Riven Build Guide by cyberskull
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
We recommend you take a look at this author's other builds.
Not Updated For Current Season
Not Updated For Current Season
Notice: Guide won't be updated anymore. If you want to know why visit this link Click Here
Why hello there and welcome to my Riven guide. I originally wrote this guide for solomid.net but I decided to write it here as well. While I may not be the best player and my guide might not be the best I think it's an okay guide for average players like myself and I hope I'll help out people who are looking for a good Riven guide with this one!
Now about Riven. She is a very decent pick for solo lane and if she gets fed and out of control she can carry the whole team with her amazing dmg output and durability. Riven can also jungle but I find her more useful at top lane so that's why I'll be focusing in that aspect. Riven is also an off-tank meaning she can take one heck of a beating and still survive or she can wreak havoc upon the enemy team with the dmg from her abilities, ultimate and her basic attacks.
Note: This guide is mainly about Summoner's Rift. I don't play Dominion or Twisted Treeline that often so I don't know if this guide can be good for those maps.
A good game I had with Riven (I wasn't playing that seriously and it wasn't ranked). Also my team was not the smartest. I was the only one who was 4/0 and I was able to prolong the game for long enough and my teammates caught up. Jayce was negative but he was doing okay and me and him eventually won the game:
9/6/2012 - Guide Created
6/8/2012 - Updated Runes, Masteries, Item Builds, Skill Explanations, Skill Orders, Summoner Spells and added new match-ups + edits to existing match-ups. Added some additional chapters too
7/8/2012 - Added Early/Mid/Late game chapters that provide tips on what to do in those stages of the game
7/8/2012 - Added a video of a game with Riven
8/9/2012 - Added some more BB Coding (since I'm more proficient in it now)
Pros / Cons
+ Strong damage output
+ Fairly durable in lane
+ Fun to play
+ Cool champion design, background story, voice (thanks to Cristina Vee her awesome Voice Actor xD) and nice emotes
+ Can carry the team if built offensively due to her high AD ratios
+ A shield that scales with AD
+ Not that hard to play
+ Very mobile
- Can be countered/stopped if the enemy team starts getting a lot of armor
- Crowd Control stops her from being mobile and is one of Riven's worst enemies
- Doesn't have any other cons 8) (she really doesn't in my opinion)
Greater Mark of Attack Damage
Greater Seal of Armor
Greater Glyph of Magic Resist
Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage
I used to run Armor Penetration Marks but I tried Attack Damage Marks and I found that they are very good. Why you ask? Riven has insane AD Ratios and her shield also scales on AD so getting extra AD from your runes makes you stronger early game. With AD Marks your early game damage will be quite high. Still..if you're against someone like Malphite or Shen you should get Armor Penetration Marks cause they can just stack armor and still beat you.
Armor Seals are a standard pick for a solo top bruiser. Not much to say about them. They make you tankier early game.
You might face tanky AP Casters at top lane sometimes so getting extra Magic Resist through your Glyphs will help.
Same as the AD Marks. These give almost 7 extra AD at the start of the game. Awesome choice for Quints on Riven. While other quints might be viable I believe these Quints are the best for Riven.
Masteries have been changed to 9/21 instead of 21/9. Riven already has enough early game damage with her runes so getting defenses in the Defense Tree is actually quite helpful for early laning. You can go 21/9 but in my opinion 9/21 is better now.
Your starting items should be either Boots of Speed + 3x Health Potion , Cloth Armor + 5x Health Potion or Doran's Blade. Boots/Pots are your starting items for champions who have skillshots or when playing against a jungler who can gank you early. Cloth/Pots is good against heavy AD champions like Tryndamere or Sion. Doran's is good against easy lane opponents.
Core Items when owning:
The Black Cleaver - This item does not stack anymore (big surprise huh?...) but it's still good on Riven for early game dominance. Gives CDR, Health, Damage and Armor Pen. What more do you want?
The Bloodthirster - Still a core item on Riven. Gives you amazing damage when fully stacked and some awesome life steal.
Ravenous Hydra - Great item. It's basically the upgraded melee version of Tiamat. Decent HP Regen, extra life steal, an active that is great for farming minion waves and a splash effect on your auto-attacks. Great right? Yup
Guardian Angel - Your defensive item when owning. Gives you a 2nd life but be careful not to die in a place where you'll just get taken out again.
