Jax Build Guide by Sydalrg
Not Updated For Current Season
Your Real Weapon
Not Updated For Current Season
|// Jax, Grandmaster At Arms. Most people would play him toplane or in the jungle. But one of his strengths is that to counter ADC's. And why not do that ALL GAME?
// SPECIAL THANKS: Credits to jhoijhoi for the template, which you can find here.
As a foreword, I know I've made the mistake of naming Jax's Leap Strike Kha'Zix's Leap. But you get the gist... Enjoy!
Pros & Cons
Pros / Cons
+ Has a gap closer and an escape in his Leap
+ Has a hard stun in his Counter Strike
+ Burns through turrets with his Relentless Assault passive and Empower skill
+ Counters AD Carries with his Counter Strike
+ Has a variety of awesome skins
+ Low price for an OP champ!
- Weak without items
- Mostly relies on his stun to secure kills.
- EXTREMELY mana heavy
- No escape without Ghost or Leap
- Will be blammed for trolling when going ADC Jax.
- Standard pick or ban in low elo's.
- Greater Quintessence of Movement Speed: // Jax has decent movement speed, with and without items. However, sometimes people might get away 'cus they have the SLIGHT advantage over you, and you can't Leap on them. This takes care of that. Replacements would be Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage
- Greater Mark of Attack Damage: // Allows you to do more damage early on. So much that it's just scary and it helps you last hit minions. Recplamanets would be Greater Quintessence of Scaling Attack Damage so you do more damage late game. Just go with AD based marks, dammit!
- Greater Glyph of Armor: // AD Carries. They do Attack Damage. This helps you repel those pesky auto attacks. If they can land them that is. Replacements would be Greater Glyph of Ability Power to help your damage with Empower and Grandmaster's Might. Not recommended though, just go with Armor.
- Greater Seal of Armor: // Look at the text above. Replacements would be Greater Seal of Mana to get rid of them pesky mana costs. Not recommended but hey, who knows?
Ignite: // Helps you secure kills and get early First Blood. It's known as the "First Blood Spell" for a reason. It falls of late game though, but could eliminate some ultimates such as Dr. Mundo's Sadism
Ghost: // You don't need Flash if you know how to play a Jax well. It allows you to get closer to champs to land your Leap, or get away.
Flash: // If you don't know how to use Jax's leap.
- Relentless Assault: // Relentless Assault increases your attack speed as you attack minions, champions and structures. It's a great passive and combined with your Empower this can prove to be the ultimate tower pusher.
- Leap (Q): // Your escape, your gap closer, your everything. Initiate with this, escape with this. You can use this on enemy minions and champions, as well as friendly minions and champions. Most importantly, this can be used on WARDS. Never forget this, especially with the trinket system introduced in Season 4! Empower increases it's damage, so it's a smart idea to activate this just before leaping.
- Empower (W): // This skill gives you a temporary buff that is expended when attacking monsters, minions and champions. It resets your auto-attack timer so you can hit some nasty damage with this. Combined with your passive ( Relentless Assault) you can push towers, as it gives you the extra damage but does not expend it. Useful!
- Counter Strike (E): // Alot of champions are defined by their ultimates. This is Jax's bread and butter. You press E to activate this and quickly jump in with Leap before it runs out. This is why Jax ADC is viable. The majority of champions have to use Auto's to follow up on skills and this nullifies them. If they're stupid enough they will continue to attack you. The more they do however, the more damage it builds up and unleashes.
- Grandmaster's Might (R): // (Passive) After every 3 auto attacks, his next auto attack will do extra AP damage. Upon activation this will give him extra armor and magic resistance. Although I've never had to activate this myself, you might have to to escape with a sliver of health.
