get
prime

Master Yi Build Guide by Palthios

Not Updated For Current Season

This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.


626K
Views
140
Comments
171
Votes
League of Legends Build Guide Author Palthios

The Alpha Male S3 v2

Palthios Last updated on March 19, 2013
Like Build on Facebook Tweet This Build Share This Build on Reddit

Quick Comment

You need to log in before commenting.

[-] Collapse All Comments

Sort Comments By
1
[-]
bertolucci231 | December 10, 2013 9:24am
Where in hell is Statikk shiv?
1
[-]
Ritterbruder | August 18, 2013 4:04pm
This build is very old now and don't consider the rework yi got. It still somewhat viable, but some changes are necessary.
1
[-]
Kathalyse | July 17, 2013 2:17am
Hello Palthios, Master Yi is my fav' champion and I have tested a lot of builds, but I definitely prefer yours, stuff without boots was my objective too :)

But with his rework, will your build be effective? I've heard that you "need" a lot of AD in order to maximize the potential of wuju style... And Alpha strike will deal Critical strikes too...

Anyway, got +1 to your guide
1
[-]
NicknameMy (153) | May 4, 2013 9:28am
Blade of the Ruined King + later Wriggle's Lantern is definitly enough lifesteal on Yi...

BTW: After my calculation, Last Whisper is better damage wise than The Black Cleaver in nearly every situation. You are also only single target, so you can't spread it onto every champ.

Also, 40 mins Greed are more like 460 gold.
1
[-]
Wongstar (2) | April 26, 2013 2:31pm
Excellent guide with very creative ideas/approach. I like how you explain your choices and ill give it a try, when i play Yi next time. Definitely an upvote for effort/creativity/looks!

CHeers
1
[-]
Balgias | April 18, 2013 7:01pm
Build ****ing sucks a ****, little to no lifesteal.
1
[-]
Palthios (78) | March 30, 2013 1:20am
Very nice bro.
1
[-]
TehPoleat | March 29, 2013 2:49pm
This guide is amazing, thanks for posting it.
Here's one of my first games using this guide:
1
[-]
suprsonicsunbomb9007 | March 18, 2013 8:12pm
thx palthios. I didn't get a leash in any of the games. but i did another with my friend to leash me and i was fine. ty for ur help. I hope i'll win my next yi game
1
[-]
Palthios (78) | March 18, 2013 6:58am
Only if you got really unlucky with Alpha Strike procs. I dont know where you were dying so I cant say. Just make sure youre healing inbetween camps and not waiting to pot until youre actually clearing a camp. I always try new runes and masteries in customs before I acutally try it in a real game. I never had any issues. In a real game with a leash you shouldnt be having any trouble at all. To simulate having a leash in a custom you can just go blue, wolves, wraiths, red. This way you have to clear less camps and youll have smite for both buffs, so it kind of simulates having a leash.
1
[-]
suprsonicsunbomb9007 | March 17, 2013 12:05pm
hi palthios. I just tested out your new build. I am having some trouble with jungling. I used your exact runes and masteries. I started with machete and 5 pots and followed the route in your guide. I tested jungling till lvl 4 in 3 custom games. In all 3 of them, I get executed at the buffs or wraiths. Is this suppose to happen?
1
[-]
Ritterbruder | March 15, 2013 7:56am
A new update! Thanks a lot, pal.
1
[-]
BrendonIsMighty (1) | January 15, 2013 12:10am
this build is a beast. i love it! +1
1
[-]
Elefes (2) | January 13, 2013 6:31pm
Yes, yes, yes!
Exactly what I was thinking about - true offtank Yi, not squishy gay KS master.
Lifesteal, armor, meditate and GA give the oh-so-needed-sustain to live through whole teamfight, cause you will get focused every time.
1
[-]
Astray_mf | January 12, 2013 10:34am
Just created this account on MobaFire to vote this awesome guide!
1
[-]
neimi | December 24, 2012 10:51pm
you might want to change the "percentage proc chance on alpha strike increasing per level" part since its 50% constant now.
1
[-]
MasterMastic | December 18, 2012 11:14am
IMO much better than the popular AP; I got much better performances.
Thank you ^^
1
[-]
Ziru | December 17, 2012 10:48pm
I love this guide. I liked it at the end of season 3 when I picked it up. A few things though, and I'm sure you just haven't gotten around to it yet, but there are a few things in the guide that need some updating. Mastery descriptions, videos, etc. Other wise. +1 on the guide, it's incredible. I did so well with this build, much better than my last 10 tries with Yi on my own. You shine some serious light on Yi's weakpoints, focus on making them better than ever, and kicking all the lanes that you want. I love it. Keep it up, and stop saying you're going to give up! I need more guides from you.
1
[-]
Psynuts | December 16, 2012 11:09am
Hi Palthios, I have played about 100 games with Master Yi and I have to say that this is the best build for him on mobafire (trust me, i tried a lot). People just cannot handle my ganks early game and farming in jungle is a piece of cake with alpha strike. I was a bit sceptic at first because i do not really like your garen build (personal preference) but this guide is amazing. Also very refined and easy to read! Congrats man! +1
1
[-]
Cpt Roro | December 15, 2012 11:53am
Hey Palthios,i tried your new sustain focused build and im having much better success early game, im now going positive 8/10 games and looks better, good guide +1
1
[-]
aspire | December 15, 2012 2:23am
Yes you are right , build work really well , here are some victories I did today.
Thank you For Your Amazing Work :)
http://imageshack.us/f/171/unbenanntibw.png/
1
[-]
aspire | December 14, 2012 5:39am
Danke for the information and answer ! Voted up and favorite. Keep up the good work :)
1
[-]
Palthios (78) | December 13, 2012 3:00pm
aspire wrote:

Hey , really nice guide. I have one question. Why go for arm pen runes ? You said :

Weapon Expertise : This is good at every stage of the game now that they changed the armor pen calculation.

My question is wouldn't full Attack Speed Runes will be better ? Will proc more the passive ability for double strike , more dps and more on hit effects.


Both flat and percentage armor pen was lowered a little bit in most cases this patch. The reason is that percentage gets factored in first now, so they work better together. Values were lowered so they wouldnt be too effective early game. You wont feel that nerf as long as you use flat and percentage together. If you dont combine them, they arent very effective on their own now that the values have been lowered.

ATS runes would help you jungle a little faster, but your damage wont compare to the armor pen route in champion fights. 15% ATS is a very small increase to your attacks per second. Thats a route that would work better for Xin. His jungle speeds are slower, he has slower ATS and he has built in armor reduction. Yi has no armor reduction, fast jungle times (about to get better next patch), and 80% built in ATS.
1
[-]
aspire | December 12, 2012 2:18pm
Hey , really nice guide. I have one question. Why go for arm pen runes ? You said :

Weapon Expertise : This is good at every stage of the game now that they changed the armor pen calculation.

My question is wouldn't full Attack Speed Runes will be better ? Will proc more the passive ability for double strike , more dps and more on hit effects.
1
[-]
fatalchaos | December 12, 2012 4:13am
Palthios wrote:




Its just kinda hard to build something like an Infinity Edge on a jungler. Junglers tend to have less gold then others unless youve been getting the kills on ganks. Its also a pure offense item which is hard to get away with on a melee champion with no built in defense.
[/quote]

Yeah that makes sense. But what if I'm building a laning Yi? Any suggestions on a different item? Or would you run the same build?
1
[-]
Palthios (78) | December 11, 2012 9:19pm
fatalchaos wrote:

Hey!!
First off I'd like to say that I love this build. I've only been playing this game for probably a month now...absolutely hooked. Yi is probably my favorite champ. I've seen people take over a game with him but I've also seen him get raped lol one game I saw, a guy stacked 2 Bloodthirsters and a Phantom Dancer and just mowed down everyone with the lifesteal and crits (they weren't very good though). I'm no pro nor do any calculations of any sort but I'm just curious on why you don't put a Phantom Dancer, Bloodthirster, or even an Infinity Edge in for some crit? Does this build do Max Damage (aside from Guardians)? Honestly just wondering what you think about it. Not trying to make a suggestion or anything. Just wanna hear from the pros lol. Will definitely be following this build and love reading you tearing people apart who don't know what their talking about lol keep it up!
Oh btw, only being a level 19, I tend to lane with Yi rather than jungle. Don't know if the build should change for that or not.

Thanks again,
xXFatalChaosXx


Its just kinda hard to build something like an Infinity Edge on a jungler. Junglers tend to have less gold then others unless youve been getting the kills on ganks. Its also a pure offense item which is hard to get away with on a melee champion with no built in defense.
1
[-]
fatalchaos | December 11, 2012 8:55pm
Hey!!
First off I'd like to say that I love this build. I've only been playing this game for probably a month now...absolutely hooked. Yi is probably my favorite champ. I've seen people take over a game with him but I've also seen him get raped lol one game I saw, a guy stacked 2 Bloodthirsters and a Phantom Dancer and just mowed down everyone with the lifesteal and crits (they weren't very good though). I'm no pro nor do any calculations of any sort but I'm just curious on why you don't put a Phantom Dancer, Bloodthirster, or even an Infinity Edge in for some crit? Does this build do Max Damage (aside from Guardians)? Honestly just wondering what you think about it. Not trying to make a suggestion or anything. Just wanna hear from the pros lol. Will definitely be following this build and love reading you tearing people apart who don't know what their talking about lol keep it up!
Oh btw, only being a level 19, I tend to lane with Yi rather than jungle. Don't know if the build should change for that or not.

Thanks again,
xXFatalChaosXx
1
[-]
Cpt Roro | December 10, 2012 3:31pm
Hey Palthios, thanks for the reply, yeah it just frustrates me when i get all the blame every game, and i would say im a competent jungler, not the best and not the worst, but it seems every game i dont get a kill and dont get past the vamp scepter... every game is over by the 12-14 min mark... its terrible. the early ganks i get demolished on... and then blah blah blah flamers go crazy and **** like that... but ill take what you said into consideration and try and change it up a little. Thanks,
Cpt RoRo
1
[-]
Palthios (78) | December 10, 2012 3:13pm
Cpt Roro wrote:

Hey Palthios... i loved your old jungle guide but i cant for the life of me get any success with the new one you have here... im not saying your build is bad... but for some reason everytime i try it.. i dont even get past the vamp scepter and the game is already over... i cant gank early and my jungle gets overrun everytime... any tips? And yes i've read your entire guide multiple times... and yes i understand how to play yi so you dont need to talk to me like a dummy :) just looking for some simple tips that maybe im overlooking. Thanks Palthios.


