Not Updated For Current Season
Threats to Sona with this build
|Bard||Bard is pretty easy, you just have to dodge his Q and be prepared for his R.|
|Morgana||Not much of a threat, watch out for her bind.|
|Janna||Not so much of a threat, her shield will make you furious.|
|Nunu||Great sustain will make his snowball useless.|
Hello, welcome to my guide. I'm truly sorry for the guide is still in progress, it will be done soon.
However, the item build, masteries, runes, and tips and tricks are ready.
The only thing that is missing is her Sona's Synergy, How to Ward, and Sona's Background page.
There will be more addition to the tips and tricks section as soon as I'm done working on the Synergy page.
Feel free to leave a comment down below, for any suggestion or maybe future guide.
I'm sorry if there are some misunderstanding, you can ask me anything for a clearer understanding, I'll gladly help and reply as soon as I can.
Welcome to the Final Recital guide for Sona, the Maven of the Strings.
Sona is a support champion with a secondary as a mage, she excels at buffing her teammates with her auras as well as being able to control her lane.
For this particular guide, I will explain how Sona excels as her main role, support. I will also try my best to fully cover everything there is to know about her.
Sona has low health and armor compared to the other support champions, she is also mana-hungry due to her reliance on her skills to survive in lane. That is why understanding the base data of Sona is important.
HEALTHInvisible text!482 – 1791
HEALTH REGENtext! 5.4 – 14.8
MANAInvisible text!!!!341 – 1106
MANA REGENtext!!!!11.5 – 18.3
ATTACK DAMAGE ext50 – 101
ATTACK SPEED text! 0.644 (+0% – 39.1%)
ARMORInvisible text!!20.5 – 76.6
MAGIC RES. Invisible 30.0
MOV. SPEED Invisible 325
After that, it is important to know Sona's abilities, which is listed down below.
Being the great and talented musician she is, she uses her Etwahl as her weapon.
Below are the list of her skills.
Her passive, Power Chord
is a unique ability that empowers her and all allied champions who enter its radius, also incurring a 0.5-second period during which she cannot cast her other basic abilities. Each aura's duration is extended by 0.5 seconds for each allied champion it empowers, up to a maximum of 5 seconds. After casting 3 basic abilities, Sona's next basic attack deals 13 - 192 (based on level) (+ 20% AP) bonus magic damage, with an additional effect depending on the last basic ability cast.
Note that Sona's passive resets her autoattack tier.
Her Q, Hymn of Valor
sends out two bolts of sound that deal magic damage to the nearest enemies, prioritizing champions. She and her tagged allied champions deal bonus magic damage on their next basic attack within 3 seconds.
The effect of her passive with her Q on deals 40% bonus damage.
Her W, Aria of Perseverance
heals herself and the most wounded nearby allied champion, increased by 0.5% for every 1% of target's missing health. She and her tagged allied champions receive a shield lasting up to 1.5 seconds.
The effect of her passive with her W on reduces its target's damage output by 20% (+ 2% per 100 AP) for 3 seconds.
Her E, Song of Celerity
provides bonus movement speed that decays down to Song of Celerity's aura bonus over 3 seconds. The duration is increased by 0.5 seconds for each ally she tags with the aura. She and her tagged allied champions gain bonus movement speed for 1.5 seconds.
The effect of her passive her E on slows its target by 40% (+ 4% per 100 AP) for 2 seconds.
Her R, Crescendo
is her ultimate ability where she plays an irresistible chord in a line, dealing magic damage to enemy champions and stunning them for 1.5 seconds, forcing them to dance for the duration.
Passively Sona's aura bonuses and Song of Celerity's (E) personal bonus movement speed are increased.
I know the skills might sound confusing, but once you play her, you will understand how her abilities effect her teammates and enemies in a click of button.
The key to be a good Sona player is to know what skill to use at what specific time, being able to know your positioning, what auras are needed for her teammates, as well as doing it all gracefully.
You can view the simpler explanation of Sona's skills down here,
You can now proceed to building her Runes.
For her Runes, I recommend a mixture of Mana regen, Ability power and a boost of Movement Speed.
Mana Regen, why?
Ability Power, why?
Movement Speed, why?
Even with her lack of Armor and Magic resist, Sona can survive in her lane by mantaining hers and her ADC's health with the increased Mana Regen.
With that said, here is the list of Sona's Runes:
Greater Mark of Mana Regeneration
Greater Seal of Mana Regeneration
Greater Glyph of Scaling Ability Power
Greater Quintessence of Movement Speed
- Mana Regen/5 +6.0
- Ability Power at level 18 +28
- Move Speed +4.5%
Sona's items vary according to her surroundings. Different scenarios require her to be more flexible and adaptable towards the battle, luckily for you, Sona can easily go from being a high damage output giving amazing sustain, or even be the damage taker for your team.
As a support, you are the main person who provides vision to your team, ruby Ruby Sightstone is a must have item on your build, you can stick with Sightstone but upgrading your Sightstone isn't a waste of money either. You get additional health to help you survive in lane better, and acts as a little bit more tank.
