Shyvana Build Guide by
Not Updated For Current Season
Not Updated For Current Season
Shyvanna comes down with a Rawr!
A brief introduction and description:
Shyvana the newest addition to the league is a half-human half dragon champion who can transform into a dragon for a brief moment when her "Rage Bar" fills. She is a melee fighter that excels in both 1 vs 1 fights and also in team fights making her a very good solo top choice, even able to lane against a Tryndamere with a heal and an ult and surviving through it (assuming you are both level 6 with the same item from start, or at least with this build you will).
Also she is a very flexible champion which can fulfill different roles like Jungling, Off-tank, hybrid, melee-dps carry etc. However I find that the most useful way to build her is as a tanky damage who initiates team fights. With this build you survive through out most team fights enabling you to cause massive all around damage and still live.
There are two rune set up page I use for Shyvana, one for jungling and the other for laning, however I find that you can use the laning runes for jungling too to make your ganks more powerful.
My Laning Rune Set Up:
Quints:x3 = + 6.75 attack damage
Glyphs:x9 = + 24 magic resist at level 18
Seal:x9 = + 13 armor
Mark: x 3 = + 3 attack damage
and x 6 = + 10 armor penetration.
I chose this rune setup for the +10 attack damage and + 10 armor penetration, the armor and magic resist makes a good addition to her ultimate's passive at level 6. This gives you an edge for one vs one at top and I run this set up for almost all my melee bruisers. Also works for jungle, in fact sometimes it lives me with more HP this way.
Jungle Rune Set Up:
Quints:x 3 = 6.75 attack damage
Glyphs:x 9 = + 6% attack speed
Seal:x 9 = 7% dodge
Mark: x 3 = + 3 attack damage
and x 6 = 10% attack speed.
I choose to have dodge and attack speed for my jungling page to utilize Shyvana's passive, making my Q and E very effective for jungling. If you are gonna lane top and you know your enemy is not that much of a hard hitter, or if you are building attack speed DPS, you could also use this set up. Usually I run this for lane when I have a tanky team, then I build wriggles, black cleaver and wits end. More info about the builds later on.
I know my mastery pages are a little bit non-standard but they work for me.
I fix my mastery so that they could mix and balance with my rune page set up but this is something you have to try for your self to verify and besides as long as you put half your points into defensive then you should be fine.
My Laning Set Up:
9 - 20 - 1 : Taking Exhaust and magic penetration in offensive; Filling up Dodge, Health and Bonus AP/AS in the defensive tree and finally getting that ghost from the utility tree.
9 - 21 - 0 : also works too but I don't really see the need for that 4% less damage specially when your Ult doubles your armor and such.
** 21 - 8 - 1 : Only tried this once but it seems viable, always left me with little hp or dead after fights tho so I prefer sticking to my defensive tree.
Jungle Set Up:
1 - 18 - 11 : Getting the Smite and the extended Jungle Buff duration is the main focus of this mastery.
21 - 0 - 9 : Also works for a fast jungle but usually leaves you not much hp after completing a route to make room for a gank.
Exhaust and Ghost are the Ideal SS for Shyvana.
Exhaust together with your Burst damage and Over Time damage wrecks ANYONE one vs one. Like I mentioned before I've completely dominated top against Tryndamere(s) in 3 different games with the help of Exhaust. Spinning Garen? No problem get him to about 60% health and once he starts spinning again Exhaust then combo.
Ghost over flash and why is that? Using my core build for Shyvana (Sunfire Cape, Force of Nature and Trinity Force) along with her W ability (+ movement speed) you can get away from anything and anyone, Ghost just ensures that you do and you will at great speed! I also choose ghost because it is good for chasing and what not.
I don't really recommend Ignite over Exhaust but if you absolutely need to take it, I would rather lose ghost over exhaust. Take it only when the other team have champs like Swain, Warwick and other crazy sustain champs. If you are gonna use ignite you might as well take the ignite mastery to increase your ap bonus.
Skills, The way of the Dragons
Fury of the Dragon Born (Passive) : Shyvana's melee attacks enhances her abilities: Twin Bites - reduces cooldown by 0.5 second for each hit; Burnout - increases duration by 1 second for a maximum of 6 seconds; Flame Breath - Deals 20% of the ability's damage to debuffed enemies; Dragon's Descent - attacks generate 2 fury and Shyvana passively regains fury over time while in human form.