Cant get past vamp scepter? Jesus christ. How many games did you play? I ask because it sounds like you just had a couple bad games. I say that because your jungle shouldn't be getting smashed unless your lanes have no pressure. My best guess of your situation is that you were playing against mobility lanes and thats why they were hard to gank. And if all your lanes lose, your jungle becomes vulnerable. Theres nothing you can do as a jungler if you have no one to rely on. Sometimes its better to just farm if you cant gank. Maybe youre trying to focus to much time on your lanes and not enough on yourself. If youre not keeping up on farm, thats probably the case. If mobility wasnt the problem, it had to have been ward coverage. You could always spring for Oracles if you feel that you need it. I have a hard time recommending it because of the nerf but it might be the solution to your problems. I dont really know because Im not in your shoes and I havent seen these games played out.
1
[-]
Cpt Roro | December 10, 2012 2:48pm
Hey Palthios... i loved your old jungle guide but i cant for the life of me get any success with the new one you have here... im not saying your build is bad... but for some reason everytime i try it.. i dont even get past the vamp scepter and the game is already over... i cant gank early and my jungle gets overrun everytime... any tips? And yes i've read your entire guide multiple times... and yes i understand how to play yi so you dont need to talk to me like a dummy :) just looking for some simple tips that maybe im overlooking. Thanks Palthios.
1
[-]
explosivefox (3) | December 8, 2012 10:08am
Palthios wrote:



They wouldnt make that change unless they thought it would help and Im sure it will. You gain consistency at rank 1 and they still give you incentive to max it first. I cant wait to try it out.

Awesome! I can't wait to try it out either, and thanks for responding so quickly!!!
1
[-]
Palthios (78) | December 8, 2012 6:12am

How do you think his jungling will be with the projected changes (flat 50% chance to deal scaling damage with alpha)? Will the jungle be harder on him, or will it be easier and less luck oriented, or more of the same?

EDIT: Ermahgerd!!!!! S3 Yi is AMAZINGNESS! his ganks are awesome, even early (if you got a leash) and he doesn't suffer at all in the jungle. I think this was the indirect buff to end all indirect buffs. LOVING season 3. again, thanks for your awesome Master Yi build dude.

Thanks,
Explosivefox


They wouldnt make that change unless they thought it would help and Im sure it will. You gain consistency at rank 1 and they still give you incentive to max it first. I cant wait to try it out.
1
[-]
NicknameMy (153) | December 8, 2012 3:34am
Quoted:

Master Yi - [Q] - Alpha Strike


OLD:


Master Yi leaps across the battlefield striking up to 4 enemies,dealing 100/150/200/250/300 (+1)magic damage to each enemy with a 20/30/40/50/60% chance to deal 400/400/400/400/400 bonus magic damage to minions.

Cost: 60/70/80/90/100 Mana

Cooldown: 18/16/14/12/10

NEW:


Master Yi leaps across the battlefield striking up to 4 enemies,dealing 100/150/200/250/300 (+1)magic damage to each enemy with a 50/50/50/50/50% chance to deal 260/320/380/440/500 bonus magic damage to minions and monsters.

Cost: 60/70/80/90/100 Mana

Cooldown: 18/16/14/12/10

Master Yi - [W] - Meditate


OLD:


Master Yi channels,restoring 140/280/420/560/700 (+4)health over 5 seconds.While channeling,Master Yi gains 100/150/200/250/300 armor and magic resistance.

Cost: 70/80/90/100/110 Mana

Cooldown: 35/35/35/35/35

NEW:


Master Yi channels,restoring 140/280/420/560/700 (+4)Health over 5 seconds.While channeling,Master Yi gains 100/150/200/250/300 Armor and Magic Resist.

Cost: 70/80/90/100/110 Mana

Cooldown: 35/35/35/35/35

Master Yi - [E] - Wuju Style


OLD:


Passive: Increases physical damage by 15/20/25/30/35.

Active: Master Yi can activate this ability to double its effectiveness for 10 seconds,but this removes the passive bonus until Wuju Style becomes available again.

Cost: 40/40/40/40/40 Mana

Cooldown: 25/25/25/25/25

NEW:


Passive: Increases Attack Damage by 15/20/25/30/35.

Active: Master Yi doubles the passive bonus for 10 seconds.The passive bonus is then lost while Wuju Style is on cooldown.

Cost: 40/40/40/40/40 Mana

Cooldown: 25/23/21/19/17

Master Yi - [R] - Highlander


OLD:


Increases Master Yi's movement speed by 40% and Attack Speed by 40/60/80%,and he becomes immune to all slowing effects for 8/10/12 seconds.Additionally,killing a champion refreshes all of Master Yi's cooldowns.(Assists reduce half of the base cooldown amount.)

Cost: 100/100/100 Mana

Cooldown: 75/75/75

NEW:


Increases Master Yi's Movement Speed by 40% and Attack Speed by 40/60/80%,and he becomes immune to all slowing effects for 8/10/12 seconds.

While active,killing a champion refreshes all of Master Yi's cooldowns (assists reduce half of the base cooldown amount).

Cost: 100/100/100 Mana

Cooldown: 75/75/75


And still, Legendary Armor is worse than the old Honor Guard . Except if you buy Randuin's Omen.
1
[-]
explosivefox (3) | December 7, 2012 9:10pm
How do you think his jungling will be with the projected changes (flat 50% chance to deal scaling damage with alpha)? Will the jungle be harder on him, or will it be easier and less luck oriented, or more of the same?

EDIT: Ermahgerd!!!!! S3 Yi is AMAZINGNESS! his ganks are awesome, even early (if you got a leash) and he doesn't suffer at all in the jungle. I think this was the indirect buff to end all indirect buffs. LOVING season 3. again, thanks for your awesome Master Yi build dude.

Thanks,
Explosivefox
1
[-]
Palthios (78) | December 7, 2012 5:59pm
Tesar99: Now that those ward generators exist, its become a lot easier for supports to ward. It might be better to just buy some wards as you need them instead of slowing down your build by spending 700 gold at once.

Nick: 1. 5% armor + 5% magic res = 10% overall Nick... I never said anything about 10% damage reduction.

2. Im well aware of what Skarner is capable of doing, as he was my most played champion last season in ranked. 83 games played and a 65% win ratio. What Im also aware of is the fact that you dont spend nearly 4000 gold on a situational item. Especially not on a jungler. Thats the 1200 elo in you talking.

3. Again, Im aware of the effect that health has on magic damage, which is why Frozen Mallet is where it is. Are you aware that Liandry's Torment is becoming very popular and deals damage based on how much health you have? If I take your advice it would do nothing but hurt me.

4. Yet again, Im aware that Yi needs to clear fast, which is why Alpha Strike gets maxed first. At rank 5 you start insta killing a majority of the jungle creeps and that extra damage from Spirit Stone becomes irrelevant.

You want to keep trying to give me advice? Whatever floats your boat bro. But how about I give you some. How about you learn the game before trying to give someone else advice. Those "tips" if you can call them that, arent going to do anything but put a player exactly where you are. A low elo.

Since Ive been on this site not only has your elo failed to improve, but your guide ratings continue to suck. Youd think that you would take that as a sign that you need to forget what you know and start learning from players better then you. But you dont. Your a prime example of why there are so many bad players in the LoL community. Once people get to a certain point they think they know everything, even though the world is giving them every sign that they know nothing.

Ive got almost 7 million views between my guides. If even half of those people looks at the comments, thats still millions of people that have seen you making an *** of yourself. How do you expect to be taken seriously with the way you carry yourself? You expect the people that read your comments to rush over to your guides and give you support? I already know what my readers reactions are to you and I can tell you that will never be the case.

Do you even want to help people or do you just want to be well known? Youve already accomplished the latter in a negative way. If you want to do the former, you should take a break from this site and play the damn game until you get better. Either way, I dont care. Your comments on my guides do nothing but make me look better.
1
[-]
Tesar99 (2) | December 7, 2012 9:35am
Thanks for this guide and updating it for S3, looking forward to dusting off my Yi and trying this out. Just curious if you've thought about incorporating the new sightstones into your item build. Obviously it sucks to lose an item slot to something that gives 300 health, but if you want to have wards, this would seem like the way to go... or maybe just get the cheaper version and sell it later on?
1
[-]
NicknameMy (153) | December 7, 2012 8:11am
10% Increase for resistances? WTF? ´ Legendary Armor is 5%, 5%... And 5% increase to resistances doesn't mean 5% dmg reduction. It means like 1% dmg reduction, actually, even less...

I only said T1 boots alone are a waste of money, since they don't add that much anymore. Get T2 boots instantly.

Hi, I am Skarner, I instantly kill that Yi without Mercurial Scimitar. You understand what situational means?

Randuin's Omen: Why people don't understand... Since most of magic damage is burst damage, Health counters magic damage aswell. The slow is only a bonus, and a huge one.

Nice, that Avarice Blade can do this. I just don't build any items like Statikk Shiv.

Spirit Stone: Again, Yi is a farm jungler. You want to clear as much as possible. And this item helps you to do that faster and in a high enough speed to get enough gold.

Zephyr: There will be also times in which you can't reset your ultimate or only by halve? Yi has still the highest base cooldowns of all champs in the game....
1
[-]
Palthios (78) | December 6, 2012 4:10pm
Saxtuss wrote:

Hi Palthios

Your Runes & Masteries part is not updated overal. Some parts of the Runes are, but the Masteries are not.
http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/the-alpha-male-season-3-200598#chapter3
The Cheat-Sheet is updated nicely. Figured you should update the guide below to reflect the same though.

Nice Jungle-idea for Yi though, need to test it out I think.


The written part is done but I totally forgot to update the pictures of the trees. Thanks for pointing that out.
1
[-]
Palthios (78) | December 6, 2012 3:46pm
Runes: Theres a difference between something being nerfed and something being adjusted. Armor pen runes were adjusted for the new calculations just the same way that all flat armor pen items were reduced. They function the same way they did in combination with Weapon Expertise.

Masteries: The old Honor Guard wasnt 0.5. It was 1.5 and now its 3%. It was never used because there were other masteries that were more useful. Like the movement speed and CDR that are now gone. How a 10% increase to your resistances is not worth it in your mind is beyond me.

Items: Are you nuts? Its really easy for the early avarice blade to generate 800 gold by the time you get Statikk Shiv. When you take that into account, your ideas would result in my build being 4215 gold more expensive then it already is. The build price is already pushing the limit of whats acceptable for a jungler which is the main reason Avarice made it into the build.

Spirit Stone: Yi doesnt need help jungling beyond the first clear.

Boots of speed: wtf are you talking about? Are you suggesting I delay boots and run around like a snail? Thats nonesense.

Zephyr: Not going to delay tenacity that long and what do i need CDR for.

Randuins omen: I already have health and a slow from Frozen Mallet.

Mercurial Scimitar: Thats an ADC item. If you cant figure that out you shouldnt be trying to give me advice. Its not for champions with merc, defensive masteries and well rounded resistances. Its for ADCs that can die from one well timed CC.

