Skarner Build Guide by PokeChase
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Hello and welcome to my second guide. The champion I will be giving a stellar build on is Skarner, the Crystal Vanguard.
- energize is Skarner's passive, which is one of the best aspects about him. Energize takes of 0.5 seconds off every ability currently on cool-down after hitting an enemy minion or monster with a basic attack. However, hitting an enemy champion with a basic attack takes off a full second on all abilities currently on cool-down.
- Crystal Slash is Skarner's Q ability, Crystal slash is a great ability that allows Skarner to spam an AoE (Area of Effect) that after hitting an enemy will slow anyone else hit.
- Crystalline Exoskeleton is Skarner's W ability. This HAS to be one of the most over=powered abilities in the game. It gives Skarner a shield that blocks some damage, a movement speed increase, and an attack speed increase. This is Skarner's gap-closer, so use it quickly and then run as fast as you can towards the enemy!
- Fracture is Skarner's W ability. This is the ability that doesn't really do that well. Yeah, it heals you and with enough AP, deals a decent amount of damage, but it just isn't that good. It is best to max this last, maxing Crystal Slash and Crystalline Exoskeleton first will benefit you much more. However, if you find yourself having trouble with the opposing jungler, take a point at level five.
- Impale is Skarner's ultimate. Impale has to be one of the most over-powered ults in the game. Right up with Karthus's Requiem. Impale allows you to... Well... Impale an enemy champion, suppressing them for a short time and drag them around while they're suppressed.
Runes and Masteries
The runes that I have chosen for Skarner are runes that benefit all h has, the Greater Quintessances of Swiftness give Skarner the extra movemnt speed he needs to close gaps all the faster, however, since these are quite expensive, I would recommend using flat atack sped quintessances until you can afford them.
The Greater Marks of Alacrity give Skarner more attack speed. Making his passive energize all the more effective.
The Greater Marks of Resilience give Skarner some extra armor when fighting all the junge creeps early game, allowing him to stay in the jungle for a longer period of time.
The Greater Glyphs of Shielding give Skarner some extra magic resist, allowing him to reduce the damage he takes from AP carries during ganks or teamfights
The Greater Quintessences of Swiftness give Skarner a little extra movement speed so that he can close gaps between him and the unlucky champion he's chasing.
- Maxing out Crystal Slash first is capital, as Skarner's main damage tool, you need to have this ability to get in and slow the champion you are ganking.
- Having Crystalline Exoskeleton maxed out next is necessary, although some people max it out first which i can understand, but I would recommend maxing it second.
- Fracture is something that should never be maxed first. IMO, Fracture needs a remake, it doesn't do a lot of damage, the heal is nice but most of the time it's unneeded. If you find yourself taking a little more damage than normal and you're recalling more than normal, take a point at level five or seven, then don't take another til Crystal Slash and Crystalline Exoskeleton are both maxed.
- Impale is an obvious one. Take a point at levels 6, 11, and 16.
- I like to start with a Regrowth Pendant, although I have experimented around and bought Boots of Speed first as well. I found that both are decent choices, however, since your W ( Crystalline Exoskeleton) gives you a movement speed bonus, I find that Regrowth Pendant is a much more viable item.
- I like buying boots next simply because it helps with the clear time and helps out a little with ganks, as I fall short sometimes when attempting to gank a cautious player.
- finishing a philosopher's stone is paramount. Having that extra gold helps immensly. and it helps if you can buy at least a Ruby Crystal when you recall to buy a philosopher's stone.
- Obviously, you'll want your team to leash blue for you. Then head straight for the wolves.
- Head to wolves after you have obtained blue buff.
- Then, depending on your APC's situation, gank mid or had to wraiths.
- after wraiths (you should be almost level three by now if your APC needed no help) head to the golemns.
- After killing them, ask if bot needs a gank, if not, take red.
- Now that you have both buffs, suggesting that you have not died, start at bot, gank there, then head all the way up to top and gank there, your crest of the ancient golemn should be gone.
- The golemn will re-spawn after five minutes, so at about 7:15 or 7:20 minutes in you should head back and take it once again, however, if you have a mid like Anivia ask if they need it, if not, then take it yourself.
Credits and Notes
- Note #1: As soon as I am able, I will add videos and pictures to this guide
- A big thanks to JhoiJhoi on her Guide on how to make a Guide!