Core Items when not owning or losing:
Frozen Mallet - Extra HP for more survivability, a guaranteed slow and some extra AD. Pretty good item when you're behind or just performing decently.
Guardian Angel - Same when owning. This is a great defensive item. Not much to say about it..just..don't die in a place where you'll end up dying again.
Wriggle's Lantern - Decent replacement for Bloodthirster. Gives you some armor and some life steal.
Boots and Enchantments:
Mercury's Treads - Get these against heavy magic damage dealers or lots of crowd control on the enemy team.
Ninja Tabi - Get these when laning against a heavy AD champion. You can sell them later on when you have most of your items.
Enchantment: Furor - I usually get this cause it lets you stick onto your targets more easily.
Enchantment: Alacrity - I'll only get these when I'm losing and I don't feel so safe even when I'm near my turrets.
The rest of the items in both item builds are optional. You can get the following items to replace them if you feel like they'll help you more or if you just prefer them:
Maw of Malmortius - Good against really heavy magic damage dealers who can burst you down quite fast.
Atma's Impaler - Sorta good if you're going for an off-tanky build or something like that.
Randuin's Omen - Good tanky item against heavy AD champs (Kog, Vayne, etc)
Last Whisper - Good when trying to penetrate some of the enemy tanks' armor.
Flash : I used Exhaust before but I decided to start using Flash a bit more to see if it's really that useful and it is. While Exhaust can help you win in 1v1 it's no good if you exhaust someone and they get away using their own Flash. With Flash however you can make plays, secure kills and escape ganks. You can also initiate with Flash + your skills if your team needs an initiator. Awesome summoner spell to have on Riven and pretty much every other champ.
Ignite : Ignite can really help you out in securing kills. If you're facing champions who have Heal or have a healing ability you can really shut them down with ignite. Just make sure you use it at the right time. Ignite is also very good for shutting down someone like Sion . If you ignite him before he uses his ultimate then you've pretty much won the fight unless he gets some back-up.
Alternative Summoner Spells:
Exhaust - It's still good if you want a stronger 1v1 or to shut down someone for several seconds in team fights. Take it if it fits your playstyle.
Ghost - This is more suitable for a Jungle Riven but again if it fits your playstyle go ahead and take it. It's a decent summoner.
Heal - I still haven't tried this on Riven and I probably won't because I don't usually take heal..not even on AD Carries. I just don't like Heal. That doesn't mean it's a bad summoner spell. It's good in 1v1 but it's easily stopped with Ignite so that's one of the reasons why I dislike it. I wouldn't recommend this for a Solo Top Riven lane but if you want go ahead and take it. It won't be useless..just not that useful.
If I want to be aggressive:
Blade of the Exile -> Broken Wings -> Valor -> Ki Burst
And if I want to play safe or I feel like I'm gonna get harassed often:
Blade of the Exile -> Ki Burst = Valor -> Broken Wings
Note: If you're winning and you're going for The Black Cleaver you can max Q for maximum damage output.
Riven's abilities charge her blade, causing her to do 5 / 7 / 9 / 11 / 13 / 15 (+0.5 per bonus attack damage) bonus physical damage on her next autoattack. Riven can store up to 3 charges, and will only expend one at a time.
This passive is awesome because it gives you the option of doing a lot of different combos. If you want burst damage you can just spam your abilities but if you're looking for that sustained damage then you can just Q, auto-attack, Q, auto-attack, Q, auto-attack and repeat this with all of your skills to maximize your damage. Early game this passive increases Riven's damage by a lot. Properly using your passive can change you from a decent Riven player to a beast Riven player.
Riven steps forward and lashes out in a series of powerful sword slashes that will damage all enemies nearby. This ability can be activated a second time within 4 seconds, and a third time within 4 seconds of that. On the third activation she will also knock nearby enemies back and have a larger radius of damage. All three strikes will deal the same amount of damage.