We're going on 2 years now that youve been haunting my guides. Do you think Im the only one thats noticed? I get PMs here, on skype, and in LoL from people about you lol. Talking about how pathetic it is that you have nothing better to do but try and force your 60% rated ideas on my guides. Some people call it idiocy, some call it jealousy, I call it sad. Get a life bro. If your ideas worked, youd have guide ratings and an elo to show for it.
1
[-]
NicknameMy (153) | December 6, 2012 12:00pm

Runes:


I prefer now Attack Speed Marks and Quints. Armor Penetration got hard nerfed and Yi has already enough AD with Wuju Style. Also, Attack Speed Runes increases his clearspeed by the most, which is what a farm jungler like he needs.

Masteries:


Again, Legendary Armor is ****. It gives you like 1% dmg redcution lategame, early even less. You said yoruself the old Honor Guard with 0.5% was ****, so why you get now a mastery which is weaker? You can put points from it into Unyielding and Block , which definitly remove more damage from you, epsecially at early ganks.

Items:

  • Spirit Stone: Why not upgrade Hunter's Machete into Spirit Stone? The upgrade only costs 500 gold and gives you many usefull stats. Of course, it would be sold later, but it increases your jungle speed dramatically.
  • Boots of Speed: Since the increase of Base MS and reduction of the Boots of Speed MS this isn't really true anymore. Also, on Master Yi, I would go for Berserker's Greaves in the earlygame as soon as I can since he needs attack speed and movement speed to gank well. And they don't even have to be changed because of a new item, Zephyr. Also, you forget to mention the boots upgrade.
  • Statikk Shiv: Nice Idea. But I would get Zephyr instead. Because of that I don't need Mercury's Treads and building crit on an Ravenous Hydra based champ isn't that effective.
  • Randuin's Omen: Yeah, Guardian Angel is great, but I say Randuin's Omen is better. Most magic damage comes from burst, and burst is countered by HP. So this means, if you get Randuin's Omen, you get a nice slow against everyone, a nice slow to anyone attacking you and a high armor with a good amount of HP. Of course, you can also get Guardian Angel, but it is defnitly optional.
  • Mercurial Scimitar: Another item which should be, for obvious reason, mentioned as situational item.

    My rec items look like this:
1
[-]
Saxtuss (2) | December 6, 2012 5:12am
Hi Palthios

Your Runes & Masteries part is not updated overal. Some parts of the Runes are, but the Masteries are not.
http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/the-alpha-male-season-3-200598#chapter3
The Cheat-Sheet is updated nicely. Figured you should update the guide below to reflect the same though.

Nice Jungle-idea for Yi though, need to test it out I think.
1
[-]
Palthios (78) | December 1, 2012 4:53pm
noob101 wrote:

Very solid build and idea of a bruiser yi.. One thing I would change however, why build wriggles when your alpha strike is already an exceptional jungle clear, why not just go straight for mallet and that desired slow proc for better ganks even earlier in the game and skip wriggles altogether?


I dont get Wriggles because he needs it to jungle. I get it because hes a pure auto attacker that has no built in sustain. Some bruisers like Nasus and Irelia skip lifesteal because they have it built into them. Xin and Olaf can do without it as well. Some champions end up building so tanky that lifesteal isnt worth it because their auto attacks arent doing much damage. I guess Darius is a common example of that. But Yi is a high AD/high ATS champ so he makes perfect use of lifesteal.

And the item has other benefits of course. Armor, passive for faster dragons/barons, free wards.
1
[-]
Laseer | December 1, 2012 3:47am
Eww, just eww, I would tell you to mrate my guides, but they aren't finished lol, I can't stand Yi without 100% crit
1
[-]
noob101 | December 1, 2012 3:36am
Very solid build and idea of a bruiser yi.. One thing I would change however, why build wriggles when your alpha strike is already an exceptional jungle clear, why not just go straight for mallet and that desired slow proc for better ganks even earlier in the game and skip wriggles altogether?
1
[-]
GiggleFairy20 (2) | November 27, 2012 12:29am
dominated as our Top lane using this against a Rengar. 9/4/1 not to pro score but we won the game early from enemy surrendor.i got to atma's and they quit lol. great job on the guide and all. i can feel safe playing Master Yi without going glass cannon and yet do a " ton of damage".

Edit: those 4 deaths came once from a gank,once from stealing enemy creeps(3 of them waiting just for me), other 2 from team fight.
1
[-]
Fubull | November 24, 2012 7:21am
Hey impressive guide, im myself are a huge YI fan, trying to figure out build and playstyles to make him fit for meta, and this your build is a good shot at that direction. 1 question, surge, the ap ratio on alpha, would benfit a good amount with surge, considering activating before using alpha?

+ 1

cheers
1
[-]
explosivefox (3) | November 22, 2012 6:50pm
For the longest time, I stayed away from Yi because I thought he was a skilless glass cannon "carry or die" champ. With this build, you have firmly changed my mind. So far, I have no losses with him and have gotten most overall, physical, and magic damage dealt (even over the apc) with him as a jungler. Thank you so much for this amazing build and for changing my mind on Master Yi (who is now one of my favourite melee champions)!!!
1
[-]
NicknameMy (153) | November 20, 2012 8:48am
/league-of-legends/ability/alpha-strike-13
1
[-]
BrendonIsMighty (1) | November 15, 2012 12:27pm
love your guides! ill keep voting up!
1
[-]
Palthios (78) | November 13, 2012 2:26pm
lokido20 wrote:

Hi Palthios,

It's me again Lokido. I wanted to see the difference between Trinity and Frozen Mallet on Yi. You were
absolut right. I had way better results with Frozen Mallet and Atmas.
I also thought about your point that Yi has already damage so give him a little bit def. So i tried 9 21 with your build and it worked pretty damn well too ;).
All i wanted to say is great guid. I hope you get the 200 votes fast so we se a new one!!!
Best regards
Lokido


Glad you liked it.

Im gonna have to update my guides AGAIN after the preseason changes are done. I and most other people thought we were getting those changes this patch. Unfortunately not. I was ready to go and get into the new stuff and update my guides. I just found out yesterday that theyre removing Surge :(. So I know Im gonna have to change that.

Anyway, Im happy with the support Ive gotten on my Yi guide. After I update Yi and Garen (probably Garen first) Im gonna start releasing new guides as regularly as I can. Ive been wanting to do this for a while now but it would just be pointless to start now with the preseason changes coming.
1
[-]
lokido20 | November 12, 2012 2:26pm
Hi Palthios,

It's me again Lokido. I wanted to see the difference between Trinity and Frozen Mallet on Yi. You were
absolut right. I had way better results with Frozen Mallet and Atmas.
I also thought about your point that Yi has already damage so give him a little bit def. So i tried 9 21 with your build and it worked pretty damn well too ;).
All i wanted to say is great guid. I hope you get the 200 votes fast so we se a new one!!!
Best regards
Lokido
1
[-]
Palthios (78) | November 9, 2012 1:40pm
It looks like the reign of jungle tanks is coming to an end. Check out the new jungle changes if you havent already to see how they benefit DPS junglers like Yi: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2780182
1
[-]
Hogopogo (157) | November 8, 2012 2:16am
Really liked the guide. One of the best jungle yi guides ive seen so far. Good Work :D

+1
1
[-]
Customtm (18) | November 8, 2012 1:54am
+1 because it's one of the few guides that actually use logic when explaining stuff
1
[-]
Palthios (78) | November 7, 2012 12:53pm
If you've been keep up with current events you know that Riot is about to release a major patch that's going to change the game as we know it. Most notably are the Mastery and Item changes. From what I've read, mastery trees are getting completely reworked and every item in the game is going through a change. I'm sure some changes will be minor but I'm expecting that there's going to be a shift that will force me to reimagine my builds. I'm just letting you guys know now that I'm gonna be working on getting my guides updated as soon as possible, but not until I'm sure that I've made the right changes.

If you guys are wondering how I feel about this: Im super excited. The main point theyre trying to get across to people so far is that there will be more options. And more options means more complexity. Theory crafting has always been my favorite aspect of this game. I cant wait to dive in.
1
[-]
NicknameMy (153) | November 4, 2012 12:37am
I think you should also add that Nunu, Nidalee or Morgana can greatly increase your power and that Yi should be picked with them.
1
[-]
Shaxys (7) | November 2, 2012 11:52am
A G-R-E-A-T build! You, my friend, have opened my eyes for Alpha jungle. I never really thought into it before, so I have learned something new today. Definetely a +1 for daring to make an offtank Yi build. It finally feels like I'm not alone!

Only a few thing, though. These do not determate how I like your guide, it's just some smaller things. It may be a repeat though, as I do not like reading those 90 comments:P

1. Surge - I don't really agree with you. This is just a matter of opinion, though, as you have a great usage and reason for it. I'd enjoy Exhaust more for Yi, as he's a weak ganker.
2. The Black Cleaver - Is a great item, very underrated, but I don't like it at Yi. I feel Ghostblade is alot better on melee champions (CD-reduction, AD, armor pen, and that awesome active), as BC is such a onesided item. Again, this is just a matter of opinion.

All in all, these are just opinions, you have great reason why to pick your stuff, and I respect that! A great guide and as said, +1 to you. Palthios has done it again!
1
[-]
neimi | October 31, 2012 10:15pm
-exhaust is always better than surge. good slow means a better gank.(helps your team mates deal more dmg)
-you cant expect ur entire team to build black cleavers, thus last whisper is better.40% arp late game is far better than 45 flat...
-getting an early to mid game item in late game is a bad idea. so no to wits end, unless you get it early.
-although alpha jungle is in most cases faster than wuju, it leaves you heavily mana starved.(you wont get blue always)
-delaying meditate that much is a very bad idea since it can help speed up ur jungling in a heal between camps. it can also save your butt alot.
-getting boots instead of armor as starting a item helps for an early gank IMO. dunno why you go for armor.
-not getting a phantom dancer or an IE or a GA on a yi is just a bad idea.
-its not a bad idea to work on somethings strengths while fixing his weaknesses a bit, rather than almost completely neglecting his strengths and working only on weaknesses.
-in all cases, yi's job is to focus the adc first and the support next and then aim for the apc after that. reason for that is that even if u build tanky ur still vulnerable to getting nuked to oblivion, not to mention that adcs are usually the ones who stay a good distance from your nukers/dmgers(with ur speed and gap closer you can reach them easily not to mention fight them with ease as well)

im really finding it hard to upvote the guide. tho im not downvoting it yet. just prove me wrong and ill change my mind.
1
[-]
cow99 | October 29, 2012 1:45pm
Nice guide, been an avid yi, player, went through the transition of him being awesome to him completly sucking in higher elo games because hes countered in so many ways, like you i tried different tankier builds which gave me more sustainability but just seemed to be lacking damage to make an impact.

surge is an intresting remedy ( i admit i finnaly sort of gave up on yi right as surge was introduced) i will definatly try it, i like how you can delay att speed items (which i think are the most inconsistant stat in the game)

I am not really fond of wits end of Yi especially after the price increase it took, i will look for an alternative

On a side note, i would like to get your opionon on alpha's strikes speed. I hate how slow it is, i like to call it the fastest slowest move in the game. there are many times i go for a gank, get the alpha strike but it takes freakin, what seems like enternaty to land (after bouncing around) and by then they are safely on their turret waiting to cc me. i also find the slow alpha speed hindering in team fights, because i could be dealing alot more damage with auto atks then waiting for alpha strike to finally finish.

of cource thier is a flip side that helps with landing on flashes and keeping yourslef untargetable for longer when low, but i wish they would speed the move up!