Boots of Swiftness
I'd recommend Boots of Swiftness for the movement speed bonus as well as for its slow resist, just like I have explained before, to help her both engage and escape. But you change your boots choice anytime you want, Ionian Boots of Lucidity is also a great choice for its cooldown reduction potential, Boots of Mobility provides more movement speed out of combat.
Another one of Sona's mush have item, or any other support who has heal or shield like Soraka, Nami, or Janna. It provides additional attack speed bonus and magic damage on hit for your teammates coming from either your heals or shields. Ardent Censer also gives you bonus movement speed, ability power, and cooldown reduction, so it's a win to have this one.
A lot of people underestimate the potential of this one particular item, not only for it's Armor, Health Regen, and Magic Resist. This item gives you little void minions that will help you push your lane, they explode when in contact to nearby turrets, and deal as much damage as an ADC could. I will explain about this particular items further in tips and trick section.
Enhancing your boots with this will make you the best support, any allied champion running towards your direction will gain additional movement speed. This enchantment works in many ways, either helping your teammates runaway, engage, chase, or get back in lane faster.
Talisman of Ascension
Your source of gold item should be upgraded, instead of upgrading it into Eye of the Oasis go for Talisman of Ascension the active effect of this item will save the lives of your teammates, and yours, you could even turn the tide of battle by adding a little more movement speed to your allies. Although Eye of the Oasis gives more base health regen and base mana regen, the effect of Talisman of Ascension suits you better for its cooldown reduction and its active effect.
When you have reached the late game moments, you would want to survive and be able to heal your allies, this item's massive armor bonus will makes you feel nothing (sort of). It gives you additional cooldown reduction which is amazing for you, and bonus +400 mana for your never-ending skill spams. (You can change this item anytime you want, choose what goes best for the situation.)
Athene's Unholy Grail
This item acts well as a substitute for your Frozen Heart if you're facing a team of heavy magic dealers instead of attack damage dealers.
If you like to tower dive, or maybe your teammates love to do it. This would be a great item choice, it disables turrets damage for a brief 2 seconds. It also redirects any ally champion that was targeted to minions, if you have them on your side. Not only that, Ohmwrecker gives you cooldown reduction, and additional health bonus.
Another good item with a great active effect, providing bonus ability power, and critical damage chance. The downside of this item is that you have to stay with your bound teammates to gain charges. But this item would be a fine choice for mix-damage ADCs like Miss Fortune. Corki, or Kog'Maw.
Sona's Skill Sequence
To get the most potential of Sona as a support, max out your skills according to this:
R -> W -> Q -> E
Start your game with Sona's Aria of Perseverance(W) for its heal and shield potential.
For the second level, take Song of Celerity(E) to get out of ganks or chase dying enemies.
Then, you can take Hymn of Valor for its bonus damage output.
Don't forget that you can upgrade your Crescendo(R) at level 6, level 11, and level 16.
Sona uses the basic spell every support uses, but there are some options for you who want to test out the most of her plays.
Flash provides you escape and play mechanic, an all around go-to's for any champion of any role.
Exhaust gives you the complete support capability, decreasing movement speed, armor, attack speed, magic resist, and also reduces the damage coming from the exhausted enemy champion.
Ignite is optional for you, this will either secure kills or get it, it also burns your enemy and reducing any healing effects on the ignited enemy champion.
I would recommend to stick with the combination of Flash and Exhaust, if you would prefer Ignite rather than Exhaust, make sure that your Power Chord is always ready and your Song of Celerity up for its slow effect, and make the right decision on who you should slow.
Pros and Cons
Even if by now you've think that Sona's abilities are the ultimate support abilities bundled into one champion, she has her pros and cons.
|+ Strong and constant pokes
+ Great sustain and survivability
+ Great CCs
+ Tide-turning ultimate skill
|Sona works best with her being able to use her skills effectively, and constantly. Providing damage bonus, heals, movement bonus, and shields for her allies, no wonder why anyone who faces a good Sona player will have a hard time dealing with her sustainability.|
|+ Low survivability early game
+ Long cooldowns early game
+ Mana hungry
+ Small means of escape
|Sona can be bullied early game easily, her low health base would be a trouble early game if she's forced to go back after constant pokes. Playing her safely and building the right items can help you excel against any incoming enemies.|
Synergy: Frozen in Ice
Poking potential: Strong
Speciality: Unlimited CC
Explanation: Ashe is one of the best champion to play with, she has the CC that is needed to keep her safe while dealing tons of damage with her Volley. Expect a never ending CC on your enemy team from your Power Chord and her Frost Shot, your enemy team best be ready for your double stun.
Synergy: Deafening Headshot
Poking potential: Strong
Speciality: Can't Touch Us
Explanation: The Sheriff of Piltover has one of the highest range on the game, you will have a great time playing with a good Caitlyn players. Combine your Hymn of Valor and her Headshot for the maximum damage potential, don't forget that Caitlyn can escape serious danger with her traps and her net, all you have to do is to shield and boost her speed.
