Yorick Build Guide by Chronostasis
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
Thanks to Searz for the awesome guide format! You can find it here.
This is my first guide and I would like to introduce Yorick to players interested in this hero as a great Solo-top Off-tank or Main Tank.
Why not play Yorick as a DPS?
This question gets asked a lot because Yorick does not have many support or tank like abilities that are often associated with tanks, such as Jarvan IV or Leona.
The answer is that Fighter Yorick is a completely viable way to go, but I MUCH rather play Yorick as a tank. While he does not have a stun, or a fancy ultimate that traps enemy champions in place, he CAN slow a pack of enemies at ranged, he has a ranged life-steal to stay in the fight longer, and he can also add and temporarily bring back a team mate during a fight.
Yorick is also naturally beefy, and his ghouls give him 5% bonus damage and 5% less damage received per ghoul active. His ultimate counts as a ghoul, so Yorick can total up to 20% Damage Reduction and 20% Damage boost- the best part is, with this builds cooldown reduction, you can have at least 3 of your ghouls out almost all the time.
Main rune set
I have found that 0/9/21 is the most useful for Tank Yorick.
Also, you're not jungling, but that does give me an idea...
You will want one point in early game to maximize the amount of ghouls readily available to you, and to help you with last-hitting minions in lane, or threatening your opponents if they get too close to your minion farming.
There is method to the madness of maxing this last- the speed boost is only while the ghoul is active, and that can be sometimes 0 seconds when your enemy shoots it down. You also need to have the ghoul active in order to gain the speed boost, and sometimes while running from an enemy gank, you will not have time activate it. It does good damage, true, but your other omens combined help you poke, stay in lane longer and escape better.
you can safely check if certain key places are warded.
That's not all. When running from an enemy gank or losing team-fight, pop this ghoul EVEN if you don't catch the enemy straight away in the initial blast. A good Yorick will do this as opposed to waiting for them to get in range. The ghoul will run towards enemy champions and give off it's slowing aura, giving you a split second longer to escape- simply re-cast when it is back up to aid your escape. If you try and land the initial burst on an opponent, you will most certainly be caught by one of their abilities.
this ability will allow you to stay in fights and in lane for a ridiculous amount of time. Max this first, by all means.
- Use your Q to reset your attack timer to give you two fast attacks.
- Use your W to check brushes and important objective points.
- Use your W early when running away from a threat- this way your enemy will not catch up to you, and your ghoul automatically will run towards them to slow them.
- Use your R on a target ally that does most of his damage via auto-attack.
- Your ghouls can be used to intercept certain champion abilities such as Blitzcrank's pull.
- Communicate. Knowing team strategies ahead of time is incredibly beneficial towards playing Yorick well.
- Yorick is an exceptional farmer, pairing W and Q over and over again clears minion waves easily.
- Allies can teleport to your ghoul, use this to your advantage in a brush to set up a gank.
- Remember, spam your ghouls for your passive, but spam the right freaking targets. Enemy carries and assists are always first on your slow/life-steal list.
Atma's impaler on a tank? You're a scrub!
Yes. You're right. And that's why are all viable options too, depending on the composition of the other team. Understanding the abilities and play-styles of enemy champions is useful to determining the proper build your Tank Yorick should lean towards.
If Stark's doesn't suit your fancy, your last but most expensive option is... ---> Trinity instead of Stark's.
Send me your screenshots using this build!
I'll post mine as they come along... I keep forgetting to. =[
Well, that's it for now.
I hope you enjoyed the guide and found it helpful!
Please vote and leave a comment below, I will continue editting this Guide and include screenshots as well new tips and tricks.