Sorry i got off topic lol, but a good guide and it gave me the spark again to try to make Yi viable
1
[-]
Palthios (78) | October 26, 2012 9:02am
lokido20 wrote:

Hi Palthios,
I tried your build and i have to admit that it is really nice.
Normally i am not playing Master Yi. My main is Garen.
You already know how awesome your spin to cirt guide is so i skip that ;).

I've just have a little question? Like i said i am no pro and i dont play Yi, but
i dont get it why nobody builds Trinity on Yi?
Trinity would give him all he needs, dont you think?
Why not build Wriggls, Boots -> Trinity, Warmogs, Atmas and Infinity?

nice regards
Lokido


I bought trinity on Yi for a while and I stopped for 2 reasons. 1. He doesnt have any built in CC and phage isnt reliable. It will no doubt proc in a face to face fight but many times you need it to work on the first hit to secure a kill with so many mobility champions in the game. 2. Because he activates all his abilities at the start of a fight he doesnt make use of Sheen nearly as well as someone like Irelia, Jax or Nasus. Thats my reasoning. He does make use of the stats, but not well enough to justify 4k gold. You could do worse but you could also do better.
1
[-]
lokido20 | October 26, 2012 8:36am
Hi Palthios,
I tried your build and i have to admit that it is really nice.
Normally i am not playing Master Yi. My main is Garen.
You already know how awesome your spin to cirt guide is so i skip that ;).

I've just have a little question? Like i said i am no pro and i dont play Yi, but
i dont get it why nobody builds Trinity on Yi?
Trinity would give him all he needs, dont you think?
Why not build Wriggls, Boots -> Trinity, Warmogs, Atmas and Infinity?

nice regards
Lokido
1
[-]
vallum | October 22, 2012 3:49pm
Great guide. I find Yi play-able in solo queue with this guide, (and shores up his horrible weaknesses). Wish everyone would read this guide!
1
[-]
PrinceVinc (2) | September 26, 2012 10:03am
I stumbeld over an Idea by my self for very late game. when you got more gold then you can spend xD.
Very late game just get these items: Madreds Bloodrazor, Frozen Mallet, Atmas, Mercury Threads, Raduins, Force of Nature.
With thsi you are a real tank and a carry BUT It will be hard to get this. Only exchange the items if you got enough to replace them at once.
1
[-]
PrinceVinc (2) | September 25, 2012 1:52am
I got a "problem" in lategame, because I have about 3k+ Gold and I dont know wich Items I can exchange for late game without drop in dmg or tankiness. I spend my money after I finished my build in Elixiers and Oracles, but I still got way to much money left...

Could you give any suggestions for very very late game?

MfG

PV
1
[-]
PrinceVinc (2) | September 23, 2012 9:08am
Went 28/4/xx Carried the game xD
Could you plz "update" the Guide so it´s stated as "fresh"? plz? I want another guide from you!

Edit: DAM YOU! now I am addicted again to Master Yi xD
1
[-]
BioLoco | September 20, 2012 9:00am
I had an amazing game (20/10/13) recently with this build and just wanted to say, great guide and great build. I really like how you counter Yi's innate squishy-ness in your build it really makes him a monster. All in all great guide, it looks good and the build is awesome +1
1
[-]
PrinceVinc (2) | September 19, 2012 1:45pm
Just a thought correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't be 2x AD 1x Armorpen Quints better early on? That could increase the clear time early on, but I am not sure about it.
1
[-]
PrinceVinc (2) | September 19, 2012 4:39am
It´s kinda Irritating to see Maw of Malmortius in the Pictures but in the guide Itself not. I used to buy it even on Carry champs but after I read your explenation I will stop that :P
Im so excited to try this out because YI was one of my first champs I played and win with at the beginning. I would like an additional note when to use Surge.
I would use it with ult for a quick tower down or for ganking If im sure i can get them.

But an exact explanation would be nice +1
1
[-]
Badboy1205 | September 12, 2012 4:03pm
First time this i was 9/0/4 :))) but ended 14/4/10 nice build
1
[-]
Palthios (78) | September 10, 2012 9:12pm
Its sounds like they arent even sure what they want to do to fix him or the other champs they mentioned. Im not holding my breath, but at least they let us know theyre working on it.
1
[-]
NicknameMy (153) | September 10, 2012 1:38pm
1
[-]
Sparkimas | September 7, 2012 9:50pm
Made this account just to upvote both of your builds because they have both worked great for me. Decided to leave a comment on this one because its the build my matchmaking teams rage at me most for using even when I do great. I've become so tired of hearing Yi isn't a jungler get back in lane and help (x) that in a matchmade game if my team refuses to stop telling me how to play I simply refuse to gank and just kill jungle mobs because I'd hate to shake up how they see a champion... plus when I do gank I always get accused of just trying to ks everyone so really whats the point... enough rambling though just wanted to let you know your builds are awesome and even if jungle yi getss downvoted into oblivion(I doubt that will happen anyone who tries this build would see that it's great) that doesn't change the fact that you are right jungle is the best place for Yi.

Tldr version: Use both your Garen and Yi builds and both are great. Jungle Yi gets way too much hate.
1
[-]
Alicus The Epic | September 6, 2012 12:42pm
Epic guide. This is a very good guide, i tumbled upon it when i was reading the garen guide and it's very strange to see it this low in the list... first time with master Yi as a jungler and it was an easy win.

very creative guide, very helpful, very indepth, simply epic. Thank you and i hope to see more
1
[-]
novahritan | September 3, 2012 9:43pm
would appreciate a lane version of the build. thanks!
1
[-]
Katz | September 3, 2012 9:00pm
My experience with the genre and Master Yi are limited, but I have been taking well to both since I have first started playing. That said, my results with this build before and after I learned how to change it up depending on team composition have varied. I was also forced to play against 30's since the start due to the people I played with (if that means anything to you, that is).

While I lack screenshots I remember the important scores. My worst game was 2/14/10, and my best was 27/0/16. I even managed a penta-kill and two quadra-kills that game. If I had to give an average on how well I generally do, then I would say the score tends to be around 8/5/12 in standard pub games.

Overall I'd say this ends up working better than most other builds I have tried. Evening out his flaws to a tolerable level feels like the safer option than just building mid-to-late suicidal glass-cannon Yi. He already has enough to run in and cause havoc so durability definitely helps, especially when it decides whether or not you keep someone from reaching their tower in time for the kill (when you get frozen mallet) and if you survive the tower shots should you fail the gank or end up tower diving.

+1

Edit: I agree with an earlier opinion on 'pros' and how people generally follow builds, why the meta is what it is, and etc. Something around those lines.

Winning ends up taking priority over enjoying the game itself and trying new things. Disappointing, but true. Such a thing feels impossible to escape in gaming.
1
[-]
Palthios (78) | September 3, 2012 12:44pm
"You didn't factor in that you go either 21/9/0 or 9/21/0."

I didnt have to factor that in because that wasnt my point. My point was: What tree offers more jungle utility, because you were dead set that the offense tree offers nothing but useful stats to a jungler. The outcome is no different if you factor in the 9 or not.

"1. 3% MS are great, yes, but only if you are above 70% HP. And Master Yi already has the highest base MS with one of the highest MS steroids in the game, so I don't see the point of getting it."

You dont get it because youre entirely missing the point. You get that bonus when youre above 70% health. Its not meant to be an in combat boost, so your argument is irrelevant. It gets you to the fight faster which increases your gank potential and it helps you move around the map faster. Youre not going to use your Ult to move from one side of the map to another... This mastery is also based on a percentage so the more base MS you have, the more effective the mastery will be. Your argument makes no sense.

"2. CDR, why would you need this on Yi? In fights, CDR will not help you. You either get your skills refreshed by your ult and you can fight on, or you don't get that and your CD will be either with or without that 8% to long to do anything."

I get this because youre not always lucky enough to get a kill and reset your cooldowns.

"For the GP10, you don't factor in that those items also give other stats than the gold. Just the HP rgeen and flat HP are earlygame for Master Yi very important. And my games with Amumu defenitly show me that gold items are even effective if you don't upgrade them.
Also, the jungle provides less gold than top lane so you can't really compare that. Junglers atm also go for 3 gp10 items if they have enough gold for them before 11 mins."

Do you have a selective reading condition or something lol? "HoG is over half the cost of a Giants Belt and it gives you less then half the HP." Thats exactly what I said in my last post. Obviously Im taking the items stats into account. What youre not taking into account is the point I made last post. The items arent cost effective and your taking a huge risk as to whether the items will generate any profit for you, if you dont use the items they build into. And you dont seem to get that. The only time Ive ever seen a jungler get 3 GP10 in a tournament was Nunu and the player ended up getting Reverie, Randuins and DFG. He didnt buy those items to sell later on.

Why would I spend over 800 gold on a 200 HP GP10 when I could use that to buy Frozen Mallet, which is infinity more useful. Why would I get a sustain GP10 when I have Wriggles? No one does that. You get Philo on champions that dont use Wriggles, because they serve the same purpose. Youre suggesting that I slow down my build to get GP10 items, which give me benefits that I already have in my build. And your suggesting that I do this because theres a slight off chance that the game will last long enough for me to make a profit...

We can keep going back and forth like this, but at the end of the day, Im not going to do what you suggest. Im not going to do something, or suggest that other people do things in my guide that will make them less effective.
1
[-]
DER DEUTSCHE (1) | September 3, 2012 8:12am
You didn't factor in that you go either 21/9/0 or 9/21/0. So the first 9 points of the tree you have anyway. That means, Armor, reduced dmg to minions and return of damage you have anyway if going 21/9/0.

Also, 2 things I don't understand:

1. 3% MS are great, yes, but only if you are above 70% HP. And Master Yi already has the highest base MS with one of the highest MS steroids in the game, so I don't see the point of getting it.

2. CDR, why would you need this on Yi? In fights, CDR will not help you. You either get your skills refreshed by your ult and you can fight on, or you don't get that and your CD will be either with or without that 8% to long to do anything.

These would be my 2 mastery pages:
Masteries
1/5
3/5
2/1
4/1
1/5
1/1
2/5
3/1
3/
1/
1/5
2/5
3/1
2/1
1/5
Masteries
1/5
1/5
2/1
4/1
1/1
1/5
3/5
3/1
2/1
4/1
2/5
1/1
1/5
3/1
1/

No need for crit, because this build doesn't focus on crit. Better Demolitionist because Yi is a natural tower pusher and backdoorer and he can use it really well. Also Brute Force alone is miles better than Deadliness . Even Havoc is better than that. And as you see, you still have the most important defense masteries in Hardiness , Tough Skin and Bladed Armor . The only three things really missing the offense are Juggernaut , Veteran's Scars and Durability . And now you have to decide between a bit more tankyness or a faster clear. I think it is pretty even.