Synergy: Soar through the Skies
Poking potential: Medium
Speciality: Hard Hitter
Explanation: Corki is able to melt anyone down once he get his stuffs done, make sure that he doesn't fall behind, a late Corki means a dead Corki. He can reach back to lane easily once he gets his Hextech Munitions passive, so you don't have to wait for so long to take turn healing yourself or buying items back in base.
Synergy: Damage? We Got It
Poking potential: Medium
Speciality: Let Them Eat Axes
Explanation: Draven is completely versatile with Sona, they work well together, the tons of damage from Draven will melt the enemies away, while Sona's [[ardent censer] provides bonus attack speed.
Synergy: Skillshot Madness
Poking potential: Strong
Speciality: Let's Dance!
Explanation: Ezreal is a good ADC for Sona, he gives a lot of poke towards the enemy champions, so Sona doesn't have to use her [hymn of valor] that often. But the problem is that Ezreal is mana hungry, so being able to keep him alive with him having no mana would be quite a burden. But luckily he has his Arcane Shift to run away.
Synergy: Bursting with Flavors
Poking potential: Medium
Speciality: Instant Death
Explanation: Graves deal a lot of damage with his End of the Line, since he has to reload his shotgun to auto attack, make sure that he's receiving little damage, if it's possible no damage at all. Careful positioning with him will make you two successful in lane.
Tips and Tricks
Sona is not a hard champion to understand, you will learn her easily as the game progresses. She is capable of making sure that she wins her lane. Here are some tips and tricks that you can use on your gameplay.
- Sona's passive Power Chord work as an additional 3 more skills for her. Hymn of Valor (Q) gives you bonus damage, Aria of Perseverance (W) gives damage reduction for your targeted enemy champion, Song of Celerity (E) slows your targeted enemy champion.
- Once you reach the battlefield, immediately get a point on your Aria of Perseverance (W) and use it two times to prepare you for the Power Chord effect.
- If your jungler needs your help for leash, wait for him or her to take damage, then use your Aria of Perseverance (W) to heal him or her as well as shielding them, your Power Chord effect would be active by then, this will help reduce incoming damage from the neutral monster.
- Play safe in your lane if you're up against support champions like Leona, or Thresh, they can easily take you down early game.
- Use your heal only when your ADC or you need it, if your ADC still has 3/4 health, don't worry so much to heal him or her, they can get their health back in time from the Doran's Blade or Cull effect.
- Do not attempt to make flashy plays early game until you have all of your three skills available. And make sure that your Power Chord passive is always one skill away from being activated to help you and your ADC in lane.
- You will know when you will get ganked, they will start aggressively push forward, and once the jungler comes in, your idea of escape is to activate your Song of Celerity(E) and use Power Chord's effect on the jungler to slow him down, then carry on with your Aria of Perseverance(w) to shield both you and your ADC to safety.
- Don't waste Flash to try to escape from inevitable death, your main mission is to make sure that your ADC doesn't die. Flash should only be used to block incoming damage like Caitlyn's Ace in the Hole or to stun your enemies with your Crescendo. If your ADC has safely back away from the threat and you're sure that Flash can save your life, then do it.
- During your gameplay, you would like to stay hidden in the brush, prepare your Hymn of Valor(Q) to poke your enemy down, don't forget to auto attack for the bonus damage.
- Don't stay too far from your ADC, you will need to be close to them to give them your skills bonus.
- Every now and then, you and your ADC will be trying to poke your enemy down and get some kills. You can pair up your Hymn of Valor(Q) with the ADCs auto attack for additional poke damage.
- Keep your Crescendo(R) for needed situations, don't be afraid to use your crescendo to help your teammates chase down fleeting enemy champions or help them escape death.
- It is important for you to keep track of your skills cooldown, make sure that either of your Aria of Perseverance(W) or Song of Celerity(E) is available to escape ganks.
- Stick with your teammates until the end of the game, don't wander off alone and leave your ADC on their own, give them a heads up if you're about to ward or clear the jungle, or go to another lane to place a Zz'Rot Portal.
In the previous chapter I have said that I would be covering how Zz'Rot Portal affects your gameplay, here are the reasons why you should always rush Zz'Rot Portal.
- This item provides additional void minions to make sure your lane doesn't get pushed.
- No one is aware of what Zz'Rot Portal is actually capable of, it spawns void minions every 4 seconds, each of them are able to delete any given turrets within minutes.
- It has a long range, and don't worry about them dying to turret attacks, they'll become untargetable and immediately charge the turret.
- They give you additional pushing capability, all you have to do is clear the minions in that particular lane and they'll help push the turret for you.
- Most people underestimate Zz'Rot Portal's minions, those who don't know what it could do, will ignore it since it only spawns one minion every 4 second. Little did they know that this one minion can target Turrets, Inhibitors, and Nexus.
- Be very careful on where to put your portal, because enemy champions can easily delete it, and also if you put your portal too far away, the minion's health slowly decay and they die.