Riven Build Guide by Struyk
Not Updated For Current Season
Not Updated For Current Season
Credits to jhoijhoi for the template, which you can find here.
Thanks for all the trolls voting no ( especially those from d2jsp... ) but the best part is that they did not only downvote this guide but also my other guides lol!
Video: COMING SOON ( TODAY! )
Pro's and Con's
CC = Stun and a knock back.
Weak to CC because that stops your Q combo.
HARD to play, probably hardest carry in the game.
Very gold dependent
Only thing I have to say about this is that the -2 damage from minions is pretty usefull for riven as they will be hitting you very often when you harass.
Greater Mark of Lethality
Greater Seal of Armor
Greater Glyph of Magic Resist
Greater Quintessence of Lethality
- Greater Mark of Desolation are mandatory, yes Riven benefits a lot from attack damage but even more from armor penetration.
- Greater Seal of Armor for lane sustainability
- Greater Glyph of Magic Resist against those annoying AP carries later into the game!
- Greater Quintessence of Desolation if you expect your opponent to have like 50 armor, take Greater Quintessence of Strenght if you are sure your opponent has low armor, in which case the marks are enough.
Teleport: To get back to your lane faster ( it's a long walk, you might lose your tower )
Heal: Trick your enemies into thinking they can kill you, AND BAM heal + kill.
Exhaust: Always usefull
Cloth Armor Health Potionx5 or Boots of Speed Health Potionx3
Lane survivability, get Boots of Speed against AP enemies or against enemies like Garen
First trip back:
Wriggle's Lantern Boots of Speed
Everything Riven needs for early game, if your enemy is AP don't build Wriggle's Lantern but Targon's Brace and start with Boots of Speed
Youmuu's Ghostblade Frozen Mallet
Enemies wont be able to escape and you have some great survivability!
Atma's Impaler Guardian Angel randuim's omen
You just went from unstoppable to GODLIKE, 99% of the games won't get so far because most of the time enemy cc's at 20
Other viable items:
The Bloodthirster: I don't like this items, the damage is nice but the livesteal is semi-useless on riven as it doesn't work with your skills. Get it when you feel you are lacking damage.
Last Whisper: Great item for Riven, damage and armor pen! Get this when enemy starts stacking armor because they are ****ting their pants when they see you.
Use these boots when enemy team is CC heavy, if you are laning against an AD champ build these after Youmuu's Ghostblade.
My boots of choice when enemy is not CC heavy and you are laning against an AD.
Ionian Boots of Lucidity
Only used on rare occasions when you are top against an AP and there's not much CC in enemy team.
- Runic Blade: Bonus auto attack damage EACH TIME you use a skill, stacks up to 3 times. Make sure you don't overstack it.
- Broken Wings (Q): Dash forward, damaging everything in your path. Can be used 3 times in a row, with the 3rd time knocking back the enemy in an aoe circle. Useful to activate your passive.
- Ki Strike (W): Small AOE stun with damage, use this to disrupt enemies. Very useful against enemies like Malzahar, Katarina or Warwick just interrupt their ulties :D
- Valor (E): Dash forward a little bit while gaining a small shield, useful to dodge skill shots or absorb damage like 1-2 tower hits or a Parrrley
- Blade of the Exile (R): This is just one epic ultimate, +20% Attack Damage and an insane AoE FINISHER. Use this when the teamfight starts, not when it is about to end. Also increases the range of your other skills which is very usefull. Finish enemies who are at low hp, or use it in teamfights to lower enemies team hp ( use at 40-50% hp then )
Nothing much I can tell you about this, Blade of the Exile > Ki Burst > Valor > Broken Wings
Only need 1 point in Broken Wings as you only use it for mobility and to proc your passive.
Some rare occasions you might want to ski
Which lane to take?:
Riven excels the most top, ALONE. She has a VERY strong early game, take advantage of this. Take advantage by playing REALLY aggresive with your q combo. Make your enemies waste their potions by harassing them, just don't push to hard or overextend.
Enemies to watch out for:
Renekton: This one is really tough if he knows how to play, just farm and try to shield against his damage.
Garen: Impossible lane, go mid if possible. He will silence + spin you for 80% of your health.
Ryze: Probably most OP anti-melee in the game right now, don't bother laning against this dude, you will get 0 creepkills once he hits level 5.
Nasus: If nasus is clever enough to get some armor you are screwed, you won't be able to damage him enough which means he will get freefarm. Ask jungler to help often.
Irelia: PAIN IN THE ***... Start with boots as armor won't really help against her true damage. Harass her with E -> W, once she pops her W run away till its over then harass again.
Pantheon: Pick this dude if you want to counterpick Riven, she won't have a chance. Keep throwing spears, jump on her when she jumps away and do the other skill after she used her stun. Start with armor + 5 pots and keep spamming spears, when you are out of mana recall get some mana regen and Teleport back.
ALWAYS LANE TOP WITH A WARD
Riven is very good at harassing, at level 1 you can take someone down 80% in a simple combo with Broken Wings
Valor -> Ki Burst -> Auto Attack -> Broken Wings -> Auto Attack -> Broken Wings -> Auto Attack -> Broken Wings -> Auto Attack -> Youmuu's Ghostblade -> Auto Attack enemy till he drops!
Valor -> Ki Burst -> Auto attack -> Broken Wings to back of.
Blade of the Exile -> Valor -> Ki Burst -> Broken Wings x3 -> Youmuu's Ghostblade -> Auto Attack while repeating same combo and finish an enemy with Blade of the Exile
1v1 always use Auto Attack in between Broken Wings to optimize your passive.
Riven has a very strong jungle, you only have to change the masteries a little bit and grab smite, you can still use the same item build! Get red and gank top at level 2 then go double golems -> work your way to blue and give it to a teammate mid or bot.
When ganking try to land infront of your enemy so he gets knockbacked to the direction of your teammate.
Stuck in Elo Hell? PICK RIVEN!
She totally stomps noobs, if you are more skilled then your enemy then you will win your lane AND carry the game for your team which is not the case with many other solo top heroes. Like Cho'gath can't win from many enemies nomatter how good you are with him. Keep in mind that she is probably the hardest carry in the game.
Also, duo queue with a partner, this increases your chance to win by ALOT!
I will be livestreaming ranked gameplay ( 1300-1400 elo ) every day.
You can watch here!: http://www.own3d.tv/live/154515/League_of_Legends_-_Struyk
Thanks for reading my guide! Suggestions and Feedback are welcome!
I'm always looking for duo queue partners!
Add me ingame on EUW = JFD Struyk