Standard Jungle Build
Introduction - About The Author & What Made Me Make This Guide
I am a 22 year old male who has been playing League Of Legends Since Season 2, and got into playing ranked during Season 4. I have always found video games fascinating since I first played Pokemon Silver on my Game Boy Color at the Age of 6. It is a real nice experience for me to watch as games grow over the years with the advancement of technology. I spend my time going to college studying graphic design, working a part-time job & streaming on Twitch as a hobby. I also have been posting Youtube videos for several months now and I really enjoy the experience of growing and learning how to edit videos to make content more enjoyable for my viewers. If you wish to see any of my videos there will be plenty spread around in this guide!
This is my first Mobafire guide I have created (actually my first game guide on a website in general 0.0), & This Guide has Definitely come a LONG WAY but I still believe it still needs some touch ups :P. I will be posting updates for Season 6 so look out for them because they will be coming baby!! I decided to make this guide because I wanted to share with people how AWESOME of a champion I believe Jax is!! :D
I see Jax played so much more often now due to the Guinsoo's Rageblade changes in Patch 5.22. He can work well as an all around pick for Jungle, Top, or even Mid. Building Full damage on Jax is REALLY FUN, & it makes him more of an Assassin like Rengar. The issue with going full damage opposed to a bruiser build is that you get blown up easily when you are in the heart of battle to deal your damage. For this reason I find the challenge of surviving being a full damage build more to bring me more excitement, but Tanky Jax can be fun as well and has many viable options on his plate :)
Jax is the PERFECT example of a champion that scales very well with levels and gets MASSIVE power spikes from items! People used to build Blade of the Ruined King pre nerfs with a Trinity Force and then to finish the rest of his build with tanky items. Now the meta has introduced Guinsoo's Rageblade into the mix being a stronger choice to build along with a Hextech Gunblade. While this may be one of the most efficent ways to build him it doesn't ALWAYS WORK OUT. Sometimes for their team you need more damage to burst down their hyper carries, but then you are too squishy to even find a good opening into a fight. Sometimes you need more tankiness to have more survivability for teamfights, which is usually not even that helpful due to the fact Jax scales so well with damage compared to tankiness, although it does help him in teamfights much better to go a more tanky route.
I decided to throw in these different build paths to let you guys know that there are way more options than just Standard cookie cutter builds due to the fact Jax is a VERY VERSATILE CHAMPION. Some of these builds can have more of an impact on the game than the usual meta build. These different builds can help with some of the weaknesses Jax needs or to help out your Team-comp against the enemies.
P.S. Just want to mention that Trinity Force is the best Sheen item for Jax overall, but the AP Builds work better with a Lich Bane.
Let's listen to this beautiful rap made by Badministrator for our favorite Purple Jesus :D
Pre-Season 7 Jax News/Information Section
I talk about the several changes and new masteries added on the pbe for pre-season. Watch to see my thoughts on it all.
Jax Gameplay Videos!
Pros / Cons
+ Great in 1v1 Situations
+ Amazing Late Game
+ Not too Difficult to Play
+ Has an Aoe Stun
+ Split Pushes Extremely Well
+ When He Hits a Turret Over & Over The Ult Proc Sound Effect Is So Satisfying :)
- Can Be Hard to Play in Teamfights Especially if not Tanky
- Really Weak to Hard Crowd Control as it Ruins DPS Potential
- Has Somewhat of a Hard Time if gets Behind
- Takes Knowledge When it Comes to Using Abilities At Appropriate Times
- Imagine if He Had A Real Weapon
Choosing Two Summoner Spells
You can only choose two summoner spells when you play this game (basic knowledge). So choose wisely!! Make sure one will help you escape out of sticky situations and the second will help you in combat!!
- Smite is necessary if you are Jungling. If you don't take this you may have to back after camps way too often, wont be able to get a smite upgrade (since you can't buy Hunter's Machete w/ out Smite), plus you may end up dying too often. Please take it kids or you are a dummy!! :P
- I suggest taking Teleport if you plan on focusing on farming in lane, don't plan on killing your lane opponent that often, and trying to make plays across the map when your team needs you. This Summoner spell showed its power during season 5 for sure and even after the nerf I still find it to be the best choice For Top Lane Jax.
- Take Ignite if you plan on being really aggresive in lane and want to snowball hard to carry. A really good choice if there are champions such as Dr. Mundo, Zac, or Vladimir that rely on their healing a lot. Really good choice this season if you want to snowball and carry games!!
- Exhaust is good for cheesy first bloods or just turning a fight around completely and shutting down enemy hyper carries. If you see the enemy team has champions such as Master Yi, Vayne, or Kayle that have a strong late game, this is honestly a good choice to shut them down!
