Teemo Build Guide by Devilesse
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Teemo specializes in range, map control, Damage over time, and of course, attack speed.
His main skills are scaled off of AP, so why not be able to attack extremely fast and deal lots of damage while you're at it?
Not to mention, who can resist the Cottontail Teemo Bunny? Seriously. I'm not kidding, cutest champion ever.
In short, these are my many AP recommendations for our little favorite champion.
(Disclaimer:I will not be making AD/AS references anywhere in this guide, so don't complain about it. This is a pure AP/AS guide, nothing else. Also, rate this guide responsibly. Please don't -1 without giving a constructive criticism first detailing your problem with the guide. Be helpful. Thank you!)
Pros / Cons
Here are the pros and cons to using Teemo:
-Versatility in team roles.
-Very good damage with DoT basic.
-A moderately OK farming character.
-The adorable skins. Oh god, the adorable skins.
-Mushrooms allow moderate map control when placed correctly.
-Late game, he literally almost becomes Teemo the unstoppable.
-Movement speed skills can allow for a quick gank or a defensive dash.
-Very squish early on.
-People get pissed when you KS. (Don't know if this is a con. This can't really be helped, and even though it benefits the team to get a kill, people still belly ache about this.)
-Mid/late game, people start focusing on you like they want your nuts.
When sitting for two seconds, Teemo goes in stealth. This is useful for spy observation or sneak attacks.
Deals magic damage and blinds a total of three seconds when maxed, causing opponents to miss attacks. Early game, this is a nice poke for enemy harass champions as it keeps them from being able to attack while doing a decent amount of damage. You can use this for utility purposes to, like countering an enemy from attacking you, a team mate, or a turret for a short amount of time while you melee to chase them off or simply make a dash for it. In short, I love this skill for damage and Utility.
This skill boosts Teemo's movement speed passively while being out of combat, as well as doubling the passive movement percentage if you cast it as an active. Quick Move is like a personal ghost skill, only better. It can save lives in matches, and can also help you snag that quick running away kill if you are confident you can survive. However, I wouldn't recommend maxing this right away as there are more important skills to focus on. If you're in a tight spot with a kill or being ganked, use ghost as a substitute until later levels.
A non-toggle, permanent allocation of magic damage poison attributed to your regular basic damage, which extends over time for 4 seconds. Turns your basic attack into a DoT. Give this skill it's proper worship. Scales off of AP.
This skill gives Teemo some very interesting map control. For beginners, it can be a little tricky in utilizing because placement is a strategic effort. Mastering the mushroom is mastering Teemo. I'll get more into this in my "Master the Shroom!" section.
Oh! And your summoner skills.
Arguably the best summoner skills for Teemo. Stick with these, and you'll go far.
Greater Mark/Quintessences of Insight
This is just self-explanatory. You're going to want your damage to penetrate.
Greater Seal of Vitality Greater Seal of Defense
Full set of Greater Seal of Vitality OR Defense
I recommend this because Teemo is a very squishy champion, especially early game. Using any one of these gives you more durability to survive later in games. Personal preference? I like my health boosts.
Full Set of Greater Glyph of Force OR Shielding
It can go either way and still be incredibly useful. If you want a more defensive survivability approach to Teemo, try Shielding. It can help you build up enough magic resist to avoid getting skilled to death. A good offense makes for a good defense though if you're bursting more AP damage. Personal Preference? I prefer Force.
Iteming your Little Person.
This is my preferred skeleton for Teemo because it's just so quick to assemble for earliest efficiency. Most of the items bought for recipe assembly still give high bonuses to carry you until you complete your intended items.
Once I assemble the above however, I start aiming to save gold and trade in my Sword of the Divine to get the Madred's Bloodrazor as shown here:
If you feel the need to tweak this build as I know most of you might try, I'll recommend a few items that I use to alternate/substitute during different types of matches to give a nice touch to AP Teemo.
The tweaks I am going to suggest are going to imply that you will *always* replace the Sword of The Divine.
This gun is just great all around. Bonus AD/AP with life steal will definitely help you pin enemies down while replenishing yourself. Highly recommended as an alternative should you not want Madred's Bloodrazor for some odd reason. O.o
This item is great because it's basically the magic version of Frozen Mallet. HP boost and negative speed? Definitely useful. If you feel you keep losing kills from running enemies or you have pesky chasers, use it.
Useful for extra defense and Revival-no-jutsu. Fight against the squishiness.
This item keeps growing as it goes along making for great damage as the match goes on. If you feel the need to fit this in, you may.
