Shaco Build Guide by smackdatmonkaay
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Learning Shaco - the first step
I typically play shaco as a jungler, therefore I usually take teleport/Smite or exhaust/smite. However, not everyone enjoys being a jungler, so for this guide I recommended teleport/exhaust.
For the runes, I take all damage since we will not be focusing too much on crit% with IE/PD build.
Mastery page is also typical for a pure AD, but if you have question about it, feel free to post comment.
For skill sequence, I get JITB first for the golem buff. In order to secure a kill at golem, you would need to lay down at least 4 - 5 JITB by the 1:55 mark. I'd get JITB to lvl 3 before getting the ultimate spell at lvl 6. Reason for this is because JITB is a great tool for farming. Next I would level Deceive and Shiv interchangeably until each is maxed out, JITB would be maxed out last.
It might seem perplexing at first, but the explanation should clear any doubt.
1. cloth armor + 5 hp pot for junglers. If you are laning you might want to consider a boot of speed + 3 hp pot. health potions are extremely important for new players at shaco.
2. madred's razor if you have already gotten boots. reason for this item? easier for farming and the red buff.
3. mana crystal - new players will constantly find themselves running out of mana fast with shaco, and this is quiet important at low levels. This will later be made into a "Sheen".
4. boots of mobility - movement speed is critical for shaco who happens to be a ganker, I wouldn't consider any other boots to be appropriate.
5. sheen - With this item made, ganking is now a potent profession for shaco players. More details shall be explained.
6. Avarice blade - A coin generator, 5g per 10 seconds. This items will later be build into Youmuu's.
7. Youmuu's ghostblade - this is your first major item. I will dedicate an entire section for this item.
8. Guardian Angel - It's for that "Oh cr@p, he is stronger than I thought!" situation.
you should have the above items build before you reach level 18 or the 40th minute
9. Madred' Bloodrazor + Tri-Force - HUGE late game damage boost.
10. that 6th spot is left empty for wards/pots/elixirs
Youmuu's Ghostblade - Keybinding 101
If you are not accustomed to keybinding items, then this would be a great opportunity for you to learn. After purchasing Youmuu's ghostblade, look into your inventory and acknowledge which item slot it is in. The first row is assigned number 1 ,2 and 3 while the second row is 4, 5 and 6. Then press the ESC key and click "key binding" and scroll down to "use item #" and assign that button as your "space bar". Space bar is a very convenient key to press unlike 1-6.
never engage in a teamfight like you would with Jax/Akali, but this doesn't mean you should avoid teamfight.
During a teamfight, hide in a bush/area nearby. When the teamfight proceeds halfway(when 4/5 of their team are down to half health and such), begin to approach your enemies from the BEHIND and strike the one with the lowest HP.
NOTE: never fight another champion with full health unless you have a DECISIVE advantage
Scenario: a Wild Olaf has appeared at the red buff
1. deceive behind your opponent
2. strike your enemy behind with a right click (2x)
3. place down a JITB away from the red buff monster so that when it does activates, it actually attacks your enemy and not the monster.
5. space bar to activate Youmuu's (2x) - this will grant you 30% movement speed and bonus attack + crit chance
2x - indicate your next autoattack will activate sheen/tri-froce's passive.
How this build actually works
Instead of relying on the generic AD item - PD + IE, this build counters those champion with emergency backup plan such as Olaf/Nasus/Renekton abilities that grants them bonus HP/Ability with their ultimate. On paper , this build might seems overshadowed with its lacklustrous damage of merely 240 at level 18. However thanks to shaco's ultimate, Youmuu's ghostblade, Sheen's passive effect and the powerful bloodrazor that shaves 4% of your opponent's max HP with every attack(which turns into 8% when combined with your clone), for a short duration, shaco's damage output outnumbers any champion with any build within the price range.
In summary let's calculate its cost
Boots of mobility = 1000g
Sheen = 1260g
Madred's Bloodrazor = 3800g
Youmuu's ghostblade = 2687g
(for this purpose we will not count G.A. as it is not the main contributor for damage output)
total = 8747g