What is the "Will to Survive"?
The "Will to Survive" is much like modern life's will to live. What is the will to live? Wikipedia states that the will to live is "The will to live is a psychological force to fight for survival, particularly when one's life is threatened by an injury or disease such as cancer. Some physicians believe that it plays an important role in one's chances of survival. There are significant correlations between the will to live and existential, psychological, social, and, to a lesser degree, physical sources of distress. The difference between the wish to die versus the wish to live is a unique risk factor for suicide."
Wow, so did you think that your own will can save your life as well as end it. Basically it what I like to call the miracle gene, the last thing that submits in your body when your mind is gone, and your heart stops beating.
How does it affect my game play?
Chances are you know who the hell that ^ guy is. If not that's Gerard Butler playing King Leonidas from 300. He was a king among all badasses, and so were his spartans. The spartan motto was simple "Never retreat, never surrender!" A motto to live by except people don't live by it in LoL.
So your a few kills down, it seems their carry or mid has been fed and maybe you can't seem to get a break what does your team do, they surrender. The game ends with you taking a defeat and you somewhat feel glad to be away from it. All well in good, but you see the path to surrender is actually a cycle than begins earlier on and affects the game negatively. This is the "Will to Survive". We have seen turn-around games where it only takes one or two team fights to make a team make the final push for Nexus. Damn, quite a turn-around. This is due to a team's strong will to survive. While a negative will to survive for a team doesn't let them ever see that potential. But why does this happen most percent of the time, it could be being completely outranked. No, what about just a horrible team. Maybe, someone trolling, yeah a possibility. But the biggest reason the will to survive fades and affects the team negatively is just a bad mood.
What does it take to onset a bad mood and downright decrease in skill. Well many things here are the most common factors.
- They feel the player against them is in a League (aren't I funny?) of their own and no player could defeat them.
- They feel after giving up 2 or 3 kills, there's no way they can recover from this.
- They feel their team is not up to the task of aiding in victory.
- They feel like they don't aide the team in anyway.
All of these reasons and more start to take a toll on the player until the number one killer of all player skills happen: FRUSTRATION
When a player gets hit with an onset of frustration, they take a nose dive. Symptoms of Frustration include:
- Saying that they give up and no longer care about what happens.
- Start to get angry and throwing themselves into fights they can't win in order to brutally meddle their way into a kill.
- Blaming other people.
- Asking to SURRENDER
Especially that last one! Now when that happens due to this, there going to let enemy champions get more kills on them they get sloppy to run into situations they would normally avoid. With more deaths, frustration increases and they dig themselves into a deeper hole. As a player you need to realize when your frustrated and try to fix it and not try these solutions above, because they only make things worst.
Being a Team
The 1# thing that players need to realize is that no matter how down they are, they are apart of a team and that their team would fare worst without them. Remember its a high chance to win a 4v5. Keep saying that to yourself to keep you feel important to the team. Everyone has their roles and without them the team will fall apart.
- Tank/Support, the team lacks a safe way to initiation, the carry lacks someone to protect and the team loses a big interrupter for team fights. With supports, the AD Carry lacks a crutch the team lacks any sort of backup.
- Jungler, the team lacks solid and consistent ganks throughout the laning phase. Lanes cannot push freely without feeling secure. The carry doesn't feel pressured.
- Mid Mage, the team lacks a strong AP oriented champion. Most of the time the team loses a great pusher and any hard CC and nukes.
- AD Carry, a team without a carry will fail. The team's raw damage output decreases significantly. Without an AD Carry a team cant get back on their feet.
- Solotop, without this bruiser or assassin your team lacks a solid backbone to put pressure on the top lane which will keep the jungler off of bot. Also the team loses a decent damage output that can help focus enemies and put pressures on team fights.