Basically this passive makes Shyvana an excellent melee fighter and why most people try to build her attack speed.
Twin Bite: (Q) : Shyvana strikes twice on her next attack. The second attack will deal 80 / 85 / 90 / 95 / 100 physical damage +% of attack damage. Both attacks trigger On-Hit effects and Fury of the Dragonborn effects.
Dragon Form: Twin Bite cleaves all units in front of Shyvana. Each unit hit will be dealt on-hit effects and grant Fury twice.
This ability is good for Jungling and for proc-ing on hit effects, however I max this last whenever I lane because you are better off maxing Flame breath over this (damage output wise). Imagine using Flame breath rank 5 at an opponent causing instant 260 something damage followed by an auto attack and twin bite (3 auto attacks basically) which procs Shyvanna's passive into dealing an additional 20% of 260 damage times 3 which should be around 160, lets not forget your auto attack also deals about - say 110 at the time - then you just easily dealt over 600 damage in one combo. Now imagine if you maxed Twin Bite first leaving Flame breath at rank 1, you'll do 80 damage from flame's breath, 20% of which is only at 16 damage, I mean sure you have 3 full auto attacks worth but your damage will probably be at 400 tops (assuming you have the same attack damage as earlier).
I only max this second when I am jungling for faster jungle times, otherwise max last.
Burn out W: During the next 3 seconds, Shyvana will deal 25 / 40 / 55 / 70 / 85 (+0.2 per bonus attack damage) magic damage each second to nearby enemies and her movement speed will be greatly increased by 30 / 35 / 40 / 40 / 50%. Shyvana's movement speed bonus itself will be reduced multiplicatively by 15% for every second that passes.
Dragon Form: Shyvana now scorches the earth where she walks, leaving a trail of fire for 5 seconds that will continually deal magic damage to enemies that pass over it.
AHHHH Shyvana's Bread and Butter all around skill! This ability is what made me fall for shyvana, low cool down, long duration, speed boosting and bruiser melting shyvana! I always start Shyvana with this ability, no exception and always max it first. At rank 5 with Sunfire cape you will be doing 100 magic damage BY DOING NOTHING except for standing next to your enemies. This ability is what makes Shyvana a good solo top (Murdering off those Meta Golems and blocking them off during lane phase early game). Also lets you farm like a true dragon baaawsss (boss).
Flame Breath E: Shyvana unleashes a fireball forward in a line that will hit the first enemy it hits, dealing 80 / 125 / 170 / 215 / 260 (+0.6 per ability power) magic damage to it and reducing their armor by 15% for 4 seconds.
Dragon Form: Flame Breath engulfs all units in a cone in front of Shyvana.
A meh Ability, in fact if it weren't for the armor reduction and Shyvana's passive I wouldn't touch this at all. By it self it doesn't do much damage, but not only that it is also a skill shot. Landing it against a good opponent is hard, and even if you do, its like a tickle even at rank 5. Do not attempt to max first during lane phase in hopes that you could harass or last hit with it.
Dragon's Descent: (Passive): Shyvana reinforces her scales, increasing her armor and magic resistance by 15 / 20 / 25. These defensive bonuses are doubled while in Dragon Form.
(Active): Shyvana transforms into a dragon and dashes to a target location. Enemies along her path take 200 / 300 / 400 (+70% of ability power) magic damage and are pushed toward her target location. Shyvanna must have a full fury bar to use this spell.
Ahh Shyvana's Ultimate. This Ultimate is pretty good in my book, it turns Shyvana into a dragon, how cool is that? Unlike Nidalee's Ultimate however, you need to have a full rage bar to unleash it. And once you have the full rage bar, you activate it by dashing forward and as you dash you turn into a beast dealing damage and pushing enemies you run into.
Personally I like Using this ult while my Burnout is fresh that way you live a path of flame after your transformation leaving additional damage to whoever stand in it (Think Rumble's ult). Also good for Initiating, catching run aways, ganking and Running away your self (Yes sometimes you can't get away with just your W). But perhaps my favorite way to use her Ult is ganking a low HP mid from their wraiths or catching low hp enemies off guard. It never gets old hearing someone from the enemy team say "Wtf? Random Dragon! Where did that came from? bla bla bla"
But yes, never be afraid to "waste" your ult it is fairly easy to fill up through auto attacks. For 1 vs 1 at top, Using it right away would just cause your enemy to run away. I use my ulti around when my enemy is at half HP and the fight seems like a stalemate, or If they start to back off and they have relatively low hp. Most of the time your Ult's active + Burnout and Flame breath is enough to finish off an enemy with low hp. However don't use it if you know you can kill the enemy without it.
