Azir Build Guide by Iknoscott
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
We recommend you take a look at this author's other builds.
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Azir Standard Build
Optional 6th Item
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Threats to Azir with this build
|Fizz||Fizz can hop around, stop you from farming, and make life hell for you. He is easy to deal with in team fights.|
Introduction to the Author: The Boring ****
Hello everybody! First of all, let me start out by saying that if you are here reading this, thank you very much! I've been working on this guide for a while, and it has taken quite a bit of time and dedication.
Now a little about me, My summoner name is Heimerrdingerr, I main a special type of mid lane, ap carry champions called "Minion-Mancers". I play Heimerdinger (My Guide for Heimerdinger can be found Here), Zyra (No Guide for her yet), and, of course, Azir. I hope this guide will help you understand the basics of playing, enjoying, and maybe even mastering Azir.
Why play this champion?
|Azir is a fairly strong champion, with an incredibly WEAK early game and an incredibly STRONG late game. He is a awe-some power on the battlefield. His ability to control zones, wave clear, and siege is unmatched if played correctly.
So lets get started!
|+ The best range of any AP carry
+ Great wave clear with W, and great turret damage with W
+ Amazing CC with knock back from R, and knock up from E
+ Provide your own peel for yourself
|Azir has the best late game of any AP carry. There is no discussing this. He can not be stopped if you have a solid early game, or if you survive in to the later portions of the game. He can peel for himself as well, making it almost impossible to kill him if you are positioning correctly. If you master positioning, kiting with your E, and proper timing of your ultimate, the Rift is yours to dominate!|
|- Terrible early game
- Can be hard to cs early if you aren't really good at it
- Making simple mistakes can often lead to you getting killed
- If you get behind, or get camped, there isn't much you can do
|Due to the massive scaling of his abilities, your late game is considerably stronger than your early game. You will often be in situations where if you were another champion with kill potential early, you could clean up, this is not the case with our Emperor. Also, getting caught out with our emperor means you're dead, no ifs, ands, or butts about it, one mistake can make the difference between you living, getting a penta-kill, or even winning the game. Also, in order to function to his max ability, you need to get a solid 2 or 3 items to start doing some serious damage, this can be hard, considering Azir hits like a Japanese Koi-fish early game!|
Before you Dive in, this is what your setup should look like:
- Greater Quintessence of Gold: The early game is usually so bad for me with Azir that I feel the need to take these to speed up the item getting process, these with Spellthief's Edge make advancing to the later game that much easier.
- Greater Mark of Magic Penetration: Average for an AP carry, this lets you hit harder.
- Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist: Stops a majority of the poking abilities, allows you to stay in fights longer.
- Greater Seal of Mana Regeneration: You burn through so much mana regeneration, that these are almost always needed to be able to have any effect early game in lane. They allow you to safely farm.
Ability Information/Tips and Tricks
Increases your Attack Speed based on your CDR, and summons a turret. For every 1 percent CDR you have, you get 1.25 attack speed. At max CDR, you will have 50 percent additional attack speed. The other half of this passive allows you to summon a turret at the base of where a turret used to be. For example, if a turret were to get destroyed, you could right click it to summon another temporary turret.
- Allows you to scale really well once you have your CDR items.
- Disc of the Sun is great for if you decide to push and don't want to ward (The typical league player doesn't like to ward).
Source of all of your damage.
This ability allows you to deal damage. You summon a soldier with W, then you auto attack, and that is the gist of playing Azir. Using this ability allows you to use your Q and your E.
- These soldiers deal area damage in a straight line.
- Auto attack a minion that is within the radius of the sand soldier and you can hit enemies outside of the hit box.
- Positioning these soldiers is key to winning as Azir.
Dashes one of your soldiers in a straight line
This ability is used to reposition the soldiers you summon with your W. Any enemies hit in the path of this ability are damaged and take a 30 percent slow for 1 second.
- This is great for keeping range in team fights.
- The slow works in synchronization with Liandry's Torment.
Dashes you to the sand soldier you click on.
This ability is used to move around on the battle field.
- Can use your Q, then use your E to cover more distance (If you get really good with Azir, you can even use your E, then while you are traveling use your Q to cover even MORE distance!).
- Do not waste this, as the cool down is rather long compared to the rest of his abilities, and you have no means of escape besides this.
- You can use this ability to get over walls, and other obstacles you could not normally get around/through.
Summons a Wall of soldiers.
These soldiers that are summoned have a shield equipped, as opposed to a lance, and prevent your enemy from getting through it unless they flash. Your teammates get a speed bonus for going through this shield.
- You can use this to prevent an enemy from stealing dragon, by blocking them out.
- You can trap enemies in tight corners, allowing you to escape, or finish them off.
- The knock-back on this ability allows you to cancel Teleport, Karthus ultimates, and other channeling abilities.
Dash in the direction you are pointing to. This ability is required on Azir. You lack the mobility otherwise, and this can often be the difference between dying and feeding, and living and NOT feeding.
Heals you. This is my go-to second summoner spell for Azir, next to flash, of course. This heals you, and an ally around you for up to 345 health, and gives you 30 percent movement speed. However, the effect is reduced by 50 percent for each consecutive heal used after the first.
Makes your opponent weaker. This ability is a great second option. It slows the enemy, decreases their armor and magic resistance by 10, and cuts their damage by 40 percent. If you want to replace heal with this, be my guest.
Ignites the target, dealing true damage. This is the worst summoner spell in the game for Azir. Seriously, you should take Cleanse before you take ignite. The reason being is that you have to be way to far away in order for this ability to have any major effect, and getting in range can cause you to take unnecessary damage.
Teleports you to an allied turret or minion. This ability is my second option on Heimerdinger, but isn't best for our Emperor because he lacks the snowballing you get from Teleporting early in the game for a free kill. Also, its not as useful late game, as you can't use it to survive in fights and get off damage.
Your main priority for early game is to stay alive. You need to average about 60-70 creep score per 10 minutes in order to be ready for mid/late game. With the rune set up I've provided, you should have no problem achieving Morellonomicon, Nashor's Tooth, and Sorcerer's Shoes by the start of mid game (20 minutes).
- Follow my purchase order to the letter. I've spent a lot of time in solo-q developing the best build possible, and this build seems to be the best currently. This allows you to get a large amount of passive gold, do some in lane poking, and most importantly stay rejuvenated and safe.
- Ask your team to not go for dragons before 15 minutes. If they try to go for dragons, and you don't have the items you need to be useful they may be upset at you.
- Use your W when you are being pressured to farm, walk up as if you were going to last hit, place the soldier, back up, and last hit safely. THIS IS THE BEST WAY TO FARM PASSIVELY, YOU WILL HAVE AN EASY TIME EARLY GAME FOLLOWING THIS TIP RIGHT HERE!
- Try to take at least one turret down in the early game, the ~150 gold that you receive helps significantly in getting your items.
- Make sure you try to focus the Marksman on their team, or the AP carry
- Use your Emperor's Divide ultimate ability to peel for yourself and the other carry.
- Don't forget about your items like Zhonya's Hourglass if you have it! It can save your life.
- Avoid using your E in team fights for aggression. This can help you get out of sticky situations if you are ever to get caught.