Cooldown: 13 seconds
Range of dash: 260
Diameter of damaging AoE: 225
Diameter of third strike's damaging AoE: 300
Physical Damage Per Strike: 30 / 55 / 80 / 105 / 130 (+0.7 per bonus attack damage)
Total Physical Damage: 90 / 165 / 240 / 315 / 390 (+2.1 per bonus attack damage)
I still love this skill but I find that maxing out your W just gives you better harass. You can still max out Q if you wanna play aggressively but these days I max W most of the time. This skill is still really good though. It has really good damage if maxed out and it makes you more mobile so you can catch up to enemies, damage them or escape ganks. If you have the Battle Bunny Riven skin you can use this to hop around the place like a true bunny girl!
Another thing to mention about this skill is the knock-back it gives. If you want to quickly catch up to someone you can click your Q 2 times and if you think you can reach the enemy champion then you can Flash and use your Q's 3rd activation to knock them back which might just give your teammates enough time to stun or immobilize the enemy champion. I've seen Wingsofdeathx's Riven Guide on solomid.net and he says that you can just use your Q and Flash half-way through it. I guess that could work but I'm not that much of a pro to pull it off. If you think you can pull it off yourself try it sometime.
Riven deals physical damage and stuns nearby enemies for 0.75 seconds.
Range of dash: 325
Cooldown: 11 / 10 / 9 / 8 / 7 seconds
Physical Damage: 50 / 80 / 110 / 140 / 170 (+1.0 per bonus attack damage)
I've started maxing this first because it gives you awesome harass. I still think it is not as useful as it was before Riven got nerfed but it's still good. The combo I use most for harassing is Q in your opponent's face, W and E to get out safely and block incoming damage if they decide to fight back.
Riven dashes towards the cursor and gains a shield for up to 2.5 seconds.
Range of dash: 325
Cooldown: 10 / 9 / 8 / 7 / 6 seconds
Shield Strength: 60 / 90 / 120 / 150 / 180 (+1.0 per bonus attack damage)
Not much to say about this skill. It's still awesome. Use it to get away safely when you harass with W or Q since it'll absorb any damage your opponent might try to inflict on you. I usually max out W but I might get some extra points in this if I feel like I might need a stronger shield.
Riven's sword reforms, gaining 20% bonus attack damage, extended range on her damaging abilities and autoattacks for 15 seconds. She is also granted the ability to use Wind Slash once for the duration.
Bonus Autoattack Range: 75
Ki Burst New AoE: 270
Broken Wings New AoE: 325
Broken Wings 3rd Strike New AoE: 400
Cooldown: 75 / 60 / 45 seconds
Riven can activate the ability to emit a shockwave in a long cone in front of her that deals physical damage to all units hit based on their missing health.
Missile Speed: 2200
Minimum Damage: 80 / 120 / 160 (+0.6 per bonus attack damage)
Maximum Damage (25% health or lower): 240 / 360 / 480 (+1.8 per bonus attack damage)
What can I say about this Ultimate? It's awesome!! Not only does it give you bonus AD upon activation you can also use Wind Slash to finish off fleeing enemies or to just do some nice damage to them. Blade of the Exile has a really low CD which means if you get in a 1v1 fight and no one dies you don't have to worry because you'll have your ultimate back before you know it. Also when in team fights (and 1v1 too) activate your Ultimate at the start. Don't be stupid and just use it cause of Wind Slash. The bonus AD from the Ultimate is awesome so you shouldn't just rely on Wind Slash.
Note: In team fights you can damage multiple enemies with Wind Slash so be smart about that. And also when using Wind Slash do it when your opponent has less HP since the skill's dmg increases based on the HP the target/s are missing.
Olaf Difficulty - Medium to Hard
He's a pain to lane against...his true damage really shreds your health and he has a lot of sustain. His Q really helps him in catching up to you so he can use E on you.
- Early game is the best chance you get to shut him down. Once you hit level 3 it's your best chance to beat him.
- If you do get a kill or two on him early game make sure you don't let him farm and try to constantly harass him so he can't do anything
- It's good to harass him but get wards if you have the advantage. You might get ganked if you're pushing the lane and denying him farm.
Irelia Difficulty - Hard
Irelia has true damage and decent sustain with her W. You can't really beat her but if you manage to trade kills with her early game you can fight on-par with her.
- Don't let her farm way too much.
- Harass her whenever you can. She can Q to close the gap but you are Riven.
- If you do let her farm and she gets out of control get help from your jungler. If she does farm way too much then you can't really stop her so 2v1 is your best option.
