Shyvana Build Guide by Legendarsreign
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
___Wait? Did you say "Carry?" Most certainly yes! Shyvana has wonderful comeback ability with this build if your game isn't going well, and it gets worse for the enemy if your doing well. I've played her from the moment she came out and the more I play her the more I realize that she seems to take on the role of Carry with this build more often, and this build as won me a lot of games I would otherwise think were nearly impossible. I have added jungling sections for Shyvana although with the jungle changes I am no longer certain of how practical the build is, I prefer to solo top with her. Due to Hahano's definition of a jungler: "a jungler is someone who can reliably perform the duties of a jungler without altering their item or skill builds." jungling items are the same.
(for any abbreviations you don't understand)
Awesome formatting learned from jhoijhoi's guide Making a Guide.
INTRODUCTION VIDEO USING MY BUILD: 13-1-5
Recent Patches and Updates
Fiora Patch Preview
Most Recent Patch
Nautilus Patch Preview
- As Phreak said, her Q is an auto-attack reset. It also procs all on-hit effects (hello Wriggle's Lantern). Use this to your advantage in the jungle.
- Your ultimate is like Skarner’s in that the more you attack, the faster it comes back. This helps a lot when you’re going to perform a gank and can then clear the jungle for a fast cooldown. Where this starts to hurt is in the later game where there is not much to attack, so use it wisely late game and liberally early game.
- When going to gank, use Burnout after you’re very close to the enemy. It is your only movespeed buff and lasts longer when you are hitting someone. This also gives them an opportunity to blow Flash early, letting you flash after them, Exhaust and activate for the full damage and speed available.
- Use your ultimate to surprise people! If you’re counter jungling and have seen the enemy jungler through Clairvoyance or a sight ward, fly over the wall at them. This will not only make them **** themselves in panic, but gives you damage right off the bat.
- Red buff is infinitely more important than Blue buff on her. Give blue away as often as possible, but never give away your red and never let it get taken from you. Shyvana without red buff is a joke most times, but with it is completely scary.
- Run! Shyvana is really nasty when she can hit you and runs into trouble with that part. A well timed or placed Flash or Ghost will get you out of trouble fast.
- Keep in mind her damage output and tankiness. When she is in dragon form she will most likely kill you way before you kill her.
- She is really hard to counter jungle, however her ganks aren’t amazing. Take advantage of this by ganking lanes and securing victory there.
- When positioning for a teamfight, remember that she does really well when a group stands and fights. Try to put together a team comp or strategy where you will bait out her ultimate and then have the resulting fight elsewhere.
- She has no sustain and no ranged poke. When laning against her or gearing up for a teamfight, remember that she can’t do anything but literally fly into your team.
This allows for CC in every lane and a really strong teamfight with Shyvana soaking up a lot of the damage. Gragas helps against kiting comps by blowing them back at you and Taric helps immobilize someone.
>Good against: People who like fighting her
>Bad against: People who don’t like fighting her.
This section was taken from Hahano's guide Who is your jungler and what does he do?, however, the banner was created by me :)
There are just better spell choices than this.
Once again.... there are just better spell choices than this.
Burnout is her Ghost basically.
Greater Mark of Desolation Greater Mark of Desolation
Originally I played Shyvana with Greater Mark of Attack Speed, but I feel that ArP is a more efficient rune choice.
Greater Seal of Resilience
I changed this rune from Greater Seal of Attack Damage because I felt she needed more survivability, because a dead DPS character = No DPS
Greater Glyph of Warding
Since her MR is soooo low, I use these glyphs to help defend against heavy AP teams.
Greater Quintessence of Strength
More AD = More kills = "/dance"
Optional Rune Adjustment
I've played Shyvana enough times to know that sometimes even with the MR that she has, sometimes, it's just not enough. So, if you want some more survivability grab this instead.
Greater Quintessence of Warding
For the MR.
"The Best Defense is a Good Offense"
Tier 1: Summoner's Wrath reduces MR and Armor when you Exhaust your enemies, this synchronizes well with Frozen Mallet to help kill enemies quicker when you catch up to them. Brute Force simply adds to your AD.