- Flash is the basic get away spell and I'm sure most of you know this. Jax is one of those champions who honestly doesn't need it as much as other champions due to his Leap Strike for getting away or gap closing. I still find it very useful on Jax because sometimes fighting in the jungle you will find yourself in sticky situations where you don't have wards in your inventory or an ally to jump to. Plus the extra distance to securing kills can be really helpful honestly so I still do recommend this.
- Ghost provides a good burst of movement speed for escaping or catching up to enemies. This comes in handy in a lot of situations and is on a very short cooldown. One of the downfalls, however, is that it isn't an instant escape/gap closer like Flash so it really depends on the team comp the enemy has overall for what you decide to take.
Before You get Started Watch This Video To Keep Up With The Best Up To Date Rune Setups!!
Rune Page Setup Example!
Greater Mark of Attack Damage
Greater Seal of Scaling Armor
Greater Glyph of Scaling Cooldown Reduction
Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist
Greater Quintessence of Attack Speed
Greater Mark of Hybrid Penetration
Attack Damage is an amazing stat on Jax as most of his damage is physical. This helps with early game clears, duels, and ganks.
Hybrid Penetration gixes Jax the ability to shred through resistances with his abilities and auto attacks. I do recommend these if you are looking to have a better late game with your core items!
Scaling Armor helps Jax more in the late game with resistances. Jax has a pretty good HP per level naturally so these are actually a great option. If you are looking for a better early game/laning phase i do recommend taking flat armor seals instead.
Scaling Health helps Jax in the late game with extra health tankiness, probably the best tank stat for Jax overall since Grandmaster's Might's active gives him armor and magic resist as he builds damage.
6 Scaling Cooldown Reduction Glyphs allows you to build only 30% more Cooldown Reductionfrom items to reach the max Cooldown needed. Very underrated stat on Jax and I definitely recommend putting Cooldown Reduction in most builds!
Scaling Magic Resist is a good option for Jax if you want extra tankiness and you aren't looking for the Cooldown Reduction. Really recommend going these if the enemy team has a lot of ap carry threats. If you want a better early game against magic damage take flat Magic Resist glyphs instead.
Scaling Ability Power if you are wanting to go HAM in the late game with an AP build :)
Attack Speed Quints are probably the best Quintessences for Jax to utilize. Recommend these for better Damage Per Second allowing Jax to get off more Grandmaster's Might Procs.
Attack Damage Quints are a good option if you are looking to do more damage on your Auto Attacks, Leap Strikes, or Counter Strikes :)
Ability Power Quints are good for STRAIGHT RAW BURST DAMAGE!! :D I recommend taking these if you plan on going AP Jax, otherwise they are still a good choice but I find Attack Speed or Attack Damage to work better for in most matchups for a standard Jax build :)
In This Video I Go Over The Best Mastery Setups Jax Can Use. I Will Be Working On This Section Of The Guide For Awhile & Post Pictures Of The Setups You Can Use!!
|Relentless Assault (passive): This is Jax's Passive ability that helps out with clearing the jungle as well as split pushing. Relentless Assault stacks up to 8 times is something you should try to keep track of when deciding to go in for a kill on the enemy. As the game goes on the attack speed continues to scale, making Jax a dps machine.|
Tips And Tricks
- Stacking this up on a tower or minions can help when you are about to go in for a kill on a champion.
- Empower & Titanic Hydra add a stack of Relentless Assault.
- Be careful when deciding to fight without any stacks in a teamfight. You will have to build up stacks on champions during the fight which can determine an outcome of a fight.
Tips And Tricks
- Use Leap Strike wisely, when you commit you are committed for awhile until it is off cooldown.
- You can combine Leap Strike with Empower for extra burst damage.
- Jax can Leap Strike to Ally Champions, Allied Minons, & Wards. Make sure to have some wards on you in case you get into sticky situations when your team is not around you.
|Empower (W): Jax's main dps ability. It provides really good magic damage and can reset your auto attack|
Tips And Tricks
- After auto attacking, Reset your auto attack with Empower on towers, minions, and champions.
- Empower can combine with Leap Strike as well as Grandmaster's Might for heavy damage output. Combine this ability with any Sheen Item for more devastating damage.
- When auto attacking a tower and resetting yout auto on it with empower auto attack a minion if there's one nearby. This puts the ability back on cooldown rather than having to wait for the buff to end.
|Counter Strike (E): This is Jax's Crowd Control ability for defensive and offensive purposes. It also enables Jax to dodge all incoming auto atacks and reduces damage from area of effect damage by 25% while active.|
Tips And Tricks
- You can use Counter Strike to stun opponents to escape out of situations before Leap Striking out. This helps create a bigger gap of distance when making a get away.