Initiating in teamfights: It comes to a point where the enemy team focuses you (Yes Focus You) even if you are built tanky because, Dragons are pretty intimidating. If they aren't focusing you in fights then something is off, or your enemies are smart. If thats the case I usually initiate into a 1 vs 5 with my teammates in standby. DO NOT DO SO IF ENEMY TEAM IS CC HEAVY. Once you have their attention Dragon out of the fight with burn out to leave a trail and usually they will continue to chase and focus you and that is when your whole team ganks them. Do not attempt to use this strategy if: They are fed, CC heavy, you aren't tanky enough, don't have full hp etc. Most of the time tho simply engaging as a dragon works real fine.
Too long didn't read TIPS:
- Always Max W first, followed by E then Q. Unless you are jungling then Max Q first for faster Jungle and dragon killing.
- In one on one fights, wait to use your ult at the right time. Too early and the enemy will just run, too late and you will probably die.
- In team fights, use your ult ASAP while you have full HP unless you are baiting for them to focus you down.
- Your combo should be something like W -> E -> Auto attack -> Q -> Q repeat
Item build and Laning Phase: Shyvana, let's build defensively, to play offe
The concept behind my build (Don't have to read but it helps to understand how this build works):
So here we are, why you are probably here in the first place. It took me a while to get the build that I wanted that gave me enough survivability and enough damage at the same time. At first I tried the Wriggles + Wits End combo which everyone seems to be using but that did not for me (as an aggressive player that I am). Hence I thought, I am going to find a tanky damage build that will wreck teams, and I did. Before this build, my Shyvana build was rocky and ever changing, my match history at the time would have showed that, fluctuating to either doing really good or somewhat bad. And just when I gave up I thought of something. Wait, I shouldn't be focusing on damage because her Burnout damage at early and mid game is pretty good enough. With that thinking I began to build her with "defense now, wreck now and even wreck more later!" in mind. :)
The Laning Build (Sure way to own the game):
CORE BUILD::Sunfire Cape, mercury threads, Force of Nature and Trinity Force.
Once you have this build the game should be over and you should already be unstoppable.
Explanation and such:
At the start of the game I start with Doran's shield . Doran's shield is a pretty good starting item for Shyvana, lets you use your burn out long enough to live thru and even possibly get that first blood at level 1.
So far I have won most of my solo top with Nidalee the only survivor to my massacre. Not even Wukong, Tryndamere, Garen, Talon or Irelia could match me.
All you have to do during early game Lane phase is farm but at the same time chase the enemy off your creep with your burn out, if they engage even better!
- Do not Engage when a huge number of enemy creep is in the area, you will most likely die due to them.
- Don't use your burnout to farm. Last hit and make sure the creep stays in the middle making room for you to deny and harass him.
- At level 2, pick Twin Bite and test the waters to see if you can get a kill.
- Remember, when engaging in a fight, the longer the fight is the worst it is for your opponent so don't back out of a fight if you think you are losing just because of 2 hits and an ability (ahem wukong). Exhaust only when the enemy is below 50% health and has no flash or escape.
- Once you have enough gold, push your lane with burnout then go B for your Chain Vest and possibly some pots. Once you have this item, it is pretty much over for their solo top (unless their solo top is a caster like nidalee). Harass more often
- At around level 6 you should have a kill, don't be afraid to fight that level 6 tryndamere (specially if he has no items yet and you already have that chain vest), wait for him to use his ult then exhaust, Dragon up only when you are reaching 50% of your own health.
- Win the lane with Sunfire cape [img=] and start building your Force of nature [img=].
- Don't forget to buy your boots before you finish your Force of Nature.
- Why force of nature? That health regen and speed boost mixes really well for Shyvana's W and her Dragon Form. Even if the enemy team does not have a fed caster I still recommend Force of Nature as your second item just so you won't be kited and such.
