Build Guide by MayorJama
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
This is my personal preference on how I see how to play Sona. She is an AoE spamming champ with team support. Your goal isn't to get kills, but help your team get wins. You never initiate fights, and never chase an enemy alone.
Clarity - This is a must for Sona, Its a great team oriented skill, and will help you and your partner (depending on if there mana based) stay in a lane for as long as possible.
Teleport - This is useful for jumping into team fights if your not around.
Optional in place of teleport.
Flash/Ghost - Should help with escapes if your getting crushed to often.
Magic Pen - What can I say, its magic Pen!
Health - Should help a little with your earlier squishyness.
1. Maki Pendant - Sona uses a lot of abilities really fast, early game your mana will drain quickly. Maki Pendant should help a little, till you build some more.
2. Boots are always dependent on the team your playing against. But if your not sure what to do, grab Sorc shoes.
3. Archangels Staff - This is a core item for Sona. It will build to max stats faster then any other champ, and will solve your mana problem.
4. Innervating Locket - This is your last core item, since your a support champ, this will keep you and your team alive. Your spamming spells every 2 - 3 seconds, so including your heal, your healing your team constantly.
The Next few items should be changed based on the team your playing against.
5. Deathfire Grasp/Nashor's Tooth - This is mainly for the cooldown reduction, but I personally would grab Nashor's. Heres why, If you plan on grabbing a lich bane, your gonna want more attack speed. Your abilities are gonna proc Lichbane all the time, so you want to be hitting as much as possible with your normal attack. Deathfires is for burning 1 champ fast, but as Sona, you should never rush into the fight.
6. Liches Bane - For reasons before, spamming spells will trigger the proc on liches bane, dealing a lot of damage.
7. Zhonya's Ring - Just more ability power, and a active that can save you if your targeted in a group fight.
Alternative Cooldown Reduction:
Frozen Heart: If you facing a melee heavy team, grab a Frozen Heart over DFG or Nashor's. This will help keep you alive with a little armor and reduce there speed helping your whole team.
Rylai's Crystal Scepter: You may wanna grab this early if the team is harassing a lot or getting away, HP + Slowing them always helps.
If your facing a caster heavy team, Definatly grab an early Will Of The Ancient's. I would say get this before or right after innovating locket.
If you go solo lane, I will find you and slap you twice. Grab Maki Pendent and two mana post and go to your lane. Sona may have trouble farming, so if your not getting pushed like crazy, feel free to use your q on minions for some cash. Between Maki pendant, Pots, and clarity, you should have decent mana regen until you build. Sona can be great at the early gank or horribly bad. Your range on your Q is pretty far, but your squishy as hell so dont be too forceful. You're ranged, so keep your distance.
By this time you should have Archangels staff and most/all of your innervating locket. Now is when you start helping with ganks. Stay in the back and spam your Q and W everytime there up in team fights, this will hit them and heal your team with actives, passively you;ll switch between offense and defense for your team. If your on the run, make sure your W is up, if you pushing a turret or chasing down with your team, switch too E and Q for chase and beatdown. For turret stomping just keep Q on for the damage bonuses.
You should now have more damage output. Keep fighting the same as mid game, You might grab some last hit kills now between your spamming.