Shen Difficulty - Medium to Hard
Shen can't beat you early game. If you beat him early game then you're okay.
- Beat him early game.
- If you outfarm him and get your items faster than him you can beat him.
- Watch out for his E. If you don't have a Ward and he suddenly Taunts you out of nowhere you might die if his Jungler shows up.
Renekton Difficulty - Medium to Hard
He has a strong early game. Don't try to trade with him but make sure you harass him when he goes for last hits. Letting him farm is not a smart thing to do.
- Early game he beats you but if you don't feed him and if you don't let him farm too much you'll be stronger mid to late game and in team fights.
- Harass him when he goes for last hits.
Nasus Difficulty - Easy to Hard
Early game you can kick his *** hard. If you do that and stop him from farming you're effectively shutting him down.
- Be careful of his W. If he uses it on you early game then his Jungler is probably coming for a gank.
- Harass him early on in the game
- Stop him from farming. It really does shut him down if he can't farm.
Nocturne Difficulty - Easy to Medium
You probably won't meet many Nocturnes at top but some people might try and lane with him. Early game he can have deceptively high damage but once you hit lvl 6 you can own him and if you shut him down you've won your lane.
- Try to avoid trading with him early game
- Once you hit lvl 6 try going for a kill
- Harass him when he tries to farm
Darius Difficulty - Medium
I feel like Darius and Riven are pretty equal in terms of strength. Both are decent early game and both become even stronger when they hit lvl 6. You can beat him but he can beat you. Be careful!
- Try avoiding his Q's..they hurt
- Try avoiding his E. It's on a somewhat long cooldown so when it's down you can try harassing him a bit.
- Once he hits lvl 6 be very careful when fighting him. Getting a rank 2/3 in your E can help if you're brought to low HP or if he uses his Ultimate on you.
Jax Difficulty - Medium to Hard
A good Jax can kick your *** but if you're a good Riven you can kick his *** too if you outplay him.
- Do not let him free farm
- Getting some armor would be useful against this guy
- Be careful of his harass and try to play safe against him
Cho'Gath Difficulty - Medium
Cho is a good top but so is Riven. If you avoid his Q and E in time so his W can't damage you that hard you can beat him easily.
- Avoid his Q's
- Don't underestimate his Ultimate
- Harass him before he hits lvl 6. That's his weakest time in lane
Dr. Mundo Difficulty - Easy
Mundo is easy to beat. You just need to be careful of his early game damage.
- His early game damage can be deceptively strong
- Even if he hits lvl 6 you can shut down his Ultimate with Ignite so don't be too afraid to go for a kill at lvl 6
- If he's harassing with his Q try using your E to block the damage
Fiora Difficulty - Medium to Hard
I must admit..I sometimes have trouble against good Fiora players. Her damage output is really strong so you really need to play safe against a Fiora.
- Play safe. Fiora has more damage than you.
- You should try and get a few ganks from your jungler. It's hard to beat Fiora in 1v1.
- Getting some extra armor against her would be very useful
Gangplank Difficulty - Easy to Medium
Gangplank is easy to beat once you get some levels. You should be careful if he's going for a Critplank build.
- Easy to beat him when you hit lvl 6
- Harass him before you hit lvl 6
- It might be useful to get 2 or 3 ranks in your E so you can block his Q
Garen Difficulty - Medium to Hard
Gay lane..Garen has good damage, good sustain (his passive) and good durability. You might need your jungler for this guy.
- Watch out for his Q
- If he starts camping in the bushes try to stay away from them cause he's probably trying to Q you in the face if you get near the bush
- His Ultimate is quite strong so try to not get hit by it
Jarvan IV Difficulty - Easy to Hard
A good Jarvan can deal with you but if you're a good Riven you should generally beat him.
- Try to dodge his Q harass
- Harassing him when his Q is on cooldown could be useful
- Once he hits lvl 6 he might use his Ultimate out of nowhere on you and his jungler might suddenly pop outta nowhere so be careful of that
- If he's somehow beating you getting some HP will help
Jayce Difficulty - Medium to Hard
Another gay lane. If he's maxing out his E he can do a **** load of damage to you. Try fighting him after lvl 6.