- Once you hit around level 8 I will assume you have taken their top turret and won your lane (I usually do unless they have a very annoying Jungler) and if you follow the tips I wrote, and completed it successfully then you should have managed to outlevel their top by at least a level or two (Reaching level 6 while they just go to level 4 or 5 is a good thing, keep scaring them off so they won't be able to farm or level). Anyway once you have done so, start looking for an opportunity to gank mid. If they are at half health don't be scared to Use your ult on them and do some damage, but sometimes its better to just rush them with W and Ghost and wait and see if they flash or not, if they do then ult them down ;).
MID GAME to LATE GAME:
- Start building that Trinity Force starting with your phage and a vampiric scepter . If you feel that you aren't losing a lot of health then you can skip the scepter and on to your Sheen and finally your Trinity Force [img=]. The game usually end before I even finish my Trinity Force or around that time. If it doesn't then Your final 2 items become situational. Sometimes Blood Thirster and Warmogs Is enough.
- AND IF the game still hasn't ended with you having those items, then wow, you should consider selling either your boots or your Sunfire cape for an Atma's impaler . Don't worry tho, even without your boots, thanks to FoN and Tri-Force you should still be at around 380 movement speed plus your W so yes.
Jungle??? This ain't a Jungle this is my denn!
Forewarning: MY Jungle shyvana is a pretty aggressive play style, it works 50/50 depending on the level of the enemy team's teamwork (ie: enemy mid comes to the aid of enemy jungle most of the time). If you are following this jungle guide and got killed once by their mid, STOP the invading because chances are: They will keep helping their jungle, you will end up behind instead of their jungle behind, they will eventually ward their jungle entrances. HOWEVER IF you follow this guide and the enemy team is clueless, their jungle should not only be behind but he will be forced to lane.
Ahhh Jungle Shyvana. She is a pretty fast jungler however her ganks are on the lame side of things. Even with her Burnout's speed boost she does not have a slow or CC to be an excellent Jungler. That is why I only Jungle Shyvana to counter jungle and invade. Ganking becomes easy once you hit level 6 and if you have a phage or the red buff.
When to jungle shyvanna? If you know for sure that their jungle relies on blue buff or start at wolves.
Start with getting clothand 2 red potions and a ward .
Start by heading to their wraiths but not before asking your mid to come with you just in case and for your support to CV their Blue. Once you know for sure their jungle starts wolves or blue then hide in the bush near their wraiths.
Then jungle starts:
- Have your mid leash wraiths, kill them off with burn out, towards the end use a pot.
- Rush towards golem and use ward where you can see the intersection to you and slightly their red buff. This is so you can see if their jungle is coming, or later on if he tries to level 2 red buff.
- Smite one golem and kill the other, make sure you are not visible through passing minions.
- Use a pot and either head to your wraiths or to your wolf. IF He starts fighting the lizard come back and pick up the red and kill him or start fighting him with the lizard's agro still on him. Watch out for their Mid or bot/top helping out.
- Once you've had his wraiths and golem, you will have enough hp to go for either your wolf or wraiths. Both if you ask mid to leash wraiths for you again.
- Back once and get boots and around 4 pots . Do a route once picking up your buffs and gank a lane or look for their jungler.
- Usually what I would do is go back to their wraiths and plant a ward there and wait for it to spawn and get there before their jungle does.
- Pick up 3 wards and wait for their jungle to be visible or gank a lane then enter his jungle and plant your wards smartly, if his jungle isn't cleared clear it for him ;).
- Thats the most I could go in detail about Anti-Jungle Shyvanna, after the 2nd time in his jungle everything becomes situational, whether his team starts ganking you while you are in their jungle or their jungle completely lane. So in short, what you do as Jungle Shyvana is very situational that is why Like I said it is only advisable to do so if their Junglers are champs like Udyr, Warwick, Fiddlestick, Amumu, Shaco, Rammus Etc. I strongly advise not to invade a Lee-sin, tryndamere or Nocturne Junglers, unless you have a cv in your team.
- For the most part, if you really want their Jungler to be useless just keep clearing their Wraiths, Red, Golem and Your Wraiths, Red, Golem.
- Shyvanna is a pretty fast jungler and she is very flexible with her route that is what makes her a pretty good anti-jungler/invader. And if anything goes wrong, just Burnout + ghost your way out of there.