Udyr Build Guide by Vortoce
Not Updated For Current Season
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Welcome to my S3 Jungle Udyr guide.
The Guide is based on Udyr as of Patch 3.05 !
Just a heads up:
I will not go over general jungling tips like warding, when to gank, jungle paths or securing buffs / objectives. Everybody has their own opinion on these.
Please feel free to leave comments or PM me on the guide.
Pros / Cons
+ very fast jungler
+ can counter jungle very well
+ people poop their pants seeing an angry bear run towards them at 500 move speed!
| Udyr is a decent duelist. in early levels phoenix procs do a great amount of damage
| when played right udyr is extremly hard to lock down. all the skill-dodgeing you learned in ARAM is the key!
- no gap closer
- easily counterpicked by champs who kite very well or can shut you out of a fight completely ( Anivia)
- mana hungry in the first few levels. secure your blue!
- relies on other sources of damage to be useful in teamfightes.
Greater Mark of Attack Speed
- Since you're going Phoenix Udyr you profit alot from attack speed. More attack speed means more phoenix procs over time.
- More attack speed also means more life regen over time in turtle stance.
Greater Seal of Armor
- You're jungling, you're going tanky. No other seals really make sense.
Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist
- I prefer scaling magic resist glyphs since there are not alot of magic resist items I would build on Udyr towards late game.
- AP champs tend to get quite strong after an item or two.
Greater Quintessence of Movement Speed
- You're Udyr .. you don't have any gap closers and need the extra movement speed.
- Since you're going a bit more offensive earlier on with Blade of the Ruined King you should invest more points into the defensive tree.
- In my opinion Udyr does not need Runic Affinity to keep up with his mana costs. I'll explain this later in the guide.
- In general cc and slows are Udyr's worst nightmares. If you're up against a champ like Ashe who can kite you well, then you've got yourself a problem. In that sence picking up both Relentless and Tenacious is a no-brainer.
(Innate) Udyr's attack speed is increased by 10% and movement speed is increased by 5 for 5 seconds each time he switches stances. This effect can stack up to 3 times. Switching stances sets off a 1.0 second global cooldown.
Pretty straight forward. Everytime you switch stances you gain movement speed and attack speed. This is generaly the way you play Udyr, switching stances all the time. Having all three stacks up for ganking is not necessary neither recommended. Stances cost alot of mana early on and you're fast enough with boots and Bear Stance.
(Stance) - Activation: Udyr's next attack will deal his current attack damage in addition to magic damage over 2 seconds. In addition, Udyr gains an attack speed buff for 5 seconds. This stacks additively with his persistent attack speed bonus.
Persistent Effect: Udyr's attack speed is increased.
Tiger stance deals a ton of damage in early levels. Very popular when playing Udyr toplane. Level 1 Tiger Udyr should not be underestimated! Since we're buildung more tanky then offensive, phoenix is the better option. It has way faster clear times and is better for later teamfights.
(Stance) - Activation: Udyr gains a shield that absorbs damage for 5 seconds or until it has absorbed the full amount of damage.
Persistent Effect: Udyr's attacks restore a percentage of his damage as health.
Again, pretty straight forward. Udyr restores health on hit while in turtle stance and when activated gains a temporary shield that absorbs damage. I max this second to increase my sustain. Great against poking champs like Jayce, Ezreal or Nidalee. In some cases it doesnt block all the damage, but it certainly helps!
(Stance) - Activation: Udyr gains increased movement speed for a few seconds and ignores unit collision.
Persistent Effect: Udyr mauls his enemies with such force that they are stunned for 1 second when they are hit. This effect can only occur once every 6 seconds on the same target. When attacking to stun an enemy, Udyr will perform a slight dash towards his target.
This is your ganking tool. I max this third to get the increased movement speed and its duration. Ever since Patch 3.05 Bear Stance ignores unit collision (YAY!) and does a little dash towards enemies (bearly noticable :P). You can stun the same enemy every 6 seconds. So Bear, count to 5, while switching stances, deal some damage, then Bear again.
So my golden rule to ganking or chaseing an enemy: BEAR 1 2 3 4 5 BEAR 1 2 3 4 5 BEAR !!
(Stance) - Activation: Udyr sends out pulsing waves of fire dealing magic damage each second to nearby enemies for 5 seconds.
Persistent Effect: On Udyr's first attack and every third attack thereafter, Udyr engulfs the enemies in front of him in flames, dealing magic damage.
Makes clearing jungle camps very easy. Ever since Patch 3.05 Phoenix Stance procs directly after switching to phoenix. When you're jungling hit a creep 4 times before you switch back to turtle. This procs phoenix's passive a second time dealing more damage over time. If you go with my rune, mastery and item setup you get three hits on to a creep before you can switch to turtle on early levels. Waiting for that one extra hit makes a difference. Max this first for the best clear time.