For the GP10, you don't factor in that those items also give other stats than the gold. Just the HP rgeen and flat HP are earlygame for Master Yi very important. And my games with Amumu defenitly show me that gold items are even effective if you don't upgrade them.
Also, the jungle provides less gold than top lane so you can't really compare that. Junglers atm also go for 3 gp10 items if they have enough gold for them before 11 mins.
1
[-]
Palthios (78) | September 2, 2012 12:58pm
Starting with vamp was never a good idea. Its an even worse idea after the nerf. Im not going to recommend that anyone do that in my guide.

I talk about NOT replacing Wriggles with Bloodthirster in the guide and why its a bad idea.

From your comments, Im guessing you havnt read much of my guides. I talk extensively in my Garen guide about why its a bad idea to get gold GP10 items, if youre not going to use the item it builds into. Do you know how long it takes a heart of gold to pay for itself? About 27 minutes. So the game will need to last 27 minutes, after you buy HoG, just for you to break even on the item. You can then sell it for around 400g profit. Not bad. But how often do games last that long? 10% of the time at best? If you buy a GP10 item with the intention of selling it, all youre doing is slowing down your build progress, because it takes 27 minutes for those items to start generating profit, as items that youre going to sell. And theyre not cost effective items at all. HoG is over half the cost of a Giants Belt and it gives you less then half the HP. Dont buy GP10 unless youre going to use the item it builds into.

Now lets do a stat comparison on the mastery trees.

21 offense stats at lvl 18:
12 AD
4% ATS
10% armor pen/ 6 flat armor pen
+10% crit damage
3% lifesteal
+6% damage to targets under 40% health. Example: If your auto attacks deal 100 damage you will then deal 106 damage to targets under 40% health.

21 defense stats at lvl 18:
+6 armor
-2 minion damage
-2 all incoming damage
6 returned damage to minions
138 health
3% MS when above 70% health
8.1% CDR
3% increase health
10% reduction to CC

First lets talk about sustain. The offense tree gives you 3% lifesteal. At level 1 with 68 AD that translates to 2 health per hit. The defense tree gives you +6 armor for reduced damage, -2 minion damage (that alone beats the offense tree because youll be reducing damage from multiple targets at the same time), -2 all damage, as well as extra health.

Next lets talk about clear times. At level 1 the offense tree gives you 3 AD and 6 armor pen. The defense tree gives you 6 returned damage to minons. So every time the wraith camp hits you, you deal 24 damage back. That one mastery point deals more damage to wraiths then the entire offense tree combined at lvl 1. You could pick up Butcher in the offense tree but you then have to sacrifice either sustain or champion damage in order to do that.

Next lets talk about mobility. The offense tree gives you none and the defense tree gives you 3%. Extra MS means more farming and more ganks.

Next lets talk about the 21 tier masteries. Executioner gives you nothing but a 6% in damage and you dont even get that benefit until your enemy is almost dead. Juggernaut gives you 3% health and 10% CC reduction to help you survive the entire fight. The benefit of that stat is always with you.

Next lets just talk about the champion, because its now obvious which tree gives more jungle utility. So you know that Yi is weak defensively. We all know that. And you should know that the offense tree isnt giving him anything he doesnt already have. Hes a champion with 70AD and 80% ATS built into him already. The defense tree helps to counter his weak defense and it gives you the best jungle utility and sustain. The offense tree gives you damage and does nothing to counter his weaknesses or help him excel in his role as a jungler.
1
[-]
DER DEUTSCHE (1) | September 2, 2012 3:52am
But why and with which masteries you go 21 in defense? CDR and MS isn't needed on Yi, Honor Guard and Evasion suck and Vigor is only minimal usefull on Yi. The only things which would really help are Juggernaut , Indomitable , Veteran's Scars and ~ Durability but for that, you waste many points. In the offense instead, every mastery is usefull. Lifesteal gives you also more survival. And if you jungle faster, you also take less damage from jungle creeps overall.

Well, just explain it in your guide.

Also a general note to items and starting spell. If you expect that you can freely farm your jungle, then you should start with Vampiric Scepter because it is more cost efficient. But if you want to steal enemey buffs, kill the enemy jungler or think that he invades you, you should get Cloth Armor to have the ability to fight him. Same goes for starting spell. If you expect that you can freely farm you should start with Wuju Style because it is overall faster. If you expect that you invade the enemy jungler or get invaded, get Alpha Strike so you can stick to your enemy. It is also a good spell to last hit a single buff.

For things like that you generally have a situational section in your guide.

And finally, don't forget that you can replace Wriggle's Lantern with The Bloodthirster lategame. Okay, you loose some armor, but you get something really great for it.


Also, another Idea: Heart of Gold+ philosopher's stone. You may thing "omg why this on Yi", well, I can easily tell you. The jungle doesn't offer the gold Yi needs and both of those items are pretty effective. Nearly any tanky dps builds a gp10 item, so why not tanky dps yi? Just an idea nobody spoke about by now.
At this build if you start with the mastery and runes I suggested, you can also start with Regrowth Pendant and rush those gp10. You no longer need Wriggle's Lantern. Something like that:
Item Sequence











Health Potion
50

Faerie Charm
125

Boots of Speed
300

Health Potion
50

Health Potion
50

Nomad's Medallion
850

Heart of Gold
825

Phage
1250

Mercury's Treads
1100

Recurve Bow
1000

Wit's End
2500

Frozen Mallet
3100

Atma's Impaler
2300
This would be the basic build. After that, you should build against your enemy. Best items to get would be The Bloodthirster and Guardian Angel.
1
[-]
Palthios (78) | September 1, 2012 2:50pm

Masteries&Runes:
Personally I would prefer 21/9/0 masteries. Yeah, you lower your survival a bit, but the only thing you really loose is ~100 HP and the 2 point reduced dmg. That isn't much. You get way better things for that. Armorpen for example makes your jungling way better. And Lifesteal is great aswell. I would also take Butcher over Brute Force for even faster jungling.
With the armorpen from Sunder you can now also use AS runes, pros have calculated that 14% as and 12 armorpen from runes are perfect for Master Yi.

Builder:
http://lol.fanrealm.net/Y8P5q8RXhye9EbpqGPTQ/#stats

If you want you can optimize some calculations here.


The pros also calculated that Warmogs was a better item then Frozen Mallet. We all know what happened with that.

I need to update the masteries becuase I no longer use these. I use 9/21 now. 9 for late game armor pen and 21 because that tree offers the best utility to a jungler and counters Yi's weak defense. Theres nothing that far into the offense tree thats worth it for a jungler. Why do you need Sunder when you already deal true damage to all jungle creeps aside from the buffs with armor pen runes? Golem for example has 20 armor and you have 15 armor pen with my setup. That means your total 68 AD at level 1 gets reduced to 65... You also deal true damage with Alpha Strike because jungle camps dont have magic res. You dont need a faster clear then that. ATS runes are for jungle tanks that really need the help with clears and deal mostly magic damage anyway. Would the setup you mention increase Yi's jungle speed? It would. But that minor increase isnt worth the significantly less damage youd deal to champions.

Ive played this game long enough to know that you shouldnt be listening to everything pros have to say about builds, because most of them dont think for themselves. One day a pro will tell you that Boots of Mobility are ****. The next day, after he gets his *** kick by Azubu Blaze (whos jungler uses Boot of Mobility) that same pro player will tell you that those boots are OP. A year ago if you rushed Trinity Force on Irelia a pro player would tell you that you were ******ed because "youre building to 1v1 instead of building to teamfight with Warmogs". Today if you rushed Warmogs on Irelia that same pro player would tell you that youre ******ed for not building any damage.

Pro players change their minds all the time because they dont take risks with new builds and they dont think for themselves. All it takes is for one player to come along and succeed by doing something new to change an entire meta. Youll find that out for yourself the longer you play this game.
1
[-]
DER DEUTSCHE (1) | September 1, 2012 9:37am
Masteries&Runes:
Personally I would prefer 21/9/0 masteries. Yeah, you lower your survival a bit, but the only thing you really loose is ~100 HP and the 2 point reduced dmg. That isn't much. You get way better things for that. Armorpen for example makes your jungling way better. And Lifesteal is great aswell. I would also take Butcher over Brute Force for even faster jungling.
With the armorpen from Sunder you can now also use AS runes, pros have calculated that 14% as and 12 armorpen from runes are perfect for Master Yi.

Builder:
http://lol.fanrealm.net/Y8P5q8RXhye9EbpqGPTQ/#stats

If you want you can optimize some calculations here.
1
[-]
Mr_Sinister | August 30, 2012 10:43am
Really nice guide. Although I lost my first game with it I felt that I held my own nicely and the build just seemed fluid. I plan on playing jungle Yi more often now.
1
[-]
Mr Erth (1) | August 30, 2012 8:11am
Solid work. Original and effective. I've tried it out a couple of times and I like the feel. +1
1
[-]
AsIsgeres | August 30, 2012 12:39am
That's a nice guide and i shall definately test it. I too have been playing yi for over a year now, and I have tested everything. People build Yi as glasscannon because he is carry. Any carry is glasscannon. And I love glasscannon build, though if enemy team is tanky and i have no chance to survive long teamfights, after infinity and pd i go warmog atmas or frozen atmas. it gives survivability and damage and crit - everything a carry needs.

And btw, i noticed one thing i do not agree with you :
". If you start with a Vampiric Scepter you wont have potions to heal. If you dont have potions to heal, you cant gank without recalling first. You'll run a serious risk of giving your buffs to the enemy if you try to."

You don't need potions to heal. Get medidate at lvl 3, and its your perma-potion. yes, you would say it's a waste, but that's a thing that saved my life countless times :)

But overall, nice guide :)
One day I'll create something like this too. Though I'm dreaming of full Master Yi Resource - From ad carry lane champ, to ap carry mid :)
1
[-]
Nerdsinc | August 27, 2012 9:55pm
Palthios wrote:



No one is going to have Banshees during the laning phase, aside from maybe a super fed Ryze. The only other way you would see Banshees during the "laning phase", is if you just started playing LoL, and you're with teams that think pushing their starting lane the whole game is the only way to win. Or if you're playing AI games. Banshees is probably the least popular magic res item in the game at this point in time. By the time champs would start buying that, you'll have wuju maxed out.

My skill sequence, and I explained this in the guide, as well as the Q&A video, is all about what gives Yi the best utility as a jungler. In a strait up man to man fight, where no one is backing down, it would of course be better to have Wuju style maxed. But this is a jungle guide. AS A JUNGLER, you wont be experiencing that 9 times out of 10. As a jungler, you mainly enter into 2v1 situations. You need to deal as much damage as possible, in a short amount of time, because the enemy will of course be running away. In that situation, its better to have Alpha maxed. It gives you instant burst damage, as opposed to Wuju, which as you said, needs to deal its damage over a big duration.