- He doesn't really have a real ultimate so going in for a kill after lvl 6 is the best thing you can do against him
- His E does a **** load of dmg..be careful..
- He's quite mobile with his E in Ranged Form so keep that in mind when trying to trade with him
Kayle Difficulty - Easy to Medium
Lmao..if they send Kayle against you they must not be that smart. Kayle can do well against you if she outplays you hard but generally you should kick her ***.
- If she's going AP once she uses Q on you get outta there
- If she's AD try to trade with her at lvl 5-6 but if you're trading with her at lvl 6 watch out for her Ultimate
- When her E is off cooldown go in for some harass. She can't really trade effectively against you without it
Kennen Difficulty - Hard
A hard lane indeed. You're gonna have to get Mercury's Treads against this guy..and maybe even a Hexdrinker if he's stronger than you thought he would be.
- Watch out for his Q poke..it hurts a lot.
- Don't waste your time trying to harass him cause you can't..he's Kennen after all. Just farm and try not to die.
- You're gonna need help from your jungler but you really need to gank Kennen effectively since he can escape most ganks with his E
- Your Ultimate is strong but so is his. If he suddenly Flashes near you and pops his R flash outta there or try using Q + E to get outta there if you don't wanna waste Flash
Lee Sin Difficulty - Medium to Hard
Lee is strong as a jungler and as a top laner. You need to outplay him in order to beat him.
- Watch out for his Q harass
- If you harass him he can get away if he uses W on one of his minions so maxing out your W against him will be very useful
- Watch out for the enemy jungler if they somehow stun you, root you or knock you up in the air Lee can just walk in front of you and kick you back with his Ultimate
Malphite Difficulty - Medium to Hard
Malphite is quite hard for Riven. If you let him farm and he stacks a lot of armor fast you will probably lose the lane. You gotta beat this guy early game if you wanna shut him down.
- Harass him early game constantly but watch out for his passive and his Q
- If he gets a lot of armor don't bother harassing him and just farm it up as best as you can
- Be very careful of his Ultimate ..he can use it outta nowhere and if that happens the enemy jungler might suddenly come and you'll die
Nidalee Difficulty - Hard
Nida is really strong at top especially if she goes for a Hybrid build..that way even if you get Magic.Res or Armor she can still deal a lot of damage to you.
- Try harassing her before she gets her Ultimate (Cougar Form) ..after she gets it it'll be really hard to do anything to her
- Watch out for her Q's. If she has a decent amount of AP they'll hurt a lot if she throws them from a long range
- Get your jungler to gank before she hits lvl 6. After she hits lvl 6 Nida is ungankable so ganking her pre lvl 6 is the best option.
Pantheon Difficulty - Easy to Hard
Pantheon is a high risk high reward champion. You can beat him but if he gets 1 or 2 kills off you he can own you.
- His Q hurts. Try to use your E when he uses one on you.
- His passive can save him in a 1v1 so be really careful when fighting him.
- His Ultimate doesn't really help him in 1v1 so try fighting him when you hit lvl 6
Poppy Difficulty - Medium to Hard
If the Poppy you're playing against is using this guide or a similar guide to this one "http://solomid.net/guides.php?g=16923" then you're dead if she kills you once or twice.
- Her Q's hurt..watch out for those.
- Do NOT feed her..if you do the lane is over
- Early game she is weak so that's your chance to win the lane
- It might be a good idea to get Armor.Pen Marks against her if she has a lot of armor
Rumble Difficulty - Medium to Hard
Rumble is a really strong pick for top so the only way you can beat him is if you outplay him or if he sucks.
- Once he hits lvl 6 he can deal a ton of damage to you
- He's weak early game so harass him then
- Get your Jungler to gank early and you might grab a fast kill on him if you're lucky enough
Shyvana Difficulty - Medium
I don't really see Shyvana top a lot but I've played against Shyvana Top before. She can beat you if she gets some extra HP early on.
- Early game she's very weak and doesn't have that much damage or survivability. That's your best chance to stop her from becoming a threat.
- Harassing her might be a bit more difficult than you might think due to her W.
- She gets stronger once she hits lvl 6 but you do too so be careful when fighting her at lvl 6.
Singed Difficulty - Medium
Singed is weak early game but if he survives the early game and hits lvl 6 he can beat you.