"In this patch, we've made some substantial changes to Udyr. Our goals were to make changing stances feel more impactful, transfer power from passive stats to actual noticeable effects and reduce problematic lane issues. For example, Turtle Stance currently allows Udyr to become an immovable object in lane once he gets ahead, and we want to address that."
- Mana cost of all stances decreased to 47 / 44 / 41 / 38 / 35 from 55 / 50 / 45 / 40 / 35
Now grants 5 Movement Speed per stack instead of 4% bonus Armor and Magic Resistance
- No longer returns mana when dealing damage
- Shield increased to 60 / 100 / 140 / 180 / 220 from 60 / 95 / 130 / 165 / 200
- Udyr can now critically strike in Turtle Stance
- Udyr now ignores unit collision while the movement speed bonus is active
- Udyr now performs a slight dash toward his target on stunning attacks while the movement speed is active
- Bear stance attacks can no longer be self-interrupted mid-attack
- Movement speed increased to 15 / 20 / 25 / 30 / 35% from 15 / 18 / 21 / 24 / 27%
Now I really hope I dont have to explain that you dont always have to build Udyr exactly like this. Depending on the enemy team and the situation you are in you will likely have to build differently. But thats what makes the game so interesting isnt it?
- Blade of the Ruined King is awesome on Udyr. AD and AS improve is overall DPS and the lifesteal improves his sustain. The active slows and damages targets. I normaly use the active to initiate a gank. Worst moments on Udyr ganks are when the enemy is like 2 feet away and Bear Stanceis on cool down!
- Bilgewater Cutlass is a great early item to pick up. The lifesteal sustains you way better then Turtle Stance will. That is considering your mana aswell! The lifesteal makes you save alot of mana. Instead of the need to switch to Turtle Stance you can stay in Phoenix Stance most of the time.
- Iceborn Gauntlet was almost made for Udyr! It gives him a great amount of armour, an amazing passive AoE slow, a really nice damage boost out of the Sheen proc, alot of mana for him to spam stances and a little AP just to make his Turtle Stance and Phoenix Stance ever so slighttly stronger. Every little counts! Depeindung on the enemy team I go for Glacial Shroud or for Sheen rather early on.
- Wit's End is an item alot of people go on Udyr. Dont get me wrong, it is a great item. Probably better than Blade of the Ruined King is you've got an AP heavy enemy team. Since Udyr doesnt need 2 AS items I tend to go for Blade of the Ruined King.
- Randuin's Omen is an awesome item at the moment. With all the people diving into the backlines Randuins is truly great at peeling enemies of your carries.
- Udyr is great with atleast one item that slows enemies. Catching up to an enemy and Bear Stanceing them is relativly easy. Sticking to them and dealing damage.. isnt. So.. items you should take into account are: Iceborn Gauntlet, Randuin's Omen and Frozen Mallet. Each one does well with Udyr.
- Udyr can choose from three different jungle items: Spirit of the Elder Lizard, Spirit of the Ancient Golem and Wriggle's Lantern. I'd only take Wriggle's Lantern on the rare occaision of going Tiger Stance Udyr jungle. Spirit of the Ancient Golem is generally great on Udyr, but I tend to build it rather late since it doesn't add any other great actives or passives like Randuin's Omen or Iceborn Gauntlet. Spirit of the Elder Lizard is a very cool item for Udyr. The extra burn damage goes very well with Udyr's increased AS and phoenix procs. If the enemy team is relativly squishy you can easily chunk a team with Phoenix Stance + Spirit of the Elder Lizard.
- Now again, and I cant stress this enough: The rest depends on how the game is going and what enemy team you are up against. Build accordingly!
- Other items that work great on Udyr are:
Sunfire Cape You have to be up, close and personal anyway. Why not burn everything around you in the meantime?
Warmog's Armor You're tanky. Enough said. If you dont know what to buy .. buy a Warmog's!
Locket of the Iron Solari If your support isn't buying Locket (wich he or she should!) you could consider a Locket. Works well against a Karthus for example.
The example below
If your support doesnt go Bullwark you go Bullwark! If you need early MR prioritize
Using stances correctly
Generally you'd want to activate Bear Stance come into lane, avoid minions and stun the enemy. Intantly switch to Phoenix Stance and get a proc on the enemy. If they decide to fight or if they poke at you (like Ezreal) switch to Turtle Stance. If they're just running get more phoenix procs on to the enemy.
Remember! BEAR *count to five* BEAR
You have to wait five seconds after the first Bear Stance stun to stun the same person again.
Switch into Turtle Stance right before engaging creeps. Switch to Phoenix Stance right away. After the second proc of phoenix (4 hits) switch to Turtle Stance and so on.
When you have some lifesteal you don't really need to switch to turtle anymore. Stay in Phoenix Stance.