Renekton General Guide by PewPewGuy
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
07/12 - Added Mercurial Scimitar god knows how I missed that to begin with xD
Hey Guys, Renekton is one of my fave champs in the game, and the new changes in season 3 really add to my play style for this guy so I figured I would give it a shot, I've worked out a good item set that I tend to be doing very well with and works as a great damage dealing and team supporting build.
So. Figured why not share it.
Pros / Cons
Now, Renekton used to have an issue of falling off a lot late game, with the season 3 items that have been introduced I've really not seen any fall off late game any more, but that might still be a con, I just haven't noticed it yet.
Greater Mark of Armor Penetration
Greater Seal of Armor
Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist
Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage
- Greater Mark Of Desolation - Lovely rune for an AD top to start out, gives a little extra damage due to the penetration of the flat armour runes they will more than likely have.
- Greater Seal of Armor - Flat armour, helps with stopping early game damage as most top lane champs will be AD based, works out better to take these then the per level version.
- Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist - As you probably wont be vs an AP champion at the start these work out great as they provide higher protection at a later level.
- Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage - This is for the last hits early on and to help possibly secure a champion kill early on
- Other Viable Runes:
- Greater Mark of Attack Damage - Can be used to give a fairly high damage early game to secure the last hits on kills though falls off a lot late game.
- Greater Quintessence of Attack Speed - Renekton's ulti deals damage to nearby targets, the bonus move speed really allows you to hug targets and stop any escapes.
This is the standard build I use for Renekton it gives good AD capability and allows easy last hits on minions combines with the runes so really allow you to get that crucial farm. The Reason for not taking the bonus crit damage here and opting for tower damage / minion damage is that you have no crit chance really.
This setup is really for the last item build shown above, if you feel like going down the tank route its a great build that still puts the few in offence to allow for the penetration to give you some damage capability and a great tanking build.
Escape / Engage Slot
This a great Engage / Escape slot skill and the primary one I take and would recommend, gives the ability to chase down anyone who uses flash and gives you the capability to not care about being ganked.
This spell works greatly on Renekton as it gives you huge chase along with your Slice and Dice really meaning ganking you is damn near impossible and allowing you huge chase to secure the kills.
Possibly the best spell on Renekton but not really usable if playing solo queue, reason being you already have Slice and Dice for incredible escape, but Teleport is really there for jumping to a ward in a bush and ganking a lane suddenly, or going to save towers, requires a lot of teamplay which you just wont see in solo queue.
Fight / Kill Slot
Provides a huge true damage way to finish off enemies, or stop them from healing in fights to give you enough of an edge to bring them down, really a great spell all round.
A pretty great spell, provides a slow, lowers attack damage and attack speed, less useful for solo top in S3 due to the main focus on reducing attack speed and much less on reducing damage, since most top champs are now hugely speed base its less useful for you now, but still a strong pick.
Skill Sequence / Ability Explanation
- Cull the Meek - The reason for maxing this skill first is that its pretty much your top damage ability and the fact it gives you a way to steal life, keeping you alive a lot longer in lane.
- Slice and Dice - The reason why this comes second, well its your second higher damage ability early game and later on becomes your most powerful due to the scaling, its also your built in escape / engage and ranking it up lowers cooldown and increases the armour shred that comes with the second dash.
- Ruthless Predator - Maxing this last is pretty obvious to me as its the lowest damage by a long way, the stun duration is the same at all ranks and it applies on hit effects at all ranks.. so theres really no need to rank it till the end.
- Dominus - The Ulti, well this is ranked up at the ranks you can.
What They Do
- Reign of Anger - Your Passive causes you basic attacks and Q / W to build up fury, when you have over 50 your next ability will consume 50 fury and activate the "Empowered" version.
- Cull the Meek - This ability causes Renekton to spin his weapon around himself, it will deal damage to all enemies in a 225(approx) range which means it hits almost twice as far as a regular melee attack and will heal Renekton for 5%(20% vs champions) of the damage dealt. The "Empowered" version will deal 50% extra damage and doubles the amount healed
- Slice and Dice - This ability allows Renekton to dash for a range of 450 dealing damage to all enemies your pass through, if you do pass through enemies it allows a second dash that will deal damage to all enemies again. The "Empowered" version of the second dash will reduce champions armour by 15-35%(rank dependant)
- Ruthless Predator - This ability will will cause a green glow around Renekton and remain active for a while, while active his next hit (on creep or champions) will hit twice and stun the champion for 0.75 seconds, this ability will also apply any on hit effects. The "Empowered" version will hit 3 times and stun the target for 1.5 seconds
- Dominus - Renekton's ulti causes him to grow in size, gaining 300 - 600 bonus health (rank dependant) while active he will deal 40 - 100 magic damage to all enemies within a 175 range of himself (slightly greater than melee range) per second.
The Ability set Renekton Has makes him one of my favourite champs as he can dash to his enemy on low health, pop his ulti and dish out a huge burst damage while the enemy is stunned allowing for a low of kills on unsuspecting Teemo's .. or anyone.. but ya know.. we all love killing that lil guy
The three items listed above I consider almost 100% core items in Season 3 for a lot of top champs really and Renekton is no exception, the lifesteal, regen, health, cdr, huge damage and armour reduction .. oh yeh and splash damage.. my god, these items have almost everything.
The Logic Behind Ravenous Hydra and The Black Cleaver - These two go almost perfectly together, this is because Renekton applies the splash with his stun, and all attacks, the stun also applies the black cleaver stacks, but the best part of these items. Riot did confirm the splash from Hydra will add the Armour Reduction to all targets hit by the splash, meaning that in teamfights, having this combo means you apply huge armour reduction to lots of champs in one small burst.
- Randuin's Omen - Huge Armour, buffed health in season 3 and still the great passive / active, all round a good choice for tankier defence.
- Atma's Impaler - Decent Armour bonus, and comes with a whole bunch of extra damage so help down the AD carry faster ;).
- Runic Bulwark - New item for S3, gives good health and a small boost to both armour and MR and also gives the aura boost to the team, can be a good item if no one else on your team has it.
- Maw of Malmortius - Only Item not mentioned here, good magic resist boost and comes with the passive shield and a bunch of AD, always a very useful item.
- Mercurial Scimitar - Great item all round really, decent Magic Resist, decent damage and the quicksilver passive is like an improved cleanse so, can really help.
Why to not take Banshee's Viel - Well, you are manaless, the health it gives was lowered along with the resist, and blocking 1 ability every 45 seconds is less useful that the shield from Maw.
Your Role In The Team
The role I usually have in team fights with Renekton is one of "Kill The AD Carry", this is because you are a huge burst champion with a double dash, giving you an easy way to close to the carry in a teamfight, you have good health using your ulti and can easily apply the 1.5 second stun usually being enough time to kill the carry in a fight. You then want to spend the rest of your day stood in the middle of the fight with your ulti going to get maximum damage out.
How To Lane Against
This Section will be undergoing huge amount of work as it takes a long time to do this but it will be getting added, for a start though.. heres a way to down everyones most hated top lane champion (lol) Teemo.
So, this guy is pretty damn tough to deal with for the first few levels, what you are going to want to do is let him push, try and avoid him and last hit only, when you reach level 6 however, you will easily start crushing this guy when your ulti is up, the stun / Ulti burst you can output will near enough down a 75% health Teemo in one so you wanna poke a bit, you can allow your health to get low (down to 250 - 350) as Teemo wont be able to one hit you, but will usually stay to try and get the kill, dashing towards him then using your Ulti then Stun you will almost always kill the little guy, giving the Gator Man Some Nom Nom's.