Pimping Lane or Mid.
- Mage runes are pretty self explanatory for a mage, but movement speed? Utilizing extra movement speed allows Swain to use his stun without putting himself in danger most of the time. The extra movement helps later in preventing enemies from being able to get away with a little bit of health and for switching lanes for team fights and jungling. The cooldown runes are not much, but do help in lane and crowd control as the game goes on. Replace as desired with ability power or magic penetatration.
- Masteries are generalized for the same context as the runes. Often the added experience and gold can help when Swain does get a little down on health points early in addition to the extra mana, mana regen and clarity all helping to stay in lanes perpetually without running out of mana or health often amid fights early and late game.
- Rabadon's Deathcap is the real item, not Zhonya's Ring. Magic penetration and ability power using Archangel's Staff twice to boost mana and ability power has seemed the most common item build that works well. Adding cooldown instead of a second Archangel's Staff can help Swain have more abilities in combination but can also leave him lacking a little in mana and ability power.
- Skills are important to being a Pimp. Stunning is owning. Even Vlad will have a hard time against the relentless Pimpage that Swain can output with his W. Contrary to popular belief, using E before W is the best way to go for damage output and best suited to comboniations as cooldowns can be boosted to give an extra ability use per combo. However it has its drawbacks as casting something before a stun often gives up the location in bushes allowing the enemy to dodge the stun.
- Like the skills, Summoner Spells are paramount to Pimpage. Clarity and Ghost allows for the player to feint as if they are hurt with low health and no mana, turn on the Pimpage with a W, Clarity, R, E, Q, Ghost combo (adjustable) and soon E and Q are up again just before W 3:D
- Regarding team play, Swain works excellent with one tank and a few crowd control champs that can do a decent amount of dps. Another mage is not a bad especially if they have a stun or disable. In team fights Swain often will live last due to his Ultimate.
- Lastly, farming with W is easy enough but be careful as it can leave Swain vulnerable. Lane phase can be a challenge if the enemy champ can dodge the stuns well enough and turn on some counter damage. Focusing on Swain when he joins a battle can counter him if it does enough damage but also can give Swain a pentakill if it fails.
- Using an adaptable form of ability combinations can surprise the enemy, keeping them guessing as well as create an endless barage of magic damage that even turrets cannot help a player survive.