Garen Build Guide by ilikepieandpi
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Hello. I'm ilikepieandpi. I am not a pro, but I've been playing Garen since I was a wee little noob. So, we are building Garen as mostly a tank and a touch of attack damage. I have found that this works, as I've gone 18/3/18 with this build. I hope it helps you well. And please, I'm actually still not level 30 yet, so calm down.
Pros and Cons
Judgment can crit and does good damage early game, also good for farming
His ult is one of the best finishers I've seen
He can get away easily with Decisive Strike
Big fat sword
Most ranged champions counter his passive
Courage kinda sucks
Only one CC
Build is pretty expensive
He shouts,"To the battle!" when he is running away
Judgment, or E, is your main source of damage. It also is good early game. Max it first.
Decisive Strike, or Q, is a nice tool that helps you run away, catch up, and silence. Max it second.
Demacian Justice or R, is a good finisher that deals damage depending on the opponent's health. Max it third, because it is impossible to max it first, second, or last.
Courage, or W, is not very good. It doesn't reduce that much damage. Max it last. (No, we aren't saving the best for last this time.)
Flash - An essential summoner spell for everyone. If Decisive Strike isn't enough to escape, try Flash. If that doesn't work, and there are no turrets or allies to save you, prepare to die.
Ignite- If a champion you're chasing is ahead, if in range, Ignite them. Don't use Flash to catch up. I learned that the hard way.
Speaking of which, how do you Ignite Brand?
1. Boots of Speed and 3 Health Potions - Everybody knows that cheap bits of mobility and "health" is a good starter.
2. Ninja Tabi - It will give you mobility AND some armor to increase survival chances.
3. Phage - Many AD champions use Phage for some attack damage. Garen needs some of that too.
4. Frozen Mallet - What an item! It gives you TONS of health and attack damage with an icy passive.
5. Giant's Belt - For just 1000 gold, this item is a part of many tanky items. Take it.
6. Sunfire Cape - Another tanky item. It also gives those enemies a little burn. By now, you should have more health than most of your teammates.
7. Thornmail - Great armor item. You could be AFK for 15 seconds and still not die when there is an enemy champion attacking you. (Kidding.)
8. Warmog's Armor - AWESOME HEALTH ITEM. Gives you 1000 health. You should be at least level 12 here. If not, we got a problem.
9. Randuin's Omen - Where's Randuin? This item will add the finishing touch and get even MORE health and armor.
Ok. Your standard attacking and ganking sequence when you attack is Q, then E. If you're losing health a little too fast, press W and autoattack. Repeat until they have low health, then use R. If it is not ready yet, try what you can. If you are less than 2000 health and have less health than all enemies' health combined and you have no help around you, run away.
Young Grasshopper, you are now ready to attempt to go to The Fields of Justice. Beware of Tryndameres. Fare well.