. whenever possible.
Cull the Meek is your main farming ability you do a spin and damage all enemies around you, it's also decent for harassing because it has more range then you melee attack. It also heals you for a portion of the damage dealt. With fury you heal for more and do much more damage.
Ruthless Predator is two quick hits that deal damage based on your damage, it also stuns and applies on hit effects. With fury it does much more damage and the stun is longer and it applies on hit effects 3 times instead of 2.
Slice and Dice you dash forward a short distance(slice) if you hit an enemy unit you can do it again(dice). All enemies you pass through get damaged a little. It is a skillshot technically. This is your last ability to max out because it's not as useful IMO its mostly a chase skill. With fury it does more damage and reduces the armor of those he hits.
Dominus his Ult. this whole guide is named after it. Basically it heals you for a lot and turns you into a giant-*** rapist with a hurricane blowing around you doing AoE DOT for 15 seconds, doesn't sound like a lot of time but it's enough for most fights. Can be used when running away and your almost our of health and in team fights because every enemy near you is going to HURT from your Ult. and Sunfire Cape.
I use exhaust so I can chase, run away and usually win 1v.1 fights with anyone but fed champions.
Flash is good for chasing and escaping, might want to save it though because Renekton doesn't very good abilities for escaping. He relies on the fact he might be so tanky chasing enemies wont be able to kill him before he makes it to the turret.
Other good spells:
Ghost - Chasing and running away.
Heal - It's good if you're a beginner.
Teleport - It's ok on any champion if you want more map control and skipping long walks to maximize exp gain.
Cleanse - Renekton is somewhat CC susceptible.
Fortify - It's a really annoying spell for the other team.
Ignite - It can harass and do some damage but loses effectiveness on high hp targets.
Not such great spells:
Smite - Renekton is not a very good jungler and this is not a jungling guide.
Clarity - Amazing spell for Renekton because he is very mana based.
Clairvoyance - It's more of a support spell and not that useful.
Rally - Totally useless and I have never used it or notice anyone else use it.
Why doesn't Renekton use critical hits he's a DPS right?
WRONG. In this build he is an off-tank and because we use reached the maximum 40% CDR we are going to take advantage of that. In a fight I probably use more abilities that normal auto attacks so criticals just aren't as cost effective as straight AD that can be used in his abilities.