- He becomes a lot stronger with his Ultimate so take him out before he hits lvl 6
- Even if you stop him from farming he can still catch up in farm quickly if he kills you when he hits lvl 6. You need to kill this guy.
Sion Difficulty - Easy to Medium
Easy to beat thanks to your Ignite
- Ignite him if he uses his Ultimate and you'll win.
- Watch out for his early game damage.
Tryndamere Difficulty - Easy to Medium
You can beat him. Just be careful of his Ultimate and you got this!
- His Ultimate can win him a 1v1 battle. Try to Ignite him just as his ultimate is about to end and if you have enough HP finish him off
- Early game you can beat him if he doesn't have a lot of durability or Crit
- Don't let him farm
Vladimir Difficulty - Medium
You can beat him and he can beat you. Don't underestimate his Q sustain.
- Don't waste your time harassing him. He'll just use his Q and heal back up.
- When you hit lvl 6 you should go for a kill.
- He can farm very easily and you can't stop him from doing it. Get help from your jungler if you wanna stop him from farming too much.
Volibear Difficulty - Easy to Medium
Pretty easy lane. Nuff said.
- Ignite him just before his passive kicks in and you've beaten him. Similar to Sion.
- Watch out for his W. It does hurt so try fighting him at lvl 6.
Wukong Difficulty - Medium
Same as Vladimir except he can't farm that easily.
- He can harass you quite nicely so use E if he tries to do it.
- If you're trying to harass him be careful of his W.
- Your Ultimate is stronger than his!
Yorick Difficulty - Hard
Gay...so gay...just...try farming and try to stay alive..you can't kill him unless you get a very nice gank from your jungler. If he gets blue buff it's over..
- Do not harass him..it's useless..just try and farm as best as you can and maybe build some armor or something for durability.
- You can't harass him but he can harass the **** out of you with his W and E
- Get help from your jungler. You'll need it for sure..unless the Yorick sucks.
- If he gets blue buff you really..really..REALLY need help from someone..ask your mid or your jungler to come help you fast before he kills you and takes down your turret.
Akali Difficulty - Medium
You probably won't see that much Akali players at top but they do sometimes pick her. She's easy to kill but the problem is her W and the fact that she can kill you before you kill her.
- Once she uses her W be careful. She'll try to damage you and become invisible again.
- Once she gets her R she can be a real pain. Grabbing some extra points in your E could help you in blocking some of her harass.
- Going for a Mercury's Treads + Hexdrinker combo against her will really help you in fighting her.
As I discover new match-ups I'll update this chapter!
I don't want to go into detail about this so if you want to learn how to ward effectively then head over to this guide:
Warding is very important for every lane so make sure you ward your lane unless you want to die to the enemy jungler.
Early game for Riven is a time when you have to play smart. You need to understand what your opponent can do, what you can do and what is the best thing you can do against certain match-ups. For example if you're facing Singed you need to be aggressive because Singed is very weak early game and that's your best chance to beat him. So now that I've given you an example here's stuff you want to focus on in early game and some tips:
1. Farming - farming is essential for every lane (excluding supports since they give their AD Carries the farm). It's okay to harass if you need to be aggressive in order to beat your opponent but don't forget to farm.
2. Warding - make sure you ward. If you don't do it then you'll just die if you get ganked, you'll get mad cause your jungler didn't try to help you and you'll blame him when it's not really his fault. If you're a person who doesn't blame others for his mistakes that often then it's okay but it doesn't change the fact that you need to ward your lane.
3. Map awareness - when you're jungler comes to gank if you don't look at your map and don't notice he's coming he might just jump in there alone and he might die. Make sure you keep your eyes on the mini-map.
4. Communication - if you're wining or you're just trying to think of a strategy to outplay the enemy team then it's important to communicate with your team. The most awful habit I have is sitting and farming at top for too long when I could be helping my team. Don't be like me and try to avoid that mistake. Communication is essential in League of Legends because it's a team game.
Tips for the laning phase:
- Use the Match-Ups chapter I've made and check out the tips I've written so you can beat your lane opponent
- Don't go to base way too often unless you have no choice. If you do that you're just losing experience and gold.
- If you are going to base always use Riven's dashes in order to get to lane faster.