- You can activate Counter Strike early if you need to instantly stun someone. This can help with starting a fight or peeling for allies.
- Level one Trades in lane are usually really good with Counter Strike. You can cheese the opponent after soaking up enough damage from their minions & possibly get first blood.
- After auto attacking a jungle camp use this right before the auto attack from the monster hits you to have a healthier clear.
Tips And Tricks
- Activate Grandmaster's Might before going into a teamfight!! You gain resistances for 8 seconds.
- Combine the passive of Grandmaster's Might with Empower for devastating burst damage.
- The resistances scale off offensive stats, Magic Resist from Ability Power & Armor with Bonus Attack Damage. Keep this in mind when looking at the enemy composition as well.
CHANGE LEVEL UP SEQUENCE DEPENDING ACCORDING TO TEAM COMP/PLAYSTYLE
- Empower is Jax's main source of damage, which helps him out with clearing Jungle Camps faster and with duels, due to the low cooldown and the auto attack reset. This is usually what you want to max first.
- Leap Strike is your gap closer/escape ability. You could decide to max Leap Strike first for the shorter cooldown on the gap closer for ganks if you jungle or if against a ranged champion in lane and feel you need the shorter cooldown for trading easier.
- Counter Strike is Jax's defensive ability as well as crowd control ability. If you feel you need the shorter cooldown on the stun or if the enemy team has a lot of auto attacking threats, I would max this second in those scenarios.
- You should put a point in Grandmaster's Might whenever you can due to the extra armor and magic resist it gives with the active as well as the higher base damage with the passive proc every third auto attack. This ability alone gives Jax a massive power spike.
Item Choices Section
|Hunter's Machete helps with clear speed and sustain in the jungle. This defeats Hunter's Talisman since you will be auto attacking a lot in the jungle to help you sustain. Without this item you will have a hard time making it through the early clears, So I recommend always getting this first if you are jungling.|
|Refillable Potion is a solid choice for a cheap potion you can use throughout the game. Jax has a lot of sustain with his early clears due to his Counter Strike dodging Monster auto attacks. 3 Health Potions is fine as well but it doesn't make too much of a difference, unless you plan on ganking early.|
|Mercury's Treads are usually necessary for Jax since Crowd Control is one of his main weaknesses. Without Tenacity you usually find yourself a sitting duck in teamfights and can end up getting locked down. The Magic Resist it provides is pretty decent as well. Sadly, tenacity doesn't affect knockups or suppressions, so keep this in mind when looking at the enemy team composition for selecting booties.|
|Ionian Boots Of Lucidity are cheap and provide cooldown reduction for abilities & Summoner spells. Ever since the changes they made to these in Season 6, I found myself buying them more than normal. A shorter cooldown on Flash can help out with getting kills or getting out of sticky situations.|
|Ninja Tabi are good against team comps with heavy Attack Damage and Auto Attacking threats. I don't normally recommend these due to the fact that Counter Strike can help you enough in sticky situations. I do recommend getting these if you are having issues against the adc or any other auto attacking threat in the game.|
|Sorcerer's Shoes are good if you need magic penetration, but are one of the worst boot choices for Jax. I believe they are only good with Ability Power builds because 2/3's of Jax's damage is physical. If you do want extra burst with your Grandmaster's Might and Empower then they aren't so bad, otherwise no.|
Jungle Item Choices
|Bloodrazor should be built most of the time for jungle Jax. The only time I would recommend taking a different jungle item is if you need to be tanky for your team comp or your really behind|
|Cinderhulk is the go to choice if you are behind or need some tankiness.You can never go wrong with choosing this item on Jax.|
|Runic echoes provides Jax a lot more burst and mobility. You can't really go wrong with this item choice either since you have 3 pretty good AP Scaling Abilities. If you are not looking for more burst damage or your team comp is too filled with magic damage as it is then you probably should use a different enchantment.|
|Warrior provides some Cooldown Reduction & a good amount of Attack Damage. If you want to snowball the early-mid game more effectively then this item is not a bad choice. However, it does fall off which is not good for Jax since he scales into the late game, so consider replacing the enchantment with a different item later on in the game.|
|Trinity Force is considered to be a core item for Jax It provides him with all stats he can make use of as well as the Sheen Effect doing 200% of base damage. It synergizes so well with Jax because it gives him sticking power and well as a hard hitting auto attack with the Sheen proc. Combine this with Empower and you will deal loads of damage.|