Tier 2: Alacrity , I will repeat this many times... Shyvana needs AS, it improves her passive giving her multiple bonuses. Sorcery improves her CDR, the faster you can get your abilities back, the faster you can kill your opponents, which.. HEY! That goes well with a champion who's passive improves her CDR and gets better when she has more AS.. XD
Tier 3: Weapon Expertise gives +10% ArP, combine this with Youmuu's Ghostblade, Greater Mark of Desolation, Summoner's Wrath , AND Sunder and you have a heck of a lot of ArP. This forces your opponent to grab some Armor or enjoy walking around with no armor or sometimes going negative giving you increased AD. Havoc gives you increased AD :)
Tier 4: Vampirism gives you more LS, since you don't have any at the beginning I throw this in there to help give some more survivability early game. This also gives you 23% LS with Zeke's Herald by mid game.
Tier 5: Sunder :) See Tier 3
Tier 6: Executioner gives more AD but it's more helpful than that, when they drop below 40% health you do 6% more AD! This helps reduce the time you need to be near your target to kill them. REMEMBER that when attacking champions, even if your both low, you will start dealing more damage towards the end.
Tier 1: I threw in Resistance to give her some more MR on top of the Greater Glyph of Magic Resist. Hardiness is there to give her more Armor. Since Shyvana is a built to be aggressive, I want to make sure she is alive long enough to be aggressive.
Tier 2: Vigor gives her increased HP5 which adds to the LS we gave her, that way in those moments while your traveling or backing off for a moment, you will be ready for the next battle.
EXPLANATION FOR 3RD BUILD ALTERNATIVE
NOTE: ONLY GRAB IONIAN BOOTS OF LUCIDITY IF YOUR USING MY 3RD BUILD
NOTE: ONLY GRAB THE BLACK CLEAVER IF YOUR USING MY 3RD BUILD
3500/100 = 35 (This gives me 1% of my total health)
35 * 2 = 70 AD
LATE LATE GAME
NOTE: IF USING 3RD BUILD, DO NOT REPLACE BOOTS WITH THIS!
This increases AS dramatically and increases you critical chance thus increasing the DPS!
Also ensure to continually grab:
Jungle Monsters - A Quick Overview
Before we begin jungling, we definitely must know the basics.
As you improve your jungling and become a better player, these spawn times are very important to know if you want to perfect your jungling and counter-jungling. Keep these spawn timers in mind when you play.
Initial Spawn: 1:40 Respawn Time: 1:00
Initial Spawn: 1:55 Respawn Time: 5:00
The Big Cheeses
Initial Spawn: 2:30 Respawn Time: 6:00
Initial Spawn: 15:00 Respawn Time: 7:00
(I also give credit to this guide: Haunting the Jungle - Nightmare Style for taking this section to add to my guide)
2) Second, I head to the Wraiths, use smite on the biggest blue wraith, this should give you a level up, immediately level Twin Bite.
3) Thirdly, Go to the Golems, you are free at this point to use whatever abilities you have to kill them, repeat steps 1-3 until you have enough to buy Madred's Razors.
4) Now you have choices, either continue to jungle until level 7 and then gank, gank early if necessary, or cover a lane while your teammates back or have died.
___I have also marked areas of escape OR areas of initiation either by using Flash or by using Dragon's Descent. Be weary of using Burnout after you have casted your ult to escape over terrain as the trail of fire left behind will lead them to you.
Twin Bite - Reduces the cooldown by 0.5 seconds.
Burnout - Extends the duration by 1 second to a maximum of 6 seconds.
Flame Breath - Deals 15% of the ability's damage to debuffed targets.
Dragon's Descent - Attacks generate 2 Fury and Shyvana passively gains Fury over time while in human form.
Dragon Form: Twin Bite cleaves all units in front Shyvana.
Dragon Form: Burnout scorches the earth, continuing to damage enemies that stand on it.