- If you've won your lane then go help out your teammates but don't forget to go back to top lane in order to clear the minion waves if the enemy top laner is pushing. Riven is a good farmer with a maxed W and 2-3 points in her Q so you can clear minions waves quite fast.
I'll split this chapter into 3 parts.
If you're wining:
- Go for Dragon. If the enemy team hasn't learned their lesson and are way too cocky you can kick their *** if they attempt to steal Dragon. Also if you're super fed you might wanna consider taking an early Baron. The enemy team won't expect it and it'll keep your team in the lead if you get it. Other than that since the laning phase is over try to stick with your team and make sure to use a build that your team needs (either tanky/off-tanky/or a high damage build).
If the game is tied:
- Don't force team fights at Dragon but keep it warded. If neither team is too fed then Baron probably won't be your highest concern. Try and make plays around the map to give your team the advantage. Also trying to steal a Red buff from the enemy jungler is pretty useful if you can get away with it. Red buff on Riven is quite strong. Other than that just stick with your team and try to make plays.
If you're losing:
- If you're losing only by a little and the enemy team attempts Dragon you can try and steal it or kill them but be very careful. If you're losing by a lot then someone like Ezreal or Graves should try and steal Dragon since you can't really fight back against the enemy team at this point. If you are losing then don't be on the offensive. Just play defensively and stick near your turrets and teammates.
TL;DR - You're wining? Keep wining then. You're losing? Play safe!! The teams are tied? Make some awesome plays and give your team the advantage it needs to win!
If you're wining then try forcing a team fight at Baron because you can win it. If not then stop the enemy team from taking Baron because if they are wining and they take it you'll be in trouble. If you're the fed one in your team then you need to play smart and carry your team since it's your job as the most fed person. Even if you're not fed Riven still shines in teamfights due to her high damage and tankyness.
One last thing to note is split pushing. If you're wining and your team is fighting the enemy team at one of the 3 lanes you can split push in order to create pressure for the enemy team. Riven is actually a good split pushes due to her mobility. If they try to catch you off guard you can escape with your Flash and your skills. Riven takes down turrets fast with a nice amount of Attack Damage so split pushing shouldn't be a problem for you.
TL;DR - If you're wining you gotta make plays and carry your team. If you're losing play safe even if your teammates don't. Also don't forget global objectives such as Baron and Dragon!
New to Riven? Want to learn more about her?
If you're new to Riven and want to learn more about her fear not cause I can tell you some interesting facts about Riven:
- Riven was designed by Xypherous (much love to Xypherous <3)
- When Xypherous was creating Riven's character, her backstory was a little different. In her former backstory, she was a Demacian who was exiled for rescuing Noxian refugees from Demacian persecution.
- "Riven" literally means torn apart, or broken asunder.
- Riven is voiced by Cristina Valenzuela (a.k.a Cristina Vee, the most awesome VA ever =D)
- While using her ultimate Blade of the Exile, Riven gains an additional taunt and joke, as well as other various emotes.
- During Blade of the Exile, Riven's voice seems to have an echo.
- During an Ionian ambush on Noxian troops, Singed launched a barrage of biochemical terror on both forces. Riven witnessed as around her Ionian and Noxian alike fell victim to an unspeakably gruesome fate. This incident led Riven to wander in self-imposed exile, seeking atonement and searching for her own way to serve the pure Noxian vision in which she believed.
Also here is a video of Sykkuno one of the funniest youtube commentators to watch. He's playing Riven and he might not be the best player out there but he's really good and he did okay in that game. His ELO is like.. 1500-1600 I think. Enjoy!~ (I'm not recording a game myself because my PC isn't that good for recording and I might be able to do it but the video will either lag or have bad quality):
Riven is my favorite champion and always will be. She's super fun to play and is a very decent pick in Ranked matches. If you do okay with her then you can help your team win the game. Overall Riven is good with a lot of different team comps so if your team really needs someone who can either be an offensive tanky carry or a tanky initiator then I suggest picking up Riven. She's 6300 IP but I believe she's totally worth it!
Thanks for reading my first guide and if it helped you out please tell me in the comments. If you think the guide can improve somewhere then feel free to criticize but please do it in a respectful way. I would really appreciate it if you comment and tell me what you think about the guide! Okay..thanks..bye!!