Sion Build Guide by Quiixotic
Not Updated For Current Season
Standard Tank Build
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Pros / Cons
- Amazing Teamfighting
- Great AoE CC
- Good Peel/Engage
- Ult can single handedly save your team or turn around a teamfight
- Infinitly Scaling HP (multiplied with CinderHulk)
- W grants an extra 400hp-600hp shield late game
- Brick wall late game, but decent ganks post lvl3
- Still usefull even when behind
- Clears aren't overly fast
- All forms of CC (Q, E, R) CAN be missed
- When his abilities are on CD (or when he's in his passive) he is easily kited and doesn't serve anymore of a purpose besides absorbing a metric ****-ton of dmg
Greater Mark of Attack Damage
Greater Seal of Armor
Greater Glyph of Magic Resist
Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist
Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage
- Greater Mark of Attack Damage - Standard marks for an AD Tank. Armor Pen marks could be used, however i'd deem them as useless seeing as only half of your abilities deal physical dmg and you aren't building any damage with this build to scale with pen anyways.
- Greater Seal of Armor - Once again, fairly standard seals. Scaling armor could be used but I prefer flat seals for early clears and ganks (Besides you're going to be building a lot of armor anyway)
- Greater Glyph of Magic Resist
Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist - I run 3 flat and 6 scaling mr glyphs as a healthy medium; Firstly, you're usually going to be building armor or health first, so it's nice to passively gain a bit more mr for those mid-late game fights. However, that doesn't mean you aren't going to need any mr through-out the early-mid game. Between ganking lanes once you hit lvl 3 and possibly even skirmishing with an enemy AP jungler, you are going to need at least some early mr.
There are actually multiple mastery variations that you can run with Sion. However, in this build we are going full tank (just for a few more swag points) leaving us with either the option of running 9/21, or 0/21/9. Although the small extra bit of move speed and sustain is convenient in the early stages of the game, once you hit lvl 6 you wont be having any more mana problems nor will you need the extra movespeed as you'll already have your boots, so i'll give the edge to 9/21, for slightly more damage and cc early and late game, plus extra damage on a target for your whole team (flat+scaling ad, cdr for your abilities, and expose weakness)
Since all the other items in this guide are more or less self explanatory as to why to get them (e.g Hunters machete start as a jungler) this section will be reserved for the options you have available for your post-core tank items, when and why to get each one.
[*] Warmogs is usually one of your first tank items to get, assuming that you aren't rushing into defenses. The reason it's a great item on Sion is due to your Soul Furnace scaling with health, and also Warmogs passive, which helps you regen a lot of health when moving around the jungle in between skirmishes and ganks in the early-mid game.
The only time you wouldn't rush Warmogs after your core is if
a) There is already a fairly fed carry on the enemy team (e.g Cassio mid, Jinx bot, Fiora top).
b) If their team is over 4/5 ap or 4/5 ad in which then you would rush your primary Hp+Defense item
(so in the case of a fed adc, you would most likily rush a Randuins Omen, or a fed ap mid you'd get Banshee's vail).
c) They have one fed, or multiple champs on the enemy team that have HP shred/true dmg (Vayne adc w/ BotRK etc) in this case you'd go for hp+defense item or a purely defense item. (Thornmail, Frozen Heart)
[*] The next item you should be looking at after your core is Randuins Omen. This is a great all around item, granting a lot of health + armor, and also 2 handy passives which add to your utility.
DO GET THIS ITEM IF:
[*] The enemy team has a fed AD champ (Fiora, Riven, Talon, Rengar etc.)
[*] The enemy team is mostly gonna be dealing Physical damage
DO NOT GET THIS ITEM (FIRST) IF