Ability Sequence Order
|// Pretty self explanatory. You use Counter Strike just before leaping so you can stun them after or upon landing. Make sure to Empower just before you Leap and you do extra damage. You generally never have to activate Grandmaster's Might but if they attack you in the skirmish, it'll lessen the damage.|
|// Many people will raise an eyebrow to this. Why not go with a Hextech Gunblade before this? Don't get me wrong, I love the Gunblade but Blade of the Ruined King give Jax an extremely good set of stats, along with a useful activation that steals life and movement speed. You generally want to build Attack Speed with Jax early has he has most of his damage already. This allows you to do a bit more damage, do that damage quicker and get some life steal along the way.|
|// These boots are awesome because they give you... well, movmeent speed of course, but a really nice bit of Attack Speed that helps Jax early. Enchantment: Furor helps Jax stay next to his victim.|
|// A huge scramble of stats that ALL help Jax. AD? Check. AP? Check. Movement Speed? Check. Attack Speed? Double check. And for the icing on the cake, the passive rocks. When using Empower, Leap and Counter Strike along with the auto attacks their squishy carries will be crying and begging for mercy.|
|// Spell Vamp that helps with his skills, the stats that add up nicely with the Trinity Force and another item activation that slows opponents as well as deal damage. Heck yes! This almost seems made for this guy!|
|// Gives you a nice passive effect with damage as well as attack speed to go with it. More damage? Yes please.|
|// Takes care of the squishiness of Jax. Replace this with Spirit Visage if they run more AP than AD.|
How 2 Play (H2P) / Who does Jax synergize with?
How to Play Jax ADC
Now when you looked at this guide you may have raised an eyebrow to the 'ADC' part. Did I mean he does AD damage or did I mean that he goes the ADC / Marksman role. It's both!
Yes, that's right! Jax is a beast. He excels at exchanges as long as his Counter Strike is up. Anybody knows that a stun with some heavy damage could be vital in early game. But sometimes the support has to waste their exhaust, and then maybe a slow skill if they have it. You may need to burn both your summoners but guess what! Jax does his own stun! If your support is anybody with a stun like Taric or perhaps a Thresh with a pull, it's a guaranteed First Blood. And EVERYBODY knows that a Jax with even 1 kill is scary.
Then how do you play him?
Jax as an ADC is all about the early game. All ADC / Marksman champions rely on auto-attacks early game. So does Jax... after his Counter Strike. That being said you get your Long Sword (Or if you're feeling ballsy, go with Boots of Speed) and your potions. Make sure to take your Trinket of choice (Though Greater Totem is exceptional if you know that you can leap to it) and go down to botlane. Pull red if you have to, you'll be fine. Play casually but try not to reach Lv2, nor let them. Engage early. Like HELLA early. Pop Ghost if you cant quite get in range for your Counter Strike to hit and unleash on their ADC. If your support can, let your stun run out and have them use theirs. Remember that in this exchange, do not use ignite. You should be fine without it and BAM! First Blood. If their support is stupid enough they will be caught in your Counter Strike. They will have a little damage and probably burnt their exhaust on you. If they are in range or your support stuns them in time, use Ignite on them and land a few cheap hits for probably a double.
What about midgame and lategame?
Just keep your combo in mind that I explained before throughout midgame and buy the items I've recommended. I've explained why you need them. As for late game, you play Jax like you'd normally play him. Leapfrog in with your counterstrike, focus their damage and squishies, snowball to hell and have fun carrying your game.
Who does Jax synergize with?
Supports with pulls, knockups, pushes, stuns... All of these work well. The best would be if they got any of these on level 1. You're not so desperate for health as most of the damage you'll receive, especially early, is soaked up by your Counter Strike. I'd recommend Thresh to any Jax ADC. Make sure to Leap on them as Thresh casts Death Sentence and you Counter Strike so they stay in place. Land the hits and gg, wp, carried hard.
Is ADC Jax viable for ranked?
Is ADC Jax viable for ranked?
Yes. I've played him ADC Ranked quite a few times and won every game. The problem is not the game, it's the pre-game itself that's annoying. People don't know about this secret role that he goes with so nicely. In fact, people would rather just leave a queue and lose LP rather than deal with someone breaking the meta. This is why Jax ADC is much more useful if you... wait for it... duo queue. Alot of people will leave bottom lane for the duos nowadays since communication is key there. Besides, it's one less person calling you a noob for your weird choice.