Kog'Maw Build Guide by ChunkofWhat
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Why do I call him "Snog'Ma'"? Because he's a real ***********er. Kog'Maw is the master of killing champions in places they don't expect to dye in. This includes the infamous "Living Artillery" snipe, but don't limit yourself: this is an extremely versatile champion. This build allows the Kog'Maw summoner to dominate the lane, team fights, jungle, and assassinations.
If the game lasts long enough for you to complete this build, you should be dealing damage equivalent to 14% of your opponent's health with Bio-Arcane Barrage on, plus 160 AD, at 2.5 attack speed with enough AP to do some major Living Artillery damage with substantial movement speed. With the 14% of health damage alone (assuming for the a moment a 0 armor and magic resist champion), any champ is down to 0 health in less than 3 seconds. Including the 160 AD and the damage from your abilities AND the magic resist and armor reduction done by Malady and Caustic Spiddle... it doesn't really matter how much armor or magic resist a champion has: they're going down in 3-4 seconds.
Not breaking any ground here: pretty standard setup for Kog'Maw. The attack speed is obviously great for Bio-Arcane Barrage and armor penetration is great yada yada. Both of these are fantastic for early game, and in combination with the early items I recommend, this "carry" champion should be rocking a good few early kills.
*Items will put Kog'Maw on 2.5 attack speed almost on the dot - no waste.
*Berserker Grieves great for starting out. Important starting item - must sell later to prevent attack speed waste and make room for more ability power.
* ability power important for bio-arcane barrage. this ability is WHY Kog'Maw is a HYBRID. It's the only way to make good use of him. Upping his AD is dumb and pointless. It's all about the % of health damage with Kog'Maw.
- also important for sniping with living artillery. Void Ooze isn't chump change either.
* Malady important for shredding magic resist so Bloodrazor can do it's thing better.
***** anyone who says Trinity Force is a noob item. It has everything a growing Kog'Maw needs. The slow is perfect for the chases Kog'Maw so often gets into, and there is so much back and forth between ability use and auto attack that Sheen gets used a lot as well.
- and on top of that, you can't argue with the ever important attack speed (Kog'Maw milk), ability power (already described why important), crit strike (sooo good with high attack speed), and mana (for spamming living artillery and Archangel's Staff AP boost).
* The Goddess' Tear is your first item because you need **** TONS of mana. A lot of Kog players will tell you to use Living Artillery carefully or else you'll run out of mana. **** them. Get Godess' Tear and never have to worry about mana ever. Safely pop off two Liviing Artillery for each creep wave (/w Void Ooze and the wave is clear) without worrying.
*ability power is also important for farming. You can clear any size creep wave in no time with this setup.
* Void Ooze first - you need that escapability a soon as possible, you squishy lil pup. Also a good slow if you catch the gank
- in general though, Bio-Arcane Artillery is useless while laning without Void Ooze; no one sticks around long enough for you to get off more than three hits usually. You need that slow
* Don't get me wrong: Caustic Spiddle is a great move! It's just not so great for laning. Save it for the late game when you get more chances to use it.