|Iceborn Gauntlet provides good armor as well as a slow with 20% CDR. This is the best defensive Sheen item, but not the greatest on Jax compared to Trinity Force. If you are having a rough time, it is much cheaper than a Trinity Force & the utility it provides is not bad, so make the decision based off how the game is going.|
|Lich Bane provides the most burst out of all the Sheen items.The one downside to this item is you should build it with some Ability Power to get the most out of the damage it provides. For normal builds I would not use this.|
Core Sustain Items
|Hextech Gunblade is probably the best sustain item Jax could buy. The active is nice for sticking to targets and provides some more damage to your ability rotations. It also gives ability power, spell vamp, attack damage, & lifesteal which all synergize very well on Jax.|
|Blade Of The Ruined King works really well for Jax. The health shred got nerfed for season 6 but it still is pretty good. The current health damage and attack speed it provides allows you to shred through tanks a lot more effectively. You can't go wrong with this item although, Hextech Gunblade is probably the better option nowadays.(BUFFS COMING IN PATCH 6.23 WILL BE TESTING THEM ON PBE)|
|Ravenous Hydra provides good waveclear for Jax. I usually only recommend this for AD Assassin Jax, however if you are up against a tank in lane and want to proxy farm then it isn't a bad choice. Plus you can do some more combos with the active which is really nice. But yea this is mostly for AD Jax and it's core to playing it.|
|Youmuu's Ghostblade helps Jax with shredding targets and hunting them down. I consider this core on AD Jax because it provides more mobility, cooldown reduction, attack damage & armor pen. All of these stats are core to playing AD Jax so pick this up if you are using that build.|
|Infinity Edge is pretty busted on Jax with his load of dps of auto attacks. Imagine hitting a crit in your rotation of auto attacks.. well with Infinity Edge that becomes really scary due to the fact your crit damage is increased by 50%. I consider this pretty core for AD Jax as well|
|Phantom Dancer provides more dps and crit damage as well as some damage reduction. If you are looking for the crits, I recommend this as one of your core crit items after Infinity Edge and Trinity Force.|
|Lord Dominik's is necessary if the enemy team has a lot of tanks. If you don't have this for tanks then they will be a bit problematic in teamfights.|
|Mortal Reminder is good against high sustain champions. If the enemy has champions such as Vladimir, Dr. Mundo, & Zac then this item is worth buying and can help your team out a lot.|
|Death's Dance gives decent physical vamp as well as enemies damage turning into a bleed effect. If you are looking for some cooldown reduction then this is a item you may want to consider buying. Plus the Physical vamp works with your Counter Strike & Leap Strike as well as auto attacks so it is a solid choice!|
|Nashor's Tooth provides Cooldown Reduction, attack speed, on hit damage, and ability power. All of these stats compliment Jax really well so I consider this a core buy in most AP builds.|
|Rabadon's isn't a real necessary item for AP Jax. Yes it provides a lot of Ability Power, but sometimes it isn't necessary to have too much. Think about items you would need to handle the enemy team rather than buying this 100% of the time.|
|Luden's Echo provides good burst as well as more mobility. The idea behind AP Jax is having a lot more burst damage and being an AP Assassin. However, this item is not always necessary, build accordingly to the game.|
|With Rylais Crystal Scepter you can't go wrong. It provides a good slow, some good health bulk, as well as a good amount of ability power. I would say this is core but it really depends on the game, but i do recommend building this on AP Jax.|
|Rod Of Ages gives a lot of good stats you may need. It provides some good health and mana and a load of ability power, so I do recommend building this on AP Jax for more survivability.|
|Seraph's provides a good mana pool to let you use abilities more freely. I don't consider this core on AP Jax but it definitely is not a bad item so consider buying it!|
|Abyssal Scepter is the go to choice for Magic Resist in your AP Jax build. It provides some good utility for your team as well, reducing magic resist of nearby enemies, so your Empower & Grandmaster's Might will be hurting a lot more.|
|Sterak's is a staple item for good defense and offense for [Jax]]You can really go ham with this item so i recommend using it in a normal Jax build.|
|Frozen Mallet is probably one of the most underrated items in the game.It provides a good slow on basic attacks (which Jax applies really well] as well as giving Jax sticking power. You can't go wrong with the health and Attack Damage as well, so I really recommend using this item!|
|Titanic Hydra has shwon it's power on JaxThe Attack Damage,Health Bulk, And waveclear synergize well for Jax. You can also activate Titanic Hydra to auto attack reset and it gives you a stack of Relentless Assault.|