And jungle clear times are everything. Faster clears, mean faster respawns, which means more gold. And faster clears mean more ganks. And more of both of the above, mean a greater chance of winning the game. If you don't max Alpha first as a jungler, you aren't jungling Yi correctly.


Hmmmm, point made... I shall try jungling Master Yi with Alpha Strike again and see how it shall go.....
1
[-]
Palthios (78) | August 27, 2012 2:24pm
Fred314159 wrote:

i really like the build but lving alpha first for jungling is just stupid XD (i did try it but it's to luck based to be viable) im still giving this build a +1 cause the build and guide were good but i think ill stick to the defualt jungle style with this build.


There is nothing luck based about it. Do the math. Even without procs, Alpha Strike does more damage to jungle camps then Wuju style.

Edit: Or you could check out the Skills section again. I just updated the guide with that information.
1
[-]
Fred314159 | August 27, 2012 8:48am
i really like the build but lving alpha first for jungling is just stupid XD (i did try it but it's to luck based to be viable) im still giving this build a +1 cause the build and guide were good but i think ill stick to the defualt jungle style with this build.
1
[-]
Umlaut | August 25, 2012 12:05am
Hello! Just won a 3v5 with your guide. http://i.imgur.com/m97ZH.jpg

3v5.

No glass cannon Yi build can do that. You can see I have a phantom dancer and an IE, but I actually built the Wriggles and Wit's end. Ended up selling the WE for the PD because, well, they had no AP and I wasn't paying attention. And then I had so much gold I could straight up buy an IE, so I sold the Wriggles and did it. This was on PBE, and we had three good players whereas they had 5 bad ones, but it was still incredibly close. They got all our turrets except the Nexus turrets. I could absolutely 1v1 any single member of their team and pulled off a lot of 1v2s as well. The thornmails did nothing. They couldn't get away. They couldn't kill me. The only thing they could do was GET DUNKED.

Also, spin-to-crit is an awesome guide.
1
[-]
Yatdane | August 24, 2012 2:42am
something I really love about your guides its the great knowledge you have of every champ, very detailed guide if you have the time bro I would like if you make a nunu or pantheon guide.... btw the stupid trolls they got envy lol :D ur guides are amazing
1
[-]
Yatdane | August 24, 2012 1:55am
hey u made a very balanced guide i love it just like spin to crit greetings bro :D
1
[-]
Palthios (78) | August 23, 2012 7:58am
Nerdsinc wrote:

His jungling may be quick, but then what about ganking? Wouldn't it be better to red buff slow+spam dmmg then insta burst a guy with a banshees?


No one is going to have Banshees during the laning phase, aside from maybe a super fed Ryze. The only other way you would see Banshees during the "laning phase", is if you just started playing LoL, and you're with teams that think pushing their starting lane the whole game is the only way to win. Or if you're playing AI games. Banshees is probably the least popular magic res item in the game at this point in time. By the time champs would start buying that, you'll have wuju maxed out.

My skill sequence, and I explained this in the guide, as well as the Q&A video, is all about what gives Yi the best utility as a jungler. In a strait up man to man fight, where no one is backing down, it would of course be better to have Wuju style maxed. But this is a jungle guide. AS A JUNGLER, you wont be experiencing that 9 times out of 10. As a jungler, you mainly enter into 2v1 situations. You need to deal as much damage as possible, in a short amount of time, because the enemy will of course be running away. In that situation, its better to have Alpha maxed. It gives you instant burst damage, as opposed to Wuju, which as you said, needs to deal its damage over a big duration.

And jungle clear times are everything. Faster clears, mean faster respawns, which means more gold. And faster clears mean more ganks. And more of both of the above, mean a greater chance of winning the game. If you don't max Alpha first as a jungler, you aren't jungling Yi correctly.

Extremis: You don't mention Surge which makes me think that you don't use it. Try it. Using it in combination with your ult means a greater chance of scoring a kill. That would of course reset your ult timer and give you more of both the stats you're craving. Otherwise, there is only one item I recommend on Yi that provides both the stats you're looking for. Ghostblade. You could try building it before or after Frozen Mallet and see how that works out for you.
1
[-]
Extremis | August 23, 2012 2:38am
Palthios wrote:

Nerdsinc: Your math makes perfect sense, but you're not taking instant burst or multiple targets into account. " you would attack approximately 7-8 times within those 10 seconds, meaning that you would do 210-240 bonus damage FROM YOUR E ALONE at level one." The Aplha Strike yi would do more damage then that INSTANTLY (300 instant damage to wolf camp for example). If you do get a proc on that camp, wuju doesn't have a chance of keeping up. 20% chance isn't very high, but you're chances of not getting at least 2 or 3 procs on your first run is very slim. I cant tell you how many times I received so many procs that I didn't know what to do with myself, because of how fast the clear was.

Extremis: Can you give me an example of a situation you were in where you felt you didn't have enough?


well if i already used my highlander ,i find myself very hard to escape from faster champions such as xin zhao and i also find myself attacking too slowly.so i was thinking if i should buy a PD,what do u think?
1
[-]
maeh | August 23, 2012 12:59am
Never liked yi, your garen guide made me try him, now i'm in love with this champion.
1
[-]
Nerdsinc | August 22, 2012 11:14pm
Palthios wrote:

Nerdsinc: Your math makes perfect sense, but you're not taking instant burst or multiple targets into account. " you would attack approximately 7-8 times within those 10 seconds, meaning that you would do 210-240 bonus damage FROM YOUR E ALONE at level one." The Aplha Strike yi would do more damage then that INSTANTLY (300 instant damage to wolf camp for example). If you do get a proc on that camp, wuju doesn't have a chance of keeping up. 20% chance isn't very high, but you're chances of not getting at least 2 or 3 procs on your first run is very slim. I cant tell you how many times I received so many procs that I didn't know what to do with myself, because of how fast the clear was.

Extremis: Can you give me an example of a situation you were in where you felt you didn't have enough?


His jungling may be quick, but then what about ganking? Wouldn't it be better to red buff slow+spam dmmg then insta burst a guy with a banshees?
1
[-]
Palthios (78) | August 22, 2012 6:21am
Nerdsinc: Your math makes perfect sense, but you're not taking instant burst or multiple targets into account. " you would attack approximately 7-8 times within those 10 seconds, meaning that you would do 210-240 bonus damage FROM YOUR E ALONE at level one." The Aplha Strike yi would do more damage then that INSTANTLY (300 instant damage to wolf camp for example). If you do get a proc on that camp, wuju doesn't have a chance of keeping up. 20% chance isn't very high, but you're chances of not getting at least 2 or 3 procs on your first run is very slim. I cant tell you how many times I received so many procs that I didn't know what to do with myself, because of how fast the clear was.

Extremis: Can you give me an example of a situation you were in where you felt you didn't have enough?
1
[-]
Extremis | August 22, 2012 3:30am
hi ,when using ur guide,i found myself lacking attack speed and movement speed .what should i do?
1
[-]
Nerdsinc | August 22, 2012 12:25am
Palthios wrote:

Atmas: Sunfire Cape following Frozen Mallet would make you too weak. Yi isn't a champ like... Lets say Renekton who has multiple sources of damage. Yi is completely reliant on auto attacks and Atmas gives you auto attack power, as well as defense at the same time. By comparing the price of Atmas to a BF Sword, cloak of agility, and Chain Vest, you can see the value is there. Especially for a champion that makes complete use of every stat provided. Someone like Renekton or Riven wouldn't, as crit is a bit of a waste on them. They're not pure auto attackers and they don't have abilities that crit like Garen or Gangplank.

Surge: I don't tell anyone that Surge is a must, because its not. Exhaust and Flash are just as viable. I recommend Surge because it works on Yi. If someone like, lets say Cho'Gath activated Surge, what would you do? You would just stay away from them until the duration ended. But you cant escape a Yi with red buff and ult very easily. His top tier chasing ability is what makes Surge viable on Yi. I also recommend it for this build because of how long I wait to build bonus ATS. Try something new.

Alpha Strike: I cant defend my position on Aplha anymore then I already have. If you need further convincing, check out these and look at the author names: http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/saintvicious-jungle-yi-103259 , http://solomid.net/guides.php?g=3478

jungle path: That is for people new to the role, who will most likely be playing with teams that dont know how to properly help a jungler. At the time I released this guide, that was a very common path that even high elo junglers used. Now its just for people starting in low elo games.

Thanks for the comment and vote :)


Interesting... The Sunfire vs Atmas debate is pretty subjective, but I understand where you're coming from.

About the Wuju Style vs Alpha Strike Debate, what do you think about the math that I did though?

What do you think about the numbers?

Oh yea and Cho'Gath with a Wits End, Tri Force and Surge is very scary, especially if he has red buff :) (I don't get Surge On Cho though....)
1
[-]
Palthios (78) | August 21, 2012 11:53am
Atmas: Sunfire Cape following Frozen Mallet would make you too weak. Yi isn't a champ like... Lets say Renekton who has multiple sources of damage. Yi is completely reliant on auto attacks and Atmas gives you auto attack power, as well as defense at the same time. By comparing the price of Atmas to a BF Sword, cloak of agility, and Chain Vest, you can see the value is there. Especially for a champion that makes complete use of every stat provided. Someone like Renekton or Riven wouldn't, as crit is a bit of a waste on them. They're not pure auto attackers and they don't have abilities that crit like Garen or Gangplank.

Surge: I don't tell anyone that Surge is a must, because its not. Exhaust and Flash are just as viable. I recommend Surge because it works on Yi. If someone like, lets say Cho'Gath activated Surge, what would you do? You would just stay away from them until the duration ended. But you cant escape a Yi with red buff and ult very easily. His top tier chasing ability is what makes Surge viable on Yi. I also recommend it for this build because of how long I wait to build bonus ATS. Try something new.

Alpha Strike: I cant defend my position on Aplha anymore then I already have. If you need further convincing, check out these and look at the author names: http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/saintvicious-jungle-yi-103259 , http://solomid.net/guides.php?g=3478

jungle path: That is for people new to the role, who will most likely be playing with teams that dont know how to properly help a jungler. At the time I released this guide, that was a very common path that even high elo junglers used. Now its just for people starting in low elo games.

Thanks for the comment and vote :)
1
[-]
Nerdsinc | August 21, 2012 6:13am

Very solidly written guide.



I upvoted it as it is a new and unique way to play Master Yi.

However, just some questions and suggestions that I would like to put up for discussion/debate:

1)Atmas... A very intresting item. However, if you do the math, it will only give you 40.38 bonus AD with this build. Why not just get a Sunfire as it does the exact same amount of damage albeit at a slower rate? You might be thinking: "Yea, but Atmas gives me crit rate" and "But hey! I can do more dammage with Atmas because the damage that it gives me is multiplied by the auto attacks I can do!" But the thing is, Sunfire doesn't require you to be auto attacking so you can still do damage if you're stunned AND it gives you bonus health, allowing you to survive longer to do bonus DoT.

