Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Dear Reader: If you find anything amiss, confusing, or requiring more detail or consideration, please leave a comment. Thanks!
- Get a Meki Pendant, a health potion, and a mana potion.
- Use hymn of valor 3 times within base to build passive
- Focus on last hitting to get the additional 605 to buy Tear of the Goddess.
- Use abilities appropriately, have 100 mana at any time.
- Get the boots, and then upgrade to Archangel's Staff. The mana regen from the staff should be enough that you can spam your abilities to a good degree.
- Focus on helping in team fights, helping dakaged allies juke (escape) the enemy with song of celerity.
- Helping the team and juking (escaping) becomes much easier with Boots of Mobility or Swiftness.
- Do not die.
- Remember that you are a support. Do not focus on killing, but helping allies. Be there for team fights, keep your allies topped off for health, spam abilities in team fights.
- Get a Mejai's Soulstealer to build AP as you build assists. This will make your heal powerful.
- Once you get Lich Bane, keep spamming abilities and then auto attack after each ability usage. Lich bane + Arch Staff + built up Mejai's should ensure that your auto-attacks hurt. Great for harassing.
- Do not die.
- Support the team
- Boost the team's speed in pushes, keep health topped off with your powerful heal, use your hymn of valor to hurt enemies when they are slowed. Play support to the push for the end.
- Do not die.
- Support the team
- There is a recurring idea, do not die
Exception to the Rule: When is it ok to die?
If the enemy has a choice between killing you or killing your team's carry / someone with a killing streak, then it is ok to sacrifice yourself. Hopefully the other person will get the hint and keep running. Regardless, better they kill the support and not get the +500-1000 gold for killing someone with a streak.
Boots of Mobility vs Other shoes
- First and foremost, Sona is support. Couple lich bane's speed bonus with high speed boots and you have fantastic escape (flash too). The best way any champion can support is to not die unless absolutely necessary, especially one so squishy as Sona.
Boots of Mobility or Swiftness are best for her because:
Sorcerer's: You are not a high damage output, boosting it won't do much but help last hit.
Mercury's: If you are slowed, you are dead. No matter if the slow lasts 2/3rds as long.
(Update) Boots of Celerity: Good item. My new default choice for Sona if your team has been keeping you safe.
Lich Bane for a support?
I like having Lich Bane in there for the boost to AP, movement speed, and magic resist (survival). The attack boost from Lich is icing (500 AP + 100 attack + 300 damage from passive = mini nuke every time you cast, which is every second).
Why Archangel's first?
- Without mana, Sona is near useless. Archangel's ensures you have plenty + AP for healing early. You can also build into it easily after getting the Meki Pendant as you only have to build 605 gold before getting the Tear of the Goddess, which solves most mana problems early game.
Why a snowball Mejai's Soulstealer?
- Like I stated before, the best you can do for your team is not die. Sona is easy to kill. So keep out of range with your speed. Get to your allies (with your speed) and support them. Those assists build nicely, bringing your AP so high that your heals are massive, and Lich Bane can do considerable damage.
What about situational Items?
High Physical Damage Team: Stark's Fervor
If you have a high physical damage team, consider getting Stark's Fervor before Mejai's Soulstealer.
It's a great boon to physical damage teams to increase their damage output AND their survivability. Not to mention it helps you top off their health by being present.
High Magic Damage Team: Abyssal Scepter
If you have a high magic damage team, and no one gets it, get Abyssal Scepter before Mejai's. It's good for your survivability and helps up that damage output.
Taking Too Much Damage: Rylai's Crystal Scepter or Soul Shroud
If you are being focused, get Rylai's Crystal Scepter. Health + slow = survival. You could also get the Soul Shroud early, if the problem is less severe.
Team Fights are Tough or Have Come Too Early: Aegis of the Legion
If you find that team fights are relatively even, get an Aegis of the Legion to tip the balance in your favor. This will usually happen right around the time you get Archangel's Staff.
Entire Team Uses Mana: Soul Shroud Early
If your entire team uses mana, go ahead and get the Soul Shroud earlier. Again, this will usually happen around the time you get Archangel's Staff. Your team will appreciate the extra mana and cooldown.