This is an alternative for AP building during a game. Whether your grabbing your own kills, or laning with someone for assists, it's an item to consider for that early AP burst. However, end game, you start getting focused a LOT, and you are not always invincible against a gank even if you're teaming. Though you can avoid dying, you will lose some stacks if you *do* end up dead. It's maintenance can be a nuisance. I would only use this as a AP burst link to a more permanent AP solution. If you're gonna go with a growth item, go for RoA.
PS: No, I am absolutely not listing . First off, that item relies heavily on the fact that you are casting skills often. It only powers up one basic attack out of the many attack speed basic attacks that will be flying out of Teemo. Lich Bane compared to many other items falls short to make the list. For the bonuses you get from Lich, you can replace that slot with one of the above alternatives for better usage. Oh, and of course, Lich Bane does not proc with Toxic Shot. Period.
Master Your Shrooms! Eat them! No wait--
This is a section completely dedicated to Noxious Trap.
Why? Because for most people, the hardest part about playing Teemo is mastering the power of the mushroom. Given that this scales off of AP, with the build I've provided, you can do considerable damage with them, even possibly gaining some kills along the way.
This section is a small guide on where and how to shroom efficiently with both passive and active aggression gameplay.
1. Shroom in key points of brush. Mid brush near the lakes, and side brush on both top and bottom lanes can efficiently catch your opponents off guard. Most opponents dive into the brush when they are low health for the safety to recall. Predicting the angle in which someone might dive beforehand can give you a nice shroom kill.
2. Understanding the delay of your set mushroom can help you with avoiding a chase and turn the tide of a 1v1 confrontation. If you are being chased by a physical melee, try your best to cast a mushroom slightly ahead of you and continue running in that particular direction. If they're hot on your trail, they'll smack right into the mushroom, causing a slow, turning the battle in your favor to deal some major damage. Use a Blinding Dart, run slightly, then Hammer away for mass damage.
3. I'm going to use Katarina for this example. If you are up against an opponent who has capabilities to teleport to your position, lay a mushroom directly underneath yourself. This will cause Shunpo to explode the mushroom for a slow/DoT. Break out a Blinding Dart, gain some distance, and pick up the kill if you can. This also goes for Warwick's ultimate, we all know how annoying that suppression is.
4. Cast your shrooms around intersections throughout the map. This can turn an opposing team-lane gank into a living nightmare, slowing them enough for you and your teammates to pick up some major damage/kills.
5. If you have any melee closing in on your turret, set a shroom close to where you feel they will approach the turret. Once it explodes, pop a Blinding Dart, and hammer away. The slow can possibly hinder him from making a run for it when the turret begins to attack, and can earn you a kill.
6. Shrooms give limited visibility in their set area on your map. Setting these in key points can give you map visibility, allowing you to see enemies who may pass through areas without smacking the shroom. Use between brush intersections for maximum effect.
7. Set & Bait tactics work amazing for Teemo. Lay a mushroom in an inconspicuous spot and lure an enemy in the direction where they can trigger it. Hammer away as best you can.
8. Always leave a mushroom or two in the brush around Baron or Dragon. If an opposing team decides to drain themselves by fighting Dragon or Baron, they will most likely run into the brush to protect themselves and slam into a shroom, earning you easy kills if they are weak enough from fighting.
9. If you suspect someone using Oracles and Wards to nuke your shrooms, it is your duty to start buying counter-oracles, and snap their Wards. Place your own wards, and surround with shrooms if possible.
Other Combat Tips for Teemo.
-Teemo's biggest strength is that he's an attack speed abuser. However, never attack a full health person with
equipped or an
with on. You'll only serve to kill yourself. Only do this if they are low enough health where you can kill them and still walk away with your health somewhat intact. If you really want to annoy, simply peg them once and run. DoT does not register with reflection from what I've noticed.
-If you feel someone's pressing you too hard, a good Blinding Dart poke with a Move Quick can help you back off from your opponent. If they still are on your tail, add in a Flash or a Ghost. Works every time.
-If you're chasing down an enemy that is low health and they've created a large gap between you and them, Flash with a Move Quick can take them down. This is a general tip for many champs so it goes without saying, but still.
I hope this has helped you complete your AP/AS Teemo!
Oh, and for the skepticals. I always follow my build to the letter, and these are just 2 consecutive results of my labor.
If you have any constructive criticism or appraisal, please leave a comment detailing your concern so that I can further enhance this guide. Nothing will be learned if people vote negative without supplying a reason!
Thanks for reading! :)