Dragon Form: Flame Breath engulfs all units in a cone in front of her.
Passive: Shyvana reinforces her scales, increasing her Armor and Magic Resist by 15/20/25. Defensive bonuses are doubled in Dragon Form.
- This spell is best used right after an AA, keep in mind her passive increases the CDR on this the more AA's you get in.
- SPAM this spell as often as possible
- An amazing ability giving you great versatility in its use
- Use it to catch up with enemies and to get away from enemies
- Great Farming ability!
- While Dragon's Descent is active Burnout leaves a trail of fire, I often jump over the top of the enemy with my ult with Burnout on creating AoE Damage that affects there whole team.
- Harasser tool which lowers the armor and does damage.
- Cast this before you attack, so your AA's do more damage
- When you cast your ult its important to either morph so that it brings them closer to your teammates or the tower, I often cast this with Burnout on to ensure AoE damage on top of the damage from her Ult.
- This ability is like a second Flash, it allows you to get away from enemies leaving a trail of fire if Burnout is activated, it also allows you to morph over terrain catching up to enemies or cutting them off.
- Keep in mind that you should save this ability for team battles and ganking, I wouldn't recommend using it 1v1.
I will be revising this as new patches come out so check back!
Hope you enjoy destroying everything with Shyvana and I hope you enjoyed my guide, please let me know if you see any spelling mistakes or mechanics errors!
The game I went negative I played with aweful team-mates, the other one I lost we were just simply out-played.
Q: How do you justify getting Infinity Edge with your only other critical item being Youmuu's Ghostblade? Why not swap for The Bloodthirster? -techmarine123
A: Infinity Edge gives me 50% more critical damage.
"All champions begin with +100% bonus damage on a critical strike." - Quoted from LoL Wiki
So this means I would be doing 150% bonus damage on a critical strike... basically meaning I'm doing 250% of my normal basic attack.
My max dps with this build is 282.
282 * 2.5 = 705
So I have a 40% chance to deal 705 DPS instead of 282.
NOT INCLUDING Twin Bite which I could crit on as well.
Compared to The Bloodthirster:
Now I would end up with 302 Dps base attack damage plus the LS(with all the benefits, which is nice, but I lose the 50% crit damage increase and 25% chance to deal a critical strike, so now I deal 200% damage on a critical.
Okay now let's compare with bloodthirster.
302 * 2 = 604
I have a 15% Chance to deal 604 DPS.
While 40% isn't nearly as good on me as say Ashe it is enough to make the difference in a fight. The only reason I would grab The Bloodthirster instead is if I was fighting against someone like Tryndamere or Sion.
Q: Why Madred's and not Wit's End?
A: I see a lot of people loading up on MR on Shyvana all the time, without considering something... her passive Dragon's Descent says: "Passive: Shyvana reinforces her scales, increasing her Armor and Magic Resist by 15/20/25. Defensive bonuses are doubled in Dragon Form." Okay, so we know that her passive makes her have increased MR and Armor. I do include in my guide that Wit's End is a great alternative item if they go AP heavy, as well as Mercury's Treads. I don't discount that they are great anti-AP items, but why do I rush Madred's Bloodrazor? Okay, just for the sake of argument, let's say I'm level 8, with greaves and madred's, I played solo top this game, and I'm playing against Morgana.
Morgana's Health with catalyst at level 8 is 1391.
Shyvana's base damage at level 8 is 82, with madred's it's 112.
Okay here comes my calculations(I rounded down for simplicity's sake):
See this page: How is Armor Calculated? for how I calculated armor. Magic Resistance works the same way.
Morgana's Armor = 45 at level 8, Flame breath reduces this to 38.25
100/(100+38.25) = .72%
My AD only deals 72% of base AD because of her armor.
Her MR is at 30
100/(100+30) = .77%
My MD only deals 77% of base MD because of her Magic Resistance.