|Frozen Heart provides a load of armor and cooldown reduction.Buying this is usually not a bad idea since most comps have some Attack Damage. The passive attack speed slow aura is also pretty nice as well so you can't go wrong with this item.|
|Randuin's is the staple "screw crits" item. Good helath, a good amount of armor, and an active that slows down champions in an aoe. You can't go wrong with this.|
|Deadman's Plate is a good offensive defensive item choice. Provides mobility, a slow and extra damage on the next basic attack, and a good amount of armor and health bulk. You can't go wrong with this item!!|
|Thornmail= ADC's worst nightmare. If an auto attack hits you they will be taking some damage for hurting you so yea.. prickly thorns is not forgiving man and it's pretty good.|
|Spirit Visage gives Cooldown Reduction & Some Good Health With Magic Resist The sustain passive also synergizes well with lifesteal and spell vamp items so keep in mind if you have those items then building it would be good.|
|Banshee's is the best defensive Magic Resist choice. It provides the same amount of magic resist and health as Spirit Visage, but it also gives a spell shield which can make or break a death in the game.|
|Maw of Malmortius is a staple item against heavy magic damage comps.The Attack Damage, Armor Pen, And Shield it provides is nothing to scoff at. The passive is pretty beast as well when going really ham in a teamfight/duel.|
Other Defensive Items
|Guardian Angel is probably one of the best item choices Jax can choose from. Having a second life on a hyper carry is pretty scary so... bow down and respect him when he has this. Be prepared for the buff in patch 6.5!!|
The Not So God Tier Item
|Guinsoo's was pretty staple on Jax. Did I realize this item would so broken if it was added to the game?!? I didn't think it would be that broken.. but it is. Not so much anymore though (RIP PATCH 6.9) This item is still decent on Jax though, but the changes were still pretty harsh; price increased, Removed scaling ap and ad on hit, gave it the phantom hit passive but only when you reach 6 stacks, and on top of that the build path is really bad. I'm not sure if I would recommend buying this item early now until you have finished some items to synergize with it more. Otherwise rushing this is a waste of time.(BUFFS COMING IN PATCH 6.23 WILL BE TESTING THEM ON PBE)|
Farming With Purple Jesus
Farming is probably the most important thing to do with Jax. Yes kills are very nice and all but did you know every 15 cs advantage is = to one kill? Basically if you aren't csing properly the game is going to be much harder for you since you wont be able to get to your core items sooner for your important power spikes, which Jax is quite dependent on! Plus I'm sure you guys know that Trinity Force is one of the most expensive items in the game.. so yea farming is actually key to your victory!!
In This Video I Show You Guys What You Should Do In Some Matchups When It Comes To Trading And Getting Creep Farm!!!
-Try not to push the wave to their tower unless you will miss a cs if you dont use an ability
-Focus on last hitting with your auto attacks rather than your abilities if you can so that you can trade in lane easier
-Freeze the lane whenever you can to put pressure on the enemy top laner having him/her over extended
-If you are under tower:
1. Let turret hit melee minons twice then last hit.
2. Auto attack prep the caster minons once, let tower hit them once, then auto attack them again.
3. If your minon wave pulls up to the enemy minon wave it gets pretty tricky, so try using your abilities to secure last hits if you can!
Video For Top Side Jungle Clear:
Video For Bottom Side Clear:
Thank you all for reading this guide!! :D
I just wanted to share my thoughts on my main champion Jax and why he is an AMAZING pick! He truly is one of the most fun champions to play in my opinion due to his high amount of mixed damage and his mysterious background!
I do believe I have a lot more editing to do and some more things to add on to this! If you guys wish you can comment on this and leave your Jax scores and I will give you a Shoutout and Post it in a Fan Section Chapter! :)
Votes and Comments will help this guide out a lot!! I believe I have done pretty well making my first mobafire guide!
If you have any questions feel free to ask in the comment section!!
Jax Coaching Available
- Tell Me Your Summoner Name So I can Search the game on Replay.gg or Send me a Youtube video of the gameplay!!(Via Twitter/Youtube)
- Show Me The Runes & Masteries You Used For That Game
- Tell me the Style Of your Gameplay ( Example Being Passive, Aggresive, Roam a lot, farm a lot, split push?)
- Check out the video on my Youtube channel, it will be posted after awhile!!
I plan on spreading my builds across the board with numerous champions so you guys can understand stats I feel are underrated and not used enough on certain champions as well as giving you more knowledge about the champions themselves for now feel free to check out the other guides I have created (currently one on my favorite kitty Rengar)
Work in Progress Guides
To Keep Updated With Me Click On The Links Below To Follow Me On My Pages!!! The More Support The Better!! :)
-Facebook: Dunk Master Jax