2) Surge is also a very interesting spell... However, I question the effectiveness of it. You get 35 bonus AS for 12 seconds every THREE minutes. Compare that to exhaust, where you can render a champion's damage output to just a poke for 2.5 seconds, which is enough time for your team to kill the champion meaning that said champion will be useless for the whole teamfight. Exhaust is also more useful for ganks, as you have 2.5 seconds of time to get into Alpha Strike range. You can also use it to bait more effectively.

3) You get Alpha Strike at level one, saying that it greatly helps with jungling. But AT LEVEL ONE, your Alpha strike only does 90-100 (Depending on your Mpen and the buff camp's MR) damage with a 30% chance (Not very high)to deal 400 damage to minions hit by alpha strike. If you do not proc Alpha Strike's damage bonus, you end up with a 300 damage nuke at level 9, not counting MR.

If you were to get Wuju Style, at level 1, you would have a 30 damage bonus (when the ability is used) for 10 seconds, And if you were to attack at 0.75 attacks per second, (Possible with AS runes), you would attack approximately 7-8 times within those 10 seconds, meaning that you would do 210-240 bonus damage FROM YOUR E ALONE at level one. Sure, the spell has a 25 second cooldown, but that is irrelevant considering that you will get Alpha Strike at level 2.

But then again, you might be thinking "Omgzz, what about the CD?" But let's look at this from a level 9 perspective. At level 9, you would have 4 more seconds of CD with Alpha Strike then you would have with Wuju Style. 4 seconds might seem like quite a lot, but considering that level 9 is usually still early game, it will usually not cost you too much gank wise. Wuju Style has a +70 damage bonus at level 9. Combine that with Highlander (around 1.2AS with it on if you had masteries), then you would be doing 840 damage in a best case scenario. If you maxed out Alpha Strike first, then your Wuju Style would only be doing 300 damage in a best case scenario (with Wuju active).

So I've explained my reasoning for why I think Maxing Wuju Style at level 9 would be better gank and damage wise early game, but what about that sweet 400 damage proc? My answer to that is the Wriggles Lantern. Wriggles has a 20% chance of proc'ing the damage, but think of it this way:

CD on Alpha Strike at level 9: 10 seconds
AS at level 9 with your FM rush build and AS reds: 0.75 (still)

Every 10 seconds, you would have a 1*40% chance of proc'ing 400 damage.
Every 10 seconds, you have an 7-8*20 chance of proc'ing 425 damage.

Wriggles+70 Damage seems more viable in this scenario.

So if we look at it from all those angles, don't you think maxing Wuju would help Ganks more? Sure your jungling might be slowed down by 5 seconds, but 300 Gold>30 in most scenarios.

4 You suggest that Yi should start a Golems... But why? Your jungle would be a hell of a lot quicker if you just started at Wolves/Blue or Wraiths/Red. All you would need is a leash. And you would be able to do an elite level 2 gank quicker if you were to start Wolves/Blue or Wraiths/Red, more than often burning a flash spell on the enemy part or getting a kill.

On the topic of jungling, wouldn't AS reds make your jungling quicker? It would also make your early game gank damage output higher. Boots and 3 pots also seem superior to cloth+3 or 4 pots as Master Yi is an adept early game ganker. Utilizing movespeed to aid in early game ganks would greatly assist in getting kills. It also helps level one counter jungling which is what Yi is suprisingly good at.

Yi can steal wraiths and red (with help from a leash on red) then get away very quickly. Stealing Wraiths and Red can also aid with determining the location of the enemy jungler early game, more often than not leading to a suprise kill on your part. If you play Jungle characters enough, you'll know what I mean.
1
[-]
Calrak (1) | August 18, 2012 9:59am
This guide is amazing. It's how I've been trying to play my Yi, but I get called a noob for it, by narrow-minded people ("Yi should be played like this and this and you're a ****** for doing it in any other way").
This guide helped me a lot, thank you.
1
[-]
Athenriel (7) | August 17, 2012 2:58pm
Amazing guide! Complete, funny, original Yi build =D

A bit weird masteries but I will definitely try it out =P

+1
1
[-]
Sepehr76 | August 17, 2012 1:52pm
Good work continue
1
[-]
DarkPercy (151) | June 10, 2012 5:43pm
Wit's End: Okay I understand your choice. You're aiming at an even tankier Yi than I do xD.

Maw: What I meant by that is: not only do I think that you get too much MR (yes I know you can never actually get too much but I mean you could get damage instead), but it also doesn't provide a good DPS increase. It's simply not that great of a choice for autoattacking champions.

It gives one of the weakest and most abondant DPS stat: AD. Nothing else. The DPS increase it gives (even if you are low HP) is incredibly low compared to any other item. Like 3-4 times less gold efficient. Maw is more effective on champions that don't autoattack often and use spells that scale with AD instead: Garen, Talon, Pantheon, etc.

Surge: Yeah I understand better now. I like builds that are different so nice job.
1
[-]
Palthios (78) | June 9, 2012 7:21pm
1. I get wits end every game, if it gets to that point. Hes squishy and hes a pure auto attacker. Its a perfect fit and its cheap.

2. How is Maw not effective on Yi? More AD and more magic res is always good if youre up against a balanced team. If youre not, I spent extensive time detailing other items you can use. But yeah, I dont know what you mean. The AD/magic res/shield is always good and the missing health passive is based on a percentage of 0 to 100, so its just as effective on a champion with 2000 health as it is on a champion with 3000 health. What are you referring to when you say its not effective? An overabundance of magic res? Theres so many sources of magic damage in the game nowadays. Not just from the mage. Many tanks, supports and even some ranged carries deal notable magic damage through abilities.

3. If you dont like Surge, dont use it. I never once said it was vital to get and Flash/Exhaust are listed as the best replacements. I get it because it has synergy with my build and synergy with Yi. It doesnt work on other champions because the enemy will just kite when you activate it. With Yi, you use it in combination with his ult, so its really hard to avoid him with that move speed boost. Its even harder to get away when he has Frozen Mallet.

The AP is irrelevant. Surge was designed to be used by AD, AP and hybrid champions. Is the AP boost effective on Yi? No. But that alone doesnt mean its not a good choice.
1
[-]
DarkPercy (151) | June 9, 2012 4:54pm
Hello Palthios! I find your guide very inspiring and beautiful! I have to say that this guide will certainly help players get better at Master Yi but there are still some things that I think you should change.

Wit's End has no particular synergy with Master Yi and it gives a LOT less damage increase than any other physical DPS item. However, since Master Yi is an autoattack champion with high attack speed it still works pretty well on him. We both know that we buy Wit's End for the Magic Resist and not for the damage but here is my point: Are you always going to need that magic resist?

Too much resistance on Yi may be like not enough; it's not very effective... As an pseudo-Assasin, Yi should deal as much damage as he can....

I think Wit's End is good on Yi but I don't think it should be in your core build. I mean, I wouldn't get it every game.


Next, why get Maw of Malmortius if you already have Wit's End? Honestly, I completely disagree with that choice xD. If you'd do the maths, you'd realize how Ineffective it is to get Maw of Malmortius on Yi, ESPECIALLY when you already have Wit's End...


And the last point: Surge. Still doubt it's as good as you make it seem... I'll have to test some more but I really think Flash or Exhaust is simply better... Don't you think the AP is pretty wasted?


Once again, wonderful guide. I feel sorry for the troll downvotes you got (like the weijsterss dude lol).
1
[-]
rival kaz (12) | June 6, 2012 3:59pm
Just finished reading your guide
EPIC
When I play yi, I feel that wards are more useful than me
but when I see you play yi, its all like GETDUNKED
I will go practice the wuju style now, I hope that once I become
pro, your guide will also be number one.

Nice skins by the way- so jealous -.-

My scores with first two games with this build: 10/9/8 and 19/13/20
1
[-]
rival kaz (12) | June 6, 2012 3:27pm
I read the introduction and cried +1 from me
<3 the way some people still give love to yi
Didn't read all of the guide (dfenetly will after finishing writing this)
I also stand with you about trollvoters
UPvotes should not need a comment
DOWNvotes must ALWAYS need a comment aven after 20 first votes





If u have time check out my guide
1
[-]
utopus (297) | May 9, 2012 8:08pm
hey, It's utopus again, from Jai's review shop. I briefly commented on your guide earlier, but when i saw your guide pop up in jai's review shop, i wanted to have a real good look of your master yi guide, so where is what i have to say =)
  • this is a Solid build! You've improved this SO so much! I believe that Master yi is a bruiser, and not a carry like i see him being build like all the time .___.;
  • I like the the way your guide is formatted; Especially the pictures! I usually have to tell guide makers that their guide is lacking a sufficient amount of pictures. You are an exception though! :)
    • Believe if or not, i think this guide may still need a few more pictures, especially for the late game team fights. Its just that during that phase of the game, there is so much chaos going on, that every little bit of help your guide can give to your readers will benefit them greatly. Like for example, It is common knowledge that master yi should not initiate team fights at that point in the game, and initiating wiht Alpha Strike is nearly a death wish. With that in mind, i tihnk that you should give some examples (through pics if possible) of when to Alpha Strike and when to Highlander in.

    If you found my advice helpful, please feel free to +rep me, and check out my twitch guide - the links in the signature below.
    Best of luck
    ~u
1
[-]
Anero | May 7, 2012 2:05pm
This guide and the original one are the best guides about Yi here... glass cannon yi doesn't fit the current meta in any way, and his in built damage makes him an obvious tanky dps.
1
[-]
weijsterss | May 6, 2012 2:27am
utopus wrote:

very solid guide! i like how you use Surge effectively - that's pretty rare taht i see it used!
also, very original build! Dunkmaster yi's just don't seem that appealing all the time xD
+1 may this guide see much success in the future!

go watch my build ;) u will be amazed its named: master yi: total epicness
1
[-]
weijsterss | May 6, 2012 2:25am
relative seen u have low damage and very very VERY low attack rate that extra hp cant do what damage and attack rate can do. take a short look at my master yi build (made it today) i dont have as much hp as u but u hit 2.5 times more then u and i have a 2.500 attack rate (the max)
1
[-]
TaoOfJeetKuneDo | May 3, 2012 9:50am
One of the most thoughtful and well written Yi guides I've come across. Actually balances weaknesses and takes more things into consideration than spammy builds.
1
[-]
Palthios (78) | April 25, 2012 4:27pm
lol

The Ionia skin is great. That was the first Yi skin I bought and I thought it was gonna be the last. Then headhunter came out and I had to get it :)

Thanks for the support guys.
1
[-]
Tina (6) | April 25, 2012 3:56pm
... lulz my actual comment is above this.
1
[-]
Tina (6) | April 25, 2012 3:55pm
Really good, I´d usually prefer a crit based build with Yi, cause it works so nicely with his kit, but of course you can only steamroll lesser enemies with that and often enough simply killing towers is your best bet then ...