(ARMOR AND MR IS CALCULATED IN)
Very first strike: 87.84 AD + 4% of 1391HP(42.84 roughly) = 1260.32HP left(doesnt seem like much yet)
Flame Breath deals 80 MD
1260.32HP - 61.6MD = 1198.72HP
1198.72HP - 70.84 DPS(as MD) from Burnout = 1127.88 HP after one second of damage.
She now has 1127.88 HP
SECOND STRIKE: 131.04AD from Twin Strike + 42.84(madred's) = 953.92HP Left
ASSUMING I was able to get all 9 seconds of Burnout damage in(because of her passive) including the MD of Madred's and my base AD
8 more seconds of MD(70.84 per/s) = 566.72 Damage
953.92HP - 566.72 = 387.2HP left
130.68 per/s from base AD and Burnout * 3(3 seconds) = 392.04 Damage
Morgana dies after me being near her for 5-6 seconds, not including her shield she throws up or friendly champions attacking her, etc.
Alright now here's the same calculation with Wit's End.
She starts with 1391HP(just to remind you)
(ARMOR AND MR IS CALCULATED IN)
Very first strike: 66.24 AD + 32.34 MD(wits end) = 1292.42HP left
Flame Breath deals 80 MD(without MR factored in)
1292.42HP - 61.6MD = 1230.82HP
1230.82HP - 70.84 DPS(as MD) from Burnout = 1159.98 HP after one second of damage.
She now has 1159.98 HP(wits end), with Madred's she had 1127.72 HP(not a significant difference yet)
SECOND STRIKE: 114.19AD from Twin Strike + 32.34 MD(wits end) = 1013.45HP Left
ASSUMING I was able to get all 9 seconds of Burnout damage in(because of her passive) including the MD of Wit's end and my base AD
8 more seconds of MD(70.84 per/s) = 566.72 Damage
1127.72 HP - 566.72 = 446.73HP left
492.9 Damage from AD from 5 attacks.
This time it took me roughly 9-10 seconds to kill Morgana, which is a significant damage difference from Madred's Bloodrazor.
11/14/2011 - Guide Created
11/14/2011 - Combat Techniques section added, Skills section changed, minor edits made
11/15/2011 - Added "LATE LATE GAME" section to Items, Intro edited, Build Name Changed
11/16/2011 - Changed Summoner spells section, switched Ignite to Exhaust, Mastery Trees Updated
11/17/2011 - Updated "Summoner Spells" section
11/18/2011 - Guide layout re-vamped, Summoner spells section re-vamped, "Legend" added to intro, video added to Combat Techniques
11/21/2011 - Added secondary Jungling build and added 3 new "Jungling" sections, added another in-depth video to "Combat Techniques"
11/22/2011 - Updated map in "Jungling Paths" section, added wards; Ninja Tabi added as alternative in both item build sections; added "Updates" section
11/24/2011 - Renamed "Pros/Cons" section to "Shyvana", new section incorporated from another guide
11/25/2011 - Updated "Summoner Spells" section
11/30/2011 - Added Personal Banner to "Shyvana" section
12/11/2011 - "Runes" section re-vamped, a couple formatting changes, "Jungling Items" section removed, secondary item build changed.
12/13/2011 - Added 3rd build alternative for Shyvana, "Primary Items" section edited, Jungle spawn timers updated, other minor edits
12/14/2011 - Added Intro Video illustrating my build, Added Thornmail as an alternative item
12/16/2011 - Changed Runes
12/19/2011 - Added a new section "Champions - Good/Bad Against"
12/22/2011 - Added a new section "Masteries"
12/29/2011 - "Champions - Good/Bad Against" section champions were edited
01/15/2012 - Added a "Recent Patches and Updates" section, updated the order of the item build, "Updates" section removed, replaced with "FAQ" section.
1/20/2012 - Removed "Champions - Good/Bad Against" Section until I finish re-vamping it, changed Berserker's Greaves to Mercury's Treads on first two builds, Wit's End replaced Madred's Bloodrazor on 3rd build, alternatives changed.
2/21/2012 - Updated Items due to "Stark's Fervor" changing to "Zeke's Herald"