I sometimes play like that when I get fed or something, but in most games I´m using your build now and it works wonders :-)
Really nice.

The only thing I hate about you is that you own the headhunter skin, while I only have the ionia skin, which is quite nice imo, but headhunter is just better ... damn it^^

Definetely +1
1
[-]
bluhahin | April 24, 2012 8:05pm
Still awesome.
1
[-]
SorenRada (1) | April 24, 2012 12:41am
Hey palthios sorry about your guide getting downvoted for stupid reasons but I tried this out and it really does work which you obviously knew so I wanted to make sure and up vote you to help you out
1
[-]
Vrencore | April 23, 2012 5:19pm
I'm using it now as I type this.
1
[-]
jwyang97 (1) | April 22, 2012 6:44pm
trying to counteract troll votes
1
[-]
UsernameSayWha (14) | April 18, 2012 5:44am
Getting a half decent guide to number one is what I wanna accomplish.
1
[-]
Palthios (78) | April 18, 2012 3:05am

They never made guides here in the first place. lol. And a build is a good part of a guide. And there's thi thing called FARMING! It's crazy. An that's exactly what AD Carries do. They sit bot with their support and last hit. Yi should clean-up. Not sit in the middle of the fight. So this makes cleaning up useless. Yi should be able to rip apart the AD Carry. This build can't. It's like building AD on Annie. Cool. It works. But it's outclassed. Why build this when you have Shyvana? Maybe try this build on Garen. It might work better. Just because I don't have a huge amount of wins, means I don't have a general knowledge of the game. Someoeb with a good general knowledge of the game doesnt build boots of swiftness on Garen and say that tank Garen sucks. There's this thing called base stats. Master Yi had the base stats of a Meele squishy or a clean-up. Not an Off-tank. Garen doesn't have the base stats of a carry. It's just my opinion. Good luck with all the people who blindly up vote so they get rep. Next time someone gives you some constructive criticism, try not to burst a gasket. Good day sir.



Again, this shows how much you know. The CLG crew used to make guides here until players like you would go into their guides and tell them how they should play the game. Their guides are expired but still available to look at.

Second, no one is blindly upvoting this. You blindly downvoted based on what you think you know about Yi. You keep talking about what this build should be capable of and it actually IS capable of everything your saying it should be. But you wouldnt know that.

Lastly, constructive criticism goes out the window when you immediately downvote someone's guide without even trying it out. You can sit there and say that you have if you want to, but I know thats not the case just by reading your comments. You sound like someone that calls themselves a Star Trek expert because they once saw a show where an old bald white guy was caption of a space ship.

Good luck to you in whatever it is that you plan on accomplishing on this site.
1
[-]
UsernameSayWha (14) | April 17, 2012 8:44pm
They never made guides here in the first place. lol. And a build is a good part of a guide. And there's thi thing called FARMING! It's crazy. An that's exactly what AD Carries do. They sit bot with their support and last hit. Yi should clean-up. Not sit in the middle of the fight. So this makes cleaning up useless. Yi should be able to rip apart the AD Carry. This build can't. It's like building AD on Annie. Cool. It works. But it's outclassed. Why build this when you have Shyvana? Maybe try this build on Garen. It might work better. Just because I don't have a huge amount of wins, means I don't have a general knowledge of the game. Someoeb with a good general knowledge of the game doesnt build boots of swiftness on Garen and say that tank Garen sucks. There's this thing called base stats. Master Yi had the base stats of a Meele squishy or a clean-up. Not an Off-tank. Garen doesn't have the base stats of a carry. It's just my opinion. Good luck with all the people who blindly up vote so they get rep. Next time someone gives you some constructive criticism, try not to burst a gasket. Good day sir.
1
[-]
Palthios (78) | April 17, 2012 3:45pm

The funny thing is, she doesn't rape one target at a time, she rapes ONE target. She's a burst mage, and once that burst is gone, she's next to useless. Any half decent player would tell you, focus the AD Carry. Having a video is not proof. You could be playing against a bunch of idiots for all I know. Q jungle is luck based. Nuff said. It's like building pure glass cannon and relying on pre dodge removal ninja tabi. It's not consistent. And mid is not the safest place. Bot is. With a support. :)


Have you ever played Annie? Shes not a mage like Gragas that only has one chance to land her DPS. Her cooldowns are among the shortest in the game for a mage. And she doesnt need to get fed to do a lot of damage. Ranged carries do. Especially Ashe who is weaker then most ranged carries because of her utility. And thats the thing. Shes a utility carry. Shes there for her slows and her stun. Its her job to kite you. And thats exactly what a good Ashe will do. Kite you around, do little damage (until late game), while Annie (the burst damage mage with no escapability), nukes down your whole team. And that was the whole point of that section. To show you how to pick a focus based on damage, mobility and durability.

My focus list does not apply to every team comp. The mage should not ALWAYS be the main focus. But in this case, Annie is. Shes the only AP threat and shes a big threat with no mobility. If you actually took the time to look at the team comp, you might realize that shes the only champion on that list with no mobility or kite ability. But its not like you actually read my guide. You just skimmed through it. The comment you left on my Garen guide is proof of that. "Why would you build an on hit item when you focus on Garen's spin?"... If you actually read my guide, you would know how dumb that question is.

But you havent read either. You just looked at the title of my Garen guide and assumed. Youre just like every Know It All troll that downvotes guides because they dont like the build. Because you think its not the right way. And thats why your opinion will never be respected here. Go back under the bridge and get your meal somewhere else. Youre a prime example of why professional players stopped making guides here. Players like yourself with under 300 wins thinking they know better then everyone else.
1
[-]
UsernameSayWha (14) | April 16, 2012 3:52pm
The funny thing is, she doesn't rape one target at a time, she rapes ONE target. She's a burst mage, and once that burst is gone, she's next to useless. Any half decent player would tell you, focus the AD Carry. Having a video is not proof. You could be playing against a bunch of idiots for all I know. Q jungle is luck based. Nuff said. It's like building pure glass cannon and relying on pre dodge removal ninja tabi. It's not consistent. And mid is not the safest place. Bot is. With a support. :)
1
[-]
Palthios (78) | April 15, 2012 5:21pm

1. Yi is not the fastest jungler.
2. Don't wanna sound like a MASTER YI ES NUMERO UNO CARRY AJAJAJA nub but, he should be built almost pure offensively. (With items like QSS and Mallet)
3. lolsurge. Ghost/Flash>Surge any day. It's so bad.
4. Max E first. You CANNOT rely on luck to jungle.
5. You HAVE to use your Q to gank. You have no CC, or gap closer. They're just gonna walk out of the gank.
6. You should focus Ashe first. Not Annie. Annie has good initiation burst yes, but, once that's gone, she can hit Q. And that's it. Focus Ashe who has constant, high, dps.



Everything that youve said has been sufficently proven wrong in my guide. Theres more then enough video proof. You just dont want to believe that this way of master yi can work. Thats fine. Dont give a **** if you do. I made this guide for people that are willing to try it out.

As for Annie vs Ashe... Who would you rather target? The person that rapes one target at a time, or the person that rapes a whole team? Theres a reason that mages go mid. Its the safest place for the highest value target to be. On a team where theres only one AP threat, the mage is the highest value target.
1
[-]
UsernameSayWha (14) | April 15, 2012 4:49pm
There is so much false information I can't upvote it. -1
1
[-]
UsernameSayWha (14) | April 15, 2012 4:48pm
1. Yi is not the fastest jungler.
2. Don't wanna sound like a MASTER YI ES NUMERO UNO CARRY AJAJAJA nub but, he should be built almost pure offensively. (With items like QSS and Mallet)
3. lolsurge. Ghost/Flash>Surge any day. It's so bad.
4. Max E first. You CANNOT rely on luck to jungle.
5. You HAVE to use your Q to gank. You have no CC, or gap closer. They're just gonna walk out of the gank.
6. You should focus Ashe first. Not Annie. Annie has good initiation burst yes, but, once that's gone, she can hit Q. And that's it. Focus Ashe who has constant, high, dps.
1
[-]
Fallenlife (1) | April 12, 2012 5:26am
a little different then how I build a tanky Yi but this also brings out his damage effectively though his attack speed. upvoted
1
[-]
Lilarcor (17) | April 11, 2012 5:11pm
Hi sir Palth. I do like your guide with Yi. And it is very Effective not just in Back dooring but also when making ganks and clashes. And also when doing 1 v 1 with other champs. Great Guide and very unique among other Yi guides. +1 ^_^
1
[-]
Brodienz (20) | April 11, 2012 5:18am
So much time went in to this it would be impossible to downvote it or criticise it! Awesome build with a huge amount of detail. My only reluctance to vote comes from not wanting you to go past the 20 vote mark again! I haven't played Yi in a while, but now I'm going to, you have renewed my sense of love for Yi. Cheers!
1
[-]
lambaste | April 10, 2012 7:02pm
I LOVE YOUR GUIDES AND...you are EPIC!!!!! Keep up the awesome work :p
1
[-]
Ledinax (1) | April 10, 2012 2:43pm
I only have to say one thing: Haters gonna hate. Incredible build that has saved my *** more than once.
By the way, have u tested replacing those 5 points in Lethality and Deadliness with Sorcery and Arcane Knowledge ? Not only Critical damage is useless on this build, but also the CDR and Magic Penetration are somewhat helpful...

EDIT: Just saw the "new" masteries and runes section. My bad :( Anyway, keep the good work! Congrats again for your guide!
1
[-]
RealmriderX1 (91) | April 10, 2012 11:52am
SO.
****ING.
FANCY.
1
[-]
Agoney (155) | April 10, 2012 7:35am
Take a stand my friend! Amazing guide all over ; gl with the trolls :D
1
[-]
MagicHorse | April 10, 2012 1:36am
You have done a great guide, I loved the original one and I love this one. I use your spin to crit build with garen.
1
[-]
utopus (297) | April 9, 2012 6:40pm
very solid guide! i like how you use Surge effectively - that's pretty rare taht i see it used!
also, very original build! Dunkmaster yi's just don't seem that appealing all the time xD
+1 may this guide see much success in the future!
1
[-]
utopus (297) | April 9, 2012 6:40pm
very solid guide! i like how you use Surge effectively - that's pretty rare taht i see it used!
also, very original build! Dunkmaster yi's just don't seem that appealing all the time xD
+1 may this guide see much success in the future!
1
[-]
Jpikachu1999 (151) | April 9, 2012 5:58pm
Well, I liked the guide before, and it looks even better now! I'll review it more deeply when I get the chance.
1
[-]
Argat (1) | April 9, 2012 4:50pm
nice improvement over the original guide
1
[-]
XxToGoodForYouxX | April 9, 2012 4:36pm
This was a very good build/guild, thank you for helpinjg me out :)